Author Topic: Elite's Roulette v. 2 - We're done; final results.  (Read 21398 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Roulette v. 2 - Round 3 Results
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
Round 4 results will be here tomorrow! Thanks for the patience.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »
I look forward to seeing them, and hopefully moving on to the next round :caffeine:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
SWEET!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »
:caffeine:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Roulette v. 2 - Round 4 Results
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
So, my excuses for the very late results for this round. As I've said before, I've been very busy for the past week. I'm pretty busy in general anyways, but last week was yet another extreme exception. I did however get to listen to every song multiple times and here are your results for them. There wasn't really a standout track like in previous rounds, but nevertheless, I got some fine music from you guys, so thanks! Now, results:

Straight on through to the next round: :D

Participant: Nekov
Band: Galleon
Song: Engines of Creation

What a fine progressive metal song. Nothing bad about it at all, but nothing really noteworthy either. Kind of middle-of-the-road, yet very solid. The chorus is pretty cool though and the short guitar breaks that pop up everywhere in the song are pretty awesome as well. Just a solid submission, really!

Participant: jingle.boy
Band: Dec Burke
Song: Small Hours

Well, you have yet to disappoint me with any submission. This was another very good pick. Again, it's mainly the chorus that makes this song worthwhile, although the entire sound of this song makes me want to hear more from this band (or man; is 'Dec Burke' a name?). I'll go listen to the whole album if I ever have time, because this was really pretty awesome.

Participant: kingshmegland
Band: Rocket Scientists
Song: Revolution Road

Progressive metal with some random eastern influences, yay! Why the hell not? Another really solid pick from you as well, but nothing really stood out on this track. I'm curious to see what you'll bring to the table next round.

Where it became a little more difficult: ???

Participant: Lolzeez
Band: Yo La Tengo
Song: Ohm

Here's a warning for you; another one of those weird picks and you're out next round, because the three players above you have delivered nothing but awesomeness for the past 4 rounds, while you've been floating closely to the exit for the past 3. I'll say that this song was quite okay though, with a couple of memorable lines here and there, but mostly it sounded like 7 minutes of 'the same' to me, which is not really a good feat. That said, the song did engage me in a way, so you may stay for another round.

---

Unfortunately eliminated: :(

Participant: senecadawg2
Band: The Antlers
Song: Sylvia

I thank you for your detailed description of what the song is about, but frankly, if I can't hear what the singer is saying, because the whole sound of the song is deliberately muffled, I don't give a damn what he's saying. And that's my biggest, and probably only, gripe with this 'indie rock' of these days. Bands that deliberately make their songs sound 'bad' for the sake of doing that. There's nothing 'authentic' about it, it's just very annoying to me. I've yet to hear a band using this 'sound' that I do like. I'm sorry, you sent me some amazing stuff in previous rounds, but this song, or anything sounding similar would have killed anyone off in my Roulette. I'm sorry for kicking you out on a song you admittedly love and I admire you for taking a risk, but you couldn't have known my dislike for indie rock. Still, the rules of my roulette force me to say it's the end for you here. Thanks for playing and thanks for the cool stuff you've sent!

---

Deadline for your Round 5 Submissions is FRIDAY 23:00 GMT (17:00 EST)

Just 4 participants left. One youngster, 3 fogies (do you mind, Diego? :P ). We're getting closer to the end. It's time to play.... the weakest link!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »
 :metal

Time to get to work on picking a song.  Sweet!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
Diego old at heart.  We'll go with that. :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »
 :lol

I can take that.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
FUUUUUCK!!!   :'(

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »
Fogey's unite.  Let's take Genezeez down.

FYI, it's Declan Burke (name of the individual).  He's the guitarist and vocalist for Frost*'s second album, along with Darwin's Radio.  His two solo albums are very nice.  And, he's fronting a new project - Brave New Sky - which includes Richard West (Threshold; keys) and Simon Andersson (Darkwater/PoS; guitars).

Have to narrow down my selection.  Will send tomorrow sometime.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
Chad, like you, I am looking forward to Brave New Sky.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
Chad, like you, I am looking forward to Brave New Sky.

Shit dude, I popped a chubby when he first announced Alpha Flood.  Dec needs to finish this already!!  Hoping it comes out before the end of the year.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2013, 08:46:04 PM »
See what the interwebs have done to us?!  We'd never get this info in Cream or Circus magazine.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
Dang. My biggest rival just got eliminated.  :lol
I guess I gotta think about what to send this time instead of just sending what I'm listening to.  :biggrin:

YOU'RE GOING DOWN OLD MEN!

prob not

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »
I've fallen and I can't get up.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2013, 08:59:02 PM »
I've sent already. Good luck guys....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »
 :lol

I've got 4 songs and I'm playing them over a day so I can tell what feels right.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
I'm gonna send when I come back from school. Like a real man.

I was thinking about sending the same song I sent Big Hath but we'll see.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
Hey Diego... this feels so appropriate for some reason.

But not for one more round.  Gotta get rid of the youngling first.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »
Sent. I feel like I'm not gonna get eliminated. In fact,all you old fogeys better watch out!

Game on!  :yarr

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2013, 05:01:33 PM »
Sent. I feel like I'm not gonna get eliminated. In fact,all you old fogeys better watch out!

Game on!  :yarr

You're goin down faster than a toothless hooker at a truck stop on payday.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2013, 06:02:15 PM »
He's going down faster than a Hobo on a Big Mac.

SENT!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »
Has everyone sent yet? When are we getting results?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »
Yes, everyone has sent. You can expect the results on Sunday evening (my time) :)
Squ

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
I can't wait for the results and just find out which one of these old fogeys are leaving.  :corn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »
It's like the movie 3 Men & A Baby except the baby is voted off the movie.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
I can't wait for the results and just find out which one of these old fogeys are leaving.  :corn

It's like the movie 3 Men & A Baby except the baby is voted off the movie.
It's more like Three Men and a Little Bitch.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Roulette v. 2 - Round 5 Results
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
Well, you see, there's somebody here I have to disappoint. But I'm sure he won't mind, he made it to the top 4 in this roulette of death, which is something worth noting in itself. Still, the best three have to go on. We say goodbye to one of our beloved participants tonight, here's the results:

Straight on through to the next round: :D

Participant: Nekov
Band: Karmakanic
Song: 1969

Comparing the whole lot of different music I have received in this roulette is pretty difficult, since even within prog the differences between bands can be pretty huge (listen to this song, then to Elinoire by Flaming Row and you'll know what I mean). Still, I think I can safely say that this is one of the songs I enjoyed the most in this whole roulette. I've seen the name Karmakanic mentioned quite often on DTF (mostly by the same people; I suppose you know who you are), but I think I should join this clan. This band is going right up on the to-listen-to-list. Awesome!

Participant: jingle.boy
Band: Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall
Song: Not My Saviour

You sure know many power/prog bands, don't you? Damn, that was another fine example of a band that knows how to employ every instruments to its best capabilities. A very nice and very good rocking tune. Nothing bad about this at all, but I can imagine getting myself burned out on this if the rest of the album would be more of the same. Still, every bandmember here is on fire and it turns into a fantastic song with a great chorus to boot.

Participant: kingshmegland
Band: Jolly
Song: Joy

You said this was a rather new band on the scene right? The music speaks to me like they're not. This band surely knows what they're doing and their craft is reflected in what is yet another awesome song sent by you. Everything checks out here. The only downside to me was that the vocals are a bit muffled into the rest of the mix; they don't really stand out in any way. Then again, that probably how they want it to sound and it works, so hey, why bother?

Unfortunately eliminated: :(

Band: Television
Song: Marquee Moon

I saw Big Hath's write-up for this song earlier today, I think you conveniently sent both of us the same song (like jingly did), but my feelings towards this song are a little similar as his. I just don't get this, at all, and in a round with 3 awesome prog/rock/metal/whatever pieces, some random and uninteresting guitar riffing with weird, almost screeched vocals over it simply isn't going to cut it. Like I said in senecadawg's write-up last round, I can really appreciate anyone taking risks in Roulettes and in any roulette that would be fine, but not in a roulette where it's either in or out and you could have guessed I wouldn't really enjoy this. Well, thanks for playing anyway! You were up against some very good players, yet you have stayed in until the top 4! But now, it's time for you to leave. I don't really like saying this, being a young person myself, but in this case; leave it to the fogeys.

---

Deadline for your Round 6 Submissions is TUESDAY 23:00 GMT (17:00 EST)

You may now continue the bitching. Or don't, that's up to you.
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »
Oh, and some information:

For the two players making it past round 6, the rules for round 7 will be slightly different. Since there will be only two players left then, each participant must send me a total of 3 songs, but with the total running time under 30 minutes. Whoever sends the best batch of songs then wins. No bands may be reused, although you may send the same band more than once in the final round. So use this to your knowledge before sending :)
Squ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »
That Karmakanic is a great tune and album.  I highly suggest it.  When I get home tomorrow I'll work on the next song after the stream of the new DT of course!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »
I decided earlier today what I was sending if I made it through.  This could be the ballsiest roulette move ever.  Will send later tonight.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »
Go fogeys!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
Band: Television
Song: Marquee Moon
some random and uninteresting guitar riffing
lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
Go fogeys!

Now it's the REAL fogey's vs the 20-something.  You're no longer one of us.

This now applies.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
Pardon me for sending things that aren't prog during the entire roulette.  :rollin
Go Nekov. The younger,the better.