Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96351 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2010, 08:36:50 PM »
You guys are all on crack, Court is amazing, a near perfect album.
This!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »
Bruford > Peart

That's right, I said it.
Isnīt that obvious?
It is. Peart is a boring drummer devoid of spontaneity or uniqueness, while Bruford is always fun as hell to listen to.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »

I have The Great Deceiver somewhere; I didn't realize that those were the same performances as on USA except minus the overdubs.  I just thought they were from the same tour.  I gotta check this out again now.

For me, the biggest benefit is that awful vocal distortion on 21CSM is absent...it was added during mixing, and I think it sounds drastically better without it.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »
Bruford > Peart

That's right, I said it.
Isnīt that obvious?
It is. Peart is a boring drummer devoid of spontaneity or uniqueness, while Bruford is always fun as hell to listen to.
They're both great. It depends what you're in for or what drummer will easily go with the mood you're in. :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:29 PM »
I have The Great Deceiver somewhere; I didn't realize that those were the same performances as on USA except minus the overdubs.  I just thought they were from the same tour.  I gotta check this out again now.

For me, the biggest benefit is that awful vocal distortion on 21CSM is absent...it was added during mixing, and I think it sounds drastically better without it.

Oh that Fripp, what a wacky guy!  I actually think the vocal distortion on 21C Man is kinda cool.  The vocals on the studio version have some distortion, and I just figured that this is the next level.  Wetton's voice is more intense than Lake's, and somehow the idea that the words are nearly untelligible adds to the fun.  But I can definitely see how it's not for everyone, and it's actually disappointing that it was just another "studio trick."

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »

Oh that Fripp, what a wacky guy!  I actually think the vocal distortion on 21C Man is kinda cool.  The vocals on the studio version have some distortion, and I just figured that this is the next level.  Wetton's voice is more intense than Lake's, and somehow the idea that the words are nearly untelligible adds to the fun.  But I can definitely see how it's not for everyone, and it's actually disappointing that it was just another "studio trick."

I prefer less overdubs too. Contains the original stage energy of a performance.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
Definitely.  Fripp always struck me as the kind of guy who would prefer to keep the "purity" of a live recording, not muck it up with studio trickery and still present the recording as live.  I know, "everybody" does it, but not everybody does, and if there was ever someone who didn't, I would've thought it would be Fripp.  I guess not.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2010, 09:51:27 PM »
Definitely.  Fripp always struck me as the kind of guy who would prefer to keep the "purity" of a live recording, not muck it up with studio trickery and still present the recording as live.  I know, "everybody" does it, but not everybody does, and if there was ever someone who didn't, I would've thought it would be Fripp.  I guess not.

Eh yeah. Well oh well.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2010, 10:03:59 PM »
I. Want. A. 2000. 11. Tour.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
I. Want. A. 2000. 11. Studio. Album.

FTFY.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »
Getting both would be fantastic, but if I had to pick, I'd pick the tour.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »
Just got back from seeing RF do some soundscaping.  Good stuff

As far as RF vs. the integrity of live performances, USA seems to be an outlier for some reason...in other live sets, there are definitely "brown notes" and other musical malfunctions that could have been fixed but obviously weren't.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »
Damn.  Figures my favorite one is the one that's impure.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2010, 06:32:26 PM »
I got a King Crimson e-mail yesterday and got real excited for some news, but it was just holiday deals on merchandise.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
They should merge the new thread by wolfking with this one. I - M - O

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »

That's cool.  I can start posting here, I should have searched before I made a new topic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »
I got a King Crimson e-mail yesterday and got real excited for some news, but it was just holiday deals on merchandise.

King Crimson never send me e-mail.  Perhaps I have offended them somehow.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2010, 10:36:39 PM »
In response to the other thread...

Any fans?  I just picked up my first King Crimson album the other day.  I've never really checked them out but I picked up Larks Tongues in Aspic for $10 in the throwout section. 

Is this a fair representation of what the band is about?  I have only listened to it once but the only thing I can describe it as at the moment is 'odd.'  I will say, Robert Fripp has a wonderful guitar style.
Each album is different. I'm only really familiar with their 70's output, but it's all over the place and their 80's is heavily new wave influenced. Their newer stuff I don't know a thing about though.

Any other albums I should check out?
Definitely give In the Court of the Crimson King a shot. It's a very important album and it is very, very good. Red is also quite good and probably one of their heavier releases. Lizard is great, if you enjoy a more jazz-influenced sound. Lots of people love Discipline, but its very New Wave-y and I'm not much of a fan of that 'sound,' but it does have some good tracks (check out 'Elephant Talk').

Avoid Islands though, at least for now. It's easily my least favorite and probably the hardest to listen to. If you find yourself interested after checking out some of their better, then maybe I'd recommend it.

BTW, the remixes are all fantastic even if they are being released at an incredibly slooooow pace. Lizard, in particular, sounds absolutely wonderful.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2010, 11:36:35 PM »
IMO the essential albums are anything from ITCOTCK through Red (and any live recordings)  :metal

Next would be The Power To Believe  :heart (their best album since Red IMO); this album is also recommended if you really like the 70s albums. It's a masterpiece of modern progressive rock.

Discipline is cool if I'm in the mood, same as the other two 80s albums, but Discipline is the best one.  :tup

Thrak has never appealed to me. And aside from LTIA pt 4, The Construktion of Light never struck me as anything worthwhile.  :yeahright

as a side note, most of the ProjecKs are really cool  :yarr

Offline darkshade

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:09 PM »

Avoid Islands though, at least for now. It's easily my least favorite and probably the hardest to listen to. If you find yourself interested after checking out some of their better, then maybe I'd recommend it.

I agree, Islands is good once you are familiar with the rest of their 70s output. I will however say that it is much more enjoyable than anything theyve released after Red (except TPTB)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2010, 03:50:54 AM »

That's cool.  I can start posting here, I should have searched before I made a new topic.

Well this thread needs more pages! :hat

Offline darkshade

« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »
this thread inspired me to listen to some KC. i listened to 21st Century Schizoid Man, and the Asbury Park Jam last night. But im thinking of listening to all the 70s albums in chronological order. sounds like a good idea

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »
But im thinking of listening to all the 70s albums in chronological order. sounds like a good idea
Sounds like a great idea. :hat :hat :hat :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2010, 03:28:43 PM »
Asbury Park is my favorite live jam from them.  So raw, so energy, so heavy sound!

But seriously, it is, and it kicks my ass every time I play it.  Which I think I'll do right now...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
Double post because fuck I love this jam.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »
currently listening to In The Wake of Poseidon  :metal, right after finishing ITCoTCK.

after a short break i may continue to Lizard.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
Go for it.  The early Crimson albums vary a bit because the personnel kept changing, but there were also some similarities of course.  It's cool listening to them in order.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »
Go for it.  The early Crimson albums vary a bit because the personnel kept changing, but there were also some similarities of course.  It's cool listening to them in order.

i havent listened to this much KC in at least 2-3 years. this is amazing! i forgot how short their 70s albums are, as Im already up to Lizards. Crazy album. I'm going to breeze through their first 4 albums, THEN take a break, before i throw on the Bruford/Wetton albums.

but anyway, it's bringing back memories, as i was big on KC during late 2005, 2006, and part of 2007.

Go for it.  The early Crimson albums vary a bit because the personnel kept changing, but there were also some similarities of course.  It's cool listening to them in order.

yes, there is more of a symphonic feel with the first 4 albums, mixed with lots of jazz. But mostly, there is a lot of flute on these albums and a lot of the music seems sad  :'(. By the time of LTIA, the sound became more grittier, almost pre-metal, and much more eclectic and raw mix of sounds.

oh man, I'm on the title track for Lizard, JON ANDERSON!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:44:44 PM by darkshade »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
follow my experience here https://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy if you wish

:P

EDIT: just finished listening to the first 4 albums, and kind of treated them like one BIG album. i must say, the end of Islands really closes out the first 'era' of King Crimson very nicely, really epic. it all kind of makes sense since the first 4 albums are so melodic, but quite a trip. The next 3 albums await....  :yarr but first, i need a break
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:57:47 PM by darkshade »

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »

EDIT: just finished listening to the first 4 albums, and kind of treated them like one BIG album. i must say, the end of Islands really closes out the first 'era' of King Crimson very nicely, really epic. it all kind of makes sense since the first 4 albums are so melodic, but quite a trip. The next 3 albums await....  :yarr but first, i need a break
Sent you a friend request; I'm BirchBoy0925.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2010, 02:05:01 AM »

Sent you a friend request; I'm BirchBoy0925.
This, except I'm fordmark2.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2010, 09:58:20 AM »
accepted both your friend requests. thanks, i dont have too many friends on last.fm

listening to Starless & Bible Black now. SABB has so much energy!

I put LTIA on last night. I forgot how relaxing the album is, at least the middle of the album, not the title tracks  :lol

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2010, 04:42:42 PM »
I only have In the Court of the Crimson King, which I absolutely adore. I really need to get more of them, I got some money for my birthday which I am going to spend on some luscious KC vinyl when I finally get my act together!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2010, 02:33:25 AM »
So I've listened to ITCOTKC a few times in the last few days. I've now heard every album up to Red. Yes, this was the last I heard.

At the moment, I wouldn't say this is their best album at all. The first three tracks are great, but I don't think the others are anywhere near the same quality. I can understand why people might say it's their "most important" album, since it was such an early prog release and there are some insanely strong tracks on there, but they have far stronger overall albums than this.

Having said that, my favourite KC album is probably Islands, so...

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »
So I've listened to ITCOTKC a few times in the last few days. I've now heard every album up to Red. Yes, this was the last I heard.

At the moment, I wouldn't say this is their best album at all. The first three tracks are great, but I don't think the others are anywhere near the same quality. I can understand why people might say it's their "most important" album, since it was such an early prog release and there are some insanely strong tracks on there, but they have far stronger overall albums than this.
Really? Wow, Red clicked with me immediately and "Starless" is one of their best songs, IMO. Very soft and emotional and then is just goes crazy near the end.

Having said that, my favourite KC album is probably Islands, so...
Different strokes and all, but I've listened to Islands a few times and, aside from a few parts of some songs, nothing ever stood out much to me.

That said, I just got In the Wake of Poseidon: 40th Anniversary Edition for Christmas.  :tup