Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96068 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #525 on: July 29, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »
Anyone else remember these guys?

M'Boom - A band with eight percussionists and nothing else

Heard of this, but never experienced it.

The world needs more of it in my view.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:03 AM »
listened to a first press of Red last night and it was totally mindblowing. "Starless" is just insanely good and easily ranks right next to 21SM and TCOTKC for me!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #527 on: August 02, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
I'm really interested to see how they rearrange the music to take advantage of the three drummers...particularly in light of the fact that the drums will be considered the "front line", while the back line will be Fripp/Collins/Levin/Jakzvxgjkzxk.  I can't imagine that B'boom/THRAK won't make an appearance; I also think it opens up the opportunity to revisit some early material (LTIA pt. 1?  The Talking Drum/LTIA pt. II?).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #528 on: September 02, 2014, 01:43:08 AM »
Robert Fripp launched a DGM Live youtube page. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxEf1UWDjbIEoh2MAQR7zQ

The 3 minute drum solo is incredible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1JapuD0ikk
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #529 on: September 11, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »
Just got tickets to see KC.

$75 bucks for 14th row. Definitely a band I've been waiting a long time to see.  :)

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #530 on: September 12, 2014, 06:45:16 AM »
You're going to one of the NYC shows?  Which night?

Staying away from setlists has been a challenge...
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #531 on: September 12, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »
Philly show on saturday.

originally I wasn't even sure if I was going to go, since I really wanted to see Belew in the band, but at the same time, I've never once seen Robert Fripp perform and its been like 7 years since the last time he toured and with his age right now, this is probably my last opportunity, so I figured what the hell. It should be decent, and the price what right, so its all good.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:10:37 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #532 on: September 12, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
Belew is awesome for sure, but you've made the right decision.  Just seeing Robert Fripp, especially with any version of King Crimson, will be well worth it.  I can't imagine any King Crimson show not being amazing.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #533 on: September 12, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
You're going to one of the NYC shows?  Which night?

Staying away from setlists has been a challenge...
I'm going to Sunday. I assure you the set I saw online was good, even if I'm familiar with a lot of the eras they were going for.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #534 on: September 13, 2014, 11:35:44 AM »
I'm going Thursday (got my ticket about 20 minutes before the Sunday show was added).

I did bumble across a partial setlist, but probably only about half of the show, so still plenty of surprises.  And it actually helps with knowing where to focus in the era that I never got into (everything prior to LTIA).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #535 on: September 13, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
Very sweet show. I'm very happy I went

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:28:52 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #536 on: September 13, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
I forgot Gavin played with them. I did a double take when I saw the picture
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #537 on: September 19, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »
Duuude....

I'll not spoil anything for those attending the non-east coast show, but i nearly soiled myself a couple of times with their song choices.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #538 on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
Duuude....

I'll not spoil anything for those attending the non-east coast show, but i nearly soiled myself a couple of times with their song choices.

Yeah, that was mental. And after I left, I had realized that I just experienced something very special.

Any fan of KC, or really any fan of music at all whatsoever, owes it to themselves to go catch this show. Its a once in a lifetime concert.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #539 on: September 20, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »
29 hours :metal
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline snowdog

« Reply #540 on: September 20, 2014, 07:49:25 PM »
I flew to Boston to see the two shows there with a friend.  I've seen KC a number of times since the ConstruKCtion of Light tour and these were no doubt the best I've ever seen.  Without getting into spoilers there were so many great tracks that I've never seen before.  So many of my favorites in there.  From a lineup perspective Levin and the 3 drummers were the highlights.  Loved the interlocking drumming.  And I'm reminded why Gavin Harrison is one of my favorite drummers.  I'm very glad I made the trip.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #541 on: October 03, 2014, 08:16:33 PM »
At the venue waiting for the show to start....

So. Many. Instruments.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #542 on: October 03, 2014, 11:51:34 PM »
Ok, that was a sick fucking show.  :omg:

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #543 on: October 04, 2014, 06:08:21 AM »
Jelly is I.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #544 on: October 05, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
That was a brilliant show on the twenty-first. Except for the camera policy and how pretentiously it was conveyed.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #545 on: October 07, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »
So, I've decided to get stuck in to some KC.

I've had ITCOTCK and Red for years and they both get pretty regular listens from me. I also got In the Wake of Poseidon quite a while back, and I liked it, but it didn't grab me as much as the other two, and my KC journey sort of stalled while other stuff took over.

I was listening to Court the other day though and decided I needed to come back to their music. I'm going to carry on working my way through chronologically, so I've now got my hands on Lizard and Islands.

Just coming to the end of my first listen of Lizard - not bad at all. Initial impression is that there's a similar balance to ITWOP in terms of stuff that sounds awesome and stuff that doesn't really grab me. The title track is a beast though, loving it!

What should I expect from Islands?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #546 on: October 07, 2014, 09:53:06 AM »
I just hope some audio from the current tour shows up at the DGM website. I'm ready to hit the purchase button as soon as they come up live. I regret not being able to travel to watch this lineup.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #547 on: October 07, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
[/quote]
Islands is one of the most accessible of the early Crimson records, IMO. It's got a lot of the more orchestral tracks, similar to stuff like Lady of the Dancing Water.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #548 on: October 07, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
I'm glad you liked Lizard, it's definitely my favorite album of theirs. But I hate Islands, honestly - wait till you get to Larks tongue.  :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #549 on: October 07, 2014, 01:36:21 PM »
Islands is one of the most accessible of the early Crimson records, IMO. It's got a lot of the more orchestral tracks, similar to stuff like Lady of the Dancing Water.
But I hate Islands, honestly
Now I don't know what to think! :dangerwillrobinson:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #550 on: October 07, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »
Islands was an album that I appreciated immediately on my first listen, but that got boring fast.

In contrast, I didn't like Larks Tongues on my first listen at all, although now I love it.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:04 PM »
really dislike ITWOP, Islands, and Lizard. absolutely nothing on them lives up to ITCOTCK, imo. they pursue the pastoral "I Talk to the Wind" approach so often that i am completely bored for most of each album!

that said, i do like some material from the three: "Formentera Lady," "Sailor's Tale," and "The Devil's Triangle" are pretty great.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #552 on: October 07, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »
While I don't think ITWOP is on par with ITCOTCK, I think the title track is one of the most beautiful songs ever made.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #553 on: October 08, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »
TLev confirmed that we'll be hearing from KC again in 2015!  Not sure if tour or album, but either way... :omg: :tup :hefdaddy :millahhhh

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #554 on: October 08, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »
Frame by Frame is a fun song to sing along to in the car.  Discipline and Three of a Perfect Pair are great records.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #555 on: October 08, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
So, I've decided to get stuck in to some KC.

I've had ITCOTCK and Red for years and they both get pretty regular listens from me. I also got In the Wake of Poseidon quite a while back, and I liked it, but it didn't grab me as much as the other two, and my KC journey sort of stalled while other stuff took over.

I was listening to Court the other day though and decided I needed to come back to their music. I'm going to carry on working my way through chronologically, so I've now got my hands on Lizard and Islands.

Just coming to the end of my first listen of Lizard - not bad at all. Initial impression is that there's a similar balance to ITWOP in terms of stuff that sounds awesome and stuff that doesn't really grab me. The title track is a beast though, loving it!

I can't wait to hear your reaction to discipline, when you get up to it. I also went chronologically and was like WTF, but it has since become my favorite KC album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #556 on: October 10, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
Ok, that was a sick fucking show.  :omg:

I can imagine.  That show was a casualty of budget cuts for me. I think I'll be seeing Crimson come around again before Flying Colors does.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #557 on: October 10, 2014, 03:18:35 PM »
Grizzly had a little cam,
little cam,
little cam,
Grizzly had a little cam
Made back in '06.

He took it to KC one day
KC one day
KC one day
He took it to KC one day
Which was against the rule.

But he didn't care. If it's any consolation the screen imploded after this concert.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #558 on: February 06, 2015, 07:39:51 AM »
Update on my KC journey:

After a number of listens, I liked Lizard more and more. It's settled pretty nicely in my opinion, definitely one of my preferred KC albums so far, maybe on a part with Red but not as great as Court.

Islands I also think is a nice album, probably grabbed me more on my first listen but hasn't kept my attention so well as Lizard. As with Wake, there is some great stuff but stretches of the album don't do anything for me.

Larks' Tongues I've only listened to once so far, but nothing really stood out to me. I know it's one of their most revered albums, but very little in it really excited me. Only one listen though, so I'll continue to give it a chance.

I've also just listened to Starless for the first time, and am liking it a lot already. Definitely has a bit more energy and just feels a little more melodic than Larks's, particularly in the first half of the album. I'm digging the mix of melody and groove, that kinda reminds me of ITCOTCK, albeit quite different stylistically.

So, my ranking so far (very tentative in the case of the last two albums I've got):

1. In the Court of the Crimson King
2. Lizard
=. Red
4. Starless and Bible Black (tentative)
5. In the Wake of Poseidon
=. Islands
7. Larks' Tongues in Aspic

I be am boner inducing.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #559 on: June 01, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »
I think I'm alone in loving the song and album Lizard. Lizard the album is perfect, with 5 great songs in a row, including one of the top 5 songs of their career with the title track. The drumming part of Lizard that starts around 5 minutes is just beautiful. I love the main melody of that section. When it comes back around 10:00? Chills, every time. Just beautiful.

My only complaint with Lizard is that it should have ended around 11:00. It's such a climactic ending, they should have changed the sections around so that that was the conclusion. Always confused me.

1. Red (Sidenote: Starless is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Possibly my favorite song)
2. Lizard
3. Court of the Crimson King
4. Discipline
5. Larks' Tongues in Aspic