Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96165 times)

me7 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 08:40:55 PM »
Bruford > Peart

That's right, I said it.
Isn´t that obvious?

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
Bump.  I've listened to The Night Watch and Three of a Perfect Pair in the last 24 hours.  Stunning music, and I feel the same way every time I pull out this band and give them spins.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 03:24:40 AM »
Stunning band, created music so ahead of it's time. albums like Red, Discipline, ITCOTCK, and The Power To Believe are amazingly close to perfect.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 06:50:58 AM »
A cool band. Favorite albums: Lizard, The Court, Larks tongues, and Discipline.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 10:56:09 AM »
I'm still listening to a lot of KC's stuff for the first time. I've worked my way up from Court to Red and so far they are by far my favorite. So far my least favorite are Larks' Tongues and Starless and Bible Black. I know KC is all about improvisation being a big part of their sound but on those two albums it was a bit much for me.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »
Bumping this thread to hopefully remind myself to give Red more time over the next few weeks.

Despite it being rated like a bitch, this album hasn't do it for me too much thus far, especially as an overall album. I like everything on it, but I don't think it all comes together too well, and in the end, it doesn't feel as fulfilling as some of their other albums.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
I've always preferred Larks' over Red.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
Yeah, I like Larks better. The instrumental side is a lot funner and more interesting and wild. It doesn't have a Starless, but I think it's better more consistently.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 01:48:36 PM »
I actually prefer Starless and Bible Black to Larks and Red.  All three are solid, though.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
Gavin Harrison playing for King Crimson  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 06:44:52 PM »
I have In The Court Of The Crimson King (in fact I'm waiting for an early vinyl pressing in the post of it) and I have Red. Awesome, AWESOME stuff.

So where can I get the 5.1 remix of ITCOTCK? And will it be playable on a 2.1 system?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010, 10:26:41 PM »
Three of a Perfect Pair, In The Court of the Crimson King and Larks' Tongues In Aspic are my three favorite KC albums.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
Went out today, found the 2CD stereo remix of Court and fucking bought it :tup. Was also discounted by 20% to $24.80 AUD. Cannot wait to listen to this!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »
 :heart King Crimson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 10:40:59 PM »
Hmmm, looks like I didn't post in this thread originally, but I had to bump it now just to say that Discipline is the bee's knees. :hat

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2010, 04:19:51 AM »
USA is a great live album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2010, 04:43:24 AM »
I've been listening to some later King Crimson works this week, since I've never given a listen to the post 80s albums. I found THRAK very interesting, the playing is amazing, and the general atmosphere is just sick. I moved onto The Construkction of light today, sounds insane so far.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2010, 08:29:25 AM »

I've discovered that I actually like the "original" of USA (before the overdubs) better than the release.  That set is part of The Great Deceiver box set.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »
Hmmm, looks like I didn't post in this thread originally, but I had to bump it now just to say that Discipline is the bee's knees. :hat

I think I'm the only person here that doesn't really like that album.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2010, 11:52:01 AM »

I've discovered that I actually like the "original" of USA (before the overdubs) better than the release.  That set is part of The Great Deceiver box set.

I love USA and used to really love USA until I figured out what the liner notes meant regarding "Remix assistance by Eddie Jobson".  It means that those incredible electric violin solos by Jobson on the opening and closing tracks were overdubs and never happened live.  Argh.  I hate that.  Apparently Fripp felt that those sections needed a little something and David Cross didn't deliver.  So now whenever I listen to those tracks, I try to block out Eddie.

I love Jobson's work with U.K. and pretty much everything else I've heard by him (except maybe Jobson/Gunn) but that kinda ruined USA a little bit for me.

I have The Great Deceiver somewhere; I didn't realize that those were the same performances as on USA except minus the overdubs.  I just thought they were from the same tour.  I gotta check this out again now.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »
Well, shit man. I remembered I tried very hard to find an original master/release for USA, but sadly I had to settle with a remix/remaster. I remember that now, it sounded really good too thanks to maybe overdubbing? I've never heard the original yet. Thanks for pointing that out guys. :tup

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2010, 08:27:23 PM »
I just bought the "In The Court of the Crimson King" deluxe boxset. I had been toying with the idea for awhile, but I could never justify spending that much money on an album I already own.

But I caved in and now I am excited for it to arrive.  :metal

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »
I have to say that I understand it when some people are underwhelmed by In the Court of the Crimson King.  Especially considering the barely-bridled-insanity that King Crimson was to become later, the debut album is very low key.  Sure, it opens with the amazing "21st Century Schizoid Man" but after that it gets mellow and even later when it gets pretty intense, it's a quiet intensity borne of conflict and innuendo.  One can only wait so long for the tension to break before honestly starting to lose interest, and frankly, if you're not thrilled by the title track, which is still mellow and introspective, you can be left feeling like the whole thing never really paid off.  Lots of foreplay, and then... hmm.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
I like the debut record, but am not nutty about it like a lot of people are.  In fact, my being underwhelmed by it for a long time is why I never really got around to checking them out more closely until around '03 or so.  Over time, I have grown to like it more, but I still think records like The Power to Believe, Discipline and Red are vastly superior.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »
Don't know how I missed this thread... I have to say that the Wetton-Era is probably my favorite, and those three albums are definitely some of my top 3 KC albums. I really do like The Power To Believe and have hoped that Fripp would make another album before all is said and done. If not, at least TPTB is a pretty damn good album.

I don't think I listen to 80's-Era KC as much as I should. That trio of albums is very good in their own right - certainly a different sound than the Wetton-Era or the "Modern" trio of albums they've released since the 90's.

I still haven't bought any of the remasters by SW, but I'm not really big into 5.1 (mostly because I don't have the system for it), but the bonus tracks do interest me. It'll probably take all of next year for me to catch up on the remasters, especially since I have so much other stuff to still catch up on.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2010, 12:05:23 AM »
I have to say that I understand it when some people are underwhelmed by In the Court of the Crimson King.  Especially considering the barely-bridled-insanity that King Crimson was to become later, the debut album is very low key.  Sure, it opens with the amazing "21st Century Schizoid Man" but after that it gets mellow and even later when it gets pretty intense, it's a quiet intensity borne of conflict and innuendo.  One can only wait so long for the tension to break before honestly starting to lose interest, and frankly, if you're not thrilled by the title track, which is still mellow and introspective, you can be left feeling like the whole thing never really paid off.  Lots of foreplay, and then... hmm.

The title track is one of the greatest album climaxes ever.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2010, 02:24:13 AM »

I understand what you're saying. I think I felt that way the first time I listened to the record, but it's been so long I can't remember much. The album to me, now, is just very good but not amazing. I don't have that much of their material at the moment but I can tell there's better. I really like Red.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2010, 05:55:36 PM »
I felt this way for a long time actually. ItCotKC had "21st Century Schizoid" man and the title track and that was all I really enjoyed. But then I picked up the 5.1 remasters and, for some reason, "Epitaph" and "I Talk to the Wind" really clicked for me. "Moonchild" still sucks though, the only blight on an absolutely amazing album.

Red is a fantastic album as well. It has one of my favorite songs by them, namely "Starless." Lizard has grown on me a lot as well.  Actually, the new remasters have helped me to get into a lot of their catalogue that I initially passed over or ignored. I still need to pick up Islands.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
That's funny. Your name is "The King in Crimson", yet you don't have all their albums? :lol

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »
I actually like Moonchild quite a bit.  I can see why many might find it boring though.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »
That's funny. Your name is "The King in Crimson", yet you don't have all their albums? :lol
Nope. ;)

I DO have Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding though and I do love what I've heard of KC's 70's output. I've been meaning to listen to their 80's and beyond stuff, but I just... haven't.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of "Court". Its a little tough to sit through the whole thing but the opening and closing tracks are god tier. Epitaph is really good too and has some of my favorite lyrics.

I'm still excited to hear the demos and everything, I love stuff like that. And the 5.1 mix... YESSSSSS

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »
Nope. ;)

I DO have Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding though and I do love what I've heard of KC's 70's output. I've been meaning to listen to their 80's and beyond stuff, but I just... haven't.

Ah k, fair enough-fair enough. I get like that with many bands. Never get entire studio stuff for quite a while.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2010, 08:33:52 PM »
*appreciates*

One of the most influential bands ever.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2010, 08:34:48 PM »
You guys are all on crack, Court is amazing, a near perfect album.