Author Topic: My thoughts on 'Dream Theater' (***SPOILERS***)  (Read 152146 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: My thoughts on 'Dream Theater' (***SPOILERS***)
« Reply #1085 on: September 08, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
Seventh Wonder is not power metal

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1086 on: September 08, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »
The melodies in both songs are power metal inspired to my ears.  Also the held power chords in the chorus of BITS are a frequently used power metal guitar technique.

Seriously? Held power chords are a power metal influence according to you? Come on.

Yes.  It's a defining PM rhythm guitar technique.  Usually one chord per bar.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1087 on: September 08, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »
I disagree.  Seventh Wonder has a massive power metal influence.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1088 on: September 08, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Well, they have catchy melodies. Other than that, I don't really see any power metal in their sound at all.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1089 on: September 08, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
Ok,  We'll agree to disagree.

So, this new DT album....  :metal
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1090 on: September 08, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »

No, we must continue to argue! :P

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1091 on: September 08, 2013, 01:02:08 PM »
Seventh Wonder are pretty clear about what their main influences are; Dream Theater and Symphony X, among other ones. So saying that Seventh Wonder and ADTOE has some qualities that are similar says nothing about power metal, as Seventh Wonder is much more prog metal than power metal anyhow.

U: Jag inser att det är irriterande för skapande musiker att hela tiden jämföras med andra artister och band. Jag refererar dock själv flera gånger i min recension av "Waiting..." till Dream Theater. Vad tycker ni om den liknelsen? Finns det något fog för jämförelser i ert tycke?

A: "Images and Words" är enligt mig tveklöst den viktigaste och bästa platta som släppts inom genren vi kallar prog-metall idag. Den satte normen för allt. Att jämföras med den är en ren ära och jag kan bara tacka och bocka åt ett dylikt omdöme. Faktum är att jag sällan blir irriterad av något sådant. Hela människan fungerar ju genom generaliseringar och referenser - självklart måste det även vara tillåtet inom musiken. Däremot håller man ju inte alltid med det som skrivs och det kan ju vara irriterande, men vilket mynt saknar två sidor?

U: Finns det några artister ni/du skulle säga ha influerat er musik på ett påtagligt sätt?

A: Visst! Grunden har vi ju från våra gamla hjältar som Maiden, Europe, Helloween, Mr. Big etc och det progressiva kommer ju mycket från Dream Theater och Symphony X, tveklöst.
From https://www.tartareandesire.com/urkraft/intervjuer/seventhwonder.php

"U: I realize it is annoying for creative musicians to constantly be compared to other artists and bands. I refer several times to Dream Theater, however, in my review of "Waiting ...". What do you think of the parable? Is there any basis for comparison in your opinion?

A: "Images and Words" is in my opinion without a doubt the most important and best album released in the genre we call prog-metal today. It set the standard for everything. That compares with a pure honor and I can only be thankful for such a reputation. In fact, I rarely get annoyed by something like that. Man works through the generalizations and references - of course, it must also be allowed in music. However, one does not always agree with what is written and that can be annoying, but which coin lacks two sides?

U: Are there any artists you / you would say have influenced your music in a tangible way?

A: Certainly! Our foundation is from our old heroes like Maiden, Europe, Helloween, Mr. Big etc and the progressive is very much from Dream Theater and Symphony X, without a doubt."

I have to agree though, I think both SyX and Seventh Wonder are firmly rooted in prog metal, but there's a flavor of power metal to it - but it's VERY washed out. The DT influence is stronger.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1092 on: September 08, 2013, 01:05:18 PM »
For sure, it's certainly not the only influence.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1093 on: September 08, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »

No, we must continue to argue! :P

Ok, you're a poo poo head!  ;D
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: September 08, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »
Personal attack. Reported.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1095 on: September 08, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1096 on: September 08, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
 :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1097 on: September 08, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »
There is are definite power metal elements in LNF, and in the very occasional older DT tune as well. It's not overbearing though, and rare.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1098 on: September 08, 2013, 10:43:52 PM »
The melodies in both songs are power metal inspired to my ears.  Also the held power chords in the chorus of BITS are a frequently used power metal guitar technique.

Seriously? Held power chords are a power metal influence according to you? Come on.

Yes.  It's a defining PM rhythm guitar technique.  Usually one chord per bar.

And it's used in pretty much every other genre as well. For example prog metal (see DT).

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1099 on: September 10, 2013, 09:51:46 AM »
A question for the guys who've heard the album, after listening to both singles:

Besides the cool stuff (fast fills etc) that MM is playing, does he always follow the guitar in terms of rhythm?
Are there any moments where he does a different beat that throws you off?

What i mean is that both in ADTOE and the 2 new songs, he is playing odd time signatures but he is playing in a pretty straightforward way, is there any parts where he changes the feel while the rest of the band is playing over the same rhythm?

Like in HTF for example or The Mirror, where MP did different feels over the same rhythm, which was very neat. Is there any stuff like this in the new album?

Offline ronrule

« Reply #1100 on: September 10, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »
If you add a kick drum to every JM note, a high hat to every JR note and a different tom to every JP note, you have a Mangini drum composition. [/half joking]

Offline farsight

« Reply #1101 on: September 10, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »
What i mean is that both in ADTOE and the 2 new songs, he is playing odd time signatures but he is playing in a pretty straightforward way, is there any parts where he changes the feel while the rest of the band is playing over the same rhythm?
Along For The Ride's outro, I guess?

Offline adastra

« Reply #1102 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:33 PM »
There is are definite power metal elements in LNF, and in the very occasional older DT tune as well. It's not overbearing though, and rare.

I can't spot them.. Maybe the lyrics?  :P
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.