Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 69282 times)

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #280 on: October 15, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »
For the next four to six weeks, you spoil that dog as much as you can. We lost our dog on Friday, right before Thanksgiving (I live in Canada) and every day since sucks not having Baine around. He was my best bud and I'm sure you feel the same about your dog, too. So lots of belly rubs and kisses for the next few weeks.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »

Offline NotePad

« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »
My dog passed away the other day. Sucks ass.

RIP Manchester.

Offline amatteroflight

• Bird photographer
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »
This is a great thread. I absolutely love dogs and have three right now (four until a year ago). So here is the short story of all four.

Biscuit and Pablo (Mastiff x Germane Shepherd) are litter mates we picked up from the Sydney RSPCA shelter in mid-2007. Pablo lost a leg to osteosarcoma in August '13 and two months later his brother Biscuit was diagnosed with leukaemia. Biscuit made it for 12 months more with chemo, that was hard for him to take, but he lived far longer than the oncologists had ever expected (expected 1-2 months max even with chemo). Pablo lost the leg and was on a chemo protocol for four months. He had also outlived all expectations. Still going strong with no sign of metastases. That's awesome and he loves life and his daily walks. Both boys are (were) quite large, with Pablo pushing 60kg in his heyday and Biscuit about 51kg.

BISCUIT

PABLO

This is my (our) fave pic of the two boys. Biscuit always had the ball.

Pablo, my wife, Biscuit (with orange ball). He is buried in the pet cemetery with his fave orange ball.  :-[

Molly is a rescued Australian Kelpie x Blue Cattledog and is just wonderful, a bundle of energy and joy.

Mid last year we rescued our Rottweiler from a pound, she was nine weeks old. Leila is gorgeous, great personality and super sweet. As long as you're not an intruder.

Leila at nine weeks.

Leila at 16 months, a couple of weeks ago.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 02:57:11 PM by amatteroflight »
Leave footprints only….

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
My parents dog thinks he`s a platypus  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #285 on: October 17, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
My dog passed away the other day. Sucks ass.

RIP Manchester.

Sorry to here that :(

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #286 on: October 23, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #287 on: October 31, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Max sadly passed away yesterday afternoon. He put up a brave fight until the end. It was just time, he couldn't really move and was getting weaker. I will miss him and already do, he was a great dog.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #288 on: November 04, 2015, 11:24:39 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost my dog less than a month ago. Miss him like crazy. Know excatly what you're going through.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #289 on: November 08, 2015, 07:03:03 PM »
It's a bit weird just having one dog around now. I still keep thinking that one day he's going to walk through that door again, and when I look at pictures (especially with my 6S with the Live Photo) I keep remembering that he's gone. It's just a weird feeling
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #290 on: November 09, 2015, 06:04:52 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes I wonder if being able to recall the past so easily is a blessing or a curse.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: November 09, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
Notepad and Systematic.. so sorry to hear about your guys losses.  Never an easy time losing one of our furry family members.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #292 on: December 26, 2015, 12:20:36 PM »
jingle.dogs in the festive spirit!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: December 27, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »
A friend of mine has three dogs and I want to adopt all of them. The one I'm petting in the picture, Athena, is the most affectionate by far. She knows me by now and every time I come over she cuddles up next to me on the couch. Hair gets everywhere, but I don't care. It's worth it.

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #294 on: December 27, 2015, 10:40:36 PM »
My Olliver, aka, Ollie. I love Dachshunds. 3 of my favorite pics of him. 1st one is when he stole some corn. 2nd one is he and my cat, Leona. (I love both dogs and cats btw). Last one he's like looking at me saying: WOT U WANT M8?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2016, 06:52:02 AM »
I think we can all agree that people that abuse animals should get the same treatment 10 times over. Here's a dog that's been abused and being stroked for the first time. It's hard to watch but it gets better.

An abused dog is stroked for the first time

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2016, 08:56:25 AM »
I think we can all agree that people that abuse animals should get the same treatment 10 times over. Here's a dog that's been abused and being stroked for the first time. It's hard to watch but it gets better.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2016, 10:20:59 AM »
Phase II of our subdivision is being developed right now.....we take Lucy back there quite a bit to let her run around 'off leash'. She really enjoys it!! Here are some pics from yesterday.....

***oops....removed these from photbucket****

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:44:16 AM by gmillerdrake »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »

I'm not sure why that had anything to do with what I posted? Please explain if i'm missing something. Treating an animal that's actually been abused has nothing to do with trusting humans vs dogs.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »

*snip*
I'm not sure why that had anything to do with what I posted? Please explain if i'm missing something. Treating an animal that's actually been abused has nothing to do with trusting humans vs dogs.

I was just making a correlation to your comment about the treatment people who abuse animals should receive with a quote that does  fit in some way. Would YOU trust a person who could abuse an animal so easily? 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: January 02, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »

*snip*

I was just making a correlation to your comment about the treatment people who abuse animals should receive with a quote that does  fit in some way. Would YOU trust a person who could abuse an animal so easily?
Huh? I'm talking about cases were there's no doubt the user has abused their dog, i'm not talking about seeing an abused animal and then directly blame the owner because that's a diffrent story. Of course I don't condemn violence in any form not even to an abuser because deep down I know most abusers have much deeper issues themself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #301 on: January 02, 2016, 11:54:49 AM »

*snip*

Slightly off topic, but that is one of the more annoying internet fads these days, someone taking a quote and attaching it to a famous person when that person never actually said that.  I see that shit on FB all the time and it always makes me cringe.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »
Mrs. P and I have been sorting through our digital pictures and tossing out a bunch of crap. During the review process, we came across these and they warmed my heart. I was lounging in the backyard and throwing a toy for Sagan when I snapped these. I instantly thought of sharing them in this thread.

[edit]

I just found this one too. :lol

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:20:17 AM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »
d'aaawwwww
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2016, 06:08:01 AM »
Had a pretty terrifying weekend. Victoria went out and hid some valentines day stuff in the office. She was going to make something for me Saturday night for a Valentines Day surprise. In this hidden bag was a pound of chocolate. Victoria was helping me downstairs with a project, and when she went upstairs to check on something, she became hysterical.

Norman somehow found the hidden bag in the office and ate all 16oz of the chocolate. Keep in mind, Norman only weighs 18lbs. He was just finishing the last bit of wrapper when Victoria found him. I've never driven so aggressively in my life. The 16 mile drive to the animal hospital took me 11 minutes. The hospital made him throw up and had to keep him for monitoring. 20 nerve wracking hours and $2400 later, we were told Norman was going to be okay. He didn't end up having any seizures and now we're on the lookout for pancreatitis.

We had a whole weekend of pre-purchased Valentine's Day plans (another $300 gone) go unused.  All in all, I'm beyond thankful the dog is alive, and I can't even begin to think what would have happened had Victoria not gone upstairs when she did. We were in the basement for hours and she happened to go up at just the right time. I felt terrible. I couldn't even be mad at her.  She spent hours on Saturday night in the corner of the office, surrounded by pictures of her family members, crying and praying. I even went to church with her on Sunday morning. I've never felt so terrible in my life. Had the dog died, it would have been 100% her fault. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2016, 07:03:53 AM »
Holy cow Brian, I can't imagine the emotions involved in that. So glad to hear Norman pulled through. It's insane the countless variables in life that are in play and and crazy to think how much life can turn on a dime when one of them are affected by another in a negative way.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2016, 07:11:55 AM »
If it helps....years ago my wife and I went out for a couple of hours.  When we got home, there was our cocker standing on the kitchen table.  He'd just consumed an entire brownie tray, covered in frosting to boot.  The split second of cuteness was quickly changed to panic.  A semi sleepless night followed.  Freddie was fine.  Norman should be as well. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2016, 07:54:20 AM »
I'm very glad Norman is going to be okay. Whew!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2016, 12:32:55 PM »
I won't go into the whole story, but Hershe (the brown/white one) will be going down tomorrow morning.  On Thursday we found a huge tumour attached to her spleen, and another one attached to her liver.  It grew 3 pounds from Tuesday to Thursday.  Nakoda (the brown one) is from her first litter, and it's quite clear he is fully aware what's going on.

We're all gonna be a wreck tomorrow.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »
Holy cow Chad, so sorry to hear this. you guys will be in my prayers for sure.....

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2016, 06:25:28 PM »
So sorry Chad.  Praying for strength for your family.  In that pic they look very close.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: February 21, 2016, 10:19:48 PM »
Hope she had a long life (getting used to the past tense term is hard).  It's obvious she had a good life.  Be good to your 'boy', since he'll be the one comforting you.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: February 21, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »
Very sorry to hear that Chad......it'll be 2 years in May since I went through that with my Jessie (my only pet - still haven't attempted to "replace" her) and so I can empathise.  Thinking of you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:48:59 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #313 on: February 21, 2016, 10:32:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that Chad. My condolences to you and the family.    :'(

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #314 on: February 22, 2016, 06:23:50 AM »
Damn Chad. Sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes as well as it can.