Author Topic: Israel approves new settlements ahead of peace talks  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
Re: Israel approves new settlements ahead of peace talks
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 03:09:04 PM »
People on this forum are probably just as much if not more influenced subconsciously by Islamophobia and anti-Arabism as they are by anti-Semitism.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
If anything, I'd be influenced by anti-Christianism, at least where I live.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
I see Israel's tactics; make small moves which are enough to raise a slight uproar, but not enough to start a serious confrontation.  Let time pass by so people become acclimated with the change and accept it as is.

Perfect example: The very first step in this whole entanglement was the taking of Arab land, by the British.  We have now been so acclimated by that, its no longer in the discussions.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »
I personally separate Israel's "founding history" from recent history, just as the pilgrims never truly had any right to displace Native Americans, but it is a fait accompli. I see the Jews' right to a country of their own as indisputable, if only for the fact what our cumulative cultures have done to them (with my folks having been the spearhead of atrocities, but not followed far behind by others). I wish they had chosen a better place (like the Mormons did with Salt Lake City) and not the epicenter of religion-infused adrenaline, but that's the way it is for historical reasons.
So, I choose to look at the situation from a contemporary angle. There's two peoples that need to find an arrangement somehow.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »
Sorry for riving a zombie thread, but it's the right place for my question and is, yet again, topical. Just curious of the people who honestly know, why do people actually want to live in these settlements? Are they heavily subsidized or something? I understand why Israel wants them, but I don't get why somebody would actually want a home in a place as hotly contested.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
Yay, something I can talk about!

I'll be home in a bit and I'll reply in more detail, but quickly yes they are heavily subsidized and cheap, and there's also people who are there for idealological reasons.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »
Sorry for riving a zombie thread, but it's the right place for my question and is, yet again, topical. Just curious of the people who honestly know, why do people actually want to live in these settlements? Are they heavily subsidized or something? I understand why Israel wants them, but I don't get why somebody would actually want a home in a place as hotly contested.

Alright, well, the settlements date back to the 60's (more or less), and originally they were meant as more of a temporary thing to use during diplomacy. They pushed for families to move there to help with that. So, on the one hand, you do have families that have been in the settlements for over 50 years. Some of those people stay there because that's where they were born, raised, etc. Then, as I said, the government REALLY pushes for people to move there. It's very cheap, compared to Israeli proper. A ton of government money goes into building infrastructure in the settlements, so you can get a really nice apartment for like 1/3 the price of a crappy place in Israel. So you have a lot of people who live there because  it's cheap. When you're very religious and don't have much of an income, and they ask you to live in what is sold as greater Israel, or biblical Israel, it's very appealing.

Then of course you have lots of people who are politically motivated to live in contested areas. Their mindset is that if you set up shop, it's yours. They prefer living in settlements because it's their way of fighting against the Palestinians in an attempt to incorporate as much of Palestine into Israel one day.

So it's a good amount of diversity, though I cannot condone a single aspect of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 05:17:39 PM »

Then of course you have lots of people who are politically motivated to live in contested areas. Their mindset is that if you set up shop, it's yours.
Wonderful irony.

I assumed the part about the subsidies, but at the same time I just don't see the logic of "you can live here for cheap, and once or twice a year your neighbors might lob shells at you." I think I'd rather live in shithole in Brentwood than a palace in Compton.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »
People living in the settlements aren't prime targets for missiles. The rest of Israel is, specifically the people living right outside of Gaza. Now, if you want to know why those people stay there, you got me.

Plus, much the violence that happens between settlers and Palestinians is by the settlers against the Palestinians. And with virtually no legal consequences.

So there's another reason for some of the younger kids to stay there. They can go out, beat the hell out of Arabs, leftists and even Israelis who want to help Arabs and get told by the police/army "oh you kids, better run home while I question these Arabs about what they must have done to make you randomly beat them with a lead pipe".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »
Interesting, if rage inducing doc on this whole subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DduUcPSU_TM

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2017, 05:40:57 PM »
People living in the settlements aren't prime targets for missiles. The rest of Israel is, specifically the people living right outside of Gaza. Now, if you want to know why those people stay there, you got me.

Plus, much the violence that happens between settlers and Palestinians is by the settlers against the Palestinians. And with virtually no legal consequences.

So there's another reason for some of the younger kids to stay there. They can go out, beat the hell out of Arabs, leftists and even Israelis who want to help Arabs and get told by the police/army "oh you kids, better run home while I question these Arabs about what they must have done to make you randomly beat them with a lead pipe".
Far out. So why aren't the settlements targets? Lack of proximity? Seems to me a pretty decent way, if you're an evil ter'ist, that is, to discourage the settlements is to occasionally blow one or two of them to smithereens.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »
The missiles come out of Gaza, they usually either can't reach the settlements, or the Iron Dome intercepts them due to the distance. Plus, they usually don't aim at the West Bank for obvious reasons.

As far as why they're not victims of local violence, they are, but they are extremely well defended. Every settlement is protected by the army, getting to them isn't terribly easy, especially since many of the roads to/from the settlements are Jewish only roads.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »
With the new land law and Trump's position I guess the two state solution is officially dead. I can't predict at all what's to come.