Author Topic: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (Finished)  (Read 14386 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (Finished)
« on: August 10, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »
Hello friends!
After being on the waiting list for a while, it's finally time for another top50-thread, and I believe the first one I did was 1 ½ year ago, and comparing the list there are many differences, though there are albums that will still be featured again, like they were last time. The list was much harder to make this time around, and there are several really good albums (and artists I'm a huge fan of) that didn't even make it to the top50 sadly. However, what's left is 50 different bands/artists that I love for different reasons. So hopefully you will follow the list and comment, and maybe you'll discover some new music. Let's get this one started!  :hat

50. Eisley - The Valley (2011)

Genre: Indie Rock/Pop

Eisley is a band that used to have a couple of fans on this forum, and while a couple of them are now gone, I know there are still some fans left. The band consists of three sisters (Sherri, Stacy and Chauntelle) who all sing, and also their brother and cousin is in the band. So a bit of a family-band, and you can really hear that the music is crafted with love. Catchy Indie Pop/Rock with great hooks and melodies, and there's a lot of focus on the three different voices, combined with acoustic guitars and piano for the most part. This album is their best in my opinion, as it has their best songwriting and a lot of really good songs. The strength of the album is that it doesn't really have any bad songs, and it keeps being good throughout, with a lot of songs that grows on you. A lot of catchy choruses to sing along to, and just a well-written album.

Favorite songs: Please, Oxygen Mask, Ambulance, Kind, The Valley

49. The Beatles - Abbey Road (1969)

Genre: Rock

This is most likely an album that everyone here has heard of, being such an iconic album, and considered by many to be one of the best albums ever made. The Beatles doesn't need much of an introduction, but they were the biggest band in the 60's, and has continued selling albums since the end of the band. There are much bigger fans of The Beatles overall, and I know there are several on this forum, but I really love what they did on Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper, White Album and also Revolver. I don't care much for their earlier albums, but it was towards the end of their career when they started making really timeless music. What blew me away the most with Abbey Road was not only how good it was, but I could really hear sounds that I recognized from newer bands, bands that most likely are very influenced by The Beatles. The album has that "timeless"-vibe, and even though it was made 43 years ago (!), it still holds up incredible, and is just such a great album. The album has everything from more catchy pop-songs like "Here Comes the Sun", to a song like "I Want You (She's so heavy)", which is almost like a very early doom-song. The album really has something for everyone, and many of their best songs. I don't really have anything else to add, this is one of those albums you just have to hear at least once in your life. Even if it's not your cup of tea, it's such an important album.

Favorite songs: Golden Slumbers, Something, I Want You (She's so Heavy), Here Comes the Sun, You Never Give Me Your Money

48. Amplifier - Amplifier (2004)

Genre: Progressive Rock/Space Rock

I've been pimping this band out for quite a long time now, and you probably have seen me mention them earlier on this forum. Amplifier is a trio from Manchester (same city as Oceansize!), and they have been making progressive music for almost 10 years now. This album is their debut, and it's just superb all the way through. The band has been getting more time in the spotlight lately after releasing the double-album "The Octopus" 2 years ago, they released "Echo Street" this year on Kscope, which was a glorious album. The band is finally starting to get some recognition they deserve, but their wild ride started with this album. It's mostly a Progressive/Space Rock album, but I've heard some people use both "alternative" and "grunge" when describing the album, so I guess you can classify it as different things. It has very nice melodies in both verses and choruses, but also a very interesting sound landscape, considering the band consists of only 3 members. There's also some guest-appearances by both Mike Vennart and Steve Durose from Oceansize on this album. Check it out if you like progressive music! 

Favorite tracks: Motorhead, Airborne, Post-Acid Youth, UFO's, Old Movies

More updates to come!  :angel:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:57:55 AM by Zantera »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (not this shit again)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
So this is a lust of 50 albums from 50 different artists? Will follow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
So this is a lust of 50 albums from 50 different artists? Will follow.
Typos courtesy of my phone

lol :P

On topic, I've tried Eisley a few times and didn't think too much of it. Amplifier I haven't listened to, but they sound like something I'd like, so I'll probably check them out.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »
Never heard of Eisley but they sound interesting.

Not much to say about Abbey Road - it's a classic album!

Amplifier is great (haven't heard the new album yet) and I really enjoy their debut. I also have The Octopus which is very good too!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »
Only Amplifier I haven't heard yet. Loving the band though!  :tup
Abbey Road is a classic. But I haven't heard Eisley yet. I guess I'll give it a try.  :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »
Zantera, for the purposes of the top 50 database I am keeping, should this list replace your earlier version?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
Sure, go ahead and replace the old version. :)
The list is indeed 50 different artists, so there won't be any duplicates anywhere. Will try to update the list at least twice a day, unless something comes up. It has gone pretty smooth updating wise in the past though, so there won't be any "goes away for a month without updates".

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »
Zantera, I have and will continue to thank you for the introduction to Amplifier and that album in particular. Just hits so many great spots for me throughout the album.  :hefdaddy

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »
We have pretty similar tastes, so definitely following!

Love Eisley and Amplifier. Personally the only Beatles album I really like is Revolver, but I got no problems with Abbey Road.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 02:02:25 AM »
Abbey Road is probably my #1 of all time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 02:07:17 AM »
Very nice start! Never listened to Eisley, but the other two albums are great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 02:53:56 AM »
Nice to see some followers already!  :angel: Gonna keep the momentum going by posting the next three on the list right now. Hopefully have time for another update later today as well.

47. Thrice - Vheissu (2005)

Genre: Post-Hardcore/Experimental Rock

Thrice is another band that is fairly popular on this forum, and I would say it's their ability and willingness to experiment and try new unexplored territories that has gone home well with many DTF'ers, including myself. While the band started out as a fairly aggressive Post-Hardcore/Hardcore-Punk sound and harsher vocals, they evolved over the first couple of albums, and Vheissu is that perfect middle album which has the best from the early Thrice-sound, but also the best from the more melodic sound they evolved on future albums. This album has a great mix of faster songs with great guitars, to slower and more ballad-like songs with a heavy focus on piano and acoustic guitars. There are a couple of sections that sounds very much like the older Thrice, a song like "For Miles" (probably my favorite Thrice-song) which starts off as a beautiful ballad-type of song, but ends with heaviness and screams. I would also highly recommend The Alchemy Index, basically a concept of four EP's with one for each element, so there's Fire, Water, Air and Earth, with all of them being very different soundwise. The band has very high ambitions and the music reflects that, and they managed to create a couple of fantastic albums before taking a bit of a hiatus a year ago. Vheissu remains their best album for me personally, since it brings out the best of old Thrice, and the best of the more experimental side that they really started to show on this album, and then onwards.

Favorite songs: For Miles, Between the End and Where We Lie, Of Dust and Nations, Like Moths to the Flame, Stand and Feel Your Worth

46. Beach House - Bloom (2012)

Genre: Dream Pop/Indie Pop

Beach House is a lovely little duo I stumbled over last year, and they make music that is very dreamy and gorgeous. Lots of strong melodies and the combination of keyboards, guitars and the voice of Victoria Legrand results in a sound that feels a bit unique, at least compared to what many other current bands are doing. It has that Cocteau Twins-vibe, and feels a bit 80s/90s at times. There are a lot of people who say the previous album before this one (Teen Dream) is the best one, but I've always leaned slightly more towards Bloom. Maybe it is because this was my first experience of the band, but it just has my favorite songs by the band, and is such a strong album overall. The music is fairly simplistic (though not in a bad way) with keyboards, guitars and drums, but it's really the catchy and strong choruses/melodies that is the main strength of the band. If you give this album enough time, you'll be singing along with the choruses without a doubt. The album also has a really nice flow, and the songs just tend to flow together without much effort, and listening to the album, everything just kinda flies by.

Favorite songs: Other People, Irene, The Hours, Lazuli, Myth

45. Björk - Vespertine (2001)

Genre: Electronica/Trip-hop/Pop/Experimental/Art-Rock

Next entry on the list also has female vocals, and Björk is a name most people probably recognize, even if they aren't familiar with her music. She was very big in the 90's, and into the early 00's, and I guess she's still big. This album is the peak of her career in my opinion. While she released many fantastic albums (Debut, Post, Homogenic), it was on Vespertine that she really put out her best effort so far, a really strong electronic album with both catchy songs, and a couple of more experimental ones. Björk is not your average singer/songwriter or pop-artist, and she has a voice you will either love because it's so unique, or dislike because it's not like what you normally hear in this kind of music. This album in particular has a strong winter-vibe for some reason, it might be song-titles like "Aurora" and "Frosti", but there are a couple of sounds on the album that you relate to winter, so for me it will always be an album for that time of the year. Vespertine is an interesting sonic journey, and while Björk started her career with a more jazz-influenced sound, this album really brings out the best from her more experimental sound. Genre-wise it's hard to classify, but a mixture of electronic, art-rock and pop.

Favorite songs: Hidden Place, Harm of Will, Aurora, An Echo A Stain, Undo.

More updates to come!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 03:16:32 AM »
Love all 3. Vespertine is my favourite of Bjork's albums too.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »
i only just finally ordered the new amplifier last week (though ive heard it a few times already on bandcamp).
indeed, the first album is glorious. though im a little surprised that its your entry...thought you were bigger on the octopus.

also, im glad to see natalie portman back.  :)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »
Not familiar with any of these albums, but Björk is someone who I've been meaning to check out. I'll give this album a listen as it sounds like a good starting place.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »
@Jordan - That's cool! I know Vespertine is generally considered one of the best, though she has a few more that belong to that category.

@pain - It's actually Kimbra on the avatar and not Natalie this time, but I might go back to Natalie sometime in the future again.  :angel: As for Amplifier, I still think Octopus is a really great accomplishment for a double album, but it has a few songs that are not as good as the best ones, so overall I would rank the debut and Echo Street as slightly more "solid" albums all in all. But Octopus is glorious for being a double album.

@ColdFireYYZ - If you enjoy electronic music, Vespertine is certainly a good starting point. If you want something more "natural", her debut album might be a good starting place, since it's a bit more jazz-sounding, and feels a bit more "natural" so to speak.

Anyhow, thought I would swing by with another update.  :hat

44. Blackfield - Blackfield (2004)

Genre: Art Rock

Blackfield should be familiar to many people around here, considering that it's one of the biggest side-projects of Steven Wilson, and together with Aviv Geffen he put out 3 albums under the Blackfield-name, before sort of dropping out. (Even though he will be involved on the new album, as a producer/mixer and also on a song or two) While Blackfield shares a couple of similarities with Porcupine Tree, such as beautiful and catchy melodies and strong hooks, the music is much more compressed into a pop-format with songs around 3-4 minutes in length, and the progressiveness that many other SW projects has is nowhere to be found. I would say this is one of the strongest points of Blackfield, and as much as I love what SW has done within progressive music, his biggest strength in my opinion has always been writing calmer songs, more focused on melody with emotional delivery. I think even within his other projects, I have often leaned more towards songs like Deform to Form a Star or Trains, where he takes a step back from making progressive music, to really focus on melodies. On the other hand, Blackfield has always been more of Aviv's project for me. The songs I tend to gravitate more towards are the ones Aviv has written, but I feel like SW's strength is taking something really good, and adding magic with his musicianship and creativity. The band has continued to put out great stuff, but their debut continues to be my most played album by them, and it's just such a heartfelt and honest album all the way through. It's an emotional album with a lot of feelings, haunting and beautiful choruses, and just overall a well-written art-rock/pop album.

Favorite songs: Summer, Scars, Lullaby, Hello, Blackfield.

43. Tool - Lateralus (2001)

Genre: Progressive Metal

This album was for a long time my favorite progressive album, and it continues to have a very special place in my heart. I sometimes change opinions over if Aenima or Lateralus is the better album, because I think they are both fantastic at what they are trying to do. Aenima, I would say is a bit more alternative, where Lateralus is a more progressive album, but I feel like Lateralus has a slightly better balance, and the album doesn't only have amazing songs, but good "filler"-songs, that gives some nice breathing space between the longer ones. The album is probably familiar to a lot of people here, but what makes Tool progressive is their amazing musicianship when it comes to rhythm. Their music is almost hypnotic at times, and a song like "Schism" is the perfect example of how Tool use their instruments to make a very mesmerizing sound, that will captivate you. The songs really take their time to build-up, and the payoff is really rewarding. The album might take time to grow on you, but the reward is amazing, and it's one of the best modern progressive albums for sure.

Favorite songs: Lateralus, The Patient, Parabol/Parabola, Schism, The Grudge

42. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt (2010)

Genre: Singer/Songwriter, Folk

Next up on the list we have Swedish singer/songwriter, Kristian Mattson who goes under the name "The Tallest Man on Earth". He has been compared to Bob Dylan a lot (mostly because of the voice), but I think the comparison is fairly surface-level, and when you really start exploring the music, apart from being similar kind of music (a man with a guitar) and the voice, there are differences in a lot of other places. I've never cared much for Dylan personally, but Tallest Man on Earth has really stuck with me. It took me a few listens to warm up to his voice, but once it clicked, it clicked big time. I consider all his three albums to be of excellent quality, but The Wild Hunt was the first one I heard, and I have a lot of personal memories related to first hearing the album and falling in love with it. If you enjoy a man with a guitar who sings his heart out, this music has the ability to wow you. He's also quite the guitarist and has some pretty neat fingerpicking moves. All in all just an excellent folk/singer-songwriter album, and a very stripped down sound.

Favorite songs: Love is All, Troubles Will Be Gone, Kids on the Run, Burden of Tomorrow, The Wild Hunt.

More updates to come!

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
Lateralus absolutely rules! :tup

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
@ColdFireYYZ - If you enjoy electronic music, Vespertine is certainly a good starting point. If you want something more "natural", her debut album might be a good starting place, since it's a bit more jazz-sounding, and feels a bit more "natural" so to speak.
I like what little electronic music that I've heard, but I think I'll go with the debut. Sounds like it's right up my alley.

Blackfield is great, and I love the more melodic "pop" side of SW. I think the second album may be my favorite, but the self-titled album is excellent as well.

Lateralus is a very good album, but I can't get into Tool. I like them when I listen to them, but they're not a band that I ever really feel like playing.

Offline adace

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »
Great list so far :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
The Wild Hunt is in my top 10. Awesome updates, though, love Bloom.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 10:25:10 PM »
Lateralus is probably a top 5 album all time for me, can't praise that one enough. The Wild Hunt would also probably make my top 50, and so would a Thrice album (TAI is my personal favorite). Blackfield might edge in too. Really great picks so far, and we have just begun!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 05:07:30 AM »
Thank you guys for the comments so far, and I'm glad you are finding picks that you enjoy! Gonna continue now with a couple of picks that are probably a bit more unique, in terms of not being talked about on this forum very much. So here are the next three numbers:

41. Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel (1998)

Genre: Electronica/Baroque Pop/Piano

Next up we have Tori Amos, one of my favorite female artists. She has been around for a little more than 20 years now, and has delivered many really good albums, even though she has experimented a bit with different sounds. "From the Choirgirl Hotel" is her fourth album, and while the first three were more traditional with 'a girl playing the piano and singing', this was the album where she started trying a lot of new things, and as a result this album is darker, and more electronic than previous albums. There are still a few songs similar to how she wrote the songs on previous albums, a song like "Black-Dove (January)" is a really good piano-ballad for example, but the album delivers many songs that are unique from what Tori did before this album. Really catchy and upbeat songs like "Raspberry Swirl" that is almost impossible not to dance to. Another song to highlight is "Hotel" which has some really creepy electronic stuff going on, and vocals that reminds you of opera-vocals during the chorus. In short summary, this album covers different genres and ideas, but manages to put them all in a context where they all make sense in relation to each other. Just a really good album if you are into female artists, and I highly recommend it. If you don't care much for electronic music but still enjoy a good female singer/songwriter, I highly recommend checking out "Under the Pink" or "Little Earthquakes", her two first albums that are more "girl with a piano", and a bit more 'straight forward'.

Favorite songs: Black-Dove (January), Raspberry Swirl, Spark, Pandora's Aquarium, Hotel.

40. Radiohead - Kid A (2000)

Genre: Electronica/Alternative Rock

I had a phase a few years ago when I got into Radiohead, when I was really obsessed with the band. That initial fanboy period is long gone, but the band has a couple of albums so strong that it's impossible not to come back and listen to them again. I've changed my mind regarding their best album a couple of times. In Rainbows used to be a favorite, and at one point I ranked Amnesiac as their best, but now I would say Kid A has settled as my favorite, closely followed by Amnesiac as nr2 and In Rainbows as nr3. While Radiohead started out as an alternative rock band, their electronic albums was always the ones that appealed to me the most, because those were the albums where the band really stepped out of their comfort zone to make something truly unique, and explore ideas and territories they hadn't done before. Kid A was considered groundbreaking when it came out, and is still considered by many to be a modern day classic. For me, one of the things I admire the most about Radiohead, is that while there are bands who adjust to trends in order to become more popular, Radiohead did the opposite. After making the album OK Computer, which was an extremely successful rock album, instead of following that same formula (which would have been guaranteed success), they instead made an experimental electronic album, and that takes balls. Kid A has a very dreamlike atmosphere, and the song "In Limbo" is a perfect example of the dreamy Radiohead that I love so much. Thom Yorke singing about how he woke up sucking on a lemon is another highlight, as well as "Idioteque", which is possibly the best dance song the band has made. The album is not 100% electronic though, and songs like "Optimistic" and "The National Anthem" are small nods to what the band can do when they try something guitar/drums/bass-oriented. If you are into electronic music this is a must checkout. If you don't like electronic music but like rock music, I highly recommend checking out maybe OK Computer or The Bends, two of the band's rock albums.

Favorite songs: Everything in it's Right Place, Optimistic, In Limbo, Morning Bell, Idioteque.

39. Cap'n Jazz - Shmap'n Shmazz (1995)

Genre: Indie/Emo/Post-Hardcore/Punk

Cap'n Jazz was an emo/indie-band formed in 1989 by brothers Mike and Tim Kinsella, and they were active until 1995 when they disbanded, even though they reunited a few years ago to tour. During this time they only released one album, and I have no idea how it was received when it came out, but eventually it became this cult-album within the emo/indie-scene, where it gained a lot of fans. Mike Kinsella later went on to form American Football (who also released an album that became a cult-album), and since then he has made music under the name of "Owen", and just released a new album this year. But back to Cap'n Jazz, their music can be hard to classify, because even though it has elements of emo and indie rock, there are also parts you relate to punk and post-hardcore. The music is very raw and unpolished (in a good way), and my dad pointed out that it almost sounded like everything was demo-versions that they had decided to release, and I think that is part of the charm, in a good way. The album is only about 30 minutes long, and the band later released a "best of" spanning over two CDs with the album in it's entirety, and everything else they recorded during the period they were active. I have that collection on both CD and vinyl, and it covers their career pretty nicely. This album however is long out of print and pretty rare from what I know, so if you want to check them out, you'll find the collection much more easily (it's called Analphabetapolothology), or just find the music digitally. The music sounds like it was made by a bunch of teenagers finishing school, and that is the big charm of it for me. Quality-wise it holds up really well. It has an innocent feel to it, and I can definitely see why it has become such a classic album within the emo/indie-scene.

Favorite songs: Little League, Precious, The Sands Have Turned Purple, Bluegrass, Yes I am Talking to You.

More to come later tonight!  :hat
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:51:03 AM by Zantera »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:12 AM »
Lateralus is great  :tup.

I like Tori Amos too, but I'm pretty new fan. The only albums I've heard yet are Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink. But I want to hear more. I like some electronic music, so I'll probably like From the Choirgirl Hotel too.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »
I'm not too familiar with Cap'n Jazz. Radiohead on the other hand...  :tup :tup

Though I'd probably rank In rainbows as my personal favorite.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
I actually just listened to From The Choirgirl Hotel for the first time a few days ago. I'd never listened to her before but I was really impressed with the album. Not what I was expecting (and that's a good thing!). Got to check out some of her other stuff too.

Kid A is really good too!  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
I'm a fan of every album posted so far, so you're on a good track. :tup

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (38-36)
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 03:53:22 PM »
Thought I would swoop by with the next three albums on the list. Some unique picks here too, but hopefully there are some fans around. I know Jordan will approve of at least one pick.  ;)

38. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (1988)

Genre: Alternative Rock/Post-Punk

Sonic Youth is considered to be one of the pioneers of alternative rock, and they got their breakthrough around the same time as bands like The Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction and Pixies started a bit of an alternative-revolution. They all had very different ideas and backgrounds, but all of them ended up making music that we consider to be alternative rock. I would say the angle for Sonic Youth was a bit of a punk-sound, and I would say out of the bands in the bunch I mentioned, Sonic Youth is the band that was really down with getting their hands dirty. Some people would even classify some of their music as noise rock, and they have experimented a lot with guitar sounds. Daydream Nation is generally considered their best, and is the middle album in the classic trio of albums, with the other two being Sister and Goo. This one is in my opinion the album where they hit the nail on the head, and delivered a flawless and classic album. What I love about this album is that the post-punk vibe shines through, and a lot of the songs are just straight up rocking, heavily. Lots of sweet guitar-riffs that gets your body moving, and the shift between male and female vocals gives the band a unique attribute, since they can pick what kind of vocals will go with the song the best. The album is also quite ambitious with several songs clocking in at over 7 minutes, and the longest being 14 minutes, and closing the album off. So it's not your typical intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus-end structure.

Favorite songs: Teenage Riot, Silver Rocket, Cross the Breeze, Rain King, Trilogy: a) The Wonder b) Hyperstation z) Eliminator Jr.

37. American Football - American Football (1999)

Genre: Math Rock/Emo/Indie Rock

I mentioned this band in the write-up for Cap'n Jazz, but I'll mention it here again. After the end of Cap'n Jazz, Mike Kinsella formed the band American Football, and while they were only active for 3 years, they released an album that has been considered a bit of a cult album within math rock/emo/indie circles. Now, you might want to lump this together with Cap'n Jazz, but trust me, they are very different. Where Cap'n Jazz is more abrasive and has a strong punk-vibe, American Football is beautiful like post-rock, with much cleaner and ear-friendly vocals. In fact, the music is pretty much what you would expect from a post-rock band today, except it's more towards the math rock-way, of using a lot of chords and notes to build the songs. The album has heartfelt and emotional lyrics, music that really moves you, and is just a very pleasant music experience overall. The opening-song "Never Meant" is one of the most emotional songs I know, and the first time I heard that song, it just clicked from the intro. The album takes you on a nice ride and is the perfect summer day-album, and it also has some nice use of brass-instruments like trumpets for example. "Stay Home" is another amazing song, clocking in at over 8 minutes, it just builds towards tears, and is one of my favorite long songs. A very mellow and melodic album, that you might enjoy if you like more depressive/emotional music. It's not incredibly sad or anything, just very emotional.

Favorite songs: Stay Home, Never Meant, The Summer Ends, Honestly?, You Know I Should Be Leaving Soon.

36. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (1991)

Genre: Post-Rock/Art-Rock/Jazz-Fusion/Experimental Rock

I'm not sure how well known this album (or band) is on the forum, but Talk Talk is generally considered to be part of the "first" phase of Post-Rock, together with bands like Slint and Bark Psychosis to give two examples. Before bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Rós and Mogwai shaped what we would later classify as Post-Rock, bands like Talk Talk and Slint dove into that swimming pool a couple of years earlier by trying new and different things. Talk Talk was originally more of a synthpop band, and they had a fairly big hit with "Its My Life", which was later covered by the band No Doubt, and was really successful. For the two last albums in their career, Talk Talk left behind the synth-based pop-sound in favor of making experimental and minimalistic jazz-music. The first release, "Spirit of Eden" which is almost as good as Laughing Stock, was an amazing album. They moved forward even further into experimental territory with Laughing Stock, and made an album that didn't get nowhere near the amount of praise it deserved, until many years later. Everything from the music to how the music was created is fascinating. The whole album was pretty much improvised by a lot of guest musicians, and was described to be: "recorded by chance, accident, and hours of trying every possible overdub idea". The album might take some listens to fully grow on you, but it is a fascinating album with lots of layers, and incredible musicianship. As a sidenote, Storm Corrosion and especially the last song, "Ljudet Innan" has a really strong Talk Talk-influence, and if you enjoy that song, you might really enjoy Talk Talk. Mark Hollis (the singer) even reminds me of SW in a couple of songs, depending on what notes he hits.

Favorite songs: New Grass, After the Flood, Taphead.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »
I have slowly been getting into post-punk, but haven't heard Sonic Youth yet. I'll check this album out for sure!

The only Talk Talk album I have is Spirit of Eden, which I really like. Been meaning to get Laughing Stock too. I really love Mark Hollis' vocals...he's incredible (I was actually just listening to his solo album yesterday for the first time).

So far, I have a bunch of albums from this list in my wishlist. My wallet is going to gradually shrink as this list continues. :lol
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:08:49 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 06:29:12 PM »
Daydream Nation :heart :heart

Like I was saying the other day, Sister is my favourite but Daydream Nation is still a 5 star release for me. American Football is a band I'm pretty new to but I like that album a lot. Laughing Stock is another great one. Used to like Spirit of Eden more, but that's changed.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »
I've never listened to Sonic Youth, I shall listen right now.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 11:37:29 PM »
I listened to that Sonic Youth album earlier and really loved it. If their other material is as good as this, then I can imagine them becoming one of my favorite bands.

Listening to Laughing Stock right now and I love it, as expected.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (35-33)
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 04:45:36 AM »
Glad to see some love for both Sonic Youth and Talk Talk!  :D
Time for another update!

35. Touche Amore - Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me (2011)

Genre: Post-Hardcore/Screamo

At number 35 we have the shortest album on my list, clocking in at just below 21 minutes long with 13 songs on it. There is only one song longer than 2 minutes on the album, and most songs are in the 1 to 1 ½ minute range. It's a short album, but it is packed with fantastic music and incredible lyrics. The songs have a natural flow to them, and many of the songs flow into each other without much effort, and at times it's more like listening to a long 21 minute song rather than 13 individual songs, but they are split up for convenience I suppose. The singer, Jeremy Bolm is one of the better lyricists I know, and he has an amazing ability of writing really honest and emotional lyrics. I would just like to point out a few of my favorite lines from this album: "if actions speak louder than words i'm the most deafening noise you've heard" & "This is my final act, so I'll need your full attention, and for my final trick, I’ll make everyone who loves me disappear".
The album really shines when it comes to the lyrics and the emotional delivery of them. A lot of very memorable lines that gets stuck in your memory, and remember for a while. This is the band's second album, and the first is equally as fantastic as this one I would say. They also have a new album coming out in September, which is one of my most anticipated albums of the year. Hopefully they will keep delivering music as good as they have in the past.  :)

Favorite songs: Home Away From Here, ~, The Great Repetition, Sesame, Method Act.

34. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet (2007)

Genre: Progressive Rock

I doubt the band or the album will be very surprising for people here, since I would say PT is the most discussed album on this board that isn't DT, and that FOABP is generally considered one of their better albums. There are many things I love about this album, but the one thing that makes it stick out as my favorite, is the incredible atmosphere in the music. It really feels like a well-crafted and cohesive album with a theme or an idea, rather than some of their other albums where it feels more like a collection of songs. The strengths of FOABP for me is that it shows the best of PT, and is a wonderful example of how progressive music today should, or can sound. The album has that amazing flow where the music feels like one 50 minute journey, but the songs are also fantastic enough to stand on their own legs, and that's what makes it so good. "Anesthetize" is such a fantastic 17 minute-song, and it really has all the best elements of PT in one song. I know some people are bothered by the lyrics on this album, but they don't bother me even slightly. I think I can relate to them, because I recognize a lot of the things brought up in the texts, things I have seen in other people for example. I think the album manages to criticize the modern society in a way that is warranted, and in that aspect it feels spot-on. This is the only PT album I would say is a 5/5-album, but it is such a brilliant one.

Favorite songs: Anesthetize, Sleep Together, Way out of Here.

33. Anathema - Judgement (1999)

Genre: Atmospheric Rock/Progressive Rock

Another pretty big DTF-band, Anathema is up next with their classic album "Judgement". I remember getting into this band so well, it was 4-5 years ago or something. I heard "Fragile Dreams" and just LOVED it. I moved on with Judgement for my first album, but wasn't impressed. The music was not bad or anything like that, but I must have listened to it 5-6 times, and it just kinda flew by. I didn't pay much notice of it. Pleasant music I guess, but didn't click or anything. Then one night I remember being in a really emotional state after having the girl I loved tell me that there was no way for us ever being together, so I was pretty sad over that, and I put on Anathema and it just clicked. I think people might react over me putting this specific album up, and not We're Here Because We're Here or Weather Systems, but personally I think their older music had a very unique emotional core that is a bit lost today. They still make amazing music (WHBWH would be their second best for me), but Judgement has something very depressing and sad that I can connect with on a whole other level. The music is emotional and can almost bring tears to your eyes, and the lyrics are so well-written that they go right into your heart. There is quite a Pink Floyd-vibe on this album as well, which really comes out in a song like "Emotional Winter" for example, with a very Gilmour-sounding intro. This album is packed with atmosphere and has almost a gothic vibe to it. Just a fantastic album overall, and I love how the first couple of songs flow into each other perfectly.

Favorite songs: Emotional Winter, Forgotten Hopes, One Last Goodbye, Judgement, Don't Look Too Far.

:hat

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 06:31:09 AM »
I've recently come to decide that Judgement may also be my favorite Anathema album as well. Not a single bad song, and a touch more consistent in its delivery than WHBWH and WS. Those two are great for some occasions, namely when looking for a pick me up, but otherwise this one takes the prize. I will say though, I'm surprised at how low you have it here. If I remember correctly you had it much higher the first go round.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 07:49:55 AM »
FOABP and Judgement! :tup As I've often said, I prefer Judgement to the latest 2 Anathema albums, although Alternative 4 is my #1.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
As great as FOABP is, I don't rank it as highly as most people do. It's incredible, but there are several other albums that I'd place ahead of it. Still, I always enjoy listening to it and Gavin's drumming is amazing.

While I prefer Anathema's recent stuff, I really like Judgement. One Last Goodbye and Emotional Winter are two of my favorite Anathema songs, and the rest of the album is very solid too.