Author Topic: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread  (Read 90879 times)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Re: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »
Anyone listened to Nas and Damien Marley's Collaboration album yet? I just got it and will be giving it a listen soon

Thanks for helping me snap to get that. I think it'll be fucking awesome, considering what they did on Welcome To Jamrock.

My goodness...

This album is definately up for my nominations of Album of the year. Seriously, go get it
Just got it, it's excellent! I've always had a soft spot for reggae and it blends really well with hip-hop in this case, relaxing and easy listening :hat . I second Volk's recommendation

Yeah, the album is seriously just really good. Theres not really a bad song on it. Some are weaker, but definately not bad.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Hip Hop challenge of the day:

Find a crazier album then ODB's Nigga Please. You can't.

ODB was hands down the worst member of the Wu Tang Clan. I'll never understand why people loved him so much. With the exception of U-God, the entire clan had great lyrics and incredible flow. ODB would just ramble and rant incoherently. He was pure shit.

I just realized this post contradicts an earlier post by me on this page. I'd like to clarify that while I don't like ODB, I think it's a shame he wasn't given a real verse on Triumph because all other 9 members had a verse on it. In other words, even though I don't like him, it would have been cool to have all 10 members on one track, as opposed to ODB doing an intro for the other 9 verses.

I love ODB because he is genuinely one of the most unique rappers out there. His entire presentation and style just make his songs work very well. He can pull off any type of hip hop, be it gangster(Wu-Tang material) pop rap (Shimmy Shimmy Ya), or just some absolutelycrazyfuckingshit (Raw Hide, Harlem World). And his lyrics are great if you're just looking for some very simple, light hearted fun.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2010, 10:50:46 PM »
Hip Hop challenge of the day:

Find a crazier album then ODB's Nigga Please. You can't.

ODB was hands down the worst member of the Wu Tang Clan. I'll never understand why people loved him so much. With the exception of U-God, the entire clan had great lyrics and incredible flow. ODB would just ramble and rant incoherently. He was pure shit.

I just realized this post contradicts an earlier post by me on this page. I'd like to clarify that while I don't like ODB, I think it's a shame he wasn't given a real verse on Triumph because all other 9 members had a verse on it. In other words, even though I don't like him, it would have been cool to have all 10 members on one track, as opposed to ODB doing an intro for the other 9 verses.

I love ODB because he is genuinely one of the most unique rappers out there. His entire presentation and style just make his songs work very well. He can pull off any type of hip hop, be it gangster(Wu-Tang material) pop rap (Shimmy Shimmy Ya), or just some absolutelycrazyfuckingshit (Raw Hide, Harlem World). And his lyrics are great if you're just looking for some very simple, light hearted fun.

You're right, he was incredibly unique and different, and I think that's the entire problem. I personally feel that he didn't fit in with the rest of the Clan. His lyrics, flow, delivery, and style are so at odds with the more serious aspects of the other Clansmen that he sticks out, in a very bad way. He may be able to pull off several different styles, but in a group as tight and focused as the Wu Tang Clan, it just doesn't work.

It'd be like if you threw an F student into an honors class. It'd be very apparent that the student doesn't belong there. That's the sort of impression I get when I listen to a Wu Tang Clan song with ODB on it.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2010, 10:54:39 PM »
That's why I prefer his solo albums. They are in an entire different style from Wu. It's not as serious as Wu usually is, and the beats are much more diverse.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
Admittedly, all I've heard of him solo is Shimmy Shimmy Ya. That song was enough to scare me away from all the rest of his stuff. I suppose I could give him another chance...recommend a song or two?

« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2010, 01:06:46 AM »
Check out Brooklyn Zoo, Raw Hide, and Cutting Heads. Chances are if you can't dig those tracks then you wont like his other material.

« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2010, 11:27:50 AM »
The Ocarina of Rhyme by Team Teamwork may be the best thing ever.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2010, 12:51:10 AM »
Listened to CunninLynguists' A Piece Of Strange and it was very cool. Reminds me of the hip hop that is used in films, not your average east coast but conscious and southern hip hop instead. I finally get how that all sounds.

Listening to some undeground Russian hip-hop. It's actually really good  :omg:  :hat

The artist is Идефикс и Ганза , there are some mp3's to download here (link not broken, it works  ;) )
https://www.last.fm/music/%D0%98%D0%B4%D0%B5%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%81+%D0%B8+%D0%93%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B7%D0%B0

Can't understand what they are saying, but the sax and piano in the back is great. Try it out  :laugh:
I just got this, the previews sounded cool indeed!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »
OK inspired by my pop chart in my I hate Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus thread...

GOOD RAP/HIP HOP
NWA
Dr. Dre
Common
Lupe Fiasco
Eminem
Bone Thugs n Harmony

OK RAP/HIP HOP
Snoop Dogg
50 Cent
TI

CRAP RAP/HIP HOP
Lil Wayne
T Pain
Soulja Boy
Lil Jon

I love real rap, rap that's genuine.  Rap that's not perverted to the point of ridiculousness... which is where mainstream rap has been for a few years now.  Unfortunately Lil Wayne is what my 8th graders praised as being the best rap ever... I hope they are enlightened... because his stuff is absolute crap.  I can't stand his voice and his rhymes, and where 90% of his stuff is about sex and girls.  The stuff isn't real.  It isn't angry.  And Soulja Boy is just awful.  And T Pain with his ridiculous auto tune crap... it needs to go away.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2010, 09:45:01 PM »
To be honest, I only dig around 4 NWA songs, and they all happen to be their hits.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2010, 09:46:28 PM »
Man there is a heap more good hip-hop than that. You'd probably like;

A Tribe Called Quest
Nas
Wu-Tang Clan
GZA
Madvillainy
Public Enemy
DJ Shadow

+more
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2010, 09:50:58 PM »
I've been so obsessed with the Wu it's not even funny. I must have listened to 36 Chambers and all the solo stuff around 10 times this week.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2010, 12:13:07 AM »
Raekwon's House of Flying Daggers is my favorite Wu-related song at the moment. I love the beat and how it reprises Clan in Da Front from 36 Chambers. Method Man rips shit up on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2EB9hIKKho

« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2010, 12:27:47 AM »
Funny how you mention your favorite Wu song atm reprises Clan in Da Front, because my favorite track is 7th Chamber Part II atm.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »
P.O.S. is fucking awesome, listen to Let It Rattle or Purexed, that is all

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2010, 01:15:03 AM »
Listening now. Let it Rattle's beat is...weird. Good delivery though.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »
Anybody hear heard Eminem's Recovery yet?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2010, 02:55:41 PM »
Eminem's Recovery is fantastic. By far his most mature album yet and really on par with Marshall Mathers and Eminem Show records. MUCH better than Encore and Relapse. Lots of great material on there and his flow is better than ever. I really like Going Through Changes, Not Afraid, Spacebound, 25 to Life, and Love the Way You Lie.

Has anyone heard that Kweli/Hi-Tek album "Revolutions Per Second"? I'm interesting to hear if it's any good.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »
Eminem's Recovery is fantastic. By far his most mature album yet and really on par with Marshall Mathers and Eminem Show records. MUCH better than Encore and Relapse. Lots of great material on there and his flow is better than ever. I really like Going Through Changes, Not Afraid, Spacebound, 25 to Life, and Love the Way You Lie.
I wouldn't put it on par with The Marshall Mathers LP, but it's miles better than Relapse and Encore.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2010, 04:43:17 PM »
Has anyone else heard Gavin Castleton's A Bullet, A Lever, A Key?  It's perfection in hip hop lyrics and really subtly complex, and a fantastic concept....

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2010, 07:45:42 PM »
Going AFK to take a shower so the chatroom is off but I'm streaming P.O.S.'s Never Better on www.livestream.com/daedalusradio, check it out if interested.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2010, 11:00:52 PM »
I wouldn't put it on par with The Marshall Mathers LP, but it's miles better than Relapse and Encore.

Eh, maybe, but I've always thought Marshall Mathers LP was a little overrated. Too much Eminem bitching about being famous.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »
Alright people, recommend me some rap/hip hop or whatever. Right now the only artist I've heard and liked is Dalek, for what that's worth.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

« Reply #163 on: July 04, 2010, 11:18:22 PM »
Listen to 4th Chamber by GZA, The Curse by Snowgoons, Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique, Jazz by A Tribe Called Quest, and N.Y. State of Mind by Nas and tell me what you think.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #164 on: July 04, 2010, 11:21:47 PM »
I'd recommend Madvillain - Madvillainy (2004). It's more on the abstract side.  ;)

on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #165 on: July 04, 2010, 11:42:44 PM »
Listen to 4th Chamber by GZA, The Curse by Snowgoons, Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique, Jazz by A Tribe Called Quest, and N.Y. State of Mind by Nas and tell me what you think.

4th Chamber was good
The Curse was kinda meh
Dance With the Devil was AMAZING
Jazz was decent
NY State of Mind was kinda meh

I'd recommend Madvillain - Madvillainy (2004). It's more on the abstract side.  ;)

I'll check it out :tup
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: July 04, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »
You liked Dance With The Devil? That's the song that first got me into hip hop. Try out some more of Immortal Technique's stuff (say, You Never Know, or most of the stuff off Revolutionary Vol. 2), and then try a few songs from Atmosphere, P.O.S. and CunninLynguists (I'm bad at recommending specific songs, so I'll let someone else handle that :|)

« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2010, 12:12:40 AM »
Immortal Technique is the most common artist to get people who normally don't like rap to check out more rap. Get all his albums, im pretty sure you will dig em.

If you liked 4th Chamber, then check out more Wu related stuff, browse a few of their songs, try Triumph, C.R.E.A.M., Liquid Swords, and Criminology for songs.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2010, 02:46:00 AM »
Alright people, recommend me some rap/hip hop or whatever. Right now the only artist I've heard and liked is Dalek, for what that's worth.

Paul's Boutique, not because it's Beastie Boys... But because.... It's Paul's Boutique! My favourite hip hop record.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2010, 02:49:29 AM »
I second Paul's Boutique! Great album. It should be made perfectly clear though, that it's not very "serious." It's much more fun and goofy than most of what has been suggested so far.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
Here Sigz, your "to listen" list (actually, I think it's a pretty good list for anyone trying to get into the genre):

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary, Vol. 2
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange
Madvillain - Madvillainy
P.O.S. - Never Better
Beastie Boys - Paul's Botique
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (this took awhile to sink in for me, but it's great)

It's a good mix of old and new, I'm sure you'll find something you like on at least one of them.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2010, 12:44:55 PM »
I always like to recommend The Notorious B.I.G.'s Ready to Die to people, so you should listen to that album as well, Sigz.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »
I love it when you call me big papa
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »
poppa*

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2010, 07:39:01 PM »
Anyone else into NWA?  I freaking love "Straight Outta Compton".

edit:  I'm also gonna recommend Immortal Technique.  The two Revolutionary albums are epic.  Granted, I'm only starting to get into hip hop myself.