Author Topic: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread  (Read 91719 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread
« Reply #595 on: September 09, 2016, 07:11:28 PM »
new zack de la rocha is pretty fire. el-p produced it, and there's a full length coming soon.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #596 on: September 10, 2016, 12:50:59 AM »
Yeah that track is awesome, I had to hit repeat right after it was done playing.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline dparrott

« Reply #597 on: September 11, 2016, 09:40:56 AM »
Vocals are good, beat is boring.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #598 on: September 12, 2016, 11:05:09 PM »
maybe it's because i love el-p, but i love the beat.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #599 on: September 13, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
El-P makes nice beats, but tbh his old beats are just so much better. Especially stuff for Cannibal Ox and Company Flow. Iron Galaxy may be my all-time favourite hip hop beat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #600 on: September 28, 2016, 04:18:37 PM »
Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition is AOTYSF.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #601 on: September 28, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »
Been meaning to listen to that ^

You should all also give a listen to Denzel Curry's Imperial -- a top album this year for sure!

Single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8VO4Rm3ulw

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #602 on: September 28, 2016, 09:12:51 PM »
I listened to Imperial a couple times. It was fine but I haven't been compelled to go back to it. My favorite hip hop releases this year are Kendrick's EP and Anderson Paak's Malibu. Granted I'm behind and I haven't gotten to some stuff yet, Clipping for example. If that album is anything like their last one, that could easily be my favorite Hip Hop this year.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #603 on: September 28, 2016, 10:26:44 PM »
I listened to Imperial a couple times. It was fine but I haven't been compelled to go back to it. My favorite hip hop releases this year are Kendrick's EP and Anderson Paak's Malibu. Granted I'm behind and I haven't gotten to some stuff yet, Clipping for example. If that album is anything like their last one, that could easily be my favorite Hip Hop this year.
New Clipping is great, but try to come in open-minded. It's very ambitious and while it undeniably has the Clipping sound, it's very different in execution from anything else they've done, or even from any other hip hop album.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #604 on: September 30, 2016, 08:32:09 AM »
Denzel and Danny Brown are good but their tone annoys me.  It's like listening to a singer repeatedly sing the same note.

Here's a rap remix of a rock remake of a rap song:
https://youtu.be/jcYKeqgpbrs

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #605 on: September 30, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »
New Clipping is great, but try to come in open-minded. It's very ambitious and while it undeniably has the Clipping sound, it's very different in execution from anything else they've done, or even from any other hip hop album.
Wouldn't have it any other way. Love those guys.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline dparrott

« Reply #606 on: November 10, 2016, 02:19:05 PM »
New/Final A Tribe Called Quest DOUBLE album out tomorrow. Great stuff.

Edit: Well, spoke too soon.  The first disc has great songs on it, the second disc is half ATCQ and half guests, not as good.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:44:04 PM by dparrott »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #607 on: November 11, 2016, 07:21:21 PM »
New ATCQ surprised me a lot. They're one of my favourites, but I didn't have much hope that this album would be good. But I like it a lot!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #608 on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:37 AM »
Forgot about this one.  Love the Levee Breaks beat, very dark song.

https://youtu.be/n6UmRmFHAkE

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #609 on: January 20, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
RTJ3 IS FIRE.
prog sucks

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #610 on: January 21, 2017, 08:06:29 AM »
I have been listening to non-stop drake lately. Specifically the album take care. Its real good in rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic. Chills me out real good

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #611 on: January 21, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
RTJ3 IS FIRE.
:tup :tup :tup

Killer Mike is on a huge fucking win streak: four albums now going back to his last solo in 2012 have been outstanding; everything he does lately has been dope. Including all his increased political activism as well. Love the dude. ATL represent!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #612 on: January 21, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
RTJ3 IS FIRE.
:tup :tup :tup

Killer Mike is on a huge fucking win streak: four albums now going back to his last solo in 2012 have been outstanding; everything he does lately has been dope. Including all his increased political activism as well. Love the dude. ATL represent!

100% agree. the fire and intensity he brings to the hip hop world is unmatchable.
prog sucks

Offline dparrott

« Reply #613 on: February 11, 2017, 08:32:50 PM »
New OC album keepin it old school!   :hefdaddy 
https://soundcloud.com/ditcent/oc-same-moon-same-sun-snippets

Offline dparrott

« Reply #614 on: February 18, 2017, 02:39:07 PM »
Snoop Dogg still spittin hard!
https://youtu.be/BaqjOP9Mix8

Offline dparrott

« Reply #615 on: March 04, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Just discovered this album. AMAZING. Not one bad song on it. Great samples, beats and flows.  https://youtu.be/qE4a17z1jyU

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #616 on: April 16, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
Unpopular opinion, I think Damn is better than To Pimp a Butterfly.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #617 on: April 17, 2017, 03:45:34 AM »
But why?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #618 on: April 18, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »
But why?

First, most people say there is no theme. I disagree entirely. I believe it is Keirkagaard, or perhaps Camus levels of lamenting. He's having a serious existential crisis between the grey morality he knew in Compton, that he continues to see in the world, with the simple uplifting message of TPAB. The Fox response to TPAB brought back some anger inside of him he had forgotten since he's been more prosperous, and I think that put him back in line with his inner childhood demons that he exorcised on GKMC. He at times in this album admits to feeling like a hypocrite on TPAB, that he may actually be disconnected from the black community he claims to want to save. That he isn't a savior, and that his messiah complex can't be left unchecked. That he's just a rapper, a man, a musician, struggling with his life.

In XXX he says "I would chip a n-, throw the blower in his lap, and walk myself to court like bitch I did that." Then in Duckworth he takes a personal scenario and compares it to the age old existential question of, "How do you know what the right choice is, if the true results won't be revealed for years to come?" As in, 20 years later sitting in the record studio, all three of the making millions. Kendrick is trying to say, "I'm not a genius, I'm just lucky, like everyone else." It's very existential throughout the whole album, and explores religion, absurdism, hedonism, etc.

Then, the simple songs that people are complaining about like LOYALTY, LOVE, LUST. He made songs that by and large, the actual black communities will listen to. It's a reminder that he isn't making albums for hiphopheads, or pitchfork, or a grammy, or money. He's doing it for Compton and the black community of America at large.

Edit: DAMN is also as fun to listen to as GKMC, where as TPAB is offputting at times, and not a daily listen. I could bump GKMC and DAMN back to back every morning for the next five years.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #619 on: April 18, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
^ Well argued post.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #620 on: April 18, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
Thanks, it's getting a lot of flack in hiphop communities online and it really annoys me. I remembered that prog nerds are better at breaking down hidden themes so I figured there would more people that saw the themes easily the first few days. It'll take people like theneedledrop a few months to realize they're an idiot, and that this is every bit as deep as TPAB, but deceptively so. Like swimming pools but over a whole album. It sounds like any other rap album for a second, until you realize it's Kendrick.

Edit: This album is genius for XXX and Duckworth alone. They're songs with conflicting songs that aren't back to back. I think there is a few others. I haven't really sat down to break down everything, because I like slowly figuring it out.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #621 on: April 19, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
Thanks for the elaborate response, some really good points in there, especially about the concept. The album has grown a bit on me, I think I'd rate as somewhere between a 7 and an 8. I like the more aggresive style in songs lie DNA, and for instance love the chorus in XXX. Still overall I just feel the album is a bit more boring compared to To Pimp a Butterfly or Good Kid. I just miss the unexpected twists and turns, all the influences from other genres, the more poetic lyrics etc

He's doing it for Compton and the black community of America at large.
That could make sense, but still does not make them better songs in my opinion :P
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #622 on: April 19, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »
I think they're good songs on their own if you listen to some more mainstream hip-hop, or are up to date with what is currently being played in black communities. I really believe Kendrick set out to make a rap album that people who listen anyone from Drake to Young Dolph to Lil Herb to J. Cole to Young Thug could enjoy it at some point, but also the Hiphopheads would know it was still a solid Kendrick album, enjoy some songs, and move on mostly happy. The only criticism anyone has is that it isn't as good as TPAB or GKMC.

Also, people mad because it isn't as political as All-AMeriKKKan bada$$ clearly don't know anything about the overall differences in rap persona of Joey Bada$$ and Kendrick.

Edit: To expand, this album has blown up quicker than GKMC or TPAB in terms of local radio play on the hip-hop stations, and getting retweeted on black twitter. This album is more accepted already by the largest consumer of rap music. By what traditionally makes a great rap album, this is Kendricks best so far.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #623 on: April 24, 2017, 07:45:55 PM »
it's till too early for me to really compare DAMN w/ his other albums. my gut reaction is that to pimp a butterfly is better, but i said that about good kid maad city when TPAB came out, and now it's my top 5, so i def need more time w/ damn.
prog sucks

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #624 on: April 25, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »
This is the album I thought would come after GKMC. I think he might have felt the same way too, but TPAB fit the time (in terms of what was going on in America). If you consider the story that now spans four albums, Damn. makes more sense between GKMC and TPAB. In his interview with Zane on beats recently he pretty much confirms this is a multiple album story with the same people, but more than likely they're actually just the same caricature. It's not exactly a story in the way of involving set characters, or locations. More like the Bible, where stories can be taken in the context of the line, or the verse, or the passage, or the book. Sometimes they're vague caricatures like "There was once a king...", sometimes they're specific people.

Kendrick presents himself on three levels, the way he sees himself (his ego) as a person/artist/musician/story teller/influence on black culture, the way his legacy will be viewed in terms of rap music/black culture, and the blanket ghetto youth he believes he is seen as (hence the Fox news clips on Damn., and the heavy themes on GKMC). Through this expression of himself he relates to multiple levels of the story through metaphor, and references that span albums.

An example would be the line "I need some water" on Lust, a song defending peoples right to waste their life, to the song "Sing for me I'm dying of thirst" a song where Kendrick is apologizing to people he criticized on Section.80 in order to tell his story.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #625 on: June 17, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »
Just heard the latest Snoop Dogg album, it's got a lot of good songs with some old school references and MC's.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #626 on: June 19, 2017, 01:28:59 AM »
i never thought i would ever say this, but i actually like the new 2 chainz record. like a lot. 'saturday night' is the stand out for me, but overall it's just a solid album.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #627 on: June 19, 2017, 07:19:38 AM »
Chiming in on the response to DAMN.  I really think it's Kendrick's best offering yet. 

I think all of his albums just have this natural 'conceptual continuity' as Zappa called it. 

Section 80 is realising that, like it or not, you're a product of the generation before you and you have to deal with the consequences of their actions ('we all crack babies'). 

GKMC is the caterpillar stage of the butterfly, consuming the street life etc, but also having to deal with the sociological ramifications of your place in the cosmic lottery. 

TPAB is the butterfly coming back to the streets to try and show everyone still in the struggle that there is war outside of the streets - that's the bigger picture of the world being run by those in power, and street life being the consequence of those larger sociological issues.  This is Kendrick imploring the black community to quit 'playing the victim' and take responsibility for their own actions - the war on the streets that turns communities against one another, which is really a distraction to blind people to the real, world-wide issues that landed the black community here in the first place.

Then DAMN.  It's the realisation after the events of 2016 that no matter how hard Kendrick, or anyone else, tries to change the world around them, the only thing that the really have power over is themselves.  Each of us need to address how we deal with LUST, LOVE, LOYALTY, GOD, PRIDE, HUM(ILITY) for ourselves, before we try to affect any kind of change on the world around us.  It's a stark realisation and I think the album communicates that perfectly, and powerfully.  Well, at least that's how I read it.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #628 on: June 26, 2017, 10:23:20 PM »
KRS-ONE still rockin out!  THIS is the OLD SCHOOL ENERGY that most artists today LACK! :metal

https://youtu.be/MAJutpkz1L4
https://youtu.be/IDhxA3L8Pec

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #629 on: June 27, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »
really into the new vince staples. haven't listened to big boi, thugger, or keif yet, but they're up next on my list. there's just way too much good hip hop coming out right now, i can't keep up.
prog sucks