Author Topic: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread  (Read 90873 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread
« Reply #525 on: June 18, 2015, 03:16:17 PM »
TPAB is probably one of my fav hip hop releases of all time by this point. It's so damn good!
Same here.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #526 on: August 08, 2015, 09:26:11 AM »
So Dr. Dre has finally dropped a third official album called "Compton: A Soundtrack", and what a surprise it is full of "trap beats" (still unclear as to what those are), southern beats and auto-tune.  No west coast sounding tracks at all.  I'm not saying he can't change or evolve, but these old school artists try so hard to sound current and it sounds stupid.  It's like they're trying to be some other artist and not be true to themselves.  Dr. Dre could make any style of hip hop he wants, even make his own style, which he did in the past, yet he chooses to copy what's out there today.  Ice Cube has been trying to sound current for many years also.  I don't get it.  Dre's new album has gotten a wide range of reviews.  Some say classic, some say it's awful.

On the plus side, the new Public Enemy album is a good balance of old and new, and continues their string of good recent albums.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: August 08, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »
I think trap beats are like,  half time beats with busy hi hat rhythms

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #528 on: August 10, 2015, 08:02:31 AM »
There are, like 3-4 trap beats on Dre's Compton album. There's some autotune but it's used to create FX instead of fixing bad intonation.

And I really think the album is entirely killer. I was 13 when Chronic 2001 came out, so this album can't possibly have that much impact on me. While it lacks the G Funk of The Chronic and the sparseness of 2001, this album plays like a movie and it's full of musical detail and layering. The lyrics are for the most part more mature, compared to the constant talking about hoes on 2001.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline dparrott

« Reply #529 on: August 16, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »
Public Enemy finally gets clearance to sample Honky Tonk Woman.  They've been trying since 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9I-xO35Rc4

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #530 on: August 19, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #531 on: August 28, 2015, 09:57:43 PM »
yooooooooooooooo. this is a lil' late, but has any one listened to 'the beyond / where the giants roam'? i've listened to it at least 5 times today, and hard times like 10 or 15. thundercat is on whole other level rite now.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #532 on: August 28, 2015, 11:08:34 PM »
I really need to get that.  I've heard great things about it although Apocalypse got old for me really fast for some weird reason.  I have enjoyed everything that Thundercat has been collaborating on tho.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #533 on: August 28, 2015, 11:21:01 PM »
Um, how is Thundercat hip hop?  Am I missing something?

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #534 on: August 28, 2015, 11:25:56 PM »
Um, how is Thundercat hip hop?  Am I missing something?

uh, what? how is he not hip-hop?
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #535 on: August 29, 2015, 09:01:44 AM »
In the two songs I listened to, it's all singing.  Sounds like R&B to me. What song does he actually RAP in?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #536 on: August 29, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »
Thundercat is most certainly not hip hop. He's nu-jazz, neo soul, and funk, but definitely not hip hop. Still, I think he's worthy of some discussion because of how often he has affiliated with some major hip hop artists on their songs.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #537 on: August 29, 2015, 12:19:57 PM »
Yeah, he collaborated with Flying Lotus, K-Dot, etc...
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #538 on: August 29, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »
you don't need to rap to be hip-hop. look at kid cudi. dude hasn't rapped in like 5 years, and he's still considered hip-hop. there's a /rap for a reason. sure, most of what thundercat does solo is more r&b, funk, neo soul, that kinda thing, but all those together is what makes up hip-hop. also, a large chunk of his body of work is w/ hip-hop people or for hip-hop people. you guys are looking at this way too closely.
prog sucks

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #539 on: August 29, 2015, 08:40:42 PM »
sure, most of what thundercat does solo is more r&b, funk, neo soul, that kinda thing, but all those together is what makes up hip-hop.
No they don't. Hip hop is an entirely different genre from what Thundercat does. Nothing about his solo stuff is hip hop. :P

Also, it's typically stitched with "/rap" because lots of people refer to hip hop informally as rap. If you want to be technical, rap is not really a genre of music, and when referred to as one hip hop is what is intended. It's just a vocal style.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #540 on: August 29, 2015, 11:03:05 PM »
i never said his solo stuff was hip-hop. i figured i would post about him in here, because that's where all the discussion i've seen about him take place, and, regardless of whether or not his albums are hip-hop, he is a huge part of hip-hop in 2015. it just made sense to me. i'm sorry if i offended the genre nazis, but you can be sure that it was never my intention to do so.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #541 on: August 29, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »
Hip hop is a culture. Rap is just one element of that culture. Thundercat would definitely fall into the culture of hip hop just as easily as he would fall into neo soul, whatever, it's all related to the culture of hip hop anyway.  I don't get why anyone would doubt that.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #542 on: August 30, 2015, 12:11:11 AM »
i'm glad someone gets it.
prog sucks

Offline dparrott

« Reply #543 on: September 07, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »
Just discovered the group People Under The Stairs.  Great old school sound.  Been around since the late 90's.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #544 on: September 25, 2015, 08:53:28 AM »
Blackalicious: First album in 10 years!  Aside from one autotune track, it's straight old school!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/imani-vol.-1/id1026250858

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #545 on: September 26, 2015, 06:35:22 AM »
prog sucks

Offline dparrott

« Reply #546 on: October 10, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
Kanye + Weezer = Yeezer!  I'm not a Kanye fan, but this is good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT2vtnYO194

Offline dparrott

« Reply #547 on: January 22, 2016, 11:51:13 AM »
I missed that KRS-ONE dropped a new album in November.  Still spittin fire 30 years later.  The real hip-hop is OVER HERE!

https://krsone.bandcamp.com/album/now-hear-this-the-album

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #548 on: February 28, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »
Finally put my mixtape up for download, if anyone is interested. I am a high school english teacher, and rap under the moniker of Big Teach. Yes, this is a real project, not a joke. Yes, I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea -- but if anyone has comments or constructive criticisms, I'd of course love to hear them.

https://www.datpiff.com/mixtapes-detail-2015.php?id=756632

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #549 on: February 28, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
Finally put my mixtape up for download, if anyone is interested. I am a high school english teacher, and rap under the moniker of Big Teach. Yes, this is a real project, not a joke. Yes, I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea -- but if anyone has comments or constructive criticisms, I'd of course love to hear them.

https://www.datpiff.com/mixtapes-detail-2015.php?id=756632

Cool! I'll check it out later in the week, and I'll tell you what I thought of it. I'm a stranger to rap music, but I'm interested in listening to different things, so actually this will be the third rap album I listen to (after The Marshall Mathers LP in 2002 and Licensed To Ill in 2005).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:42:26 AM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #550 on: February 29, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »
^ Thanks!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #551 on: February 29, 2016, 06:07:55 PM »
any thoughts on TLOP?  only listened a couple times, seems less coherent than MBDTF or Yeezus.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #552 on: February 29, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »
I found TLOP one of his worst together with Yeezus.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #553 on: February 29, 2016, 06:45:53 PM »
hmmm, yeah.  I don't dig yeezus either.  I need to give TLOP more of a listen before I make up my mind.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #554 on: February 29, 2016, 09:59:49 PM »
TLOP has a lot of good songs but it's also an unfocused mess of an album.

Also Yeezus is amazing, don't hate.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #555 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:09 PM »
Yeezus is an amazing 6/10 album  :P

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #556 on: March 01, 2016, 01:06:08 AM »
haven't listened to the life of pablo, but yeezus is an easy 10/10 for me. it's my favorite of his albums by far.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #557 on: March 01, 2016, 02:56:43 AM »
i honestly don't see what's so great about it.  besides Hold My Liquor, Blood on the Leaves, Bound 2 and On Sight, the rest is mostly forgettable for me.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #558 on: March 02, 2016, 11:06:21 PM »
i'm in it is a classic, justin vernon CRUSHES on the track, black skinhead is sick (w/ a weird depeche mode vibe), new slaves is so visceral amazing, and tbh, i always forget about send it up and guilt trip, but those songs are great too. the entire album is just so great.

it's def not everyone's cup of tea, but holy shit is it my cup of tea.
prog sucks

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #559 on: March 03, 2016, 12:23:07 AM »
Yeezus doesn't have a really amazing track like Jesus Walks or Runaway and is a bit fillerish at times (especially I'm In It, Guilt Trip and Send it Up). I guess that's why it's considered one of the worst Kanye albums.