Author Topic: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread  (Read 90951 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread
« Reply #490 on: February 26, 2015, 08:32:23 PM »
MBDTF is definitely one fine record.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #491 on: February 26, 2015, 11:33:09 PM »
New Run the Jewels is fantastic. Less energy than the first but I dig the production/beats more. Love it.

Yeah, it's pretty good, not sure if i will end up liking it more than the debut but, yet again, they manage to release one of the best albums of the year.

Thinking about it, they released Cancer 4 Cure, RAP Music, Run The Jewels and RTJ2, all ranging from good to great, in a period of 3 years. Considering the state of music today, that's pretty impressive.

Just got RTJ 1&2.  Listening to 2 atm cos I wanted to hear Zack De La Rocha.  This is awesome.

Run the Jewels is the greatest hip-hop collab to happen in a long time. Killer Mike and El-P were meant to be together.

Also on a related note, Killer Mike is the best rapper in the game, and he has been for years. It just took RTJ for him to get some mass exposure.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #492 on: February 27, 2015, 02:29:29 AM »
New Run the Jewels is fantastic. Less energy than the first but I dig the production/beats more. Love it.

Yeah, it's pretty good, not sure if i will end up liking it more than the debut but, yet again, they manage to release one of the best albums of the year.

Thinking about it, they released Cancer 4 Cure, RAP Music, Run The Jewels and RTJ2, all ranging from good to great, in a period of 3 years. Considering the state of music today, that's pretty impressive.

Just got RTJ 1&2.  Listening to 2 atm cos I wanted to hear Zack De La Rocha.  This is awesome.

Run the Jewels is the greatest hip-hop collab to happen in a long time. Killer Mike and El-P were meant to be together.

I believe that. 

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #493 on: February 27, 2015, 06:16:41 PM »

Also on a related note, Killer Mike is the best rapper in the game, and he has been for years. It just took RTJ for him to get some mass exposure.

I was just going to say that RTJ 2 was one of my favorite albums from last year. I hadn't heard any hip hop that was so in-your-face in years.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #494 on: March 06, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »
This is a perfect example of why I don't listen to recent hip hop artists.  This one song alone has personality, energy, vocal and lyrical skill.  Hardly anyone I have heard recently is on this level.

https://youtu.be/q1DPPhXm1uQ
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #495 on: March 17, 2015, 01:15:07 AM »
Fuck.  So I've listened through Kendrick's new one To Pimp a Butterfly like three times today.  It seems unreal that it even exists.  It's amazing.  It shows an enormous amount of growth, yet still manages to have a sorta updated Section 80 vibe.  Fucking kewl.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #496 on: March 17, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »
New Kendrick is funky. It took me a couple songs to decide whether I liked it, but damn.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #497 on: March 17, 2015, 02:11:41 PM »
That's a great title.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #498 on: March 17, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »
New Kendrick is dope.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #499 on: March 17, 2015, 04:02:34 PM »
That's a great title.

Ha that's funny you should say that, I thought it was stupid the first time I read it.  But once I listened through and the message of the title became clear it made it more digestible, but still kinda silly. 

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #500 on: March 17, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »
FlyLo made most of, if not all, the beats on the new Kendrick, and Thundercat is all OVER that shit. It's an amazing record.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #501 on: March 18, 2015, 01:55:53 AM »
Didn't he just do the first track?  Thundercat is definitely all over it, so good to hear his voice and bass skeells.  Listened to it another 2 or 3 times today, so good. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #502 on: March 18, 2015, 09:34:05 AM »
That's a great title.

Ha that's funny you should say that, I thought it was stupid the first time I read it.  But once I listened through and the message of the title became clear it made it more digestible, but still kinda silly.
I'd say hip hop needs more silliness like it used to have.  One reason why I love old school rap more is that it wasn't always deep and meaningful, it was more fun. 

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #503 on: March 18, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »
Didn't he just do the first track?  Thundercat is definitely all over it, so good to hear his voice and bass skeells.  Listened to it another 2 or 3 times today, so good.

He only has credit on the first track, but I'm almost certain he said that he gave all those beats to Kendrick. He was gonna use them for Captain Murphy, but Kendrick wanted some beats so he gave him a bunch.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #504 on: March 18, 2015, 04:18:29 PM »
That's a great title.

I'd say hip hop needs more silliness like it used to have.  One reason why I love old school rap more is that it wasn't always deep and meaningful, it was more fun. 

Yeah, I guess the title sounds silly but its pretty deep and meaningful

He only has credit on the first track, but I'm almost certain he said that he gave all those beats to Kendrick. He was gonna use them for Captain Murphy, but Kendrick wanted some beats so he gave him a bunch.

Yeah I read that interview, thats the one where he says Kendrick wanted Never Catch Me for To Pimp a Butterfly right.  It definitely sounds like FlyLo on a bunch of the tracks but I'm pretty sure Kenny couldn't use his beats without crediting him.

EDIT: It's funny how Kendrick can make a concept album stronger than any prog band can. :lol
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:54:35 PM by sneakyblueberry »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #505 on: March 18, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »
New Kendrick is fantastic. He's building up quite a track record. Leaves me super hyped for whatever he'll do next.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #506 on: March 19, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
Nothing for me to get excited about, but I'll give it up to him, some good songs and flow and old school funk on it.  I'm waitin on the next Suga Free album to drop.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #507 on: March 19, 2015, 11:00:48 PM »
new death drips is fire.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #508 on: March 20, 2015, 06:12:39 PM »
lol death drips. is it the one without Ride?

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #509 on: March 20, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »
nah. jenny death. it leaked so they're streaming it on youtube. it's dope.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:31:08 PM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #510 on: March 20, 2015, 08:26:58 PM »
It's really awesome. Actually managed to live up to the hype.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #511 on: March 23, 2015, 01:47:57 PM »
the new earl sweatshirt is chill.
prog sucks

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #512 on: March 23, 2015, 02:53:36 PM »
Damn, hip hop is killing it this year.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #513 on: March 23, 2015, 04:11:07 PM »
truuuuuuuuuuuuue. honestly, this year has been sick for music in general so far, and it doesn't look like it's gonna slow down.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #514 on: March 23, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
Damn, hip hop is killing it this year.

This.

the new earl sweatshirt is chill.

Ah, gotta get on this, just listened to Cruel yesterday, was good news.

EDIT: Lol Cruel.  I meant Grief.  I wrote that in lecture lol.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:01:49 AM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #515 on: March 23, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »
Kendrick's album has been rockin my world, the only album that manages to get me off Steven Wilson's HCE.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #516 on: April 03, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »
Since it's Good Friday, a quick freestyle I made about Judas Iscariot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1YkSjgmndw

I'd love to hear reactions/feedback, even if it's negative.

Thanks.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #517 on: April 03, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »
Damn Teach, that's pretty good!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #518 on: April 03, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »
Damn Teach, that's pretty good!
Your check is in the mail!

No, seriously, thanks! I'm gonna have a whole tape done here pretty soon, so I'll post it here when I do.

To contribute to the thread, heresy I know but I have not really checked out the new Kendrick too much yet.

I was going to go see Run The Jewels in my town this weekend, but now I can't go.... sad

The new Luda KNOCKS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8jAaMeWhE

Offline dparrott

« Reply #519 on: April 03, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
Yea that Beast Mode song has good lyrics.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #520 on: April 15, 2015, 07:41:51 AM »
Not a great hip hop fan here but I loved GKMC, been putting off listening to To Pimp a Butterfly because I thought it would be hard for me to enjoy another hip hop record that much. Long story short, I started listening to it a couple of days ago, and boy was I wrong. Been listening to it almost non stop since the first spin and I like it more and more with each listen. It has me reading the lyrics, watching interviews with Kendrick, trying to dig deeper and deeper into its meaning... I haven't been hit this hard by an album in ages.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #521 on: April 17, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
DAMN these guys can flow!  Real music in the background too.

https://youtu.be/bp2GxCE-qSY

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #522 on: June 12, 2015, 11:03:17 PM »
Holy shit I'm loving To Pimp A Butterfly. Never thought I could find a hip-hop record I could dig, that much.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #523 on: June 13, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »
TPAB is probably one of my fav hip hop releases of all time by this point. It's so damn good!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #524 on: June 18, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
I've also been spinning Clipping - CLPPNG. Experimental hip-hop with some industrial influences. Damn, so damn creative. Story 2 might one of the most progressive songs I've heard - the beats change their time signature every 4 bars or so. And the climax... Damn.