Author Topic: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread  (Read 90886 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread
« Reply #350 on: December 11, 2013, 12:30:29 AM »
Busdriver flips Drake's "Worse Behavior":
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16423-busdriver-worse/

So much better.  Drake's version is terrible.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #351 on: December 11, 2013, 12:36:52 AM »
Boys and girls, this is how it's done.  Recognize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwoiJJG484

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #352 on: December 16, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »
For those who are apprehensive of hip-hop, here are some good rap/metal hybrids:
Eminem - Lose Yourself Remix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=097q5gySBp0
Eminem - Without Me Remix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeDtGi_t6jk
Eminem - 3 AM Travis Barker Remix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11_EOYYr2OM
LL Cool J - Whaddup (Live) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDPIXwItMUo

Offline Red

« Reply #353 on: December 18, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
I know it's old but theses songs sounded pretty good to me even to this day.

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message

Also White Lines by them.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #354 on: December 18, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
Busdriver flips Drake's "Worse Behavior":
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16423-busdriver-worse/

So much better.  Drake's version is terrible.

Fuck outta here, Drake's version is one of the year's best.

REMEMBER

MAFUCKA

EDIT: If you guys haven't heard Run the Jewels' (Killer Mike and El P) debut you really need to get on one of the best rap albums of the year. get it for free here: https://foolsgoldrecs.com/runthejewels/

Offline dparrott

« Reply #355 on: December 18, 2013, 07:00:47 PM »
I'm sorry, saying "REMEMBER...MUTHAFUCKA...REMEMBER...MUTHAFUCKAS NEVER LOVED US"  is not hip hop to me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: December 18, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »
I like Drake less and less each time I hear him.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #357 on: December 18, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
Yeah, I've tried to get into Drake, but I just cannot take him seriously. I also don't really like his voice either.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #358 on: December 18, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »
I'm sorry, saying "REMEMBER...MUTHAFUCKA...REMEMBER...MUTHAFUCKAS NEVER LOVED US"  is not hip hop to me.

Ok, hip hop arbiter :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: December 19, 2013, 04:33:33 AM »
Drake's production is always good, but his rapping is pretty subpar, and in terms of lyricism, while he does hit it out of the park occasionally, he really likes cliches and spends a lot of time on the typical trivialities.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #360 on: December 19, 2013, 08:42:46 AM »
That's one thing I hate about current hip hop: the value of production is higher than lyrical skills.  It used to be the opposite.  If someone sucked on the mic, it didn't matter what the beat sounded like.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: December 19, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »
I don't think you can say that the value of production is higher than lyrical skills. I love the musical production in most of Drake's stuff, but I realize that the guy you identify as "Drake" isn't really as responsible for that; at least 50 percent of "Drake" is really credited to his long-term producer, Shebib. Yet everyone loves Drake, and barely anyone knows who Shebib is.

That's always how commercial music generally works. You've got your singers, and you've got your songwriters, as the singers are often more of the figureheads of the final product while the songwriters are relatively anonymous except to the hardcore community. Rap is really no different.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #362 on: December 19, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
I think Drake has improved lyrically. And like him or not for it, he definitely has his style. Drake's most identifiable characteristic to most people is his "sad/sensitive/emo/passive aggressive rapping."

I also don't have a problem with a killer beat carrying a track. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: December 19, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »
Same here. How else could I enjoy something like "Magna Carta Holy Grail"?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #364 on: December 19, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
Exactly :lol

GO HEAD LEAN ON THAT SHIT BLUE YOU OWN IT UGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: December 19, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
BTW, I don't think Drake's an awful lyricist. In fact, his albums are generally a lot better than his singles and guest tracks. I'm really only familiar with the So Far Gone mixtape (not the EP) and Thank Me Later.  dparrot dude, I wouldn't judge Drake (or any rapper) based solely on radio singles.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #366 on: December 19, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
Dude drake just isn't real hip hop. Let it go.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: December 19, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »
 :lol

This whole discussion has prompted me to listening to Nothing Was The Same again, and I've got to say I'm liking it a bit better.

I can see how Tuscan Leather's kinda an abrasive way to begin a record, but can you really say "The False Awakening Suite" is any better?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #368 on: December 19, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »
I thought Tuscan Leather was ballsy as hell. I like it. I still think NWTS, like Take Care, suffers from being too long. But I still enjoy it a lot.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #369 on: December 19, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
I don't think you can say that the value of production is higher than lyrical skills. I love the musical production in most of Drake's stuff, but I realize that the guy you identify as "Drake" isn't really as responsible for that; at least 50 percent of "Drake" is really credited to his long-term producer, Shebib. Yet everyone loves Drake, and barely anyone knows who Shebib is.

That's always how commercial music generally works. You've got your singers, and you've got your songwriters, as the singers are often more of the figureheads of the final product while the songwriters are relatively anonymous except to the hardcore community. Rap is really no different.

I would extend this to rock as well in recent years.  Singers have gotten worse too IMO.  To put it better: people overlook not-so-great vocals for the music, where several years ago both the vocals and music were good.  Personally, I can't overlook bad vocals whether the music is good or not.

So Shebib writes Drake's lyrics?  He tells Drake to say random sayings instead of consistently saying rhymes in time with the beat?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:44:22 PM by dparrott »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: December 19, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
Eh, to me that's usually a defining characteristic of where the art comes from. Classic rock may have boasted a ton of great singers, but that's because it'd ceased to be a folk art and become a commercial art. The first real "rock stars" who wrote and performed *their own* material for their own new audienced were often not the best singers or musicians (Dylan, anyone?).

Same with rap. Golden Age rap was definitely more like a folk art, right off the streets with no major label support. ...And the music was often simple and rappers atonal. Only as it's become commercialized have we seen that polished up.

I definitely appreciate raw talent. I like polished skill, too. But I can take either. 

And Shebib doesn't write Drakes lyrics, AFAIK. But it'd help if you could point out some of the "random things" you're talking about.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #371 on: December 19, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »

I would extend this to rock as well in recent years.  Singers have gotten worse too IMO.  To put it better: people overlook not-so-great vocals for the music, where several years ago both the vocals and music were good.  Personally, I can't overlook bad vocals whether the music is good or not.
I'd argue it's the opposite.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #372 on: December 19, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »

Good call.  I buzzed out on MCHG when I first heard it but it lost its shine after I realised that after thrashing Yeezus for so long my mind was just subconciously feening for a muhfuckin' backbeat :lol

That's one thing I hate about current hip hop: the value of production is higher than lyrical skills.  It used to be the opposite.  If someone sucked on the mic, it didn't matter what the beat sounded like.

Yeah, I think thats why a lot of the modern rap fans I meet have a hard time getting into classics like Enter the Wu-Tang.  Beats don't go hard but lyricism is way ahead of its time.  People will listen to some awful freaking lyrics and still go HAM if the beat is banging.  Why? Tell them that its human nature. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #373 on: December 19, 2013, 05:53:48 PM »
lol. 40 doesn't write Drake's lyrics. I don't understand what the big deal is with Worst Behavior. It's an angry hype track with a banging beat. I will admit my enjoyment of the song is partially ironic due to how ridiculous it is but if you watch the video and see Drake rapping with a child in his arm and the dumb skit in the middle of the video I think he's in on the joke too.

Offline Captain Reddot

« Reply #374 on: December 20, 2013, 04:25:42 AM »
Bruce Dickinson's my favourite rapper. More tea vicar?
“I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ... I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird.”
― Frank Zappa

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: January 11, 2014, 11:17:20 AM »
Listened to MBDTF couple days ago for the first proper time. Freaking awesome. What should I listen to next?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #376 on: January 11, 2014, 11:27:39 AM »
Listened to MBDTF couple days ago for the first proper time. Freaking awesome. What should I listen to next?

Not sure if serious or trolling, Lolzeez, the hater of Kanye West saying MBDTF is freaking awesome  :lol :lol :lol
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #377 on: January 11, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »
Hey, I hated Kanye West for the longest time until I heard that album. Now it's one of my favorite albums of all time.  :tup
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: January 11, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
I love the Jon Anderson sample.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #379 on: January 11, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »

Just keep listening to that :lol Such a stellar album that I don't see Kanye topping anytime soon.

I freaking just sold my vinyl copy of it too :(

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #380 on: January 11, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »
Bound 2 has been fairly divisive, but I can't get it out of my head.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #381 on: February 26, 2014, 06:44:03 AM »
Holy crap, Kid Cudi just dropped a surprise album. "Sattelitte Flight: Journey To Mother Moon." Having my first listen right now.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #382 on: February 26, 2014, 10:51:30 AM »
Just had a thought: are there any blues/hip-hop fusion songs?  The only one I know is "2 Live Blues" by 2 Live Crew, and it's more singing than rappin.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #383 on: March 01, 2014, 04:57:15 AM »
Anyone here into Action Bronson? Man can that guy go. When I first heard him, I thought it was Ghostface Killah.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #384 on: March 01, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
Anyone here into Action Bronson? Man can that guy go. When I first heard him, I thought it was Ghostface Killah.

Yeah, he's compared to Ghostface quite a bit. Though his verse on 1 Train was dope, I haven't listed to him all that much, although I've been meaning to. Best album to start with?