Author Topic: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread  (Read 90915 times)

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread
« Reply #315 on: September 28, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »
Thoughts on the new Drake? I think about half of it is real good.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #316 on: September 28, 2013, 05:26:29 PM »
Makes a song called Wu-Tang Forver
It's about some chick

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #317 on: September 28, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
Thoughts on the new Drake? I think about half of it is real good.

This is about where I stand on it as well.

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #318 on: September 29, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »
Makes a song called Wu-Tang Forver
It's about some chick

welcome to drake, have a seat please.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: October 09, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
Thoughts on Danny Brown's Old? Pretty solid IMO.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
So Death Grips totally just released a new album without warning.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: November 14, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »
Every time I turn around those guys are releasing something.  Exmilitary is effing awesome.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #322 on: November 14, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
wait, MMLP2 anyone?  Pretty dang assome.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #323 on: November 14, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »
Death Grips transcends hip hop

Offline dparrott

« Reply #324 on: November 15, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »
Death Grips is a perfect example of what's WRONG with hip hop today.  Instead of reciting clever rhymes rhythmically, they're just screaming words that don't even stay in time with the music.  That's not true hip hop to me. 

Too bad, because the music is cool and different.  Have someone like Eminem rap over this music and I'd love it.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »
Death Grips is almost hip hop with a punk attitude. Either way, I don't have any set expectations of what hip hop needs to do. :P Music is music. I like music.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »
Death Grips is a perfect example of what's WRONG with hip hop today.  Instead of reciting clever rhymes rhythmically, they're just screaming words that don't even stay in time with the music.  That's not true hip hop to me. 

Too bad, because the music is cool and different.  Have someone like Eminem rap over this music and I'd love it.

The thing that draws me to hip-hop is clever rhymes, no doubt, but you gotta appreciate a group prepared to push a genre to its extremes, which is what I see Death Grips doing.  You know you're doing something well if Kanye starts ripping you off :P

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
The thing that draws me to hip-hop is the beats and the use of sampled stuff.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
Hey, you should try Death Grips. lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #329 on: November 15, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »

The thing that draws me to hip-hop is clever rhymes, no doubt, but you gotta appreciate a group prepared to push a genre to its extremes, which is what I see Death Grips doing.  You know you're doing something well if Kanye starts ripping you off :P
Yeah, basically this. I mean, I totally understand why some wouldn't like DG as their style is very polarizing, but I think most should at least appreciate their ambition. :)

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #330 on: November 15, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »
Hey, you should try Death Grips. lol

Didn't liked what i've heard by them but i have yet to hear the entire Money Store or Exmilitary.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: November 15, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »
Exmilitary is my favourite. So dark. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: November 15, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »
The Money Store and No Love Deep Web are kinda tied for me. I didn't really even like NLDW at first, but it grew at an insane rate.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2013, 11:23:07 PM »

Yea, I'm all for that, just those results don't usually appeal to me.  Hip-hop seems to be getting further away from its roots.  Where as prog rock has evolved but still has a classic feel to it.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #334 on: November 16, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »

Yea, I'm all for that, just those results don't usually appeal to me.  Hip-hop seems to be getting further away from its roots.  Where as prog rock has evolved but still has a classic feel to it.

Have you listened to:

Dead Prez
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Immortal Technique
Jedi Mind Tricks

These guys still stay true to the roots of what Hip-Hop stands for.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: November 16, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
I think hip hop has suffered from the extreme commercial appeal, and the fact that a lot of rappers aren't that great, but get a lot of radio play, and water down hip hop as a whole. There aren't definitely some really great rappers who still know what's up and are connected to their roots. For example, Kendrick, The Roots (haha), Big Boi, CuDi (even though he doesn't really rap), but they all get drowned out by all of the mediocre stuff out there. At least that's how I see it.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #336 on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
I think hip hop has suffered from the extreme commercial appeal, and the fact that a lot of rappers aren't that great, but get a lot of radio play, and water down hip hop as a whole. There aren't definitely some really great rappers who still know what's up and are connected to their roots. For example, Kendrick, The Roots (haha), Big Boi, CuDi (even though he doesn't really rap), but they all get drowned out by all of the mediocre stuff out there. At least that's how I see it.

I highly recommend Prof. Griffs book The Psychological War Against Hip-Hop. He gives a good insight into why modern commercial hiphop exists.

All those mentioned above are examples of good Hip-Hop artists, that are in the not so underground but well known group.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline dparrott

« Reply #337 on: November 17, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »

Have you listened to:

Dead Prez
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Immortal Technique
Jedi Mind Tricks

These guys still stay true to the roots of what Hip-Hop stands for.

Yea, they're true hip-hop no doubt.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »
New Death Grips is a huge disappointment.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #339 on: November 18, 2013, 10:01:40 AM »
It's not as good as Money Store, but not nearly as boring as some other releases this year, like DT12 or Arcade Fire.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #340 on: November 18, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »
It's pretty damn awesome. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me almost right on the second listen.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #341 on: December 08, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »
I have a question for you rap and hip hop people.   

When I was young, I was all about frustration and hate in most of my music.    Nowadays, I just have a tough time relating to hatred any more.  (Which is why, even though I acknowledge Slayer as still putting out pretty decent music...I just can't get into it any more at all.   I just can no longer relate to that level of hatred)

I'm not much of a rap/hip-hop fan...but I have heard a few bands that I *absolutely LOVE*.   Usually because they have such a positive vibe to them.   For instance.   Probably my favorite rap/hip hop album of all time is the debut from Arrested Development (although, their follow up is sorely underrated as well, IMHO).   It's because that album just makes me feel so good when I hear it. 

Other GROSSLY overlooked hip-hop artists that I have managed to sincerely love and still listen to on a regular basis are P.M. Dawn and to a lesser extent, De La Soul.

My question is...are there any other artists out there that really make a "shtick" out of the happy, positive side of hip hop?    Not cheesy like Will Smith's summer albums...but just really easy going, trippy, hippy, thought provoking and "feel good"???   

I would love to check out some new generation "trip hop" if it's still out there.   Any suggestions?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: December 08, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »
I'm not sure if it counts as 'Trip Hop' but you might like Flying Lotus? Instrumental stuff, real chill though.  MF DOOM is pretty awesome, try the album 'Madvilliany' which is a MF DOOM and Madlib collab, generally just good vibes, awesome beat production and excellent rhymes. Other than that I'm out of ideas lol, someone else might have just the thing you're after. 

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #343 on: December 08, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
I thought of DOOM and Madlib too, albums like Madvillainy or Operation Doomsday.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #344 on: December 08, 2013, 09:39:35 PM »
MF DOOM is not what I was looking for...but it was a shocking surprise.   I absolutely LOVE it.    I'm listening to MM...FOOD? right now, and I'm really digging the experimental vibe to it.   I love it when guys do something totally different.

But when I was asking...I was almost looking for something more along the lines of "the rap version of Spock's Beard/Neal Morse"....not preachy, but really uplifting.  (which is one of the main reasons I *LOVE LOVE LOVE* PM Dawn.)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #345 on: December 08, 2013, 09:57:40 PM »
What about "Common" then?

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #346 on: December 08, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »
Cudi's first record would fit, I think.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #347 on: December 09, 2013, 07:21:20 AM »
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - The Hiest

Offline dparrott

« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2013, 10:41:40 AM »
Check out Afroman at afromanmuzzicc.com.  Non-violent, fun music about low ridin, drinking, smoking, touring. 

Q-Tip and A Tribe Called Quest

Early Fat Boys

Will Smith was a lot better when he was The Fresh Prince.  His pop stuff is stupid.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: December 09, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »
A Tribe Called Quest is a good one. As is The Pharcyde if you want a bit of a humerous side.