Author Topic: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread  (Read 90883 times)

Offline contest_sanity

Re: DTF Rap/Hip Hop thread
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
All you thugs better not be sleeping on Kendrick Lamar's: good kid, m.A.A.d. city.  Conscious concept rap album that covers all kinds of territory.  Lyrics are great and Kendrick is technically amazing as well.  I am actually teaching the album now in my 12th grade Language Arts classes, and my kids are loving it!

m.A.A.d. city

Money Trees

Swimming Pools (Video Single)

FINALLY checked out this record. SO DOPE. This dude is the future of hip-hop.

It really is jaw-dropping, when you take a step back and look at GKMC in its entirety, just what a complex piece of art it is.  He's also put out 2 new videos for a couple of the tracks and says he may put out videos for all the tracks.  After all, he did add "a short film by Kendrick Lamar" to the album title on the side of the cd.

Backseat Freestyle (NSFW)

Poetic Justice

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2013, 03:26:55 PM »
Those are really great. Kendrick looks a little awkward in those, but that really doesn't matter cause how awesome the songs themselves are.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #282 on: February 24, 2013, 09:44:06 PM »
Those are really great. Kendrick looks a little awkward in those, but that really doesn't matter cause how awesome the songs themselves are.

Yeah, sometimes he comes across as awkward.  Maybe not sure what to do with all the fame.  I love how he just stands there while Sherane is twerking for a full minute.  I see all the comments like "why's he just standing there?"  I took it to mean that even in his grandiose boasting,  he knows there's more to life than a hot piece of ass.  But who knows?

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #283 on: February 24, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »

Yeah, sometimes he comes across as awkward.  Maybe not sure what to do with all the fame.  I love how he just stands there while Sherane is twerking for a full minute.  I see all the comments like "why's he just standing there?"  I took it to mean that even in his grandiose boasting,  he knows there's more to life than a hot piece of ass.  But who knows?

I was thinking the same thing.  He seems like a guy who wasn't expecting to be famous.

On a side note, I now know what twerking is. Thank you for that.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
A'ight, got some new recs.

I been bumping some Capital STEEZ:

Free The Robots

2nd verse on Joey Bada$$' Survival Tactics

Both STEEZ and Joey have free mixtapes you can download on datpiff, too.  BTW - Joey will prolly blow up big; STEEZ, on the other hand, committed suicide last year.

RIP STEEZ

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #285 on: April 09, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
Ok you cunning linguists out there.  I for real just recorded my latest single, so please peep it and gimme some holla back:

YAWP

if you are interested in lyrics: https://rapgenius.com/Big-teach-yawp-lyrics

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
New Cudi record out today. I think it's pretty dope. I need to listen to it a few more times before I can really have a good idea about it, but I'm a fan so far.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #287 on: June 22, 2013, 01:25:47 AM »
So Yeezus is pretty awesome...
prog sucks

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2013, 03:13:31 PM »
I thought Yeezus was pretty awful.

The beats are OK, production a bit lazier than what Kanye usually puts out. But lyrically I just can't follow Kanye at all anymore. He's been sliding gradually since the beginning (probably because other people were writing his best stuff on his first two records), but now he's just reached a point of misogony, chauvinism, and arrogance that I just do not feel comfortable listening anymore.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
I thought Yeezus was pretty mediocre/bad.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2013, 07:10:39 PM »
Oh thank god I'm not alone. I don't know what the fuck's up with Yeezus, but I hate it. Everyone's comparing it to MBDTF, and that's one of my favorite albums of all time, but I really don't see the comparison.

I need to give the album another spin or two, but that first one was an absolute nightmare to sit through.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »
I loved it from the get go. It's definitely not as good as MBDTF, but I'm a fan regardless. I can definitely see why people don't like it, though. The lyrics are extremely self-centered and misogynous, but it is a rap album called "Yeezus," so what would you expect? A prance through a meadow? Justin Vernon definitely saves a track or two (definitely I'm in It (DAT HOOK)), and the sample in Blood on the Leaves is pretty offensive, but it's exactly what he was going for. And for the production, he recorded it in his living room in Paris, and admitted it has some of the worst acoustics he's ever had to deal with, so there's only so much that can be done.
prog sucks

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »
Oh thank god I'm not alone. I don't know what the fuck's up with Yeezus, but I hate it. Everyone's comparing it to MBDTF, and that's one of my favorite albums of all time, but I really don't see the comparison.

I need to give the album another spin or two, but that first one was an absolute nightmare to sit through.
from a beat standpoint I think MBDTF was great but lyrically it was definitely another notch down.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2013, 08:37:29 AM »
Started checking out Kendrick Lamar since I'm seeing him at a festival in August. Some really nice stuff, though I need to get more familiar with his two albums.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #294 on: July 02, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
The only good thing about Yeezus was Bound 2, which is an incredible track, only because it is reminiscent of what Kanye once was. Yeezus is basically Cruel Summer pt. 2. It just makes me think what could have been if Kanye had decided to go the more conscious hip hop route instead of this thuggish farce he has put on.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #295 on: July 03, 2013, 12:27:04 AM »
Peep my newest track you thugs!

RG (Rap Genius)

Lyrics if anyone cares:

One day the Lord said unto me:
“Climb this mountain and you know you will see
Lots of Moses' flows as Laws they should heed.
You can take one and become an RG.”

Welcome to the flow-zone, all up in the ozone;
Looking down on clowns: bozo zones, man,
My shine done shown.
I’m always on my game of thrones.
I move in silence like Gs in Gnomes;
My Genome tight, go head and make my clone.
4 times the G like a Galaxy phone;
Dirking on a Kobe, black mamba moans.
I crack every case, you can call me Bones,
And though I whip pastry, it’s more like scones.
Capital hunter, I go at the domes;
I fire at foxes but I’m running on chrome.
My verses be sly, my family stone;
I Ain’t no Beach, though, that’s cologne.
Not to turn you off, but what turns you on?
They all about molly; I be on that polly
Want a cracker, then he had to smack her,
And Kurt Cobain was his own attacker:
Such a frikkin' slacker,
Ethan couldn’t mack her.
Just like you, your raps is wacker, WACKER!!!

One day the Lord said unto me:
“Climb this mountain and you know you will see
Lots of Moses' flows as Laws they should heed.
You can Take one and become an RG.”

Bees on the cage, beez in the trap;
Looking at Yeezus to get my dap.
Sleep on BT, it’s a permanent nap;
Backspacez on keys when they hear my tracks.
I’m running this game like water on tap.
Call me pita cause I’m on the rap;
Better call PETA cause I’m killing these cats,
Or maybe it’s just I’m a Pain In The Apps:
There’s Angry Birds or friends with words.
War ain’t civil, just ask the Kurds.
Wanna know why, go ask the Turks
Why Hannah Montana done got the twerks?
What’s it all worth when we blowing up the earth?
The whole world spun when my momma gave birth.
Call me white thought cause my brain, it hurts
Any other MC trying to dream a verse.
Stop playin' son, ya better call a hearse;
I’m Sling Blade with the pen, and I swang on ‘em first.

Chorus

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: July 03, 2013, 01:07:43 AM »
I've heard some people say Yeezus sounds similar to Death Grips in places. That might make me listen to my first Kanye album. :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: July 19, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
So what do you guys think of Run the Jewels?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #298 on: July 19, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »
I've heard some people say Yeezus sounds similar to Death Grips in places. That might make me listen to my first Kanye album. :P

Dear lord, man. Don't put yourself through that.  :lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #299 on: July 19, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »
Don't listen to the haters. Yeezus is awesome.
prog sucks

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: July 19, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
Don't listen to the haters. Yeezus is awesome.
All I've heard so far is New Slaves on SNL, and I thought it was really cool! I still haven't gotten around to the whole thing, but I will soon.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #301 on: July 19, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »
We're just going to have to agree to disagree, Pat.  :lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: July 19, 2013, 06:07:26 PM »
We're just going to have to agree to disagree, Pat.  :lol

I guess so. I can totally see why someone wouldn't like it, and I'm not surprised that so many people either love it or hate it. It's definitely not for everyone.
prog sucks

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2013, 09:28:56 PM »

Have not heard all of it yet, but what I have heard I loved.  No surprise since their 2012 collab that was Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music was basically my AOTY.

If anybody is interested in the concept of a weirdo white MC who is also a top-shelf producer working alongside the most thoughtfully brutal Southern rapper of recent times, check out Run The Jewels, no doubt.

EDIT:

Lead Single: Get It
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:44:48 PM by contest_sanity »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »

Have not heard all of it yet, but what I have heard I loved.  No surprise since their 2012 collab that was Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music was basically my AOTY.

If anybody is interested in the concept of a weirdo white MC who is also a top-shelf producer working alongside the most thoughtfully brutal Southern rapper of recent times, check out Run The Jewels, no doubt.
Yeah I was a fan of El-P beforehand. It's a really cool album. :)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #305 on: July 23, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »
Hey guys. So I haven't really checked out DTF's opinion on Macklemore. But I'm loving The Heist, I'm taking the time to let in sink in tonight after a few brief listens earlier, and now I'm sitting with my headphones in and just can't get enough of it.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2013, 01:26:01 AM »
I've only heard the two songs everyone knows, but I really do like that Ceiling Can't Hold Us song.

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #307 on: July 25, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
Kanye West's attitude is 100% on purpose. It's like a career-long joke actually. And he plays it so damn well on Yeezus. Black Skinhead and New Slaves are killer tracks, even without the attitude. I've never been this impressed by anything he recorded.

EDIT: I saw people ITT mentioning Kendrick Lamar. I saw him with his live band last week and he was spot on. Great rapper.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #308 on: July 25, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
Hey guys. So I haven't really checked out DTF's opinion on Macklemore. But I'm loving The Heist, I'm taking the time to let in sink in tonight after a few brief listens earlier, and now I'm sitting with my headphones in and just can't get enough of it.

It's an amazing album. Macklemore is singlehandedly responsible for getting me back into Rap lately, and making me check out some of the more tolerable rappers who are making music right now.

I definitely suggest seeking out his earlier stuff as well. Some of it is pretty hard to find, but it's all very solid.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline dparrott

« Reply #309 on: September 18, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »
Glad there's some hip-hop heads on here.  Rap (as it still is to me) was the first full genre of music I got into as a kid, back in the mid 80's (IMO the best era).  And 80-90's artists are practically all I listen to.  I DESPISE most of this new shit.  It's like so far away from what rap used to be to the point where it's not the same music anymore.  And the level of mic skills has dropped tremendously.  "Niggas In Paris" is one of the STUPIDEST songs I have ever heard....and this is from two of the "best" hip-hop artists out now.  My local station KDAY played that song after an 80's rap song, and the difference was night and day in so many ways.

If you all like it, suit yourselves.  But any old school fans like myself should know better.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #310 on: September 18, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
My favorites are Madvillainy, Beat Konducta in India, Spare Time (Damu The Fudgemunk), Special Herbs (all of them), Liquid Swords, Illmatic and MBDTF.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »
I have DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince's Greatest Hits CD in my car.  I also have all of their studio albums and a framed poster in my bedroom from the "He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper" album.

That's what I'm talkin about!  :tup  DJ...Rapper is still awesome to me. 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
The Beastie Boys are wonderful.

Fix'd. I mean honestly, they greatly helped pave the way for the rap genre, especially for white people. Perhaps you listened to all the wrong songs or something because they are amazing.

It's easy to discredit them now because of other artists since then, but when Licensed came out, they were one of the few breakout groups.  To me, they WERE rap back then. 

I can't believe I haven't seen Run-DMC ONCE in this thread!  COME ON!!!  Songs "King Of Rock" and "Tougher Than Leather".  Do it.  Rap-rock when it was GOOD.

Someone on MP's forum got me into Busdriver.  Personality and skill and humor.  Love him.

And IMO Suga Free can rap better than 75% of the artists mentioned on this thread, if not more.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:09:08 AM by dparrott »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2013, 11:13:15 AM »
Busdriver's good!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #314 on: September 27, 2013, 09:43:42 AM »
Steven Pearcy (RATT) and KRS-One: remake of Round & Round.  Almost the same as the original, this just adds the rap verse.

https://www.beatport.com/track/round-and-round-original-mix/452311