Which is the best THEM ?!

Back To The Future.
47 (70.1%)
Back To The Future Part II
14 (20.9%)
Back To The Future Part III
6 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: The Official Back To The Future ˇTrilogy! Thread  (Read 30265 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Official Back To The Future ˇTrilogy! Thread
« Reply #245 on: December 28, 2016, 03:59:59 PM »
Oh, OK.  Misunderstood your point.

But that $40 million would be a lot more in today's dollars, or even compared to the times those other films were produced.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: December 28, 2016, 04:05:24 PM »
I used an inflation calculator online and $40m in 1989 would only be $80m nowadays.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #247 on: December 29, 2016, 08:51:25 AM »
Not as bad as I thought.  Cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: December 29, 2016, 08:59:47 AM »
Something like Star Wars would spend double that just on marketing/promotion.

Online faizoff

« Reply #249 on: December 29, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »
I don't know if blockbuster type movies are cheap to make anymore. Everywhere you look now I'm thinking it has to start at $100 million at a minimum. Then there's marketing etc..
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »
Probably gonna sound cynical but i think every studio wants their summer blockbuster to hit $1bn nowadays.

So they spend a fortune on promo to try and get as many people to see it as possible. It has to be in 3D and PG-13 of course.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2016, 09:20:23 AM »
I wish Hollywood would make more genre movies that don't cost a bazillion dollars to make. I think movies these days are costing so much that they have to play it too safe, with everything needing to be PG-13 with compromises to appeal to the global market (ie China), just to turn a profit at all. If there was less financial risk, they could take more creative risk, and develop new franchises that stand out, instead of having to bank on reboots and sequels.
But I digress.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »
I wish Hollywood would make more genre movies that don't cost a bazillion dollars to make. I think movies these days are costing so much that they have to play it too safe, with everything needing to be PG-13 with compromises to appeal to the global market (ie China), just to turn a profit at all. If there was less financial risk, they could take more creative risk, and develop new franchises that stand out, instead of having to bank on reboots and sequels.
But I digress.

Maybe Star Trek Beyond underperforming will cause Star trek 4 to be made cheaper and they won't have to make *as much* back...

Or better yet - Spend $80m on it like you used to in the 80s. Focus on plot and spend the same on promotion and if you make $350m - you've made a much bigger profit...

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2017, 04:18:01 AM »
It's scary to think BttF is now older than it's premise of travelling back in time 30 years (we are now 32 years since BttF was released).

Great film, but didn't enjoy the sequels anywhere near as much.  The whole idea of M.J.Fox playing all his ancestors past and future (apart from his Dad) was silly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2017, 04:43:34 AM »
Yeah imagine a silly premise in a time travel comedy.

I mean what the fuck.

::) who wrote this shit ?

Damon Lindelof ?

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2017, 06:21:04 AM »
Yeah imagine a silly premise in a time travel comedy.

I mean what the fuck.

::) who wrote this shit ?

Damon Lindelof ?

Yeah but it's undoing it's own rules set in the first movie where his own Dad is Crispin Glover (someone who looks completely different).  If he's been played by Fox in the first movie then maybe it'd have been passable that all his family tree looked the same, due to some some sort of hideous inbreeding that had wiped the Mcfly gene pool clean of an variety!   

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: January 11, 2017, 06:30:37 AM »
It's not undoing anything, nor are there any rules. It's reusing actors to play different generations as a bit of fun. The movies never presented themselves as serious science fiction, they're just fun light movies. Yeah, Maggie McFly looking the same as Lorraine was a little disturbing, but it's not supposed to be analyzed seriously. :lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #257 on: January 11, 2017, 06:55:20 AM »
The actors and actresses carrying different roles between the films is one of my favorite things about the BTTF franchise. It makes it fun, IMO.

It's not like it's anything new.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #258 on: January 11, 2017, 07:11:02 AM »
First time I saw Coming to America, I never realized that any of those other characters were Eddie Murphy.  It's obvious once it's pointed out (except maybe the white Jewish guy), but since I wasn't looking for it, it just flew past me.

Eddie and Arsenio each play four characters in that movie.  The only one I caught was Arsenio as the trans chick in the bar who wanted to "eat your friend alive" causing Arsenio (as Semmi) to spit his drink out.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2017, 07:13:39 AM »
I didn't realize for a while that Michael J Fox was also playing his own daughter in BTTF2. I just never paid much attention, since she's a minor character, but it's a funny little addition.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2017, 07:26:12 AM »

It's not like it's anything new.

/Pedantic Mode (because i'm being picked on  ;D).  Apart from the fact BttF was made three years before Coming to America.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #261 on: January 11, 2017, 07:54:41 AM »
First time I saw Coming to America, I never realized that any of those other characters were Eddie Murphy.  It's obvious once it's pointed out (except maybe the white Jewish guy), but since I wasn't looking for it, it just flew past me.

Eddie and Arsenio each play four characters in that movie.  The only one I caught was Arsenio as the trans chick in the bar who wanted to "eat your friend alive" causing Arsenio (as Semmi) to spit his drink out.

Arsenio was one of the other barbers and also played Reverend Brown (guy who introduced Sexual Chocolate).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #262 on: January 11, 2017, 08:47:08 AM »
I agree that the sequels are lesser films, and Michael J Fox as those other characters certainly doesn't help them. 

And the comparison with Coming to America isn't really valid.  Eddie Murphy (and, to a lesser extent, Arsenio Hall), were all wearing makeup and playing completely different, unrelated characters (indeed, Orbert couldn't even tell).  Not the case with the BTTF sequels.

The first BTTF is magical, and one of my favorite films.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #263 on: January 11, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »
Now that I think about it, I remember recognizing Arsenio's character in the barber shop as being Arsenio.  I thought it was a different twist that he would be doing that, and not Eddie.  Turns out Eddie actually had two characters in the barber shop, neither of which I realized was him.

MJF playing Seamus McFly in the Old West was kinda fun.  Marty may not look a lot like his dad, but genetics can be wacky, and it's not unheard-of for people resemble an ancestor from way back.  MJF playing Marty's daughter in the future was just weird.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »
Maybe - If Crispin Glover hadn't been a greedy prick and accepted a co-star fee instead of trying to get paid the same or more than MJF - he coulda been in 2 & 3 as Marty's relatives.

As I understand it - for some reason he imagined George McFly was the lead character in BTTF 1 and wanted a lead actors paycheque for part 2.

They refused and killed off his character.

Such a shame when people get egotistical like that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #265 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:23 AM »
Crispin Glover's version of the story (which granted may be completely delusional) is that he didn't want to be in the sequels, but they kept after him because of course it always helps if you can get more of the original cast back.  He finally said he'd do it, but named a ridiculous amount of money.  So they recast the character.

Zemekis and Co's version is that he asked for an amount which was not "appropriate" for the role, so they recast the character.

These two versions aren't really contradictory, just the motives behind the actions.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: January 11, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »
Crispin Glover's version of the story (which granted may be completely delusional) is that he didn't want to be in the sequels, but they kept after him because of course it always helps if you can get more of the original cast back.  He finally said he'd do it, but named a ridiculous amount of money.  So they recast the character.

Zemekis and Co's version is that he asked for an amount which was not "appropriate" for the role, so they recast the character.

These two versions aren't really contradictory, just the motives behind the actions.

I've heard that CG thought he was the star of the first film so shoulda been paid more.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #267 on: January 11, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
Well, again, that's what others have said.  I read Crispin's account first-hand.  I seem to think it was on his own website, but it might have been on another, but it was written by him.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: January 11, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
Well if everyone is saying one thing and HE is saying something else - it may be to save face.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #269 on: January 11, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
True, which is why I allowed that he might just be delusional.  But it could also be that he just didn't want to do it and said "Fine, I'll do it for 2 million dollars" and they went "This guy thinks he's the fucking star of the movie!" and that's the story that has stuck and been passed around for ages.

I've never read or heard anything from Glover himself saying that he thought he was the star, only lots of people saying he thought he was the star, with nothing to back that up other than his salary demand.  I have read what I think is a pretty good explanation for asking for that kind of money just to get them off his back, written by the man himself.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #270 on: January 11, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
True, which is why I allowed that he might just be delusional.  But it could also be that he just didn't want to do it and said "Fine, I'll do it for 2 million dollars" and they went "This guy thinks he's the fucking star of the movie!" and that's the story that has stuck and been passed around for ages.

I remember reading that Jaye Davidson really didn't want to do Stargate, so he asked for a million dollars, assuming they'd say no. They said yes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #271 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
That's what I mean.  I've read a couple of things out there that point to Crispin Glover being on the neurotic side, so who knows, but nothing that points to him being so demented that he equates five minutes of screen time to being the star of a movie when he knows he's actually 4th-billed behind three stars who were red hot at the time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: January 11, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »
I recall something about him having issues with the ending of BTTF1, with Marty being rewarded with monetary gain for his troubles, rather than just the happiness of reuniting his parents being enough. It's not inconceivable he wanted out and threw a big number at them. It's also not inconceivable he was a bit of a nutbar and thought he was worth a lot of money. Maybe a bit of both. Who knows.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »
Yeah I recall that - he thought getting his family back together shoulda been enough but he got a big truck too.

It was smack bing in the middle of THE EIGHTIES. The most material decade ever :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
I don't know what you base that on. I'd say society has only continued to become increasingly materialistic over time.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: May 11, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2022, 07:04:48 AM »
I got shipped some granite filament by mistake and put it good use!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2022, 07:43:08 AM »
:clap:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2022, 08:17:14 AM »
Well played, Brian.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2022, 09:01:04 AM »
Nice work! Been too long since I've watched the trilogy.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan