Which is the best THEM ?!

Back To The Future.
47 (70.1%)
Back To The Future Part II
14 (20.9%)
Back To The Future Part III
6 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: The Official Back To The Future ĦTrilogy! Thread  (Read 30497 times)

Online faizoff

Re: The Official Back To The Future ĦTrilogy! Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2016, 12:22:04 PM »
Very cool, I still don't have this on bluray. Will have to rectify it asap.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2016, 12:29:18 PM »
I picked up the DVD box years ago, when it first came out.  I love those movies, but I don't know if I actually watch them often enough to warrant the Blu-ray box.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
I saw this for £10 on Amazon and it's 4 discs including new bonus stuff ( Doc Brown Saves The World ) So I snapped it up and gave my DVD boxset to my 12 yr old brother for xmas  :coolio .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2016, 01:10:00 PM »
Oh dear it has 2 episodes of the Animated Series on there...

Oh dear it's terrible. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #214 on: December 22, 2016, 06:40:17 PM »
Nice, Kotow. :tup I haven't got a Bluray drive/player yet, or else that would definitely be the very first BR I got. I have the first DVD boxset in the black case. I think the blue boxset they released after that had an extra disc of bonus stuff. I do have the 1080p rip of BTTF2 on my computer though. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2016, 02:23:38 AM »
This'll probably be the last time I buy it :P

There won't be a physical format which succeeds Blu Ray. Everyone will be all online by then. Shame!

[/trump]

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2016, 02:24:44 AM »
This'll probably be the last time I buy it :P

There won't be a physical format which succeeds Blu Ray. Everyone will be all online by then. Shame!

[/trump]

Does that Ultra 4K thing count?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2016, 06:23:32 AM »
It does but how many people keep up with the technology that comes out every few years?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2016, 07:53:28 AM »
Just watched the trilogy again for the first time in years. Still a great group of films though the third is easily my least favorite.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2016, 08:47:05 AM »
It does but how many people keep up with the technology that comes out every few years?

Indeed.  I'm still surprised sometimes when people say that they don't have Blu-ray yet.  I'm on my second Blu-ray player, my first one lasted over five years, and I was one of the last people I knew who got one.  TVs are all HD now except for the Super HD or whatever it's called.  Wouldn't you want to watch movies at home which took advantage of that?

Online faizoff

« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2016, 09:03:16 AM »

Currently the 4K Ultra HD format is the successor to the conventional blu-ray disc. Even though both are referred to as blu-ray, they require separate hardware to play. I don't know what will happen as far as popularity goes but I'm quite positive physical formats aren't going anywhere soon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: December 23, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »
I hope we never see the end of Physical Releases altogether.

Maybe VHS will have a renaissance like Vinyl has done and be more popular than ever !

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #222 on: December 23, 2016, 09:09:26 AM »

Indeed.  I'm still surprised sometimes when people say that they don't have Blu-ray yet.  I'm on my second Blu-ray player, my first one lasted over five years, and I was one of the last people I knew who got one.  TVs are all HD now except for the Super HD or whatever it's called.  Wouldn't you want to watch movies at home which took advantage of that?

I think we as consumers have to wait to let certain formats play out.  Remember the HD Disks vs. Blu Ray's?  When Disney tipped the scale going to Blu- Ray that killed the other format.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: December 23, 2016, 09:10:03 AM »
I don't get why people always dislike the third film.

It's not quite as awesome as the original but there's no huge drop-off in quality from 2.

I really really hate Westerns but I love the third film more than the second.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #224 on: December 23, 2016, 09:43:28 AM »
Seeing this thread bumped is a good occasion as any to show Tom Wilson's song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmjYimspW-4

Tom Wilson is the guy who played Biff Tannen, he went on to be a comedian, and since he's always being asked the same question, he actually brings a printed paper of FAQ with him to hand to people, and he eventually turned it into a song. It's wonderful  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: December 23, 2016, 10:21:22 AM »
Tom Wilson is the guy who played Biff Tannen, he went on to be a comedian
And let's not forget his stunning performance in the Wing Commander series with Mark Hamill! :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #226 on: December 23, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
I don't get why people always dislike the third film.

It's not quite as awesome as the original but there's no huge drop-off in quality from 2.

I really really hate Westerns but I love the third film more than the second.

Just to be clear I don't dislike the third film, I just like it less than the other two.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
The future stuff knocks Part 2 down a bit for me.

Online faizoff

« Reply #228 on: December 23, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »
I'd rank the 3rd movie just a tiny notch below the first one. Those two movie are extremely enjoyable to watch and I have no idea how hated or liked the 3rd one is but I think it's a great conclusion to the series and stands on its own when compared to the first one.
The second movie is also a fantastic movie and I think where people have trouble is, with formulating an identity due to the movie taking place in several timelines and then it switches back and forth a few times. It can get a little messy in trying to keep it straight whereas the other two movies pretty much occur in one place throughout.

Man I need to watch these movies again.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #229 on: December 23, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »
I love all three.  I might even like the second one the best, because I think it's great the way they tie things back to the original, showing the same scenes from a different point of view, and we the viewers having more knowledge of what's really going on.

I think we as consumers have to wait to let certain formats play out.  Remember the HD Disks vs. Blu Ray's?  When Disney tipped the scale going to Blu- Ray that killed the other format.

I get that, but that means Blu-ray is not going away and is the standard for video in the home theater market, has been for several years.  What are people waiting for?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »
Personally, I've never noticed a difference in quality between a DVD and a Blu-ray, so there's no incentive for me to pay the extra five bucks or whatever per movie.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
Personally, I've never noticed a difference in quality between a DVD and a Blu-ray, so there's no incentive for me to pay the extra five bucks or whatever per movie.

I think a lot of it depends on the quality/size of your tv. The difference is huge on a 54 inch or whatever but not notcable as much on a 40 inch. That kind of thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »

only now - studios shove the lion's share of special features on Blu rays so they sell more.

Online faizoff

« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »

only now - studios shove the lion's share of special features on Blu rays so they sell more.
That's one of the reasons. Some others being that the features they shoot in HD can't be shown as such on the DVD. Plus the BR disc itself has way more capacity. It can store up to 50GB for a regular bluray and I think upwards of 100GB on a 4K UHD bluray disc. The highest a DVD can hold is less than 8GB.

Blurays also offer other options like interacting with the menu without stopping what you're watching(though this has not been adequately utilized I feel).
 BD-Live is another feature, though I dont care for it and again poorly implemented, where content providers can provide new content on a regular basis.

Like Adami mentioned, it can depend on what display you watch but if you don't notice a difference it's probably also because you don't care for the difference. There is definitely a HUGE difference between the formats of DVD and Bluray. I can get behind not noticing the difference between bluray and 4k UHD bluray but not the previous one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
There's a huge difference between DVD and Bluray quality even on a smaller screen, I've never bothered to upgrade because for the most part I don't care enough to spend the extra money for the gain at this point. I just want to watch the stuff. Very few people have the equipment to showcase 4K though, and you'd need a big screen to notice the benefit over 1080p. I think by the time 4K becomes standard, the physical formats will be mostly dead anyway.

I love all three BTTF movies too, but 3 has always been my least favourite (not a huge drop-off, just a little less than the perfection of the first two). I appreciate it more and more over time, but the setting and story don't appeal to me quite as much as the setting of the other movies. It's still a damn near perfect trilogy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2016, 08:34:03 PM »
3 takes a while to really get going (although it was all necessary to the storyline), but once Marty meets Mad Dog in that saloon, it's nothing but awesomeness till the end.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
I used to think all the clocks in Doc's house at the start were on five minutes to eight.

IN 24 hour clock that would be 19:55.

FORESHADOooowwwiiingnggggGGG....

But they're not :biggrin:

Incidentally - 1.21 Gigawatts ? October 21 ? Was October 21 exactly 30 years later ? I always wonder why they chose those two numbers.

The film was released on July 3rd.   7*3 = 21 :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #237 on: December 24, 2016, 02:09:38 PM »
There's all very interesting, yes yes, but right now I think we should take a moment to appreciate how hot Lea Thompson was in a 50's kind of way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: December 28, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »

Is there supposed to be a point to Biff having his hotel in 1985A built on the clock tower ?

Or is it just one of those ironic things that the clock tower is always relevant to each film ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: December 28, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
It's a good way to show his power. Not only is his tower smack bang in the middle of town showing that he owns the place, but it's also fitting that he's taken over the town's courthouse. Just the location alone shows how corrupt and powerful he is. Never given it much thought before now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: December 28, 2016, 11:06:20 AM »
Either I forgot or I only noticed it recently.

I love that there is SO much in these films hidden away.

I've been a fan since the first film came out and I thought I knew everything about them but I still notice new things.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: December 28, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
There's always something new to discover. There's so much detail in there that doesn't even show up in the movies, and is only appreciated from behind the scenes stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: December 28, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
There's always something new to discover. There's so much detail in there that doesn't even show up in the movies, and is only appreciated from behind the scenes stuff.

Somethings I didn't understand til i got the DVD and could turn on subtitles.

Until i got the 25th Anniversary DVD - I never knew what Biff said when he says " Two McFlys with the same gun ".

Never knew what he said :lol

Also it wouldn't happen these days but Part 2 and 3 were made as one massive film for $40m total.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #243 on: December 28, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
Also it wouldn't happen these days but Part 2 and 3 were made as one massive film for $40m total.

It happens more now than it used to.

The 3 Lord of the Rings films all filmed as one production.  Pretty sure that the Hobbit films did too.

Matrix 2 & 3 filmed together, as did Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3.

Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers 4 (still untitled) are currently filming together as well.

I know there have been some other examples as well, but they escape me for the moment.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: December 28, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »
i mean two massive hollywood movies costing only $40m in total.

All those movies you mentioned probably cost $150m each.