Author Topic: UNCHARTED - trailer inside  (Read 3359 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
UNCHARTED - trailer inside
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:04:19 AM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: UNCHARTED - trailer inside
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:10:31 AM »
Looks fun!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 10:06:13 AM »
Looks like a bit of a rip off of the National Treasure movies, but that's not necessarily a bad thing because I really enjoy those movies.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 11:08:41 AM »
I'm in
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 12:33:42 PM »
This looks like it will be fun! Haven't played the games so I won't be coming into it slightly biased.

On a sidenote, Tom Holland looks like one of those guys who will look 16 forever.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 06:19:19 AM »
This looks awful.  Wahlberg as Sully?? I rolled my eyes when it was announced, and seeing it in the trailer just confirmed that it just doesn't fit.  Holland looks like he's giving it a good effort, but is completely unconvincing as Nathan Drake (imo).  And why put parts of the storyline from all four games into 1 movie?

Have any of ya'll actually played the franchise?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 06:11:41 PM »
This looks awful.  Wahlberg as Sully?? I rolled my eyes when it was announced, and seeing it in the trailer just confirmed that it just doesn't fit.  Holland looks like he's giving it a good effort, but is completely unconvincing as Nathan Drake (imo).  And why put parts of the storyline from all four games into 1 movie?

I still need to finish 4. Just haven't felt like playing video games in a long while. Mark Wahlberg is a terrible choice for Sully, but Tom kinda works as young Nathan Drake. He has the charisma and comedic timing (the scene with the scottish guy is great), but Nathan Fillion is really the only right choice for this character. Sully can be recast from the short film though, but that guy played the part well enough. We probably will never get a feature film Uncharted with Fillion as the character.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 07:47:56 PM »

I still need to finish 4. Just haven't felt like playing video games in a long while. Mark Wahlberg is a terrible choice for Sully, but Tom kinda works as young Nathan Drake. He has the charisma and comedic timing (the scene with the scottish guy is great), but Nathan Fillion is really the only right choice for this character. Sully can be recast from the short film though, but that guy played the part well enough. We probably will never get a feature film Uncharted with Fillion as the character.

Right?!?!?!  Fillion in that short is the absolute personification of Nathan Drake.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 05:07:55 AM »
I get that they wanted to go for a young Drake. Nathan at this point is a post-Uncharted 4 Drake.

I think the trailer looks solid. I don't get real Uncharted vibes, but I enjoy these types of films. I wonder if they will go for supernatural elements, which became less of a thing as the game series went on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 07:31:24 AM »

I have the first three ready to play, I just haven't gotten to them yet.  Maybe when the weather turns colder.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 09:12:58 AM »

I have the first three ready to play, I just haven't gotten to them yet.  Maybe when the weather turns colder.

First one is a bit wonky. Entertaining and worth trying for a bit to see how you enjoy it, but not necessarily an indicator for your enjoyment of 2 onwards. These games (1-3) are around 8-10 hours long and can be enjoyed in shorter sessions btw.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 09:29:41 AM »
1 was awesome for the time it was released.  2 is the best them (imo).  3 is a very close second, and 4 was more of the same - take-it-or-leave-it, but still really good.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 09:50:37 AM »
I thought the trailer looked great.  But, I don't play videogames, so I am not at all concerned with how well the movie conforms to the source material.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 09:56:11 AM »
I thought the trailer looked great.  But, I don't play videogames, so I am not at all concerned with how well the movie conforms to the source material.

Same.  It's like when people whine about movies straying from books on which they're based (e.g., casting Denzel Washington to play Gray Grantham in the Pelican Brief despite the character in the book being a white guy).

My kid played one or two of these games, and I occasionally watched him play, but I've never played them myself.  Has there ever been a GOOD movie adaptation of a video game?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 07:33:01 AM »

Same.  It's like when people whine about movies straying from books on which they're based (e.g., casting Denzel Washington to play Gray Grantham in the Pelican Brief despite the character in the book being a white guy).

My kid played one or two of these games, and I occasionally watched him play, but I've never played them myself.  Has there ever been a GOOD movie adaptation of a video game?

Detective Pikachu?  I've heard that the latest Tomb Raider movie was pretty good, but I haven't seen it.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 11:56:36 PM »
Not thrilled about the casting choices, but it looks fun.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 05:29:46 AM »
Fillion would have worked 15 years ago, but now he's to old (and he's aged quite badly, basically looks like Steve Zahn now) - maybe he could have been Sully.  Hollard has years on his side, if the film/franchise is a success he can play and age in the role for years to come.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2021, 01:25:50 PM »
Fillion would have worked 15 years ago, but now he's to old (and he's aged quite badly, basically looks like Steve Zahn now) - maybe he could have been Sully.  Hollard has years on his side, if the film/franchise is a success he can play and age in the role for years to come.

I don't disagree much with the first part, but Holland does not seem like a good fit.  Considering he's most famously known for being a 14-16 year old kid (not his fault for having that be the role that's made him a household name), shifting him to a mid/late-20s character that has had a colorful past and experiences seems hard to swallow.  Again, none of this is his fault, it's a me (and many other fans of the games I'm sure) thing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2022, 01:17:19 AM »
As no one's commented on this, I saw it over the weekend - it's OK, a 6/10 film, there is enough there to create a franchise, just need to tighten up the script somewhat.  I guess it depends if they can get Tom to sign up for more films, as he's an actor in demand.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2022, 06:25:26 AM »
I'm not even sure I'll look to watch this when it comes to whatever streaming platform it releases on.  Wholly uninterested.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2022, 07:23:03 AM »
I'm not even sure I'll look to watch this when it comes to whatever streaming platform it releases on.  Wholly uninterested.

In terms of action adventure the borrows from Indy it was better than both Red Notice and Jungle Cruise.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2022, 09:48:35 AM »

In terms of action adventure the borrows from Indy it was better than both Red Notice and Jungle Cruise.

I made it all the way through both of those movies, but it was painful to do so.  Still...I'll probably go see this movie.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2022, 11:22:02 AM »

I made it all the way through both of those movies, but it was painful to do so.  Still...I'll probably go see this movie.

Jungle Cruise was fine for what it was, and pretty entertaining, but Red Notice was garbage, and made me question Ryan Reynolds' talent.