Author Topic: You have Just Won £/$20m  (Read 3410 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: You have Just Won £/$20m
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
 20 million...

I'd buy a house. Take a month or two to travel and what not, and then go to school
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 12:52:28 AM »
Wb Deb. Good to see you didn't die.

Ain't my time yet, bub. :laugh:

Wait... you KNOW I didn't die, I comment on Jackie's FB updates after you sometimes.  Silly mang. :lol

Debbie Does DTF!
 :panicattack:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 02:00:45 AM »
Buy a house, buy a car (nothing fancy), do some nice travelling, buy some nice guitars and amps, buy a better PC, buy tons of CDs (:D), help out my friends and family, maybe donate something.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 02:31:15 AM »
I would probably spend some right away (though not more than 5m), and then try to save/spread out the rest over a couple of years.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 02:37:42 AM »
I'd build a recording studio, and get a bunch of sweet gear, find a way to invest in a local pizza place so I could get all the pizza I wanted whenever I wanted, give my parents a whole bunch of it for helping me out so much, and then probably just keep living the way I've been living. Maybe be a little more outgoing, but not too much change. I'd also go to a better college now that I would be able to afford it.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 02:52:52 AM »
Nice house, nice car, few guitars etc. I'd take the kids on a huge "yes you can have anything you want" shopping spree. Set up trust funds etc.

Pay of debts etc. Then I'd chalk myself up say £70k a year to live on (probably wouldn't need that much but most people live right at the edge of their means!) then stick the rest on an investment platform with a nice safe spread of assets and watch it grow ahead of inflation which is all you really need.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »
As I am nearer to this point than I'm happy to admit (and I have absolutely no retirement funds in any way), I would first ensure a comfortable retirement for the rest of my life - commencing immediately.  :)  I would buy a nice condo; I am not interested in yard work or outside maintenance and since I'm on my own, a lot of space isn't a requirement.  But I'd rather have the tax benefit of owning rather than throwing money away renting, which I'm doing now.  I'd also buy a nice car Tesla or Audi.  All this at cash; I refuse to have "payments" any more!   :tdwn

I'd have a personal trainer/nutritionist keep after me so that I work out and take care of myself properly.  I would pay off my debts (currently below $5k, so that's not bad) and ensure my son was set up well enough so that while he would still need to work -- young men need to work -- he wouldn't have to worry during downtimes and he'd have the flexibility to do what he wanted in life.  I'd make sure my parents and siblings were set up properly, as well.  One brother has a large family (with two in college and another off in about two years) and I wish I could help him more.  I would donate a significant portion to personal charities.

My job is okay but it's always just been one to have money and benefits; it's not a "love" and I wouldn't mind not doing it anymore.  Instead, I'd fill my time with travel as often as possible (and be able to afford the stinking SINGLE SUPPLEMENT!!!   :censored ).  There are so many places on this Earth that I've wanted to see and I'd love to be able to have a holiday that didn't involve sweating every penny and knowing I'd have to get back to work more tired than when I left.  Along with that would be an indulgence in my hobby of photography.

I would indulge my love of the arts.  I'd go wherever I wanted to see whatever concert, festival, theatre performance, opera, etc. appealed to me.  I'd have an excellent home theatre set up.  I'd support local artists by purchasing and contributing so they could continue their work.  I think I'd also buy a horse.  I've always loved to ride and have never been able to as much as I'd like (it's an expensive hobby).  I'd board him at a local stable and enjoy that hobby like a mad man!  More fun than a dog.  :tup

I can barely imagine the lightening of stress not living paycheck to paycheck.  It's a fine fantasy.  :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 09:11:52 PM »
donate a smart amount, pay off debts for myself/family, build a house with a recording studio and a regulation table tennis room, finance my music career, invest in some violins and cellos (with my dad's expertise, this is infinitely better than any other market), and put the rest away to save for whatever comes up and gain interest.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 02:12:50 AM »
Buy house, build studio in it. Get hifi working, buy stuff for friends and family (and buy myself a stingray 5). Visit friend in China, return to work happy that I wasn't going to spend more that I had any time soon.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »
  • Custom designed mancave in the PNW. Nothing above ground but a big-ass jacuzzi and a garage.
  • Begin training of ultimate Russian female badass. Skills to include cooking, cleaning, high-level combat, advanced driving, and of course all the naughty stuff. Should take at a minimum 2-3 years.
  • Travel to Europe while mancave is constructed. In the process purchase custom M3 at BMW Welt. I'd be bad ass and completely unique for the US. It gets shipped home later.
  • Purchase big-ass Cadillac convertible and some kind of small trailer; Airstream or some kind of tear drop. Use that to explore these 48 states. Big enough to also carry BMW touring bike; Neil Peart is my hero in this regard.
  • After a couple of years exploring, settle into the mancave and get enrolled in college. So much more I'd like to learn.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 10:37:23 AM »
Oohooh - talking about custom designed stuffs -

I would absolutely get Gibson to make a Les Paul custom exactly how I want it.

namely - A Silverburst  Les Paul Supreme with the EMG Het Set in & maybe get Blackstar to do me a series1 200 watt stack also in silverburst :drool

I'd also get a Desert Burst Les Paul Supreme as those things are GORGEOUS.

Finally a Silverburst Les Paul Custom Florentine. :) :)

Frankly - i'd be too scared of spending it all and i'd try to be careful. .

** just noticed that the URL of that pic is dave's guitar :lol . IT WILL BE MINE.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 03:42:30 AM »
:o

Are the f-holes fake or is that really a Les Paul with a hollow body?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 05:31:58 AM »
It's a genuinely hollow Les Paul.

it's not an Ibanez Jem :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2013, 06:02:03 AM »
Jems don't have fake f-holes either :P

But they also don't have real ones.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2013, 06:03:44 AM »

:P lame ^

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2013, 06:06:02 AM »
Isn't that the Paul Gilbert signature (and not a jem)?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2013, 06:07:03 AM »
Dunno. I don't like any Jems.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2013, 06:08:38 AM »
Just looked it up. Yep, it's the PG one, not the jem.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2013, 06:09:34 AM »
I deffo don't like the Ibanez Fireman. It's so ugly.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2013, 06:13:20 AM »
Ibanez do some great guitars though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2013, 06:15:42 AM »
Indeed ! I had an ARC300 which was fantastically good for the price.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2013, 06:51:39 AM »
Buy a house, go to school, send my wife to grad school, pay off both of our parent's houses/debts. Maybe buy a few things (new car, computer etc.) and then put the rest in fairly conservative investments.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2013, 07:26:47 AM »
I would buy lots of CDs, travel to different countries and buy some instruments and good recording equipment to record an album all by myself. I'd also give some of the money to my family members and friends and donate something to charity.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
I would definitely live comfortably. When you win a large amount of cash like that, the absolutely worst thing to do is to go out and spend all of it or most of it and then you could get into financial trouble. You want to essentially continue whatever you're doing with you current job (unless you really dislike it) and just use the money as a way to live comfortably. Personally, I've grown up in an upper-middle class home and I'm fairly comfortable with the way my parents raised me and the way I currently live on my own. I like my job and what not, so I would just keep doing what I do, continue to live comfortably, and maybe buy myself something nice every once in a while.*

* - And when I mean nice, I'm not talking expensive nice. I'm a person who doesn't like to be the absolute center of attention, so getting a mansion or a sportscar is not something I would like to do. Maybe a brand new car or a nice single or double story home would be more like what I'm thinking when it comes to that.

Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »
Buy my parents and myself a house, make certain that my handicapped nephew doesn't want for anything for the rest of his life, and then buy another house just to keep all the books I'm about to buy.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
I would definitely live comfortably. When you win a large amount of cash like that, the absolutely worst thing to do is to go out and spend all of it or most of it and then you could get into financial trouble. You want to essentially continue whatever you're doing with you current job (unless you really dislike it) and just use the money as a way to live comfortably. Personally, I've grown up in an upper-middle class home and I'm fairly comfortable with the way my parents raised me and the way I currently live on my own. I like my job and what not, so I would just keep doing what I do, continue to live comfortably, and maybe buy myself something nice every once in a while.*

* - And when I mean nice, I'm not talking expensive nice. I'm a person who doesn't like to be the absolute center of attention, so getting a mansion or a sportscar is not something I would like to do. Maybe a brand new car or a nice single or double story home would be more like what I'm thinking when it comes to that.

This. i'd be happy with a decent house. The only thing i would pay extra for is nice food. I'd be too scared of going overboard and blowing it all.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »
I'd buy a family-sized condo to house me and a few select friends, a new Hummer, and splurge a few thousand on some new clothes/accessories for the new house. Then, I would invest approximately $10 mil on various investments and stocks, set aside $4 mil to pay for school/live until I finish school (putting the rest in an account with HIGH interest), after which I will enter the political arena with the funding I've gained from my investments, also investing in non-profit humanitarian organizations along the way. Basically, I'd use my lottery money as a platform for a political career.

You could say I've thought about this a lot.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »

This. i'd be happy with a decent house. The only thing i would pay extra for is nice food. I'd be too scared of going overboard and blowing it all.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin