Author Topic: What would it take for you to purchase the deluxe or box set of a new DT album?  (Read 12711 times)

Offline 425

I just can't justify to myself a decision to spend $100 on an album, so the box set is right out.

With most albums I buy the deluxe edition if it is readily available at a reasonable price (for this I think anything <$25 would be more than reasonable, so the price on this is good) and if I feel like the bonus content is something I'd be at all interested in. With SC and ADTOE, I was interested in seeing the documentaries, and with BC&SL, I was interested in hearing the covers. But I don't have a 5.1 system. I have no plans to get a 5.1 system. So I will be buying the standard.

So, the simple answer is that I'm not buying the box set unless it includes like a number of exclusive songs or something. I would buy the deluxe edition if it had something I even thought I might use. Basically the only reason I'm not is because I actually cannot use in any way that makes sense a 5.1 mix. If it had a bonus CD with pretty much anything DT on it (including 80 minutes of John Myung scat singing) or a bonus DVD with something that I could watch that did not require a system I don't have to gain anything from it (like a documentary), I would buy it.

Just to be clear, though the 5.1 mix is the reason I'm not buying the deluxe edition, I'm definitely not complaining about it. I think it's cool that they make that available to people who have such a system. This is just an instance of me looking at something, seeing that it isn't for me, and deciding to save money by buying a standard edition. I'm not angry with the band about this decision at all, I'm just making my own decision about what to buy based on the way things are.

Plus I'd rather have a jewel case than a digipack.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ProgressiveIce

80 minutes of John Myung scat singing

:lol

Offline dparrott

The album on clear or colored vinyl (not just a 7")
Stems of all songs
"making of" DVD or live studio performances
Some exclusive content (rehearsals, demos, alt versions, etc)
Not a 5.1 mix as I don't have the setup
I'd also love a t-shirt, but what size would it be?  One size cannot fit all.  Maybe a free shirt ordered online.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Ħ

The only things I actually want in the box set are the Mangini songs and the DVD. But it's not worth the price.

I do have a 5.1 setup so the deluxe is worth it for me, especially since it sounds like the stereo mix wasn't all that based on TEI. But the Systematic Chaos 5.1 was kinda lame. So it really might not be worth it. I do prefer the digibook to jewel case also. So it's gonna be deluxe for me.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
It would take individual tracks for all instruments. Not just stems, the whole thing. I'm an engineer, so I could have a lot of fun with that - especially since I don't really like any of the mixes on DT's recent albums.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
It would take individual tracks for all instruments. Not just stems, the whole thing. I'm an engineer, so I could have a lot of fun with that - especially since I don't really like any of the mixes on DT's recent albums.

Are you talking about master tracks. I have those for Steely Dan's Aja. It's a lot of fun.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
Yeah, I believe people like to call them that. I know there have been some Queen and Stevie Wonder songs around with the same labeling as well, among other ones. Just the whole package with all the individual drum tracks (and other tracks) where everything is clean with no EQ or any other processing done. I'd totally love to have a go at the drums on TEI since I'm not a huge fan of how they sound. Not that I wouldn't wanna mix the whole thing, I would love to balance the instruments a bit differently.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Just to be clear, though the 5.1 mix is the reason I'm not buying the deluxe edition, I'm definitely not complaining about it. I think it's cool that they make that available to people who have such a system. This is just an instance of me looking at something, seeing that it isn't for me, and deciding to save money by buying a standard edition. I'm not angry with the band about this decision at all, I'm just making my own decision about what to buy based on the way things are.
^ this.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
A DVD of a live studio performance of the entire album.

That's why I fucking love what Wintersun did with Time. Awesome quality performances  :metal

Offline dragonmaster715

i wouldent even consider buying as is. if they lowered the price to atleast 70 OR put in a limited edition poster/T-shirt/something like that i would consider it reasonable. i would consider it but still couldent bring myself to by it when i can save that money to go see DT during the next tour

Offline Hanz Gruber

Seeing as I'm not the only one who is disappointed with the news of what's included (and what's not included) in the deluxe and box set editions of the new album, what would need to be included to make it worth it to you personally? If price is a factor, mention it, although keep in mind that the box sets will like always go for a minimum of $90 and the deluxe edition $7 to $10 more than the standard edition.

For me, I liked what was offered in the deluxe versions of SC, BCaSL and ADToE. Each offered something different but still appealed to me.
I'd get the deluxe edition if it had at least one of the following:
• a CD of studio-recorded cover songs
• a CD of other original songs that didn't make the album
• a CD of alternate versions of songs, except for instrumental versions which don't do anything for me (I'm thinking more along the lines of the piano version of Wither, alternate remixes, etc.)
• a CD of demos
• a DVD with stem files for all the songs
• a DVD with a documentary on the making of the album
The 5.1 mix of the album doesn't do anything for me since I don't have a setup for it, but if it was to be included on a DVD along with a documentary or the stem files, that'd be great.

For the box set version of the album, I'd want at least 3 of the choices listed above and that's it (assuming they would be exclusive to the box set). I'm sure some other items would be included in the box set such as the album on vinyl, maybe a lithograph of the cover art and maybe a couple other things, but quite honestly, none of that stuff interests me. One thing that would interest me is some sort of special booklet that featured exclusive photos, liner notes and commentary on each of the album tracks by the band members, not unlike a tourbook, but for the studio instead.

What would it take for you to purchase the deluxe version or box set of a new DT album, or are you perfectly happy with what has been offered?

Songs that didn't make the album or unreleased songs

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
I'll probably get the special edition because the price isn't that much more expensive. I wish it were packaged in a double jewel case rather than a digipak tho, and it does rather look like the booklet is glued on to the digipak again - trying to read the lyrics to ADTOE with that digipak balanced on my knee is awkward to say the least.

In terms of the box set - I can't see what they could throw in to make it worth that much money to me. I'd want exclusive extra tracks (covers, unused, demos or live) as a minimum, and probably some nice merch - exclusive T-shirt, key ring, shot glass, etc - but even then I probably wouldn't.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Lowdz

Good list, Scotty.  That probably captures my interests as well. 

I think the box is really cool if you are a vinyl collector.  And given that vinyl has really had a huge resurgence in the last few years, it makes total sense.  But I am NOT a vinyl collector.  And, like you, I have no 5.1 setup.  And I don't have an iPhone, so probably wouldn't be able to use the phone case.  The lithograph is cool, but I'm not really a litograph or poster kind of guy, so while those are neat to include, they would never be a reason for me to buy a special edition.  So basically what it comes down to for me is that I would be buying the box set for the CD and the memory stick with the stems and 30 minute documentary.  I'm guessing I can get the standard edition CD for around $12.  That means I would be paying about $88, plus shipping, for stems of one song and a 30 minute documentary.  That isn't worth it to me.  It's a great box set, and I'm not disappointed at all.  But it doesn't match my interests, so I'll just be going for the standard edition.  And that's fine since what I have been waiting for is the new Dream Theater album, not "the new Dream Theater album, plus ___."

All of this. Stems to all tracks would interest me but one song? No. Not for me. I'd like to see the documentary but that's all there is in these extras to interest me.

Offline Grizz

Actually, if they gave us masters I would buy it. They just don't want JMX to be heard.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Well they're failing pretty miserably then because I can hear him.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
I hope that documentary is awesome. By the way, was there previously a ADTOE box set? I saw RR just added it to the shop but the contents seem pretty few.

Offline aprilethereal

Yep, there was a box set for ADTOE. And I'm pretty sceptical towards the documentary, considering it's only 10 minutes (+ 20 minutes Mangini jam).

Offline Grisel

I love/want/need to collect as much DT articles as I can. I do have the two previous box sets (BCSL & ADToE)... this time, even though I've already pre-ordered my DT box set, I feel that they didn't really mean to release something particularly special for the fans, as it should be (given that you'd be giving away 100 bucks). Seems and feels like they just got used to release the "special editions" and wasted the whole special idea.

Anyways... down here in Argentina there isn't much material that you can get, other than the studio releases, so I'm constantly surfing the web for new, rare and miscellaneous collectibles to enlarge my collection!
But I know it is not "normal" to be like me  :laugh:

Wanna see how crazy am I about Dream Theater? Check here.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
Oh my god....I want to go to there.

Do you not wear any of those t-shirts??

Also question, which DVD is that on the right with the big centered stop sign with the Majesty logo on it?

I wish you lived near me so I could go see all of that in person!
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Also question, which DVD is that on the right with the big centered stop sign with the Majesty logo on it?

I can answer that! ;)

It's a fan club dvd called "A Walk Beside The Band" produced by yours truly. It contains interviews, backstage tours and a song or two from 5 countries on the Octavarium tour.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr

I can answer that! ;)

It's a fan club dvd called "A Walk Beside The Band" produced by yours truly. It contains interviews, backstage tours and a song or two from 5 countries on the Octavarium tour.

I want that! :dangerwillrobinson:

Offline jmasterx

My favorite goodie was the making of for Systematic Chaos. In fact, just awesome moments like these make it worth it for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ydQH_Mw_A

I also love how raw the production felt on the SC making of. I hate all this super professionally edited stuff. It ruins my feeling of feeling like I am in the studio.

So for me, either a nice making of like SC and or stems of all the songs and or demos like Best of Times with MP on vocals do it for me.

When it comes to Opeth, I have every 5.1 mix because I love listening to the center channel alone to M.A's growls, and then I love removing his vocal and really hearing both guitars. But, other than that, 5.1 mixes do not mean that much to me. Heritage had a nice making of that I enjoyed.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
My favorite goodie was the making of for Systematic Chaos. In fact, just awesome moments like these make it worth it for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ydQH_Mw_A

I also love how raw the production felt on the SC making of. I hate all this super professionally edited stuff. It ruins my feeling of feeling like I am in the studio.

So for me, either a nice making of like SC and or stems of all the songs and or demos like Best of Times with MP on vocals do it for me.

When it comes to Opeth, I have every 5.1 mix because I love listening to the center channel alone to M.A's growls, and then I love removing his vocal and really hearing both guitars. But, other than that, 5.1 mixes do not mean that much to me. Heritage had a nice making of that I enjoyed.

Yes yes yes, this! Those in-studio moments are so much fun, and it seems weird that the band don't want to do something like that anymore, what with JR always recording everything. *shrug*

Offline krieger

I think the box is really cool if you are a vinyl collector.  And given that vinyl has really had a huge resurgence in the last few years, it makes total sense.  But I am NOT a vinyl collector. 

I agree 100%. For vinyl lovers this box is everything you could ask. For me, I would buy if it had the instrumental versions (like ADTOE), and instead of the 5.1 mix (I don't care about) - anything else. A demo, a documentary, a live song... whatever.  :metal
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
Box set ordered  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Grisel

Oh my god....I want to go to there.

Do you not wear any of those t-shirts??

I wish you lived near me so I could go see all of that in person!
OMG... it's been a while since I was here.
I do wear those shirts. And listen to every album... and watch every DVD. And that's not my entire collection; I'm a bit lazy now to take all out and photos since it's so huge.
Wanna see how crazy am I about Dream Theater? Check here.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I only buy deluxe editions of albums.

I want to get my money's worth.

I even bought the 2 disc version of DT12 despite not being able to use the second disc.

We need another in studio doc like SC or ADTOE.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

We need another in studio doc like SC or ADTOE.
So much this!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

Here's what I'm asking for in a box set of a DT album.  One, definitely non-vocal instrumentals of songs, so that I can try to sing them.  Two, definitely, a very meaty documentary of the making of the album.  Like, at least, an hour.  I guess some demos would be all right, but demos are mainly stuff that they probably think does not show the best representations of the band.  I shall pay probably $30 for it (I'm cheap like that).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
My answer to this is:  MUSIC.  I do use the 5.1 mixes, so that is enough, and I like alternate takes and unreleased songs.   Remixes are iffy, depends on whether they just add a club beat to the start or not (haha) or, like Marillion used to do on some of their singles, make them new songs.

One thing I don't like is mixing of formats.  I don't have, nor care about, vinyl, so to get a bunch of things I physically can't use is tough.   I think it was the AC/DC box set that was awesome (basically every song they've ever released non-album) but I had to pay over $100 more than the deluxe version (which was an incomplete set of non-album songs) to get vinyl versions and an amp.  I bought it, but I would have liked to have been able to be more selective. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
I bought BC&SL, ADTOE and DT12 in both the multi disc editions and the $100+ dollar deluxe packs with LPs and media books and such. 

I think I'll skip the super deluxe one this time around unless it's just pure freakin magic.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I'd need:

1. A blu-ray of the making of the album. (I have all DT's available blu-rays. I like consistency.)

2. A CD of fully produced, but unreleased songs.

3. An autograph from all current members

4. A ticket to a midwest show on the US tour.

Anything less than this and I couldn't justify either the wait (invariably, when I preorder something, I get it AFTER it's available to the general public), or the $100+ price tag.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?