Author Topic: What would it take for you to purchase the deluxe or box set of a new DT album?  (Read 12708 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
The only thing that I can think of that would make me spend $100 on a deluxe box set is if it had a concert ticket voucher.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I know this amounts to heresy here, but I might not buy the album. I have Google Music, so I will listen to it through that when it comes out.

I don't understand how that works?

Does Google Music let you listen to other people's music?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Or I would buy this at a pricetag of 60 bucks. 

While I would love for it to be less expensive, in all fairness, I can't really add "lower pricetag" to my wish list.  For what you get, I think it's a great box set, and I think it is a very fair price.  It's just that, for me, the things you get do not much my interests and aren't practical for me.

I may even just end up buying it if we know that the 30 minute documentary is apart from Mangini's audition footage and that'll be good enough for me. 

I already confirmed that they are not separate.  The Mangini jam is approximately 20 minutes of the 30 minute documentary footage.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
By the way, what the hell are those iDots? I mean, I know they're supposed to go over the iPod/iPhone button, but are they actual stickers? Can I stick them to other things? Cause I don't plan on getting an iPhone any time soon.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
The only thing that I can think of that would make me spend $100 on a deluxe box set is if it had a concert ticket voucher.

I bought it for BC&SL because when they said they were including the "isolated instrument tracks" in the pre-release marketing materials, I mistakenly thought they were including the "isolated instrument tracks"   :facepalm:

stems isolated instrument tracks

Can you explain the difference?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I know this amounts to heresy here, but I might not buy the album. I have Google Music, so I will listen to it through that when it comes out.

Well I'll be able to listen on Spotify but I still want to buy the album to support the band.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni

Can you explain the difference?

Sure....the stems are the fully produced final instrument tracks, including effects, EQ, mastering, etc.

In my mind, as a producer, "isolated instrument tracks" would be raw, unproduced, unedited, instrument tracks with no effects or post-production of any kind applied to them. 

In my mind, as a producer, "isolated instrument tracks" would be raw, unproduced, unedited, instrument tracks with no effects or post-production of any kind applied to them.

Oh... I wouldn't want those.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni

Well I'll be able to listen on Spotify but I still want to buy the album to support the band.

Oh, right, so Google Music is similar to Spotify?  That makes sense.  Why not try before you buy if it's available and legal?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

I understand that point, and for that reason I might buy it online after all. I will definitely not buy a physical version, because those things just rot in my basement.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh... I wouldn't want those.

Some people would want them, though.  In fact, that's what I wanted.  And I know that a lot of people who do what I do (home recording and production) were disappointed that the "stems" were fully produced instrument tracks instead of raw, unproduced stuff.

It would have been nice if the band (or whoever was in charge of the marketing campaign) had put a bit more detail into the description of that stuff.

Not THAT big of a deal, but I wouldn't have laid out the $100 if I knew what I was getting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I have almost reached the point as well where I am not sure I will bother buying the physical CD; they just sit on my CD rack now and collect dust. 

As for buying the deluxe or box set, there is probably nothing they could offer.  I don't care about most of the things Setlist Scotty mentioned, and I can't think of anything offhand that would make me want to spend close to $100 on it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm usually surprised by the amount of people who do have the set up and furthermore; the space to set it up. I imagine if I ever had it I wouldn't have a use for it unless I have a room in my house designated just for that with one lazy chair in the middle and nothing else heh, kinda silly but it's really the way I imagine ever enjoying a 5.1 set up.

I've had a 5.1 setup since I lived in a 600 sq. ft apartment. It doesn't have to be an ideal set-up, with MartinLogan speakers properly placed and calibrated based on the ideal sitting position. My setup is for movies though, I don't own any 5.1 CDs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
By the way, what the hell are those iDots?
I read that as "iDiots" :lol

No, that's what you'd call people who spend hundreds of dollars every few months just to get a new version of whatever Apple product they already own.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Seeing as I'm not the only one who is disappointed with the news of what's included (and what's not included) in the deluxe and box set editions of the new album, what would need to be included to make it worth it to you personally? If price is a factor, mention it, although keep in mind that the box sets will like always go for a minimum of $90 and the deluxe edition $7 to $10 more than the standard edition.

For me, I liked what was offered in the deluxe versions of SC, BCaSL and ADToE. Each offered something different but still appealed to me.
I'd get the deluxe edition if it had at least one of the following:
• a CD of studio-recorded cover songs
• a CD of other original songs that didn't make the album
• a CD of alternate versions of songs, except for instrumental versions which don't do anything for me (I'm thinking more along the lines of the piano version of Wither, alternate remixes, etc.)
• a CD of demos
• a DVD with stem files for all the songs
• a DVD with a documentary on the making of the album
The 5.1 mix of the album doesn't do anything for me since I don't have a setup for it, but if it was to be included on a DVD along with a documentary or the stem files, that'd be great.

For the box set version of the album, I'd want at least 3 of the choices listed above and that's it (assuming they would be exclusive to the box set). I'm sure some other items would be included in the box set such as the album on vinyl, maybe a lithograph of the cover art and maybe a couple other things, but quite honestly, none of that stuff interests me. One thing that would interest me is some sort of special booklet that featured exclusive photos, liner notes and commentary on each of the album tracks by the band members, not unlike a tourbook, but for the studio instead.

What would it take for you to purchase the deluxe version or box set of a new DT album, or are you perfectly happy with what has been offered?
Scotty, I pretty much agree with everything you said, except I wouldn't really be interested in a CD of demos (assuming it was just demos of the songs on the album). Otherwise, any of those things would have got me buying the deluxe version, but the 5.1 mix is just of no interest to me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

My minimum order is one extra song.

Two and a half minutes of entertainment. Just a bonus track is enough to make me pay a few pounds more. If I'm buying material by a band I love, I want to buy all of it. A documentary is also good.  (So long as it's ten minutes or more - I've seen a couple of documentaries where they might as well have not bothered.)

What else? An extra download, cover songs, a live performance, acoustics. Sometimes instrumentals, though not always. Trinkets, a poster, a print, a T-shirt. Frankly, I'm pretty easy - anything that adds value.  But I don't have a 5.1 set-up, and I don't have a vinyl player, so they just plain don't add value.

Basically, I'll buy the most definitive version that's under £20.00. For me, a 5.1 mix adds no value for money (but doesn't necessarily reduce it - I've got Stupid Dream because there was other stuff there) and a vinyl actively reduces that value. As soon as it arrives in my house, it is nothing more than a comically oversized coaster, and I'm getting significantly less bang for my buck. Standard, this album cycle, is my only option.

I suppose I could wall mount them. Or make them into some big clocks.

Offline emtee

Most of what Scotty mentioned plus I personally would like a quality T-shirt with the album artwork. Something made well that
would last.

Offline hacko

I don't have a 5.1 setup at my house, but my father in law does, and you can totally hear the difference.
I'll probably be getting the special edition. I don't see what they could offer for me to use 100$ out of my limited yearly 400$ internet use (fucking communist country) on vinyls that i won't use and paying a ton on shipping from the US.

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
• a CD of studio-recorded cover songs
• a CD of other original songs that didn't make the album
• a CD of alternate versions of songs, except for instrumental versions which don't do anything for me (I'm thinking more along the lines of the piano version of Wither, alternate remixes, etc.)
• a CD of demos
• a DVD with a documentary on the making of the album
The 5.1 mix of the album doesn't do anything for me since I don't have a setup for it, but if it was to be included on a DVD along with a documentary or the stem files, that'd be great.

I would buy a deluxe or box set if it had the above stuff. Maybe the cover/original/alternate/demo songs could be on 1 CD, given that it would fit on one (maybe 2).

A DVD of the making of the album would be excellent.

I don't have a 5.1 setup so I wouldn't bother with that.

Also, maybe if the box set included a t-shirt and other small goodies like that I would be more likely to purchase it.

The standard edition will suffice for now though.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
I bought the deluxe anyway but what it SHOULD have taken:

1. Special edition cd
2. artwork
3. MM's audition jam/commentary/something cool to watch about the making of the album (or all three)
4. lottery system to a meet and greet with the band at the coming show
5. autographed poster
6. stems
7. something else instead of the vinyl!

by the way, I'm interested by the fact that the Bigger Picture is the stem and vinyl song.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
It would be necessary for Brazil to drop its ridiculous 60% tax of imported products OR lower the price a lot, seeing that anything that expensive may end up getting taxed. >_>

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
My problem with most of these box sets is that they come with a bunch of useless crap. Stuff like coasters, stickers, and postcards that I'm not gonna do anything with. This one has a lot of stuff that I'm actually interested in; I have a record player so the vinyl will definitely be listened to and I've always wanted a clear vinyl anyway. Plus the documentary sounds cool. I might actually buy this.

Another thing I like is that it comes with the digipak. I hate how most box sets just have the discs in the box, no jewel case or anything.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
1. Lower price. I'd be willing to go half what it's going for now. A c-note is just not doable for music.

2. Making of Doc. I think it's time to have a making of again. Especially with a new member fully integrated.

If it had making of doc on Blu-ray with commentary from the whole band, a 5.1 mix CD, with instrumental versions of all the songs and maybe a majesty logo lithograph signed by the whole band....

Perhaps then I could justify a c-note.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline ProgressiveIce

I'm going to buy the box set, so it wouldn't take anything additional for me. However, instrumentals, demos or songs that didn't make the cut would be neat.

Majesty cufflinks lol
I read "handcuffs" first. That would be interesting... :heybaby:

Offline KISS 76

This is the first DT Box Set I won't buy & I really had my heart set on getting it.

I would have liked a making of the album DVD & alternate mix exclusive to the box. The other shit is just filler to me...

Two disc set only this time.

Offline hipodilski

By the way, what the hell are those iDots?
Apparently, so does Google. I tried searching for idots and it kept correcting me and suggesting that I search for idiots. :)

Anyway, these appear to be round gel stickers placed on the home button. Although it probably looks cool, I'd much prefer a full blown majesty themed gel case. But as many people above mentioned, not everybody has an iphone/ipod, so this probably is not the best choice for a collectors boxset that is supposed to appeal to every fan.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
I bought it, but DT is one of those bands that I through money at anyway - haha.

I would say, though, I wish this box set had a making of the new album DVD.  That would be killer.  Maybe it's on the LLAP dvd? Who knows...
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Apparently, so does Google. I tried searching for idots and it kept correcting me and suggesting that I search for idiots. :)

Anyway, these appear to be round gel stickers placed on the home button. Although it probably looks cool, I'd much prefer a full blown majesty themed gel case. But as many people above mentioned, not everybody has an iphone/ipod, so this probably is not the best choice for a collectors boxset that is supposed to appeal to every fan.

Yeah, with little gel stickers, I can theoretically put them on anything. Oh, my PS3 power button can now have a majesty symbol on it!  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A DVD of a live studio performance of the entire album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A DVD of a live studio performance of the entire album.

I like what Metallica did with St. Anger. I cannot listen to the album, but I do enjoy watching them play it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline aprilethereal

I never buy deluxe boxes, even if they have some really cool extras that I'd love to get, simply because of the expensive prices. I do usually buy limited editions, but unfortunately I don't have a 5.1 system, so I'll just buy the standard edition of the new album. I would've liked a making of documentary, some original songs as bonus tracks or a bonus disc of demos.

This.

No, that's what you'd call people who spend hundreds of dollars every few months just to get a new version of whatever Apple product they already own.

:clap:

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Even if you don't have a 5.1 system, sometimes depending on the source, the downmix could be far better than the CD version.

Offline 20th Century Icon

• Sir
  • These go to eleven
Couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a box set.

The deluxe CD should have the behind-the-scenes doc. If it did, I would buy it.