Author Topic: What would it take for you to purchase the deluxe or box set of a new DT album?  (Read 12710 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Seeing as I'm not the only one who is disappointed with the news of what's included (and what's not included) in the deluxe and box set editions of the new album, what would need to be included to make it worth it to you personally? If price is a factor, mention it, although keep in mind that the box sets will like always go for a minimum of $90 and the deluxe edition $7 to $10 more than the standard edition.

For me, I liked what was offered in the deluxe versions of SC, BCaSL and ADToE. Each offered something different but still appealed to me.
I'd get the deluxe edition if it had at least one of the following:
• a CD of studio-recorded cover songs
• a CD of other original songs that didn't make the album
• a CD of alternate versions of songs, except for instrumental versions which don't do anything for me (I'm thinking more along the lines of the piano version of Wither, alternate remixes, etc.)
• a CD of demos
• a DVD with stem files for all the songs
• a DVD with a documentary on the making of the album
The 5.1 mix of the album doesn't do anything for me since I don't have a setup for it, but if it was to be included on a DVD along with a documentary or the stem files, that'd be great.

For the box set version of the album, I'd want at least 3 of the choices listed above and that's it (assuming they would be exclusive to the box set). I'm sure some other items would be included in the box set such as the album on vinyl, maybe a lithograph of the cover art and maybe a couple other things, but quite honestly, none of that stuff interests me. One thing that would interest me is some sort of special booklet that featured exclusive photos, liner notes and commentary on each of the album tracks by the band members, not unlike a tourbook, but for the studio instead.

What would it take for you to purchase the deluxe version or box set of a new DT album, or are you perfectly happy with what has been offered?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline philmcson

A better paycheck or a lower price  :biggrin:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
It would take a making of the album DVD for me to get the special edition.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I bought the boxset of BCASL 100% for the full stems. The MM doco already sweetens the deal a bit, although a full in studio doco for DT12 would sweeten it further.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
If it came with a free handy from the crying girl in the Luna Park trailer.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
The current price of the deluxe set would be fair if it had come with any of the things Scotty named in his post.  $8 extra for an extra CD or DVD with more original, never-before-seen/heard content?  Hell yeah.  $8 extra for a surround mix that I will never be able to listen to?  Nope.

Since I'm a student I cannot justify spending $100 on a boxset no matter what the contents are.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
That two. Oh and a limited edition mouse pad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wish the Deluxe had the documentary, similar to CS and ODTOE. I'm not interested in a 5.1 either.
And obviously if a Deluxe included bonus tracks, that would be good as well.

I seriously could not ever envision me spending $100 for a Box set, unless a concert ticket voucher was included.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

At the price it is, I think the DT12 Box Set is at a fair price. It's cheaper than the original asking prices of the last two box sets. I was most happy with the BC&SL box set, it had the most bang for the buck, but ADTOE was a bit of a let down, but the presentation of the box itself was nice.

As for this set, it looks pretty good and at the lower price, I'm quite happy. The USB was unexpected, and is the single vinyl. I'm okay with what I'm getting considering the individual costs of the items all in one package. The CD/DVD + the 2LP = about $50, then add in the stickers and the USB, that'd be about another $35 (because really, that's what they'd charge), then the exclusive Single Vinyl for about $10-15 more...throw that all into an exclusive box, $100 seems reasonable to me!

Sometimes I feel like when fans complain, I just want to listen to "Never Enough". A lot of fans of other bands would be happy that they're even putting out a new album in a timely manner, and not every 5-7 years. The fact that they do special/deluxe/box set editions of their NEW albums (and not re-hash old albums with remasters, remixes, re-releases and other goodies that aren't too rare) is AWESOME, and I cannot complain about what is and isn't included. Sometimes I think fans are a bit spoiled, and part of that might be Portnoy's doing, giving out a lot more than what I would expect any band would give as far as extras, YtseJam Records, documentaries, etc. etc.

Not to say that if Portnoy had been around for the last 2 releases we would have gotten more... I'm just saying that I am glad we are still getting new albums!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Good list, Scotty.  That probably captures my interests as well. 

I think the box is really cool if you are a vinyl collector.  And given that vinyl has really had a huge resurgence in the last few years, it makes total sense.  But I am NOT a vinyl collector.  And, like you, I have no 5.1 setup.  And I don't have an iPhone, so probably wouldn't be able to use the phone case.  The lithograph is cool, but I'm not really a litograph or poster kind of guy, so while those are neat to include, they would never be a reason for me to buy a special edition.  So basically what it comes down to for me is that I would be buying the box set for the CD and the memory stick with the stems and 30 minute documentary.  I'm guessing I can get the standard edition CD for around $12.  That means I would be paying about $88, plus shipping, for stems of one song and a 30 minute documentary.  That isn't worth it to me.  It's a great box set, and I'm not disappointed at all.  But it doesn't match my interests, so I'll just be going for the standard edition.  And that's fine since what I have been waiting for is the new Dream Theater album, not "the new Dream Theater album, plus ___." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I'll probably never buy these kinds of box sets. I just don't need most of that stuff.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I wish the Deluxe had the documentary, similar to CS and ODTOE. I'm not interested in a 5.1 either.
And obviously if a Deluxe included bonus tracks, that would be good as well.

I seriously could not ever envision me spending $100 for a Box set, unless a concert ticket voucher was included.

^That

I won't be pre-ordering this time.  There's no reason for it.  I'll just hit up FYE or Best Buy on my way home from work and pick up the Standard Edition CD.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Honestly none of those options mean much to me, other than an in-studio making-of documentary like on SC. I don't care about demos, covers, stems, or alternate versions.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grizz

Stems, official bootleg, concert ticket, etc
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline goo-goo

A coffee table book of some sort or an expanded booklet with photos, much like Opeth's Heritage edition, the one with the extra booklet with studio pics (and signed).
The documentary would be great
A cd with alternate takes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Sometimes I feel like when fans complain, I just want to listen to "Never Enough". A lot of fans of other bands would be happy that they're even putting out a new album in a timely manner, and not every 5-7 years. The fact that they do special/deluxe/box set editions of their NEW albums (and not re-hash old albums with remasters, remixes, re-releases and other goodies that aren't too rare) is AWESOME, and I cannot complain about what is and isn't included. Sometimes I think fans are a bit spoiled, and part of that might be Portnoy's doing, giving out a lot more than what I would expect any band would give as far as extras, YtseJam Records, documentaries, etc. etc.

I hear you, M. and pretty much agree on your larger point. It's a stance I have taken on DTF many times.

I'm just disappointed that I'll miss out on the documentary this time. Particularly when it's been included before on similar packages.

But like Bosk said, I cannot wait for DT12. That's most important. I am more than happy to buy the standard copy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JPX

Personally speaking it would have to be completely different to what you get now. I really could care less about vinyl or stem files, or different mixes, or singles, or anything of that nature.

I think video games do special edition releases much better.

Here are some examples of things that I would be into:

- Hardback photobook of studio images, maybe include some concept artwork and/or concept sheet music/whiteboards etc
- Lithograph prints of artwork that you could frame
- Throwback cassette version of the album
- A tangible object that you can actually use - kinda like the flash drive - DT license plate - DT coasters - DT mousepad - Majesty cufflinks lol
- A mini JP EBMM replica that comes in a variety of suprise finishes.

Also, it's worth noting that all "exclusive" videos will most liekly end up on YouTube at some point, so paying for them (aka the 30 min documentary) seems pointless.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
If I could drop $100 on a single release I would, I just can't, as I have a lot of other music I'd like as well. :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:07:16 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I could drop $100 on a single release I would, I just can't, as I have a lot of other music I'd like as well. :smiley:

This as well. If I just get the standard version, that's 4 or 5 other CDs I can get with the money I would have spent on the box set.

Offline The Letter M

True. And like the last two albums, I will probably buy the standard, jewel cased edition of the album as well in addition to the box set I have pre-ordered. I guess I am an over-achieving completionist collector... I blame my older brother for instilling his sense of collector-ness in me at a young age.

I could drop $100 on a single release I would, I just can't, as I have a lot of other music I'd like as well. :smiley:

Ditto, but fortunately I have been getting extra money this summer, so recently I pre-ordered this box set, in addition to two packages of the new Flying Colors Live In Europe release (the DVD/T-Shirt/Poster package as well as the 2CD set), and the upcoming Levin Minnemann Rudess CD/DVD set. It's gonna be a good Autumn of music!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I want a huge ass solid metal majesty symbol to nail to the wall. Like, when Coheed and Cambria released their big boxset of the neverender shows, they included this:

I want something to display. Something that would look cool on my DT Shrine.

Also, i second the coffetable book.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
It would take for me to be an employed adult :lol

All the vinyl stuff makes a lot of sense, since at least 1 in 10 people who buy music have begun building (or expanding) vinyl collections in recent years due to the resurgence of the format; the 5.1 mixes make sense since I see people complaining a lot about DT not getting their albums on surround sound, but suddenly, when the new one comes with a 5.1 mix, no one is specifically interested in that :huh:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Scotty, you just said all I thought.  :tup
Do you even whahνbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I'm already getting the box set, but I'm pretty bummed that there won't be a CD of instrumental mixes of all the songs.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Majesty cufflinks lol

Majesty cufflinks
Majesty cufflinks
I would throw money at those.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nothing.

Check the Documentary on the CD/DVD edition and i'll get that.

but until then - standard CD.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
A better paycheck or a lower price  :biggrin:

This right here. Bought the 3 disc version of BCSL because it was on sale really cheap online and I got it three days early, but otherwise I tend to go for the normal versions because of economics.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
The fact that a link appeared on my screen was enough. I've never had a limited edition DT box set before.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Madman Shepherd

Definitely all of the things Scott mentioned.

Or I would buy this at a pricetag of 60 bucks. 

I may even just end up buying it if we know that the 30 minute documentary is apart from Mangini's audition footage and that'll be good enough for me. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I never buy deluxe boxes, even if they have some really cool extras that I'd love to get, simply because of the expensive prices. I do usually buy limited editions, but unfortunately I don't have a 5.1 system, so I'll just buy the standard edition of the new album. I would've liked a making of documentary, some original songs as bonus tracks or a bonus disc of demos.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
Yeah, it's not REALLY about the content to me, it's a money thing. It's hard to justify spending $100 on ANY edition CD when I plan on going to their show in 2014.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
• a CD of alternate versions of songs, except for instrumental versions which don't do anything for me (I'm thinking more along the lines of the piano version of Wither, alternate remixes, etc.)
• a CD of demos

I'd like these except I do like the instrumental versions.
Personally I'd add the ticket for life thing, I think it should be an option with every album release in deluxe boxes.

The 5.1 mix of the album doesn't do anything for me since I don't have a setup for it, but if it was to be included on a DVD along with a documentary or the stem files, that'd be great.

I'm usually surprised by the amount of people who do have the set up and furthermore; the space to set it up. I imagine if I ever had it I wouldn't have a use for it unless I have a room in my house designated just for that with one lazy chair in the middle and nothing else heh, kinda silly but it's really the way I imagine ever enjoying a 5.1 set up.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I know this amounts to heresy here, but I might not buy the album. I have Google Music, so I will listen to it through that when it comes out.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
I really, really deep down only care about the stems and about making-of documentaries. In retrospect, I'm really surprised there wasn't one for BC&SL, because MP always had a camera on wherever he was. And then, ADTOE kinda made sense, since it was a new situation etc., that they didn't have a making-of. But I'm honestly surprised that there isn't one for DT12, because JR seems to love recording every single moment of everything, as evidenced by his YouTube channel. :/ And it seems dumb to include a stem of only ONE SONG and not the rest. Why?? What if that one song is the one I hate the most on the album? Meh. I know I sound bitchy. I do think everything this comes with is worth $100, honestly, it's just that I don't have a record player or collect them, and I WANT THE STEMS SO BAAAAD. Lol. Oh well.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I know this amounts to heresy here, but I might not buy the album. I have Google Music, so I will listen to it through that when it comes out.

That is despicable. You don't deserve that Majesty brand on your chest.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"