Poll

asdf

The Enemy Inside
136 (50.7%)
On The Backs Of Angels
132 (49.3%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Author Topic: The Enemy Inside vs. On The Backs Of Angels  (Read 9534 times)

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
Re: The Enemy Inside vs. On The Backs Of Angels
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2013, 03:33:42 AM »
"The enemy inside" is my favorite, by far. :metal

So much better and "fresh" than "OTBOA", which sounds just like another "Pull me under" to me.
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2013, 03:43:31 AM »
The Enemy Inside by a mile. It hit me in the gut and hasn't let go since. OTBOA just wasn't near as powerful a single imo.

powerful =/= good IMO.

Doesn't mean I don't love TEI. I do.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2013, 03:50:28 AM »
Never liked OTBOA that much, while TEI is definitely my kind of single. What incredible display of power and skill!

Offline adamack

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2013, 04:18:35 AM »
My opinion is subject to change without a doubt, but I'm going to go with OtBoA.

I just feel like OtBoA has a lot more....meat to it, for lack of a better term.

When that main guitar riff comes in on OtBoA for the first time.....WOOOOOOOO that thing is on fire!

Not to mention the harmonized duet buildup bridge part before each chorus section.

That said, I still love TEI. I like it even more than ever as of right now. I just listened to it 2 times on my headphones and I was thinking to myself, "damn, this is an awesome song....how do they continue to put out amazing music?"

So, OtBoA > TEI, but with no disrespect to TEI.

Is it the 24th yet?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2013, 05:44:54 AM »
I just love the 2nd verse in TEI! The song overall punched me more the first time than OtBoA so I think TEI wins this one other than that both are pretty solid songs.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2013, 06:17:10 AM »
Otboa had me immediately. On the other hand, I suspect tei will be my least favorite track from DT12. At least, I hope it is.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2013, 07:51:08 AM »
Otboa had me immediately. On the other hand, I suspect tei will be my least favorite track from DT12. At least, I hope it is.
I'm hoping the same thing. :(

Offline Ruba

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
OTBOA. My favourite DT single since, ehrrm... Pull Me Under!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »
OTBOA easily

Offline JonnyM93

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2013, 11:16:48 AM »
I've always been a fan of the more "Epic"/"Atmospheric" DT songs, so I'll have to go with OTBOA. That being said, I love TEI, it's so heavy and in your face! Nice for a change.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »
Impossible for me to choose between the two right now. I never burned out on OTBOA, and the TEI ass kicking I've been taking several times a day, isn't going to get old any time soon. Both showcase different elements of DT and are the best back to back debut singles they have put out to date IMO.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
I have to go with on the Backs of Angels
That song hit me hard back in July of 2011 and I found myself listening to over and over
I've always embraced DT's shorter,to the point songs but I've found myself with no desire to listen to the Eneemy Inside

it seems kind of dry and uninspired

One song is never indicative of an entire DT album, so I am still excited and looking forward to hearing the  finished product

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2013, 12:43:53 AM »
Voted for OTBOA, as I'm not as big a fan of straightforward "metal" DT.

Why is metal in quotes? It's metal.

Because even their metal is proggy. Jordan's spaceship sounds wouldn't fit in, say, Testament or Anthrax.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2013, 01:05:45 AM »
I love them both. They're both fresh starts for DT. OTBOA was a fresh start with the song writing being opened up and losing the "RAAAAWR" influence of MP, with a great introduction to how MM would play with DT. And TEI is a fresh new beginning with MM as a writing partner.

TEI gave me that instagrin :caffeine: sorta excitement on first listen. OTBOA was great when I first heard it, but I was a little disappointed that the replacement instrument was so quiet. I had to hear the song quite a few times before I could really appreciate it, and hear the genius of MM. It didn't get me any more excited for ADTOE, the way TEI does for DT12.

Here's how I rate them....

OTBOA: :metal

TEI: :bnb:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2013, 01:30:36 AM »
Because even their metal is proggy. Jordan's spaceship sounds wouldn't fit in, say, Testament or Anthrax.

Yeah, but Ronnie James Dio's vocals wouldn't fit in with Anthrax either, but Heaven and Hell is still Metal.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2013, 01:44:07 PM »
Really surprised by the poll results, have to say. To me OTBOA is in a completely different (better) league. If you voted for TEI just go listen to On the Backs of Angels right now and then decide. Just listen to the intro and what you thought when you first heard that, and then the crappy first impression you get from TEI due to the mix and generic riff.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »
:tdwn for that last sentence..

"generic riff" :facepalm:

It's okay if you don't like it, but saying TEI is crappy or generic is just wrong. And against the rules as well afaik.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2013, 03:21:20 PM »
:tdwn for that last sentence..

"generic riff" :facepalm:

It's okay if you don't like it, but saying TEI is crappy or generic is just wrong. And against the rules as well afaik.
This,
and I'll have you know that I've listened to OtBoA so many times and loved it, but I really loved The Enemy Inside. Don't have to be so rude man, my opinion's different from yours, and stop spouting yours off as if it's fact :L

Offline johncal

« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
Well, considering TEI has a lead in the poll over OTBOA, and OTBOA was Grammy nominated, then I guess that means this is a fantastic song :metal

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »
Really surprised by the poll results, have to say. To me OTBOA is in a completely different (better) league.

It's a different kind of song.

If you voted for TEI just go listen to On the Backs of Angels right now and then decide. Just listen to the intro and what you thought when you first heard that, and then the crappy first impression you get from TEI due to the mix and generic riff.

Bold= really, dude?

italics=It's cool that you have an opinion, and I know not everyone is going to love the song. However, those are your opinions

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »
Really surprised by the poll results, have to say. To me OTBOA is in a completely different (better) league.

Then why even have a poll comparing it? I think I'm allowed to have an opinion about a song even if it's negative, isn't that why we have discussions like this? Maybe I phrased that wrong and it come off as imposing my opinion as fact, sorry for that. :S I guess it's just my feeling from what I've heard from my friends who got together to listen to that song when it came out and it was an overall bad first impression compared to OtBoA.

Anyway, it's not a terrible song, just don't see what it can possibly be compared with the other song, it's not even the same style of song, however to me it feels like a step backwards even from the most commercial stuff on ADTOE.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
They're being compared because they're the singles from their respective albums   :mehlin

Offline johncal

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »

Then why even have a poll comparing it? I think I'm allowed to have an opinion about a song even if it's negative, isn't that why we have discussions like this? Maybe I phrased that wrong and it come off as imposing my opinion as fact, sorry for that. :S I guess it's just my feeling from what I've heard from my friends who got together to listen to that song when it came out and it was an overall bad first impression compared to OtBoA.

Anyway, it's not a terrible song, just don't see what it can possibly be compared with the other song, it's not even the same style of song, however to me it feels like a step backwards even from the most commercial stuff on ADTOE.

The first time I heard it, I heard a stream at the peak time it was being released. It sounded like shit plain and simple. The iTunes and MP3 are vastly superior and good enough for portable equipment IMO.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »
"This poll... is tight like a witch's cleft" - Steven Wilson.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2013, 09:24:33 PM »
I really like OTBOA.  TEI had moments where I was saying 'what the hell was that?!' - just wanking for sake of wanking where it didn't even fit the song.  Scares me a bit, because the last 4 albums before ADTOE had tons of that I'm hoping this isn't something they're going back to.  ADTOE was a nice break.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2013, 03:08:41 AM »
I voted for Pull Me Under  ;D

I kid. OTBOA is a bit more Dream Theatery for me. Has that rock/metal edge but sounds anthemic.I like TEI but on personal level, it's not my kinda DT. I much prefer the bigger sounding compositions. I feel OTBOA is just a much more complete cohesive song. I like TEI though.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »
I voted for Pull Me Under  ;D

I kid. OTBOA is a bit more Dream Theatery for me. Has that rock/metal edge but sounds anthemic.I like TEI but on personal level, it's not my kinda DT. I much prefer the bigger sounding compositions. I feel OTBOA is just a much more complete cohesive song. I like TEI though.

This.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline hacko

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
Definitely OTBOA. Tei sounds way more "ballsy" than I prefer.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »
OTBOA definitely made a better job at making me excited for the release, but TEI is a strong track and even if it might be one of the weakest songs on the album, that's pretty promising for the rest of it. Also, TEI fits better as a "single" in the traditional sense.