Author Topic: From The Law Offices Of Levin Minnemann Rudess  (Read 28835 times)

Offline Frank

Re: Levin Minnemann Rudess
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »
Looks really cool, but as has been pointed out before, that's a very steep asking price. I'll wait until it cools down and I can buy it for the price of a "normal" CD.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
Looks really cool, but as has been pointed out before, that's a very steep asking price. I'll wait until it cools down and I can buy it for the price of a "normal" CD.

Not sure if $30 is steep for a DVD and CD combo?  Most music DVD's are between $15-20 these days and a CD between $8-$15. Sure its on the high end of that scale but I don't think it's THAT bad.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
Can someone tell me what is on that bonus DVD, as I can't view the page at work?

Kinda surprised people are complaining about $30+shipping/tax, for a CD and DVD that potentially could be signed by them?? if I read things right in this thread?
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »

Kinda surprised people are complaining about $30+shipping/tax, for a CD and DVD that potentially could be signed by them?? if I read things right in this thread?

That's right

The DVD contains:

- 24 bit wav files
- Exclusive Bonus Track
- Video of Tony & Jordan jamming in studio
- Marco interview
- Tony & Jordan interview
- Outtakes/Additional Footage
- Early home demo mixes by Marco

The First 1,000 Units Signed
By Tony, Marco & Jordan

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »

That's right

The DVD contains:

- 24 bit wav files
- Exclusive Bonus Track
- Video of Tony & Jordan jamming in studio
- Marco interview
- Tony & Jordan interview
- Outtakes/Additional Footage
- Early home demo mixes by Marco

The First 1,000 Units Signed
By Tony, Marco & Jordan

That sounds absolutely awesome! As someone said, with most music DVD's priced at $20 (whether or not they have any real bonus behind-scenes type stuff), and new albums priced around $15, I'd call this at the very least a decent price for such a bundle. For me personally, that's a steal!

Offline Frank

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »
I see your point, but I guess it would be nice to have an option to get a non-deluxe version of it too. ;) What with new DT, new Haken, and many other things, I can't afford to buy the special edition of EVERY new release.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »
A friend just posted this, a medley of samples from the album...

https://soundcloud.com/lazy-bones-recordings/medley-of-some-of-tonys/s-3ZqE6

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 01:01:02 AM »
Great medley, further increasing the likelihood of me preordering.

Yeah but I think I'd be more interested if there was a real guitarist.

I've seen a few videos with Marco on guitars, don't worry, he's good at that too.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 02:43:37 AM »
I couldnŽt resist this one, just placed an order!

About Minneman on guitars, IŽve never heard him play, but assume heŽll do a good job here. But I do think that not having a guitarrist is a  missed opportunity to attract even more attention to this project. Think about the possibilities! What if they had Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Greg Howe, Vinnie Moore or someone reasonably known in the prog/rock world? And if they plan to tour, theyŽll have to hire a guitar player anyway, right?

Offline DT_Aus

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:35 AM »

About Minneman on guitars, IŽve never heard him play, but assume heŽll do a good job here. But I do think that not having a guitarrist is a  missed opportunity to attract even more attention to this project. Think about the possibilities! What if they had Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Greg Howe, Vinnie Moore or someone reasonably known in the prog/rock world? And if they plan to tour, theyŽll have to hire a guitar player anyway, right?

Minnemann is minimalistic (minnemannistic) with his guitars. Not crap and simple but not complicated and over the top. Think of a less talented Fripp. Actually, not at all like Fripp in terms of skill but definitely in style and rhythm.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2013, 05:57:30 AM »

Minnemann is minimalistic (minnemannistic) with his guitars. Not crap and simple but not complicated and over the top. Think of a less talented Fripp. Actually, not at all like Fripp in terms of skill but definitely in style and rhythm.

Sounds promising!  :tup

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2013, 07:40:39 AM »
I don't see why guitars are required.  Emerson Lake & Palmer made a ton of great music with just keyboards, bass and drums.  Lake played some guitar here and there for contrasting texture; it sounds like Minnemann may be doing the same.

If anything, I often find it more interesting when bands rock out without guitars, not just because I'm a keyboard player, but because it's different.  Maybe the point is that they wanted to do something different, and with Jordan on keys, you don't really need a guitarist.  He has plenty of different sounds and obviously has the chops.  Let's see what he can do.  Rudess-Morgenstein is some cool stuff, and that's just keys and percussion.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »
Orbert basically just wrote the post I was planning to do. I highly doubt this album will suffer from not having a proper guitarist, I doubt these guys write very guitar orientated music.

And yeah, I pre-ordered it. This is like an early Christmas for me, I'm really looking forward to both this and the new DT album.

Offline jsem

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 09:44:20 AM »
I don't see why guitars are required.  Emerson Lake & Palmer made a ton of great music with just keyboards, bass and drums.
This exactly. They've got the high end covered anyway if Levin uses his stick in its full range.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
Whoa, I somehow wasn't even thinking of Tony using the Stick.  I was just thinking bass.  If there's Stick (which I'm sure there is), then they definitely don't need a guitarist.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
The only reason I mentioned that I prefer having guitar is because I have Liquid Trio Experiment, which is Rudess and Levin, and the lack of Petrucci on that just made it seem...empty. But, that was a different project, and I know these three guys are retardedly talented so I'm sure I'll like it :)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »
That's a fair point.  I was a bit disappointed with Liquid Trio Experiment as well.  I'd expected the three of them to do some more interesting stuff, perhaps take full advantage of the fact that JP wasn't there, but it instead kinda felt like three guys trying to do something while missing 1/4 of the band.  But they didn't really have a lot of time to prepare material strictly for that format.  Levin Minnemann Rudess have chosen this lineup, so it should be pretty impressive.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2013, 10:13:11 AM »
That's a fair point.  I was a bit disappointed with Liquid Trio Experiment as well.  I'd expected the three of them to do some more interesting stuff, perhaps take full advantage of the fact that JP wasn't there, but it instead kinda felt like three guys trying to do something while missing 1/4 of the band.  But they didn't really have a lot of time to prepare material strictly for that format.  Levin Minnemann Rudess have chosen this lineup, so it should be pretty impressive.

Agreed. I'm definitely looking forward to all the wonderful music I'm getting from so many groups this fall :)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »
I don't see why guitars are required.  Emerson Lake & Palmer made a ton of great music with just keyboards, bass and drums.  Lake played some guitar here and there for contrasting texture; it sounds like Minnemann may be doing the same.

If anything, I often find it more interesting when bands rock out without guitars, not just because I'm a keyboard player, but because it's different.  Maybe the point is that they wanted to do something different, and with Jordan on keys, you don't really need a guitarist.  He has plenty of different sounds and obviously has the chops.  Let's see what he can do.  Rudess-Morgenstein is some cool stuff, and that's just keys and percussion.
Agreed.

In addition to bass and stick, Levin is credited with cello too, which makes this even more interesting!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »
I have the King Crimson DVD Deja VROOOM, and Tony plays some upright bass on it, using a bow.  That made it all the more frustrating when he didn't play cello or upright bass in "Red".  He just played electric bass.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
Just got confirmation I'll be receiving a signed copy. WOOHOO.

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »
I just had a progasm. This sounds amazing!
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
The music video is seriously hilarious! I would pre-order this, but I don't have a credit card.. :(

Also, here's the music video. It's on the website, but I didn't see a direct link in this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I38N8XHJg8U#at=67
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »

WHAT. I want!! I'm afraid I might not be getting a signed copy because it took me so long to preorder :(

Offline Fisi

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
A signed copy coming for me too. I wouldn't say I'm more excited about this than the new Dream Theater album, but nevertheless September is going to be a spectacular month.  :hefdaddy

Online The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »

Ditto! So excited to get this album!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »
Signed copy here too  :metal

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
I also got a signed copy! :metal :metal

Offline JPX

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »

YAY. Me too. Woot!

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »
No email for me. Dammit. I'm super jelly of you guys.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »
Marco should shave his head, just to fit in

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »
Every time I've tried to get on the site, I get nothing but a white page.  ???

Thankfully, Elite shared that video, so now I've heard that awesome song! And that video...  :lol

I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline JPX

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
No email for me. Dammit. I'm super jelly of you guys.

Make sure it didn't go to your junk email because mine did.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »
Omg! :D I didn't even think to look there cause I was like "Well this is a music album from a record company, official email business, couldn't be in my junk folder hur-de-dur." It was totally there! I get a signed copy yayyyyyyyyyy  :rollin :tup

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2013, 02:37:02 PM »
Omg! :D I didn't even think to look there cause I was like "Well this is a music album from a record company, official email business, couldn't be in my junk folder hur-de-dur." It was totally there! I get a signed copy yayyyyyyyyyy  :rollin :tup

Yeah buddy!  :corn