Poll

Do you miss Portnoy ?

Yes!
58 (26.9%)
No!
158 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?  (Read 87051 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »
Simple answer:  No.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »
I miss him occasionally, but I do not want him to return to the band. He was too much of a control freak (mistakenly referred by him as OCD, which is a true disorder and something super nasty)  and his last years in DT were basically him driving the whole thing and taking the shots on everything. Things might've ended up differently for him if he wasn't so obsessed with him being in control of everything (bootlegs, setlists, press, tours, etc.). And, as many might agree, his "hey, my voice has balls, let me sing along with James so our music can have more balls" approach wasn't the best thing that happened to DT.

Also, his drumming became stale in the last records. I was listening to SDOIT the other day and was in awe, the drumming sounds so fresh, so inspired and so creative in that record that it's ridiculous. His live playing began to suffer, and this I began to realize until my "OMG MP BEST DRUMMER EVER DRUM GOD" phase faded away. I used to defend him (and everyone else in the band) so blindly that it was ridiculous  :lol He is a great drummer, but his lack of practice (he has said he doesn't practice anymore) began shaping in sloppy performances. I remember seeing A Nightmare to Remember live, and it was...you know, sloppy. The thing IMO that always made Portnoy shine was his drive on stage and his creativity into composing drum parts. I understand why he is such a big influence for young drummers nowadays, but truth is that he's no longer in the top tier of drummers like he was back in the 90s.

That being said, his Ytse Jam bootlegs thing and his communication with fans is something I do miss. A lot. But hey, give and take.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline emtee

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »
Only if the drum sonics are inferior again on this album. That would be 2 out of 2. One of the primary reasons I loved this band
is because the drummer had an equal voice and the drums were unapologetic, loud, complicated and in your face right along
with all the other instruments. I crave that from DT.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
Didn't we just have this thread not long ago?

And, like, 5 other times since he left?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »
Here's where I'm at with the MP stuff: 

1)  I think MP was great with the fans and he obviously worked very hard to make them happy, which I appreciate and admire.
2)  I think MP is responsible for a few of the elements of the sound of SC and BCSL that I disliked.  If DT continues along the musical path that they started with ADTOE, then I will be very happy, because I wasn't too fond of the direction I thought they were headed with the previous two albums.
3)  Taking MP back into the band would require kicking MM out, which he doesn't deserve and isn't expecting from the interviews he's given.  He's also extremely talented (moreso than MP in my opinion but there's no way to quantify that).
4)  DT seems to be really happy with where they are now, and as bosky said, they're firing on all cylinders.  I wouldn't want to stop this momentum.

So no, if it were up to me, I wouldn't want MP back in DT.  They've gone their separate ways and that's probably where they'll stay, and I think everyone is better off for it.

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »
Although I think it will not happen, I'd love to see him back.

DT is not really DT without him. He is irreplaceable. The same with Petrucci if one day he leaves.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
Didn't we just have this thread not long ago?

And, like, 5 other times since he left?

Yes, that is correct.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »
i also think that by not commenting in some positive fashion about where DT is now it probably doesn't help his case to get back in at some point. if i were DT, i'd think he would want to just skip over it a la when DLR got back in VH. if he embraced it more, i think it would show something.

maybe i'm wrong...

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
Simple answer:  No.

:clap:

What I can't figure with MP is why he starts bands and so easily leaves them. He'd said that AMOB was his #1 priority, and then a few months later, forms TWD and leaves AMOB because of a scheduling issue. The guy can't make up his mind. He leaves DT after 25 years because he's bored, then forms two bands within a year of each other, says he's focused on one, then leaves that one because he wants to focus on the other. That's just weird.

I love the guy, and his talent, but I don't want him back in DT. DT is too focused for him now.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
I voted yes as to whether I missed MP or not.But,as far as wishing him back I say no.At least not now,as I really like ADTOE.It just seemed fresh to me,and I like JP's Lyrics.I'm very interested in hearing the new album.Then I might be able to make a more informed decision.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »
Here's the thing. If Mike Portnoy came back into the band, would it be the same Dream Theater that you knew and loved when he was in it? Hell no. First of all, there was all that tension among the DT that you knew and loved. Everything seemed fine on the surface, but obviously things weren't fine at all. And second, after everything that's happened since the breakup, they've all changed, and I guarantee that it just wouldn't be the same DT you grew to love if MP came back. So the only thing we can get out of it is cosmetic nostalgia, seeing MP back on that stage with the guys. Beyond that, it would not be the same. And it probably would not be for the better.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »
yea, i agree. i don't know how MP could exist in the new DT. i couldn't imagine them just handing the controls right back to him.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »
I would only be for it if it was natural.
ie. Mangini decided to move on and MP and the band had previously worked things out so that he was a natural choice

Offline j

« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
You never know how accurate your perceptions are of a band's inner workings since they're generally based on sound bytes and interview snippets, but I was under the impression that Portnoy was a) largely responsible for certain elements of DT's music that I didn't much care for, b) a suppressing voice when it came to potentially "getting outside of their box," and c) the primary source of friction between band members.  Again, I don't know how true any of that actually is, but those were the impressions I had.  And yes he really seemed to go the extra mile for fans, but his obnoxious personality definitely grated on me at times.

In a way it's sad that they had to part ways after having played together for so long, but I think DT is probably better off at this juncture.  Although I suppose the new album's quality will shape my view on that one way or another.  But they certainly seem happy and "re-energized" or whatever.

-J

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »
No.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
I would only be for it if it was natural.
ie. Mangini decided to move on and MP and the band had previously worked things out so that he was a natural choice

Yeah that's a good point, I think at this point it would break my heart to see DT fire MM after getting to see what a great drummer and great all around human being he is.  Regardless of how I feel about MP being back, I'd really feel bad for MM unless the situation was like what you described, natural and mutual.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
I'd only agree to a DT with MP [ i'm a poet and I never realised ]. .If MM left of his own accord and the band had settled all differences with MP and he didn't *immediately* return to being the control freak he was before.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »

DT is not really DT without him. He is irreplaceable. The same with Petrucci if one day he leaves.

I see DT as completely valid in it's current state.  Not the same, but still DT.  Take JP out and it is just over and done. forever. amen.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »

I see DT as completely valid in it's current state.  Not the same, but still DT.  Take JP out and it is just over and done. forever. amen.

Mike Portnoy definitely added a unique drumming style to DT, but frankly, when hearing a DT song for the first time, I didn't go, "Oh man, check out that drumming!" I went, "Check out that crazy guitar and keyboard work!" And then later, "Check out that unique vocalist."

So IMO, JLB, JP and JR better define what DT is than MP ever did. Musically speaking, I mean.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:40:34 PM by TheGreatPretender »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
I miss him occasionally, but I do not want him to return to the band. He was too much of a control freak (mistakenly referred by him as OCD, which is a true disorder and something super nasty) 

OCD is an anxiety disorder that manifests itself in many different ways.  From what I know of MP, and obviously none of us really know him that well personally with the exception of a few, he definitely does have OCD.  I wish he would refer to it as less of a cute quirk and more of an actual disorder because a lot of people really do suffer from it. 

His alcoholism, obsession about things and control, and always being in constant motion are definitely traits of OCD.  Of course, OCD is not and should not be an excuse for how you treat people or situations.  I believe along with a lot of others that he was out of line in a lot of his dealings with the band and its members before and after the split.

Both Portnoy and DT seem to be better off without each other.
This. I don't even want a one- or two-off reunion show. They're just done. MM has filled the gap MP left in the best way possible

I agree.  I don't want a reunion show because like MP said about KM, if there was a reunion it would be all about KM and it should be about the band.  A reunion show with MP would be just about MP and I am enjoying the rest of the members being more celebrated. 

Of course I have seen them with MP five times so I have that desire filled already. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2013, 12:40:03 PM »

Mike Portnoy definitely added a unique drumming style to DT, but frankly, when hearing a DT song for the first time, I didn't go, "Oh man, check out that drumming!" I went, "Check out that crazy guitar and keyboard work!" And then later, "Check out that unique vocalist."

So frankly, I'd say JLB, JP and JR better define what DT is than MP ever did. Musically speaking, I mean.

Agreed.  And throw Kevin Moore into the mix for those of us who got into DT back in the early 90s.  I know that when I first heard Dream Theater, the two things that grabbed me were JLB's voice and Kevin Moore's unique keyboard sounds.  Sure, the combination of every instrument plus JLB's voice created the magic that sucked me in, but when isolating each individual, LaBrie and Moore were who caught my attention the most at first. 

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
Agreed.  And throw Kevin Moore into the mix for those of us who got into DT back in the early 90s.  I know that when I first heard Dream Theater, the two things that grabbed me were JLB's voice and Kevin Moore's unique keyboard sounds.  Sure, the combination of every instrument plus JLB's voice created the magic that sucked me in, but when isolating each individual, LaBrie and Moore were who caught my attention the most at first.

Yeah, definitely. But that's the whole point. When Moore left, DT's sound changed quite a bit. And IF Jordan Rudess left, the change in sound would be equally as dramatic. And sure, one can say, "The change in the sound of the drums was dramatic on Turn of Evens (har har), but that was due to the way it was written and the mix. Like I always say, ADTOE was not an indicator of anything. It wasn't an indicator of what DT's drumming will be like from now on, it wasn't an indicator of JLB not being able to sing as well, and it wasn't an indicator of DT playing it safe from here on out. As far as I'm concerned, on September 24th, we'll find out exactly what the new DT will be like from here on out.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2013, 12:46:52 PM »
Did anybody check out that Blabbermouth link posted on the first page?

Quote from: Blabbermouth/MP Interview
Mike was also asked whether he would one day be willing to reunite with DREAM THEATER and rejoin the band as their drummer. "Sure," he replied. "I would do it in a heartbeat. They are the ones that have closed the door on it. I've only needed a break, and I've had that break. So I'm ready, willing and able. But I honestly don't think they ever will; they've closed their door on it and I think they're too headstrong in having to prove themselves without me.

It sucks, I love him to death but every time it appears that he's mellowed and made peace with the whole situation, he has to say something like that. Sure, maybe we were anxious to hear what DT would put out after his leave, but that still doesn't equate to having something to prove when the whole band, not just MP, is generally considered to have some of the most accomplished and capable musicians in the world. And it's been almost 3 years already! We got a long as fuck tour, a great album (imo of course, and soon to be 2 ;)), and a live album coming out soon as well.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
Did anybody check out that Blabbermouth link posted on the first page?

Quote from: Blabbermouth/MP Interview
Mike was also asked whether he would one day be willing to reunite with DREAM THEATER and rejoin the band as their drummer. "Sure," he replied. "I would do it in a heartbeat. They are the ones that have closed the door on it. I've only needed a break, and I've had that break. So I'm ready, willing and able. But I honestly don't think they ever will; they've closed their door on it and I think they're too headstrong in having to prove themselves without me.

It sucks, I love him to death but every time it appears that he's mellowed and made peace with the whole situation, he has to say something like that. Sure, maybe we were anxious to hear what DT would put out after his leave, but that still doesn't equate to having something to prove when the whole band, not just MP, is generally considered to have some of the most accomplished and capable musicians in the world. And it's been almost 3 years already! We got a long as fuck tour, a great album (imo of course, and soon to be 2 ;)), and a live album coming out soon as well.

It's also his opinion, and we shouldn't spin it out of context and start a whole big discussion about what an "awful human being he is."

Yes, it's full of crap, and maybe not all that thought out. (Like not considering the fact that they can't just fire Mangini on the spot like that.) But it is what it is, and I'd rather he wasn't afraid to speak his opinion, than having people freak out over it, and then forcing him to watch every little thing that he says. Not saying you're doing that, but knowing this forum, it's almost inevitable.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
It's also his opinion, and we shouldn't spin it out of context and start a whole big discussion about what an "awful human being he is."

Yes, it's full of crap, and maybe not all that thought out. (Like not considering the fact that they can't just fire Mangini on the spot like that.) But it is what it is, and I'd rather he wasn't afraid to speak his opinion, than having people freak out over it, and then forcing him to watch every little thing that he says. Not saying you're doing that, but knowing this forum, it's almost inevitable.
Oh yeah, I agree with you. If there's one thing I admire about MP, it's that he's always open in regards to how he feels. But it's that same trait of his that manages to stir up the pot again. As a musician of his caliber and recognition, he should be able to edit himself in a respectable and presentable manner without neutering his point of view. As one of the fans who wasn't  picking apart everything he's said through all of this and tried to be as unbiased as possible, it's really disappointing to read stuff like that from someone you hold in such high regard after all this time. But I will say that Blabbermouth deserves a lot of the blame for constantly asking shit like this every single time they get a chance to talk to him.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:06:39 PM by emblempride »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2013, 01:05:46 PM »
I just realized how much I miss Portnoy. Somehow I think he was the SOUL of Dream theater.
I'm going to try to explain why;

When Portnoy was around , I had this feeling like we fans were a lot more important.  All the Portnoy's updates, messages etc. etc.  made me feel like I  was important to him.
Everyone knows that Portnoy loves his fans and he really can show it! I'm not trying to say that DT without Portnoy doesn't care about their fans. But When he was around I almost had this feeling like I was somehow part of Dream Theater.

But I don't get that feeling anymore.
When Portnoy was around the relationship with DT and fans could be described as "We"  and now it is more like "Us and them".
But yeah, this was only my opinion  :angel:
I'm interested to know what you guys think.  :D

I don't feel that at all. It's all just advertising, that's all.
He only "cares" about the fans who agree with everything he says and does - otherwise you get banned.
But that's just my opinion.

When I heard he'd "left" DT I was shocked and thought things wouldn't be the same. But they got better. I love the chemistry within the band now and I can't wait to hear what MM comes up with this time.

I'd rather MP stay in The Winery Dogs- I like that album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
I just hate how he turns everything that DT do into being about HIM.

THEY won't let me back in the band [ because they've got mangini now ]

THEY won't go on a break [ which only he wanted anyway ]

THEY never talk to each other any more [ they don't talk to you..they get along much better now funnily enough ].

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
I just hate how he turns everything that DT do into being about HIM.

THEY won't let me back in the band [ because they've got mangini now ]

THEY won't go on a break [ which only he wanted anyway ]

THEY never talk to each other any more [ they don't talk to you..they get along much better now funnily enough ].

Well, while his words were very poorly chosen, you can't blame him for talking about himself in relation to DT when the question is about him and relates to DT.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »
^ Even so - he did always twist it to make himself the victim in every situation...

I want the band to split up for a few years so we can take a break and come back stronger but THEY don't want to ( and with good reason...) etc...

Just because one person thinks a few years off might be a good idea - doesn't mean the other four are the villains for not wanting to carry on.

« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
Look, we all know that MP wears his heart on his sleeve and tends to take things personal even when he shouldn't. Doesn't mean we should raise the knife at every little thing he says.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »
 :rollin :rollin

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »
Not a chance.  Portnoy tried to put my favorite band on hold for 4 years.  That's 2 or maybe 3 albums that would never have been made.  If he came back he might try it again; he might find himself still burned out.  Thanks for the memories, Portnoy, but stay away please.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
Also - some bands are like cover bands when they reform down the line.

DT were wise not to take a few years off and come back "stronger". IMO they would have lost all the momentum they'd been building up for 25 odd years.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
If DT12 turns out to be a major letdown, we might see some people calling for MP. But given how great ADTOE was and Luna Park will be, I doubt it.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »
Only if you are of the mindset that DT11 wasn't much cop - which isn't a popular opinion.

Besides - MP only did arranging. He did no melodic writing at all.

Getting him back would only change the arrangements and maybe bring back the loud drums.

However - if DT12 turns out to be poor - which I hardly think it will - it will give MP fanboys some ammo.