Poll

Do you miss Portnoy ?

Yes!
58 (26.9%)
No!
158 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?  (Read 86697 times)

Offline tiagodon

Re: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
I chose YES due to the robotic-low-tone-mixed-drumming in ADTOE.
But I will have to wait till DT12 comes out to answer properly.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2013, 02:12:58 PM »
Here's the thing. If Mike Portnoy came back into the band, would it be the same Dream Theater that you knew and loved when he was in it?

No, because it really no longer was for the last 3 years he spent in the band anyway, sadly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »
What I can't figure with MP is why he starts bands and so easily leaves them. He'd said that AMOB was his #1 priority, and then a few months later, forms TWD and leaves AMOB because of a scheduling issue. The guy can't make up his mind. He leaves DT after 25 years because he's bored, then forms two bands within a year of each other, says he's focused on one, then leaves that one because he wants to focus on the other. That's just weird.

Wolven, Mike Portnoy is certainly not above criticism.  But what you have posted is just inaccurate.  Saying he left DT because he was "bored" is an unfair mischaracterization.  He left because he felt "burned out on DT" and felt that he needed a break and could not go on with a new album on the schedule the band had set.  You are free to disagree with the validity of that, but that is not the same thing as leaving because he is "bored."  And saying he left AMOB purely because of a "scheling issue" is just as inaccurate.  Again, you may not agree with his reasoning, but if you are going to do that, please be more accurate when describing his reasoning.

...his obnoxious personality definitely grated on me at times.

J, I'm not going to issue a formal warning as long as this doesn't continue, but that post crosses the line.  Again, it's not that Mike Portnoy is beyond criticism.  He isn't.  You don't have to agree with or like everything about him.  But disagreeing with actions is one thing.  Singling him out because of his personality and calling him "obnoxious" is just insulting.  Don't get into attacks that are of a personal nature, please.  That definitely crosses the line.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:04:55 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cable

« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
I miss him occasionally, but I do not want him to return to the band. He was too much of a control freak (mistakenly referred by him as OCD, which is a true disorder and something super nasty) 

OCD is an anxiety disorder that manifests itself in many different ways.  From what I know of MP, and obviously none of us really know him that well personally with the exception of a few, he definitely does have OCD.  I wish he would refer to it as less of a cute quirk and more of an actual disorder because a lot of people really do suffer from it. 

The bolded part is key, and I think without more details from MP himself, in a focused personal time,
we cannot definitively diagnosis him with OCD. OCD has become common speak akin to ADHD and bipolar in that it's an adjective for some people's rather normal state(s) that a subjective viewer thinks is abnormal.

MP worked very hard, and cared very much while in DT; these are things we can for sure say. Workaholic and perfectionist fits. I don't agree with applying medical terms to a public figure, as it kind of cheapens and arm chair quarterbacks the field.  :-[
---

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
I chose YES due to the robotic-low-tone-mixed-drumming in ADTOE.
But I will have to wait till DT12 comes out to answer properly.

There are so many reasons for wanting MP back but this is a silly reason.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
DT with MP was getting really stale at the end. Doesn't even matter how much of that was MP's influence, I am just happy that getting MM into the band gave them a fresh blood infusion, because I was about to completely drop out on them.
I just wish MP had taken some time off and prepare a "MP Mark II", with fresh drumming up his sleeve. The bands he's been at this point are, IMHO, good or bad because of other band members' performance and songwriting; his drumming was mostly plug-and-play of his usual fills and stuff.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:04:17 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JRuless

« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2013, 03:04:26 PM »
Some opinions here I don't get and it's saddening me a bit..

I've enjoyed plenty of moments, in many years with the Man entertaining the whole arena, and yes maybe a little 'over the top'..
Everytime I hear the drum pattern at the beginning of TGP I'm overwhelmed by the creativity of Mr. Portnoy, and that's just a bit from dozens.
Years and years I've lurked on his forum and enjoyed the Man's posts to every question from many fans and issues..

I'm oke with the new situation, and I see no reason for having him back as the band  found some new spirit and energy..a new balance.

but Mike Portnoy has something special for me... so I would wish we we're a little careful in what we are saying about this Man from we've enjoyed en still enjoying a lot of great music.

But may'be that's just me and was it the same Mike who's got it right with his 'Never Enough'.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:48:30 PM by JRuless »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
Holy crap, dude. I know you only have 12 posts and thus may not know, but ...

never.

under any circumstance.

use "Never Enough" in an MP-related argument. :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
"The Man"?  Is that what we're calling him now?

Offline JRuless

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
Holy crap, dude. I know you only have 12 posts and thus may not know, but ...

never.

under any circumstance.

use "Never Enough" in an MP-related argument. :lol

"The Man"?  Is that what we're calling him now?

sorry.. maybe that was a little bit 'too much' indeed  :)

Offline The Jester

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »
No, he can stay out. Mangini is excellent and Dream Theater are moving forward without Portnoy.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
DT with MP was getting really stale at the end. Doesn't even matter how much of that was MP's influence, I am just happy that getting MM into the band gave them a fresh blood infusion, because I was about to completely drop out on them.
Yeah, basically this. I'm someone who loved BC&SL, but the band seemed to be in a rut in some ways, and MP realised that. He wanted to give them a boost by changing things up with a break - they weren't willing to go for that, but by him leaving they changed things up in a different way and have continued more fresh than they were before.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »
I miss him occasionally, but I do not want him to return to the band. He was too much of a control freak (mistakenly referred by him as OCD, which is a true disorder and something super nasty) 

OCD is an anxiety disorder that manifests itself in many different ways.  From what I know of MP, and obviously none of us really know him that well personally with the exception of a few, he definitely does have OCD.  I wish he would refer to it as less of a cute quirk and more of an actual disorder because a lot of people really do suffer from it. 

The bolded part is key, and I think without more details from MP himself, in a focused personal time,
we cannot definitively diagnosis him with OCD. OCD has become common speak akin to ADHD and bipolar in that it's an adjective for some people's rather normal state(s) that a subjective viewer thinks is abnormal.

MP worked very hard, and cared very much while in DT; these are things we can for sure say. Workaholic and perfectionist fits. I don't agree with applying medical terms to a public figure, as it kind of cheapens and arm chair quarterbacks the field.  :-[

I think there is a happy medium to your argument which I tried to make in my argument.  I didn't diagnose him with OCD but sometimes the shoe seems to fit and he practically mentions it in every interview.  Does my opinion matter that much?  Of course not.  I made sure to include that none of us know for sure because like you said, people will use OCD and ADD as adjectives wayyyy to much which really cheapens a serious condition that can afflict people.  Of course, I know people with both those conditions and while it has at times caused big problems in their life, they are relatively successful regardless of any societal sterotypes people attribute. It is not as simple as some airhead saying, "oh my god, im sooooo OCD." or someone that spaces out once in a while and says, "Sorry, im just really ADD right now" but at the same time, they are both very complex conditions.  Its just that it was a lot easier to type out my previous statement you responded to rather than this diatribe and specify that from what i know and understand about OCD which is probably a lot more than the overage person, I could easily see Mike being diagnosed with it. 

^ Even so - he did always twist it to make himself the victim in every situation...

...and then when he is called out on it, he furthers the victim status by saying, "Everything I say is picked apart and taken out of context," yet the positive things he does are also picked apart such as all the nuggets, etc and he loves that.   He does his fair share of picking apart too, such as the supposed structure of ADTOE being the same as I&W or taking James's comment about not being sad that MP is gone out of context when he himself always trashes Blabbermouth for doing the same to him. 

Besides - MP only did arranging. He did no melodic writing at all.

I think both those statements are a little inaccurate.  He certainly did some arranging but JP and JR were always the main force in that department from what I understand.  Also, he did write many vocal melodies and occasionally even a guitar riff or two.  I heard that A Rite of Passage was instigated by riffs he wrote (and I wish we could hear more details about that and other songs he actually wrote melodies for).  BTW, I friggin' love that song.  By far my favorite off of an otherwise underwhelming album. 

Anyway, didn't mean to nitpick your statement because I agree with 99% of what you have said. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2013, 04:32:15 PM »

His alcoholism, obsession about things and control, and always being in constant motion are definitely traits of OCD.  Of course, OCD is not and should not be an excuse for how you treat people or situations.  I believe along with a lot of others that he was out of line in a lot of his dealings with the band and its members before and after the split.

Both Portnoy and DT seem to be better off without each other.
This. I don't even want a one- or two-off reunion show. They're just done. MM has filled the gap MP left in the best way possible

I agree.  I don't want a reunion show because like MP said about KM, if there was a reunion it would be all about KM and it should be about the band.  A reunion show with MP would be just about MP and I am enjoying the rest of the members being more celebrated. 

Of course I have seen them with MP five times so I have that desire filled already.

True, we don't know MP's personal life and shouldn't never get to meddle in his private affairs, but he doesn't strike to me like a person who's under medication for such condition. I've known cases of OCD patients and trust me, it's always ugly. It's not a "I'm OCD so I own everything my favorite bands have put out and I have control of everything my band does!" type, it's a medicated type in which people, literally, go crazy while everything crumbles around them. I don't wanna turn this into a medical debate whatsoever, but that's the reason I'm a bit bothered MP says that so often. Making reference to what you said, of his personality traits all being symptoms of the disease...I'm not that convinced. He just strikes me as an obsessive person that happened to suffer from alcoholism and maybe other addictions. I may be wrong, I may be right, who knows. It's not of anyone's business but MP's (and his family).

That's me, though. As I said afterwards in my post, I do miss lots of the things Portnoy did for the band. I consider the Ytse Jam Bootlegs to be dead, I really can't see the other guys taking interest in bootlegs after Portnoy's departure so that's something I miss dearly. I hope I'm proven wrong, it would be so amazing that we get an out of the blue notice of a DVD from the Black Clouds tour released by Ytse Jam Records, or some demos or something. Also, the band felt much more personal with him on the helm, that's a fact. Now, they feel like a big rock band that has grand plans or something. With MP, even though they were big they always felt super personal... I dunno, it's a weird feeling. They are different presentations of Dream Theater, and I was very fortunate to live the MP-era Dream Theater for quite some years in the same way I'm extremely lucky to be able to enjoy Mangini-era Dream Theater.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline j

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »
...his obnoxious personality definitely grated on me at times.

J, I'm not going to issue a formal warning as long as this doesn't continue, but that post crosses the line.  Again, it's not that Mike Portnoy is being criticism.  He isn't.  You don't have to agree with or like everything about him.  But disagreeing with actions is one thing.  Singling him out because of his personality and calling him "obnoxious" is just insulting.  Don't get into attacks that are of a personal nature, please.  That definitely crosses the line.

Poor choice of words, my bad.

-J

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2013, 06:32:15 PM »

...and then when he is called out on it, he furthers the victim status. 

Or just back-pedals.

Like that time on Twitter when he tweeted " Man - November Rain has the same drum fill TWENTY SEVEN TIMES....."

Matt Sorum replied : " Rock and roll is not all about big drum kits and insane fills you know..."

To which Portnoy replied with " I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU :) :) :) "

Or when he dismisses "liking" or "retweeting" insults about DT as " THEY said that NOT ME ". Even though agreeing with something is virtually saying it yourself.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
I read an interesting article written by a girl about MP's departure. She said that all the speculations around the episode were lacking a "girl's view", per say. She said that MP left the band because he needed to get laid. The whole thing about rock n'roll is sex and he was not getting sex with DT, the "family band".
Well, that's a girl's point of view... If she is right, and Portnoy is getting it with The Winery Dogs, then no, he will never return to DT.

I'll try to find it. It's pretty funny though...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:00:05 PM by tiagodon »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »
Whatttttttt the fuck?  Portnoy has been married with children for years.

This is probably one of the worst posts I've ever seen on this forum. :lol
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:54:41 PM by theseoafs »

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »
I read an interesting article written by a girl about MP's departure. She said that all the speculations around the episode were lacking a "girl's view", per say. She said that MP left the band because he needed to get laid. The whole thing about rock n'roll is sex and he was not getting sex with DT, the "family band".
Well, that's a girl's point of view... If she is right, and Portnoy is getting it with The Winery Dogs, then no, he will never return to DT.

This is wrong on so many levels. It borders on insulting.  :(
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »
I'm trying to find it and post the link here. No, she didn't mean to sound insulting. Maybe just funny.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
The entire concept of it is insulting.  No need to post it here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cable

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »

His alcoholism, obsession about things and control, and always being in constant motion are definitely traits of OCD.  Of course, OCD is not and should not be an excuse for how you treat people or situations.  I believe along with a lot of others that he was out of line in a lot of his dealings with the band and its members before and after the split.

Both Portnoy and DT seem to be better off without each other.
This. I don't even want a one- or two-off reunion show. They're just done. MM has filled the gap MP left in the best way possible

I agree.  I don't want a reunion show because like MP said about KM, if there was a reunion it would be all about KM and it should be about the band.  A reunion show with MP would be just about MP and I am enjoying the rest of the members being more celebrated. 

Of course I have seen them with MP five times so I have that desire filled already.

True, we don't know MP's personal life and shouldn't never get to meddle in his private affairs, but he doesn't strike to me like a person who's under medication for such condition. I've known cases of OCD patients and trust me, it's always ugly. It's not a "I'm OCD so I own everything my favorite bands have put out and I have control of everything my band does!" type, it's a medicated type in which people, literally, go crazy while everything crumbles around them. I don't wanna turn this into a medical debate whatsoever, but that's the reason I'm a bit bothered MP says that so often. Making reference to what you said, of his personality traits all being symptoms of the disease...I'm not that convinced. He just strikes me as an obsessive person that happened to suffer from alcoholism and maybe other addictions. I may be wrong, I may be right, who knows. It's not of anyone's business but MP's (and his family).

This is where I trying to get basically in less.

And I see where you were going with your last post Madman.  :coolio

The person in my career I diagnosed it for billing had abuse in their past, and another mental disorder. And even when I did use OCD along with something else, I was still not 100% on OCD, because of the parameters of the disorder. So while I am a supporter of substance abuse and addictions overall as mental disorders, I doubt Mike had going on what my client did. OCD is washing hands five times and etc. But again, we don't know everything.

And the fact he did throw it around in interviews devalues the condition. We all have obsessive things. He could have it, he could not. But unless he said he was diagnosed with it, nope.

Anyway, sorry for the thread derail!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:28:29 PM by CableX 1814 »
---

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2013, 08:24:48 PM »
A lot of people use the term "OCD" just to mean obsessive. I imagine that's what Mike meant by it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2013, 08:58:55 PM »

...and then when he is called out on it, he furthers the victim status. 

Or just back-pedals.

Like that time on Twitter when he tweeted " Man - November Rain has the same drum fill TWENTY SEVEN TIMES....."

Matt Sorum replied : " Rock and roll is not all about big drum kits and insane fills you know..."

To which Portnoy replied with " I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU :) :) :) "

Or when he dismisses "liking" or "retweeting" insults about DT as " THEY said that NOT ME ". Even though agreeing with something is virtually saying it yourself.

Not to use this as an excuse to pile up on Mike but I was actually thinking about that very thing today.  Side note: I just bought 6 Rush CDs on Amazon for less than 5 bucks each, brand new.  Never listened to or cared for Rush before but...well, speaking of compulsive, it was too good to pass up (and I'm really digging'em)!  Anyway, I thought of the interview he did with Metal Sludge back in the year 2000.  It is an interesting read with a lot of interesting non-controversial thing but he said some kinda shitty things about Neil Peart which he later said he was doing to spice things up because Metal Sludge is basically a gossipy metal site for assholes run by assholes.  For instance, their message board has no rules except to not post peoples personal info and often threads will go way off topic and turn into a flame war (but there are a lot of interesting posts on the board other than that). 

Anyway, here is what MP said: 
10.  Rate the following drummers on a scale of 1 to 10.  1 being somebody with no rhythm and 10 being the man. Peter Criss = Criss 1976 was a 10 and a god to me, Criss 1996 gets an 8 for effort, and Criss 2000 is a 3 and should've quit while he was ahead
Joey Kramer = 5 - OK drummer, but I never cared much about Aerosmith
Vinnie Paul = 9 - Vinnie fucking rocks! Great feet, great power and cool grooves...Gotta lose the bandana though.. Rikki Rockett = 2 - Gimme a break! Nice guy though...met him in '93
Tommy Lee = 8 - Rock solid (no pun intended!) Loved the first 2 Motley albums at the time ('82ish) and he got me started with double bass back then..
Neil Peart = Once again, like Peter Criss - A big whopping 10 back in the day...nobody could've been a bigger influence on me back then....but now he should give it a rest and try to play something new (forget that jazz crap)
Lars Ulrich = An 8 pre-Bob Rock, and a 3 post-Bob Rock and Live
Eric Singer = Was never a no-makeup Kiss fan, but I liked the first Badlands album. Plus Eric's a nice guy to me....so I'll say 7
Charlie Benante = 9 - Charlie was a big influence for me back in the mid-80's...I loved the 1st SOD album and the first 3 Anthrax albums...I also respect his writing and think he's a cool guy...We have alot of the same interests (same music, films, TV shows, etc...)
Nicko McBrain = An 8 just for the Piece of Mind and Powerslave albums alone...Nicko's also a great guy who's alot of fun to hang out with....

11.  Since you were extremely involved in the project, how do feel in regards to Neil Peart's comment that all the bands on the Rush tribute album were "bar bands"?
Yeah that was fucked up...Especially because Dream Theater, Skid Row, Mr. Big and alot of the other musicians and bands involved on that tribute sell ALOT more records outside of North America than Rush does...Once you go to Europe or South America or Japan or wherever, Rush is not popular at all...and I figured by putting this tribute together, we'd introduce a whole new generation of kids to who one of our big influences was.... I guess Neil's people-skills are really lacking...I feel sorry for him with all the personal shit he's been through recently, but I lost all respect for him as a person after all the work I put into that CD.... We were just paying tribute and trying to say thanks, but he apparently took it as us trying to make money off Rush's name which certainly wasn't the case...

Later Mike backtracked and said he was playing it up for the site and then went on to interview him for an issue of some music magazine where musicians interviewed their idols or something like that.  Now he considers him a good friend. 

I'm thinking, "but I thought you said he sucked."  Also seemed like a cheap shot to talk about "all the personal shit he's been through recently".  Really?  Losing your daughter in a tragic car accident and a wife to cancer shortly after...and essentially saying, "but fuck him!"

Anyway, full interview here

https://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=202&Itemid=52

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »
ABSOLUTELY YES! But as long as both sides continue making great music I can live without it.

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »
Sometimes I miss him.  However, I think I like the band the way it is for now.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
Don't want him back in the band, but I wouldn't mind some one-off thing at a festival sometime down the line though.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline dongringo

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2013, 10:55:36 PM »
Absolutely not, but not because of his drumming or ego, rather because the band are more energized and happy playing together now. It's obvious in the live presentation. That and I don't like where some of his songwriting was going. They are back on track and better than ever since he left. I truly believe that they are better off without him.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
I don't think it likely to happen, and I don't really care to see him back in DT, but I do hope he doesn't go the route of KM, where he just disappears from anything connected to DT. That would kinda be difficult for everyone I think.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »
Absolutely not, but not because of his drumming or ego, rather because the band are more energized and happy playing together now. It's obvious in the live presentation. That and I don't like where some of his songwriting was going. They are back on track and better than ever since he left. I truly believe that they are better off without him.

Not to mention that we all just love Mangini so darn much.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline dongringo

« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »

Not to mention that we all just love Mangini so darn much.

Oh yeah, that too.  :tup
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2013, 11:47:31 PM »
I don't think it likely to happen, and I don't really care to see him back in DT, but I do hope he doesn't go the route of KM, where he just disappears from anything connected to DT. That would kinda be difficult for everyone I think.
I doubt it. He's definitely still proud of the 25 years he spent in DT, obviously still wants to be in the band. He just doesn't have any interest in what they do without him. Which is fair enough, I suppose.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2013, 12:04:42 AM »
I doubt it. He's definitely still proud of the 25 years he spent in DT, obviously still wants to be in the band. He just doesn't have any interest in what they do without him. Which is fair enough, I suppose.

It is, but one could easily wonder why he, who once proclaimed himself to be the world's biggest Dream Theater fan, suddenly has no interest in them.  The world's biggest fan of a band should be able to recognize that what happened was for the betterment of the band.  In theory. :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »
It is, but one could easily wonder why he, who once proclaimed himself to be the world's biggest Dream Theater fan, suddenly has no interest in them.  The world's biggest fan of a band should be able to recognize that what happened was for the betterment of the band.  In theory. :lol

Well, come on. Knowing MP, regardless of how fulfilled he is with what he may be doing right now, is it really surprising that he'd be bitter about not being a part of their new chapter?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2013, 12:09:15 AM »
In theory, yea. But it makes sense though. It must be really painful for him to see DT move on without them. It goes beyond just being a fan, it's a personal thing too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods