Poll

Do you miss Portnoy ?

Yes!
58 (26.9%)
No!
158 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?  (Read 86959 times)

Offline adastra

Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:49:06 PM »
I just realized how much I miss Portnoy. Somehow I think he was the SOUL of Dream theater.
I'm going to try to explain why;

When Portnoy was around , I had this feeling like we fans were a lot more important.  All the Portnoy's updates, messages etc. etc.  made me feel like I  was important to him.
Everyone knows that Portnoy loves his fans and he really can show it! I'm not trying to say that DT without Portnoy doesn't care about their fans. But When he was around I almost had this feeling like I was somehow part of Dream Theater.

But I don't get that feeling anymore.
When Portnoy was around the relationship with DT and fans could be described as "We"  and now it is more like "Us and them".
But yeah, this was only my opinion  :angel:
I'm interested to know what you guys think.  :D
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »
The thread title and the poll question do not match up.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:57:15 PM »
Both Portnoy and DT seem to be better off without each other. That said, it'd be cool if they reunited for a show or two sometime in the future.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline adastra

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:59:24 PM »

Sorry, I made a fool out of myself  :-[

Both Portnoy and DT seem to be better off without each other. That said, it'd be cool if they reunited for a show or two sometime in the future.

I guess you are right about that.  Have they started to talk with each other again? 
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
This is going to end well.

I do miss MP's contributions to the band, but I love the current lineup as-is too (despite ADTOE being one of my lower ranked DT albums), so it's not a simple yes/no for me. I'm a fan of all DT eras.
I think it's definitely best at this point remaining how it is though, and they couldn't and shouldn't get back together now. DT are continuing along nicely, and MP's been doing well recently too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:08:34 AM »
I honestly can't give a solid yes or no answer to this question. I mean, Portnoy is one of my biggest influences on drums. He is the one who got me to accept and try out double bass work. At the same time, it sounds like there were a lot of tensions building in the band, so maybe it was right for him to leave. Which brings me to Mangini. ADTOE is certainly not in my top 3 DT albums, but it was a return to more of their classic sound, which I dig. Mangini himself is a great guy it seems, and certainly a great drummer. I do feel though that his drumming does not have as much feeling as Portnoy's did.

What's happened has happened though - MP is gone and DT has carried on, and they are certainly carrying on better than I thought they would have. I hope to see a long and fruitful relationship with MM and some kickass reunion shows with Portnoy. In the end though, I kinda wish he had stayed and just magically resolved everything with DT and released an album with them to rival their masterpieces.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »
I like how the band is now, and I think MM is better than MP on all levels. They're re-energized and happier and as stated above, better off without each other.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 12:20:52 AM »
maybe for an anniversary show in the future. but im happy with mangini

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 12:31:26 AM »
No. I didn't listen to DTs music because I felt a special connection to their former drummer because he made a decent amount of updates and sent messages to fans. I also didn't interpret him sending messages to fans and status updates as the "soul" of DTs music. Sure, the level of connection he provided with fans was cool and all, but that's all it was to me. Just a cool extra. What's more, my opinion of the music and what it does for me was never influenced by the level of connection I might have felt by Portnoys social involvement.

In other words, as an example, I'll feel the same about A Change of Seasons if Mike Portnoy did or did not give me a wink and a thumbs up at a concert.

The band is perfect where it's at now imo. Looking back and wishing for something else would only serve to distract me from what matters most to me; the music.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 12:35:30 AM »
This, which has ruined this thread. I miss him in a number of ways, but I don't want him back in the band because they're doing fantastic new stuff. So I can't answer in this poll because I don't know which question I'm answering.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 12:39:52 AM »
Funny this thread was started, cuz this was posted on Blabbermouth:

https://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=193252

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 12:40:21 AM »
Here's how I see it. I would like Dream Theater to be the band that they appeared to be on the surface, after the Octavarium era. Back then, if you look at the Score documentary, it really feels like the band is together and everything is perfect. Or the making of DVD for Systematic Chaos, everyone seems to be having fun, enjoying themselves, James said it was the most fun he had recording an album since Awake. I loved that Dream Theater, and if the band could be like that, inside and out, that would be fantastic.

But unfortunately, as we know now, not all was well in DT camp, and things seemed to get worse with the Black Clouds era. So if that's how it was going to be in Dream Theater, then no, I certainly wouldn't want that version of Dream Theater to be around.

As of right now, with Mike Portnoy leaving Adrenalin Mob, it really feels like he's having a hard time committing to any one project. I feel like he's going through Band ADD, and I certainly wouldn't want that Mike Portnoy to be back in Dream Theater, out of sheer obligation.

So, that only leaves the current line-up. They're having great chemistry with Mike Mangini, and just because they don't come updating us with minor things every 5 minutes, doesn't mean that they aren't there for the fans. I don't want information on the new album, I don't want snippets. The way they're doing it now, it really feels like September 24th is birthday, and they're preparing a surprise for us. That's all.

But like I said, if we could have Mike Portnoy in the band, and have the band maintain the same kind of energy and spirit that they had after Scenes From A Memory, I'd be all for it. But those days are gone now.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 12:41:05 AM »
I like how the band is now, and I think MM is better than MP on all levels. They're re-energized and happier and as stated above, better off without each other.

This. Imagine ADTOE being another SC / BC&SL style album :-\
And as long as they are happier now and continue to make (better) music, I don't really miss MP.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 12:42:27 AM »
I will say I miss Portnoy writing music that's in the progressive vein of DT stuff. His latest projects are most excellent and all, but I'd love to hear him back in the mode I've always been fond of. But the great thing about where he's at now in his career, is that anything is possible and he has a million different paths to choose from. In a lot of ways, I like him as much where he's at now in his career as much as when he was with DT. Kinda like a kid moving out of their parents house. You don't want him to leave, but at the same time you want him to go out and experience everything else and see what he accomplishes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 12:52:58 AM »

This. Imagine ADTOE being another SC / BC&SL style album :-\
And as long as they are happier now and continue to make (better) music, I don't really miss MP.

I rank ADTOE right at the same level as SC and BCASL, and prefer certain individual songs from SC and BCASL more than anything on ADTOE, so the quality of DT12 will be pretty important to me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 01:39:37 AM »
I don’t really want any of them stepping into MP’s shoes; one of the problems leading to MP’s need for a break was his obsession in DT matters. I want these guys to have as much free space as a publicly exposed person can have, and I want it just out of my own selfishness because I want them to write at least 12 more records (wishful thinking).

It’s also difficult to compare the way of dealing with fans, since JP and MP are very different personalities. MP has stated more than once in interviews that he is a fan himself, just look at all the photos he shows with some of his idols.

If I want MP back? Hmmm, hard to tell, I like Mangini’s way and he is a hell of a drummer, for me it’s out of question if he is the right replacement for Portnoy. The question would be now if Portnoy would be a good replacement for Mangini. It would be easier if they had just a session drummer and I’m eager to hear Mangini’s input in DT12. Basically I would only like to see Portnoy back if Mangini needed a break and if he was not to be the band leader again.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 02:02:42 AM »
Talking musically,well, DT12 is coming and will be the very first album involving the new Mike in the arrangement so I'll just wait to say something. Can't really say if I miss MP since ADTOE drum parts are drum machine only.

Considering I'm a drummer, MP has always been a key figure to me, I loved his drumming badly even in some songs I usually don't like (Never Enough is a great example of it). But no, I really don't want him back now. He decided to go, as someone else asserted, his words he was obsessed with all DT universe and the responsibility grew more than he expected.
Will be cool if they could reunite for a couple of dates in future, but nothing more. Something was broken and can't be fixed and never will be IMO.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:38 AM »
ADTOE drum parts are drum machine only.

Sorry, but that's absolutely wrong.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 02:12:36 AM »
ADTOE drum parts are drum machine only.

Sorry, but that's absolutely wrong.

I'm pretty sure I am not. I was talking about the arrengement itself, not when they recorded.

me on lastfm

Offline liran95

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 02:25:19 AM »
Same as previously stated: I do miss Portnoy, don't want him back in the band.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 03:34:41 AM »
Both Portnoy and DT seem to be better off without each other.
This. I don't even want a one- or two-off reunion show. They're just done. MM has filled the gap MP left in the best way possible, and MP is having fun with his many projects.

Offline Dekost

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 03:56:05 AM »
Absolutely not for the moment. DT are fine and they are enjoying themselves way more without MP. MP is creating a gazillion new bands and having fun as well.
Maybe in the future, who knows, they could be doing something together once again.. but for now, hell no.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 03:59:52 AM »
I think MP was an instrumental part of Dream Theater and his contribution in both the musical sound and the management life of the band cannot be underestimate. Still, I don't miss him and I don't want him to be back in the band on a stable position.

As for one-off reunion I wouldn't mind them sometime in the future, but I don't see any happening.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 04:20:11 AM »
After his public display the year following his departure... Absolutely not.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 04:39:08 AM »
I think MP was an instrumental part of Dream Theater and his contribution in both the musical sound and the management life of the band cannot be underestimate. Still, I don't miss him and I don't want him to be back in the band on a stable position.

As for one-off reunion I wouldn't mind them sometime in the future, but I don't see any happening.

The very hardcore fans could never underestimate his dedication to the whole DT world, as a fan himself, he understood our point of view and tried to get us as closed as possible. Honestly I could never forget this. The way he decided to go was disappointing to me, I felt like a bitter flavour for it.

me on lastfm

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 04:49:17 AM »
Where is the "Never" option?

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 04:51:09 AM »

LOL that was a good one  ;D

me on lastfm

Offline adastra

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 04:55:55 AM »

Mike will hurt his  feelings when he sees that  :-[   (yeah, i'm sure he reads DTF)

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 04:58:15 AM »

Mike will hurt his  feelings when he sees that  :-[   (yeah, i'm sure he reads DTF)

I think he was looking for the "Never" option as well  ::) :angel:

me on lastfm

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 05:25:57 AM »
In answer to the thread question;

Depends how the new album is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 05:31:13 AM »

I think he was looking for the "Never" option as well  ::) :angel:

Considering just a few posts above a link was posted from blabbermouth where MP clearly states he would be in again, that's a very ignorant statement.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 05:32:07 AM »
maybe for an anniversary show in the future. but im happy with mangini

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 05:33:49 AM »
The band seems much more in tune with each other right now.  There was separation in writing and it seemed that some members (Myung) effort in the studio were less.  I think they were less engaged when one person takes over every aspect.

Do I loe Mike still?   Yes, but I'd rather move forward now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 05:53:56 AM »
I just realized how much I miss Portnoy. Somehow I think he was the SOUL of Dream theater.
I'm going to try to explain why;

When Portnoy was around , I had this feeling like we fans were a lot more important.  All the Portnoy's updates, messages etc. etc.  made me feel like I  was important to him.
Everyone knows that Portnoy loves his fans and he really can show it! I'm not trying to say that DT without Portnoy doesn't care about their fans. But When he was around I almost had this feeling like I was somehow part of Dream Theater.

But I don't get that feeling anymore.
When Portnoy was around the relationship with DT and fans could be described as "We"  and now it is more like "Us and them".
But yeah, this was only my opinion  :angel:
I'm interested to know what you guys think.  :D

I completely get your point of view and I agree that he interacted with the fans on a level that the other band members do not. Both in this regard and a musical one, he was the soul of DT. However, that was also part of what turned a lot of people off-- especially when you focus on their last three albums with him. Because I did not enjoy those albums, it didn't matter much to me at the time his level of interaction with the fans; I was barely listening to the band's new music. So while I do miss MP in one way, in the most important way, I think the two parties are better off. I'm really enjoying MP's projects, and I love ADToE and hope that I will love DT12 too.

I don't want MP to rejoin DT. I want him to keep doing FC and Winery Dogs. MM very rightly pointed out on the day of his audition that he will not be what "he (MP) was in this." And we can't expect him to be. As it is now, a lot of people grossly overestimated his songwriting contributions to the new album. Those people could find themselves disappointed with the switch if they don't like the songs. My point is that less MP input and more MM input (on the drums at least) is the way to go right now. Of course, it's impossible to say whether DT made better music with MP or MM at this stage since we don't have enough material. But my point is I think both are headed in the right directions musically and I wouldn't want to see them get together again.

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 06:04:14 AM »
I don't get Portnoy. Maybe he is wrongly quoted or something but "I would join the band in a heartbeat" and "I've had my break". To me this sounds like DT is number one and he is willing to leave everything behind (A-mob, TWD etc.) if DT wants him back. Didn't he say in another interview that winery dogs is his number one priority?

I wouldn't want to be in a band with that guy.