Author Topic: "Isn't this where we came in?" in Octavarium  (Read 7554 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: "Isn't this where we came in?" in Octavarium
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 10:39:29 AM »
After all that, I didn’t even catch the line that’s referenced in Octavarium!

It's right at the beginning & end of the album. In the first few seconds of In The Flesh, you can hear "...we came in" & in the last few seconds of Outside The Wall, you can here "isn't this where...". Put them together & you have the line referenced.

Now I hear it! Now just need to spot it in Octavarium.

Edit: oh, there it is. Never would have picked that out on my own.

Yeah...As I mentioned earlier, most of the "nuggets" are not things that, in a million years, I would have noticed on my own.  Kinda cool, but it seems like a LOT of effort for not much return (although MP seemed to think it was worthwhile).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »
I think that if done correctly, Easter eggs/nuggets could enhance the music and make the experience a little more enjoyable. All the ones spoken about from Octavarium are great.

Some nuggets though, kind of take away from the music (ITNOG for example).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2021, 01:30:35 PM »
After all that, I didn’t even catch the line that’s referenced in Octavarium!

It's right at the beginning & end of the album. In the first few seconds of In The Flesh, you can hear "...we came in" & in the last few seconds of Outside The Wall, you can here "isn't this where...". Put them together & you have the line referenced.

Now I hear it! Now just need to spot it in Octavarium.

Edit: oh, there it is. Never would have picked that out on my own.

Yeah...As I mentioned earlier, most of the "nuggets" are not things that, in a million years, I would have noticed on my own.  Kinda cool, but it seems like a LOT of effort for not much return (although MP seemed to think it was worthwhile).

I think it's one of those things that either grabs you or it doesn't.  I once spent a rainy afternoon going through Beatles songs listening for all the dumb shit that's in their songs.  John yelling "Oh!" and Paul saying "Fucking hell!" during Hey Jude.  Ringo sitting down to the kit in the same song.   The bad edits on Yer Blues.  The band singing "tit" over and over during "Girl".   The band misprouncing "dich" in the German version of "She Loves You" as "dick".   The yawn in "I'm Only Sleeping".   There are a ton more, too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2021, 01:35:22 PM »
The nuggets just came out at the perfect opportunity for me, being in High School and all. Didn't help we had a Gazeebo that was Octagon shaped, and we called it The Octavarium. And also, it being the end of the Meta-Albums, and it just cycles repeatedly from 8vm, never going back to the beginning of SFAM since Octavarium ends with the Root note of F that starts The Root of All Evil.

It was fun, and it was one of those "You had to be there" moments for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2021, 05:18:59 PM »
For what it's worth, I like Pink Floyd a lot, and I like what I have heard from The Wall, but I have never sat down and listened to the whole thing. 

Anyhow, yeah, that's one of SO many cool nuggets in Octavarium that give that album so much color and depth.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2021, 05:52:44 PM »
I once spent a rainy afternoon going through Beatles songs listening for all the dumb shit that's in their songs.  John yelling "Oh!" and Paul saying "Fucking hell!" during Hey Jude.  Ringo sitting down to the kit in the same song.   The bad edits on Yer Blues.  The band singing "tit" over and over during "Girl".   The band misprouncing "dich" in the German version of "She Loves You" as "dick".   The yawn in "I'm Only Sleeping".   There are a ton more, too.

So...basically, "she loves you" became "she loves fat."  What an odd thing to do.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 08:37:34 AM »
I once spent a rainy afternoon going through Beatles songs listening for all the dumb shit that's in their songs.  John yelling "Oh!" and Paul saying "Fucking hell!" during Hey Jude.  Ringo sitting down to the kit in the same song.   The bad edits on Yer Blues.  The band singing "tit" over and over during "Girl".   The band misprouncing "dich" in the German version of "She Loves You" as "dick".   The yawn in "I'm Only Sleeping".   There are a ton more, too.

So...basically, "she loves you" became "she loves fat."  What an odd thing to do.   :biggrin:

I think they were going for something more... juvenile.  But yes, odd.    :) :) :)

Offline tishma

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2023, 12:57:01 PM »
Yes, it's worth a thread, and also worth mentioning you find it just after 13 (5+8) minutes of Octavarium. Listen what happens at 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 - NOW! :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2023, 03:50:19 AM »
I simply cannot get through The Wall.

Have you tried going Over the Wall?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2023, 04:06:51 AM »
The more it ages, the more I find that this song is simply one of the greatest and well written pieces of music I've ever heard.  This is how you write a long song to perfection.  The build through the entire thing, the musical motifs, the intensity and the Full Circle climax is just amazing.  Should go down in history as one of the greats IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2023, 05:24:10 AM »
The more it ages, the more I find that this song is simply one of the greatest and well written pieces of music I've ever heard.  This is how you write a long song to perfection.  The build through the entire thing, the musical motifs, the intensity and the Full Circle climax is just amazing.  Should go down in history as one of the greats IMO.

I absolutely agree.  My #1 song of all-time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2023, 06:20:59 AM »

I feel Octavarium is a bit too derivative in too many spots, to the point of numerous melodies that feel lifted right out of songs by other artists, for me to consider it a top tier "sidelong" epic (for lack of a better term).  I still love it and enjoy it, but it feels a bit like listening to a mashup of other songs at times.  Heck, it didn't even make my DT top 20 a year ago when we did the DT countdown.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2023, 06:36:23 AM »

I feel Octavarium is a bit too derivative in too many spots, to the point of numerous melodies that feel lifted right out of songs by other artists, for me to consider it a top tier "sidelong" epic (for lack of a better term).  I still love it and enjoy it, but it feels a bit like listening to a mashup of other songs at times.  Heck, it didn't even make my DT top 20 a year ago when we did the DT countdown.

That's a TAC-level hot-take.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2023, 04:56:09 PM »

I never really noticed to be honest, but I probably don't know many of the songs that were lifted from anyway.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2023, 07:31:44 PM »
The more it ages, the more I find that this song is simply one of the greatest and well written pieces of music I've ever heard. This is how you write a long song to perfection.  The build through the entire thing, the musical motifs, the intensity and the Full Circle climax is just amazing.  Should go down in history as one of the greats IMO.

I absolutely agree.  My #1 song of all-time.

It's my #2 DT song, and as to the bolded, I have always felt this way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2023, 11:31:43 AM »

That's a TAC-level hot-take.

Didn't make my top 20 either, by a long shot.  It's a very good song, but, for me, the intro is interminable, and while I've come to appreciate the thematic nature of the lyrics, I still find them too disjointed for my enjoyment. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2023, 11:44:29 AM »
Hot take: I actually DON"T like Octavarium the song like others do. I like sections of it, but overall I just skip it. The album itself without the title track is actually better for me. It still shows every side of Dream Theater. I usually go to the Score version of 8VM the song.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2023, 04:53:14 PM »
Hot take: I actually DON"T like Octavarium the song like others do. I like sections of it, but overall I just skip it. The album itself without the title track is actually better for me. It still shows every side of Dream Theater. I usually go to the Score version of 8VM the song.

Interesting take.  The album ending after Sacrificed Sons would leave me feeling.....weird.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »
I actually love the intro to 8V a lot, even with the obvious Floyd nod.  It's awesome on Score as well when Rudess extends it a little.

I guess the thing for me is I do not play the song often at all for two reasons: 1) I rarely listen to the Octavarium album, largely because there are no other songs on it I love, so nothing else draws me in to where I ended up listening to all of it, and 2) if I am doing random DT songs and want a super long song, why would I listen to Octavarium when I can listen to a much better song like A Change of Seasons?  Or I can knock out two long songs like Voices and Scarred (see: my two favorite DT songs) in just over 20 minutes.  :coolio :coolio

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2023, 05:03:51 PM »

I absolutely agree, as this is my #1 song of all times. But strangly enough this song took a long while to digest for me. And with each time I hear it, my adoration evolves. It's so complex and well-written, takes a whole journey to accomplish the depth. Daily Doug's reaction in Youtube helped me a great deal.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2023, 02:45:19 PM »

+1
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2023, 06:53:37 PM »
Dang, you guys put me in the mood to listen to Octavarium again, which is always a good mood to be in.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2023, 09:40:22 AM »
Didn't make my top 20 either, by a long shot.  It's a very good song, but, for me, the intro is interminable, and while I've come to appreciate the thematic nature of the lyrics, I still find them too disjointed for my enjoyment.

Yes to the bolded, and it's even worse on Score.  If there were only maybe 30 seconds of that nonsense, 8VM would be a lot closer to giving ACOS a run for its money as DT's best "epic" (but it's unquestionably a top 10 DT song).

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2023, 10:44:08 AM »
The intro isn't even that long. And with how good it is (in the studio version, anyways), it probably could have been a minute or two longer and I wouldn't mind.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline pg1067

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2023, 12:33:16 PM »
The intro isn't even that long. And with how good it is (in the studio version, anyways), it probably could have been a minute or two longer and I wouldn't mind.

It's exactly as long as it is:  3:48.  It's longer than 18 songs in the band's catalog (not including NOMAC instrumentals), most notably, Overture 1928, Wait for Sleep and The Silent Man.  And it feels like about 6:00.  If it were a minute or two longer, I might actually try to figure out how to make an edited version that omits the intro.  In fact, if someone would like to do that for me, I'll gladly mail you some Burger King coupons.   :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2023, 01:15:12 PM »

It's exactly as long as it is:  3:48.  It's longer than 18 songs in the band's catalog (not including NOMAC instrumentals), most notably, Overture 1928, Wait for Sleep and The Silent Man.  And it feels like about 6:00.  If it were a minute or two longer, I might actually try to figure out how to make an edited version that omits the intro.  In fact, if someone would like to do that for me, I'll gladly mail you some Burger King coupons.   :biggrin:

I'M ON IT! Though I always feel weird about using coupons at a fast food place. Like I am saying "Yes, I know I am cheap by walking in the door, but this just makes me look even cheaper."

I never thought the intro was anything but exactly how it should be. I recognized it is longer on Score, but at no point did I register it being too long. I thought it was a nice little addition for the live show.

Getting back to Kev's point of

I guess the thing for me is I do not play the song often at all for two reasons: 1) I rarely listen to the Octavarium album, largely because there are no other songs on it I love, so nothing else draws me in to where I ended up listening to all of it...

This thread prompted me to listen to this song a few days ago. Still loved it as much as I did since I first heard it. That prompted me to backtrack through the rest of the album - which I did, oddly, listening to the songs in reverse order. I knew I loved Root and Panic Attack, but enjoyed Never Enough and SS more than I thought I would. The other three I can do without.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2023, 04:18:55 PM »
I'M ON IT! Though I always feel weird about using coupons at a fast food place. Like I am saying "Yes, I know I am cheap by walking in the door, but this just makes me look even cheaper."

Every once in a while, I can manage to get a McDouble, fries and a drink from McDonald's for less than $4 on the app by using coupons.  I feel both proud and ashamed at the same time.   :biggrin:

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2023, 01:55:38 PM »
Love the song, intro and all. A real high spot for me from DT. Listen to it more than any other DT song, no contest, so I guess I should call it my favourite!

I also listen to TROAE, IWBY and PA off of the album quite often.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2023, 02:05:23 PM »
I love the song as well, but I hardly ever listen to the studio version anymore.  When I listen to it, it's the live version from SCORE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.