Author Topic: Scale the Summit  (Read 19300 times)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scale the Summit
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2013, 02:53:27 AM »
Seriously...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2013, 03:23:13 AM »
Are you sure he's actually that young and not one of those people who look teenager and are in fact 30ish due to some growth/ormone disorder? Because seriously, he's great!...  :omg:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline adace

« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »
Guys in the band are saying they made it to #131 on the charts, with 3,700 sold.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2013, 02:46:25 AM »
I heard one track off this album on Nick's radio last night, and two more that are upped by the label on youtube and I'm in love :lol I need more! What's a good place to start?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2013, 02:53:20 AM »
I heard one track off this album on Nick's radio last night, and two more that are upped by the label on youtube and I'm in love :lol I need more! What's a good place to start?
Just listen to The Migration.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »
Then The Collective. In fact, just go backwards.

Monument isn't "bad", but the guitar sounds so samey on every song that it gets bland quick. Best saved for last.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »
Finally picked up The Migration, and I can't wait to listen later.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
OH MY GOD THEY ARE SO FUCKING RADULAR LIVE

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »
OH MY GOD THEY ARE SO FUCKING RADULAR LIVE

Oh yeah man!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Limelight

« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2013, 04:56:57 AM »
I usually find instrumental metal albums quite boring, and I pretty much always find myself wanting vocals after a few tracks. I have to say though, The Migration is seriously kicking my ass, it's so good! Seems to be about the right length too for this kinda stuff.  :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »
So after spending a while listening to The Migration... I'd say The Collective is better. Heck, even Carving Desert Canyons. I don't know, this new one just feels like a step back. Still good though, but quite a few of the songs just feel like the directionless noodling they'd do a lot on the first two albums, instead of something that felt like it was fully realized. And there weren't really any moments that stuck out to me like the numerous ones on TC or the Glacial Planet solo on CDC.

To be fair though, it took me months to really get into The Collective, so this one may take a while to sink in too.

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
Ok so I've been listening to The Migration non-stop for about 2 weeks now. I've been following the band since Carving Desert Canyons came out (actually found out about them when they were participated in Progressive Nation). They're all amazing dudes (met them in 2010 when they were touring with Between The Buried And Me).

At this point, The Collective is probably one of my Top 10 favorite albums of all time. And I listen to a loooooot of music, like literally almost everything from hip-hop, jazz and electronic music to hardcore and progressive metal. Not even kidding about that record being this good. It just achieves a balance of technicality, darkness and emotion that a few other records do, in my opinion.

So obviously the bar was set pretty f'in high. The Migration is good but in my opinion not as good as The Collective. This doesn't mean it's not a good record. In fact, it's awesome and some songs are among their best. It's also funny because for many people "The Olive Tree" is the best song on the record while I can barely listen to it, it just sounds really forced to me and the thing with the volume pedal in the beginning just puts me off. It's the only song I skip constantly whenever I listen to the album. Anyway, that being said, "Atlas Novus" is so far the best track of this year for me while there are definitely some more "classics" on this one, most notably "Oracle" and "The Traveler". Overall, it's a very good album, just not as good as the previous one in my opinion.  ;D

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
Seeing these guys with Tesseract tonight in Brooklyn.  I was mostly going to see Tessseract, so I'm just starting to check out these guys on YouTube.  Good stuff! 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:59:43 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
They're fantastic live, saw them with Intronaut.
Have fun man!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2013, 08:56:14 AM »
They're fantastic live, saw them with Intronaut.
Have fun man!

Wow, you weren't kidding.  Fantastic.  I bought the album at the show.  I was fucking blown away.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline adace

« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2014, 10:42:51 PM »
From Chris' FB:
Officially started tracking guitars for my jazz-ish all clean instrumental album! Will have more info and updates on who will be playing on it in 2 weeks! Stoked to show you guys what I have been writing!
:metal

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »
Sick, can't wait for that.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline adace

« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
From FB:
Solo album is finished! The talent I had play on this record is incredible. Everyone added so many amazing elements I never thought of. Had a blast making it and cant wait to share it with the world!

The line-up:
Guitar: Chris Letchford
Bass: Evan Brewerwer (4 songs)
Bass: Mark Michell (6 songs)
Drums: Steven Carlos Padin (The Reign of Kindo)
Piano: Danny Pizarro (The Reign Of Kindo)(6 songs)
Piano: Steven Padin (4 songs)

"LIGHTBOX" will be out July 15th.

Track Listing:
1. The Star Boys
2. Earthen
3. Sign Of Four
4. Zodiac
5. Rayless
6. In Force
7. Piedra Falls
8. Pearl
9. Ghost Orchid
10. The Gentlemen

First single coming next week! Can't wait for you guys to hear it so keep an eye out.

Pre-order now at: www.chrisletchfordstore.com

Offline adace

« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »
A track from Chris' solo album is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUqX1r7Ezgs

Offline adace

« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »
I saw Scale the Summit a few weeks ago in NY.  It's the third or fourth time I've seen them in the past year.  They've really played here a lot.  Anyway, having seen them to much now, I started to wonder why the bassist is center stage and Chris is positioned off to the side.  From my perspective, he seems to be "the guy" in STS and is marketed more than any other band member.  He has a solo album, guitar books, YouTube videos, etc.  If you ask me, it makes sense for him to be center stage instead of the bassist.  I get that they want to book-end the two guitarists on stage, but if the band is going to market Chris to such a degree then he should be front and center, in my opinion.  Anyone agree/disagree?

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
I saw Scale the Summit a few weeks ago in NY.  It's the third or fourth time I've seen them in the past year.  They've really played here a lot.  Anyway, having seen them to much now, I started to wonder why the bassist is center stage and Chris is positioned off to the side.  From my perspective, he seems to be "the guy" in STS and is marketed more than any other band member.  He has a solo album, guitar books, YouTube videos, etc.  If you ask me, it makes sense for him to be center stage instead of the bassist.  I get that they want to book-end the two guitarists on stage, but if the band is going to market Chris to such a degree then he should be front and center, in my opinion.  Anyone agree/disagree?

In an Instrumental band, does that really matter?

Their setup to me it makes sense, guitar is at both left and right, bass and drums in the middle, it makes for a good sonic sound.

They all move on stage, it's not like they are stuck in that spot and can't move around.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
In an Instrumental band, does that really matter?

I suppose not.  I think it came to mind after seeing Animals as Leaders and noticing Tobin was front and center.  Made me wonder why STS doesn't do it, since Chris seems to play most of the solos and is the main guy.  He stayed off to the side at all three shows I saw.  Not a big deal, just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:48:52 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2014, 05:14:30 PM »
So I listened to The Migration recently and was completely blown away. One of the best instrumental albums I've ever heard.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2014, 03:14:34 AM »
Dude that's so 2013.

Just kidding, The Migration is fantastic. Thanks to you for posting it on Facebook yesterday, I listened to the album again and was reminded again of its brilliance.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2014, 06:09:19 AM »
Dude that's so 2013.

Just kidding, The Migration is fantastic. Thanks to you for posting it on Facebook yesterday, I listened to the album again and was reminded again of its brilliance.

Dude, this is incredible for me. Ususally I'm something like 5 years behind everyone else. I'm gaining ground! :lol

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »
I got to shoot them again in Calgary not too long ago. Thought you guys might want to see some of my work!

Yes Mark's bass lights up  ;D

Offline adace

« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2015, 09:42:20 PM »
According to their FB post, StS will begin recording their 5th album this Wednesday! Can't wait!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »
From their FB page yesterday:
An update...we have parted ways with our drummer Pat Skeffington. Pat is a fantastic drummer and will be greatly missed. We wish him the absolute best in the future!
Moving forward, we’d like to officially welcome J.C. Bryant as the new drummer for Scale The Summit. We just finished drum tracking for the new album this past weekend and can’t wait for everyone to hear the songs! Get excited! New album coming SUMMER 2015!

Is Scale the Summit just slowly becoming Tetrafusion?  :lol That two times now that a band member has left and been replaced by someone in Tetrafusion.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »
Pat and I were good buddies, so I'm majorly bummed. But JC seems to kill it so I hope he brings his A game to this album and fills Pat's shoes nicely!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2015, 10:23:58 PM »
From their Facebook again:
Our new shreddin' album will be titled "V", due out this summer via Prosthetic Records. We wrapped up the recording process a few days ago and now will have the amazing Jamie King mix this bad boy. Can't put into words how excited we are about this material! Artwork reveal coming soon!

I think this will make about five or six bands in my collection that have titled their fifth album V.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2015, 10:53:28 PM »
Haha, I was thinking the same thing when I saw that update. Looking forward to the album though, the last one was incredible!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2015, 11:20:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5qQtUg9EY

DAT Low End. Aaaaaaaa~
Dat everything else  oooooooo~

Also at 2:00 I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. Hyped beyond belief for this album.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2015, 06:52:10 PM »
Album art revealed.