Author Topic: H's song roulette, version 2  (Read 9219 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: H's song roulette, version 2
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
Oh and it case it isn't clear - the better of your two songs will be chosen.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 07:22:27 PM »
Oh.  I probably should have realized that, but, I didn't.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
Didn't realize it because it was never stated  :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »
Still missing Scorpion.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2013, 12:54:38 AM »
Bumping. 

Still waiting on Scorpion, or...?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2013, 01:15:28 AM »
He got it to me, you can expect results tomorrow!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2013, 01:51:56 AM »
:caffeine:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
Update on results...I figured out the scores for everything but I'm having trouble picking a best song so I want to do another listen-through. My family and I are actually on a camping trip right now and it's making streaming really difficult. Sorry for the delay but it will be a couple days.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
I hope the trouble is there are so many good songs that you can't decide which one you like most.  As opposed to them all being so bad that you can't decide which one you dislike least.   :lol

Anyway, take your time.  Thanks for the update. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2013, 11:16:14 PM »
Not trying to be a roulette police, but how long will this take?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »
Oh, sometime by December.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
First, I have to apologize for taking so long with this round. Had this not been the semi-final round, I would have called it off. But life happened. I started a very busy job which has been sucking the days away. So I apologize.

On to results:

Scorpion - Buckethead - "Hills of Eternity", and Evergrey - "Recreation Day"

Buckethead was pleasant, but I wasn't exactly blown away by it. It was too generic. Evergrey was a much better submission choice. Very lively, upbeat, and surprisingly cheerful heavy metal song. I don't always dig the Swedish metal stuff, but this was pretty good. 3 points.

lonestar - AzaZello - "Carnal Caravan", and IQ - "Frequency"

AzaZello was pretty sweet. I sort of stray away from prog these days, but this still maintained my interest beginning to finish. What's great is that IQ was even better. It ends a bit too anticlimactically, but overall it was a very well-structured song. I definitely liked the mood they set. 4 points.

Jaffa - Arcade Fire - "City With No Children", and Meat Loaf - "The Monster Is Loose"

Arcade Fire was a nice, brief little song. Didn't blow me away but it had no real flaws either. Overall a safe choice. Meat Loaf was very impressive, although the quality of sound in the video was rather poor (or maybe it's my new headphones). I greatly enjoyed it. It started strong and ended strong. 4 points.

Destiny of Chaos - Redemption - "The Suffocating Silence", and Aerosmith - "Kings And Queens"

Redemption didn't impress me, I'm sorry to say. It just wasn't my thing. I've never been much into that "driving" metal style. Aerosmith was better, though it wasn't the best I've heard from them. Overall, I hate to say it but your submissions were just too safe. 2 points.

theseoafs - Queen and David Bowie - "Under Pressure", and Yes - "And You And I"

You sent me two other, absolutely mindblowing, 10/10 songs: "God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys, and "American Pie" by Don McLean. Those would have easily won you the round had I not known them well enough already. They're two of my favorite songs, in fact. :lol But as for the songs you submit, Queen was definitely better. I always knew the main riff of "Under Pressure" but I never knew what the song was called or who wrote it. Now I do. 4 points.

Now I have to decide who won the round. It's between "Under Pressure", "The Monster Is Loose", and "Frequency".

And the winner is...

theseoafs, with "Under Pressure" by Queen! Congrats, you've earned yourself a free pass to the final round!

And congratulations, too, to Jaffa! You've placed first in points so you're also in the final round!

Semi-final rankings:

Jaffa – 22 points
lonestar - 18 points
Scorpion - 16 points
Destiny of Chaos - 11 points
Theseoafs – 0 points

All right, Jaffa and theseoafs, in the final round, send me the most favorite song of yours that I haven't heard of. Send me a few backups just in case. And if you don't have favorites, just send some really killer track. Good luck to both of you!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
Sweet!  Glad you liked the Meat Loaf song, H! 

As soon as I read that whoever submitted the best song this round would automatically move on to the finals, I had a feeling theseoafs was going to pull it off.  Nice job, dude.  Under Pressure was a hell of a pick.  Especially given then you were... well, under pressure.  Anyway, great comeback! 

Can't believe I'm in the finals here.  Any deadline on submissions?  I'll try to be quick, but it could take me a bit to think of some suitably awesome songs.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
Fuck yeah, I knew some song in that batch had to be good enough to get me to the finals :lol  I'm afraid I may have blown my load, though, since I sent in 4 of my very favorite songs all in one go (and got confirmation that you're already familiar with two of them).  Let me have a look.  Best of luck Jaffa.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
Best of luck to you as well.   :tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »
I'm not setting a particular deadline but we do need to wrap this roulette up since it's taken almost a month. :)

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
Oh fuck, I think I know what I'm sending.  Hopefully H likes this one as much as I do.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »
I'm not setting a particular deadline but we do need to wrap this roulette up since it's taken almost a month. :)

Okay, cool.  I do have one other quick question while I'm deciding what to send.  In your post, you said we should aim to send you something you've never heard of.  Do you mean that literally, as in we should send something from an artist you've never even heard of?  Or just a song you're not familiar with?  Just checking. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »
If he's not supposed to have heard of the artist then I might have to rethink all of the 4 songs I threw at him :lol
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:45:35 PM by theseoafs »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2013, 02:05:59 AM »
Nah, just as long as I don't know the song. :)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »
Alright, cool.  That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure.  I sent four songs, too.  I'm not supremely confident about any of them, but I haven't been supremely confident about any of this, and it's worked out pretty well.  So we'll see how it goes. 

Also, I wanted to thank you for inviting me to participate in this, H.  It's been fun.  :)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »
I'm confident about exactly one of my submissions.  The rest, I think, are a toss-up.

Also, bump.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2013, 12:07:12 PM »
Bringing this back to page one.   :D
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2013, 12:08:31 PM »
Okay, come on, H.  Let's get this show on the road.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »
You guys gave me four songs each. I had to first figure out what was the best submission from each of you, and then determine a winner between the two of you. And now I've got a winner. But first, a word to each of you.

theseoafs -

You started in this roulette as a fine young man. You had your failings, but you pulled yourself out of the mud. Round Five saw an incredible comeback, as you went from having 0 points to becoming a contender in the final round.

Jaffa -

I never doubted you for a second, and you've delivered every step of the way. Your performance in this roulette has been stellar, and you've surprised me with how good some of your submissions turned out to be. I had a hunch you'd make it to the final round from the get go. I'm happy it turned out that way. (And no, I didn't let that influence my decisions. ;) )

Now we'll turn to the songs of the final round!

theseoafs, your submissions all revolved around classic rock hits. You gave me "Goodbye Stranger" by Supertramp, "Nightswimming" by R.E.M., and "Last Dance" by Donna Summer. Now, I know those songs (some better than others). They're all terrific, 8/10's or better. But the best song you gave me was "The Last Resort" by The Eagles.

I must confess, I've never been an Eagles guy. I don't get "Hotel California" or "Take It Easy" or...well, that's pretty much all I knew by them before now. :lol So I was skeptical when I saw an Eagles song in your list. I thought it was going to be a snoozefest after I saw that it exceeded the 7-minute mark. How pleasantly surprised I was to be wrong!

"The Last Resort" blew me away, to put it simply. I've always been a fan of apocalyptic songs (if that makes sense), so this really hit the nail on the head in that respect. I was literally captivated by everything in the song - the music, the mood, the lyrics. Heck, the lyrics were sheer poetry. Songs like these tell a story about the state we human beings find ourselves in. theseoafs, you've won yourself an Eagles convert!

Jaffa, you sent me four songs as well. Two of the songs were killer and would have guaranteed your victory...but I knew them already. Those were "Cemetery Gates" by Pantera and "Fly Like An Eagle" by The Steve Miller Band. 10/10 songs, both of them. But I know them all too well.

The other two songs you gave me were Muse's "Hysteria" and Deep Purple's "Strangeways". I've heard loads about Muse but I never bothered to check them out. "Hysteria" is their most popular song, and I must say, it wasn't my cup of tea. I knew it before, and it still just didn't do anything for me. So I'm going to judge Deep Purple.

You're very fortunate, then, that the song I didn't know was so good. Literally this head made my head spin. I don't know if you would call it "prog" (I personally have a hard time identifying what counts as prog) but it was something you could see a non-metal Dream Theater putting out. Technical rhythms, instrumental wackiness, all around craziness. When I finished listening, I was just like WTF, in a good way. Golden submission.

Now it is time to reveal the winner.

And the winner is....

theseoafs! Congratulations, friend!

It was such a close bout. I kept going back in forth in my head as to who should win the round. But after listening to each song several times, I finally came to a decision. But trust me when I say that it was so close.

Thanks everyone for participating! Sorry about the delays. I hope you had fun! Thanks to all of you, I have some great new music under my belt. :hat

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
Ha, of course the two songs I was most confident about would be the ones you already knew.   :lol  At least I was right in thinking you would like them, though!  And I'm not surprised that Muse isn't your cup of tea; as I said in my submission message, Muse are one of my favorite bands, so it didn't feel like to leave them out of this, but I knew Hysteria was a gamble.  Anyway, glad you liked Strangeways!

Also, coincidentally, I almost sent an Eagles songs myself... but it wasn't The Last Resort, and you probably wouldn't have liked it as much as The Last Resort, by the sound of things.   :lol

But enough about me.  Congratulations, theseoafs!  :clap:

Actually, I applaud everybody who participated.  There were some absolutely amazing songs in this thing. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:35:33 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2013, 09:38:31 PM »
Whooooo!! :metal :metal :metal

Great job, everyone.  Big thanks go to Under Pressure and The Last Resort, which were the only songs I submitted that H really liked :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »
If I'm gonna lose, losing to Queen and the Eagles is a pretty damn good way to lose. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2013, 10:12:20 PM »
The Last Resort is amazing. Oddly enough, I had for the first time about a week ago.