Author Topic: H's song roulette, version 2  (Read 9101 times)

Offline Ħ

H's song roulette, version 2
« on: July 27, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
There will be 5 rounds and 5 competitors. PM me your first song if you want in. First come first serve. There's no category for round one.

I don't listen to that much music so it's unlikely you'll choose something I'm familiar with, but if you do I'll let you know.

Begin!  :yarr

Competitors:
Jaffa
Scorpion
theseoafs
Destiny Of Chaos
lonestar
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:43:54 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: H's song roulette, version 2
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 03:00:42 PM »
Well that was fast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
Jaffa and Scorpion are in so far. Need 3 more.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »
What the hell, sending  a song now...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 03:43:24 PM »
Theseoafs, Destiny of Chaos, and lonestar are in! Results will be up by tomorrow! Thanks everyone for being so fast.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »
Dang it, too late.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 03:45:52 PM »
My first time doing one of these.  Pretty sure I'm going to fail spectacularly.  Everyone else on this forum knows so much more music than I do.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »
H, I'm not sure if we have anything in common musically, so I'm also expecting failure.  :lol

Shameless plug for my concurrent roulette.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 03:52:56 PM »
That's two out of five entrants expecting to fail so far.  Should be fun.

Oh, and good luck, everybody. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:05:25 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »
Shit I accidentally sent. Ignore me.  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
I've never done this either.... expecting to fail miserably as well.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 04:33:34 PM »
So a majority of the contestants are expecting failure.  Good.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
I'll be pretty surprised if I get through the first round, to be honest. 

But I'm still looking forward to this.  Thanks for the invitation, H.   :metal
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
If you expect to fail, you're already halfway there.

I personally expect to be bathing in the tears of failure shed by my competitors at the end of this. :RJ:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 12:14:55 AM »
That doesn't sound very hygienic. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
Jaffa – Fear Factory – "Supernova"

An okay song. I like what they are going for, but it sounds a bit generic. Maybe that’s because sonically, it’s not great. I’d be interested in hearing a remastered version. They could do awesome things with those harmonies. 2 points

Scorpion – Diablo Swing Orchestra - "Tap Dancer’s Dilemma"

Someone sent me this song for my first roulette. I hated it. My tastes have obviously changed. This song is something else. I honestly haven’t heard anything quite like it, but I dig the swing and virtuosity. It’s a little bit too creepy and demonic sounding for my tastes (those vocals give me chills) but I can appreciate it. 3 points

theseoafs – Ange – "Le bois travaille meme le dimanche"

Tu parle francais? Je l’ai etudie depuis quatre ans. Mais je ne comprends pas beaucoup de mots de ce chanson. :lol But it’s pretty cool. Beautiful vocals. Solid prog. Really weird. I only gave it one listen because it was so long, but it was really interesting. 3 points

Destiny of Chaos – Therion – "The Rise of Sodom and Gomorra"

A swing and a miss with choosing Therion. I really don’t like this stuff. Stay away from the symphonic metal please. 1 point

lonestar - The Omega Experiment – "Stimulus"

Not my thing, sir. I don’t jive well with this type of genre. You’ll succeed in this contest if you go with something a little more classical (either classic rock or classic metal). 1 point

Scoring is at a total of 4 points. At the end of each round, the best submission gets extra points corresponding to the round it is. So for round one, the best submission gets 1 bonus point, for round two, the best submission gets 2 bonus points, etc.

The best submission for Round One is...................Scorpion with the Diablo Swing Orchestra's "Tap Dancer's Dilemma"! Congrats, you get an extra point!

Scorpion - 4
theseoafs - 3
Jaffa - 2
Destiny Of Chaos - 1
lonestar - 1

The theme for Round Two is that it has to be classic rock. I don't care if it's mainstream, odds are I don't know it anyway. If I do, I'll let you know. Don't send a song longer than 10 minutes please.

Round Two, begin!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 10:20:40 AM »
Whoo!  :metal

Explain this to me:  how did I end up with 4 points?  3 points for the song + 0 points for the end-of-round bonus = 4 points?

The theme for Round Two is that it has to be classic rock. I don't care if it's mainstream, odds are I don't know it anyway. If I do, I'll let you know. Don't send a song longer than 10 minutes please.

Oh, fuck yes.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
I fixed that. Originally, I was going to make it out of 5 points, so I gave you a 4 in my notes. Then I decided to make it out of 4 points, so I lowered everyone's points by one. So your score is a 3/4. :)

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
Took a chance on some true, straight-up classic radio rock this time around.  Hopefully I won't drop in the rankings as a result.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »
 :(

Hmmmmm...

*takes gloves off*

I'll send something after work...

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
Classic rock... Hmm.  Gonna have to think about this one for a little while.  I'll submit something later today.  :)

EDIT: Actually, sent. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:26:05 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »
Sent yo...

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »
Has everybody sent?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 08:52:53 PM »
Everyone's in, gonna get it up tomorrow! Stay tuned..

Offline Ħ

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 12:50:46 AM »
Scorpion - Led Zeppelin - "Immigrant Song"

Astounding. Zeppelin never fails. I've heard it before of course, but damn, it really blows you away when you intentionally turn your ears on to actually listen to it. 4 points

theseoafs - Chicago - "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"

Really solid, I hadn't heard it before. I love this stuff. Unfortunately, it didn't blow me away like some of the other stuff this round. Really solid jazz/rock/whatever-the-genre-is-called, though. 3 points

Jaffa - Blue Oyster Colt - "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"

What a track, simply fantastic. Dat cowbell. Obviously I've heard it before but, with lots of classic rock songs, I neither know the name of the song or band, or all the little intricacies. I particularly never really noticed that heavy instrumental section in the middle which kicks butt. Great song choice. 4 points

Destiny Of Chaos - Boston - "Foreplay/Long Time"

I could easily see Boston rising into my top 5 bands if I checked them out more. Well, to summarize my thoughts on the album, I'll quote Sid Storms from the youtube video comments:

This is the best song ever, I can't describe my love for it. If this album/song was a women I would marry it. Because if you transfer this music into beauty than if this song was a women, it would the most beautiful woman on the planet. If you turn this music into a person, it would be the best person ever. If you transfer it into anything that is good other than music, it will be the best at it.

Bravo! 4 points

lonestar - TRIUMPH - "Lay It On The Line"

Holy crap. Another killer submission this round. Pretty heavy too. 4 points

OK so with that out of the way, I'll announce that the winner of Round Two is......Destiny of Chaos with Boston! Congrats, you get 2 bonus points.

Scorpion - 8
Destiny Of Chaos - 7
theseoafs - 6
Jaffa - 6
lonestar - 5

With that, everyone is looking pretty good. Remember there are 3 bonus points for the winner of Round Three.

Speaking of Round Three, the theme is REALLY METAL. You have to get me pumped. If I'm not that pumped by what you send, you automatically get a 2. I'm serious.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 01:03:57 AM »
Four 4s and a 3?  Hell of a round.  Nice work everybody!

Gonna have to think about round three for a little while.  Is there a submission deadline for this round?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 01:08:21 AM »
Just sometime soon. No rush.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 01:48:25 AM »
That's about as solid a group of songs as one could get in a round, damn man.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 03:20:51 AM »
Yes! Thank you Boston!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 09:03:16 AM »
That's about as solid a group of songs as one could get in a round, damn man.

Seriously. 

I'll bet you had a lot of fun judging that round, H.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
Damn, I was this close to sending in Foreplay/Long Time. :lol  Good work everybody, that was an awesome round.

EDIT... And sent for the next round.  Hopefully H doesn't know this one, because I'm pretty confident it could take the prize next time.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:33:11 AM by theseoafs »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »
Sent bud  :tup

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Sent.  I have a feeling a made a pretty huge misstep with this one, but we'll see how it goes. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »
BRUTAL submissions so far, but I'm not done yet. I'll get it finished in the next three days.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 06:08:53 PM »
Three days?  Damn.