Author Topic: The science and nature thread v. We tried this before  (Read 63317 times)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Re: The science and nature thread v. We tried this before
« Reply #385 on: July 15, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
I have no idea if it would actually work, but it seems like it could be a decent middle ground between those wanting to destroy the ''Big industries'' and those who want to keep the status quo.

I think for me, it is imperative we break the paradigms of "destroy" and "status quo".  I want neither.  I don't want "status quo" any more than I want to drive energy prices through the roof by putting the oil companies out of business.  That's the old way - or rather, the advocacy way - of thinking.   I am more than happy to buy my (future) solar panels from Exxon.  Or buy my mini-packaged nuclear reactor from Shell.    Sure, some companies will only go kicking and screaming, and that's on them.  But the smart ones are going to go in the direction where it makes the most sense to make the most money for the longest period of time.  It's that simple.  Corporations are like puppies; they are predictable and they are compliant, IF you know the right way of motivating their behavior.  Continually "attacking" them and "browbeating" them on moral terms is not the way to do it.  Never was, and never will be.

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea I was trying to get across. Thank you for putting it out more clearly that I could ever have  :)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #386 on: July 16, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
I am more than happy to buy my (future) solar panels from Exxon.

I find this a weird notion to entertain. To my understanding, Exxon has no ambitions in terms of renewables, and even if they did, they'd be decades behind the curve of China etc.
if you want solar panels, it's 99% certain it'll have the label "Made in China" on it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »
I am more than happy to buy my (future) solar panels from Exxon.

I find this a weird notion to entertain. To my understanding, Exxon has no ambitions in terms of renewables, and even if they did, they'd be decades behind the curve of China etc.
if you want solar panels, it's 99% certain it'll have the label "Made in China" on it.

They have no ambitions because right now, ROI is not anywhere where it should be for a company that entertains the level of risk an Exxon does.  But these things aren't static.   You won't be able to sell panels in the States to any government agency or under any government funded program that are wholly "Made In China" (it's called "Buy America"), so there will be a market once the market matures enough to support it.  Exxon is not going to just close it's doors and say "oh well, we had a good run!" if and when the total lifecycle cost of renewables (including R&D) drop low enough.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
That's all super pie in the sky. It's much more likely that Exxon will slowly fade away, with foreign renewables producers undercutting their revenue. And from personal experience with the gov't, it is a total myth that the gov't can't buy foreign products. It just takes more paperwork. Or, (which I've seen firsthand), the gov't buys from a domestic reseller who marks it up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: July 16, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »
That's all super pie in the sky. It's much more likely that Exxon will slowly fade away, with foreign renewables producers undercutting their revenue. And from personal experience with the gov't, it is a total myth that the gov't can't buy foreign products. It just takes more paperwork. Or, (which I've seen firsthand), the gov't buys from a domestic reseller who marks it up.

I'm well aware of the process for doing business with the government.  I'm counsel for a billion dollar business that sells almost exclusively to the US government under various rail programs (this includes regional transit authorities using grant money from the US government), and before that I was counsel for a company that did environmental construction projects for the DoD and EPA.  There are plenty of ways to do it, but they all cost money, not all of it recoupable through margin.  But even with that, who do you think that "domestic reseller" is going to be?

The bottom line is, and I will bet you on it, is that Exxon is not "fading away".  If nothing else, they have a fiduciary duty to their stockholders, and if the US government is smart (I know, I know, that IS pie in the sky) they won't be able to continue what little fossil fuel business they do have if they don't participate in broader energy programs.  They may not literally sell solar panels in five years, but they are not going anywhere.  "AT&T".  "IBM".   Two companies that have survived (and thrived) after similar transcendent shifts in the nature of the economy.  You will be adding Exxon to that list before too long. 

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #390 on: July 22, 2015, 06:39:29 AM »
How might you convey the age of the earth to a 4 year old?  They barely know what 100 is, so I guess it would be pretty difficult.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: July 22, 2015, 07:12:47 AM »
How might you convey the age of the earth to a 4 year old?  They barely know what 100 is, so I guess it would be pretty difficult.

Well, I found visual means were best with my daughter.  I would probably try to do something like "Hey, here are four jelly beans, that's YOUR age, and here are 10,000 jelly beans, that's the EARTH'S age". 

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #392 on: July 22, 2015, 07:13:49 AM »

Even now in my twenties I have a hard time wrapping my head around how old the earth is. So yeah, good luck with that  :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #393 on: July 22, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »

Well, I found visual means were best with my daughter.  I would probably try to do something like "Hey, here are four jelly beans, that's YOUR age, and here are 10,000 jelly beans, that's the EARTH'S age".

You'd need 4.6 billion jelly beans.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #394 on: July 22, 2015, 07:21:44 AM »

You'd need 4.6 billion jelly beans.

October 31 Breaking news:
''Yesterday multiple candy shops around the country have been robbed. However the thieves didn't touch the money. All they seemed to be interested in was the jellybeans. We estimate the total amount of stolen candies to be around 4.6 billions. The police have no suspect for now, but we will keep you informed as more details come in.''

Offline jasc15

« Reply #395 on: July 22, 2015, 07:41:15 AM »
Jelly beans aren't a bad idea.  If they are about 1 cc in volume, 4.6 billion of them would fill about 7 or 8 houses.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #396 on: July 22, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »
Jelly beans aren't a bad idea.  If they are about 1 cc in volume, 4.6 billion of them would fill about 7 or 8 houses.

You aren't accounting for the weight of the jelly beans. I did some research and 240 jelly beans weigh one pound.

4.6 billion jelly beans = 19,166,667 pounds

Assuming 8 houses, each house would have 2,395,833 pounds worth of jelly beans in them.

In the interest of safety, you will need more houses.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #397 on: July 22, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »
Nice little video about diffrent types of fuel and if they're flameable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10C7FSbE&ab_channel=JustThink

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #398 on: July 22, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »

Secretly hoping that it wasn't a young-Earth post, your analogy still leaves the child with the problem that 10,000 is way beyond comprehension for a 4-year old.

Maybe a better way of going about it is "if you squeezed your life into one second, then Earth was created 30 years ago". Both a second and a year is something a child understands.

EDIT: Alternatively, show her the Carl Sagan episode where he talks about the calendar of the universe.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: July 23, 2015, 05:40:46 AM »
It was a joke cast out into a thread where there is zero sense of humor. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #400 on: July 23, 2015, 05:55:32 AM »
It was a joke cast out into a thread where there is zero sense of humor.

We have a sense of humor. I'll demonstrate.

Two atoms are walking along. One of them says:
“Oh, no, I think I lost an electron.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, I’m positive.

Why can’t atheists solve exponential equations? Because they don’t believe in higher powers.

Schrodinger’s cat walks into a bar. And doesn’t.

Thank you. I'll be here all week.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:09:53 AM by Chino »

Offline jasc15

« Reply #401 on: July 23, 2015, 07:04:18 AM »
Maybe a better way of going about it is "if you squeezed your life into one second, then Earth was created 30 years ago". Both a second and a year is something a child understands.

EDIT: Alternatively, show her the Carl Sagan episode where he talks about the calendar of the universe.
I think even those two things might be too much of an abstraction for a 4 year old.  Physically seeing a quantity of something might be better:

Here's you: 4 jelly beans.
Here's me: 32 jelly beans.
Here's earth: 8 houses full of jelly beans.

Someone who knows something about kids should chime in here.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #402 on: July 23, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »
Physical exertion. "One step is your life time. Now run the Earth's age, I'll tell you when to stop."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: July 23, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »

I think even those two things might be too much of an abstraction for a 4 year old.  Physically seeing a quantity of something might be better:

Here's you: 4 jelly beans.
Here's me: 32 jelly beans.
Here's earth: 8 houses full of jelly beans.

Someone who knows something about kids should chime in here.

Seeing as I offered up the jelly bean metaphor to start with, I think you nailed it.   Unfortunately, I need 47 beans (at that isn't "Young Earth" thinking. ;0 ).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #404 on: July 23, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »
Physical exertion. "One step is your life time. Now run the Earth's age, I'll tell you when to stop."

:lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #405 on: July 23, 2015, 01:33:39 PM »
I'm glad I live close to the Pacific Science Center.   They have illustrations made just for kids to show this kindof stuff.   

At one point, they had a very long line laid out on the floor showing the age of the universe.   The earth's history was laid out in a small band at the end, and human history had an arrow pointing to a line the width of a human hair.    Kids get the point pretty quickly.     I used to take my kids to the science center nearly every month when they were young.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #406 on: July 23, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »
I'm glad I live close to the Pacific Science Center.   They have illustrations made just for kids to show this kindof stuff.   

At one point, they had a very long line laid out on the floor showing the age of the universe.   The earth's history was laid out in a small band at the end, and human history had an arrow pointing to a line the width of a human hair.    Kids get the point pretty quickly.     I used to take my kids to the science center nearly every month when they were young.

I work within walking distance of the Connecticut Science Center. I get free entry with my work ID. I got there on lunch breaks some times.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #407 on: July 23, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »
Boston's Museum of Science has a a model of the sun in its center. What's really cool is, the other planets are strewn, to scale, around the Greater Boston area.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #408 on: July 25, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »
That's really cool. Is there a map or where the planets are?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #409 on: July 25, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »
Boston's Museum of Science has a a model of the sun in its center. What's really cool is, the other planets are strewn, to scale, around the Greater Boston area.

Sweden has an awesome model like that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_Solar_System
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #410 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:17 AM »
https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/genetic/gmo-rice-methane-0523564/

Following a three-year-long trial in the rice of fields of China, scientists report a new genetically modified strain that promises to dramatically reduce the otherwise huge carbon footprint of rice farming. The new GMO crop emits only 1% of the methane – a highly potent greenhouse gas – that an unaltered rice paddies leaches out into the atmosphere

Read more: https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/genetic/gmo-rice-methane-0523564/#ixzz3hCHQWple

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #411 on: July 28, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but this literally made me sick to my stomach with anger. What the fuck is wrong with people and why do they feel the urge to go and kill shit for no reason other than to satisfy their egos?  I hope he gets what he deserves. Seriously humans piss me off. Oh, and if anyone is interested a quick google search can get you his email...

https://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/07/28/american-dentist-said-to-have-paid-55000-to-kill-cecil-lion/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #412 on: July 28, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »
I don't see what that has to do with science (but the link has the word science in it, so I'm questioning them, not you).
Oh wait, this is apparently for nature too.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:25:35 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #413 on: July 28, 2015, 10:37:44 AM »
This is cool.

https://www.popsci.com/you-can-soon-buy-rings-cufflinks-made-smog

Once you suck smog out of the air, what should you do with it? Pollution particles are mostly made up of carbon, so Dutch Artist Daan Roosegaarde decided to compress them into jewelry in a nod to diamond, carbon's sparkliest allotrope.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: July 28, 2015, 11:21:18 AM »
Travel at light-speed from the Sun to Jupiter

I actually watched the whole thing. Spoiler alert: Make a sandwich and get a drink.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2015, 12:57:45 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but this literally made me sick to my stomach with anger. What the fuck is wrong with people and why do they feel the urge to go and kill shit for no reason other than to satisfy their egos?  I hope he gets what he deserves. Seriously humans piss me off. Oh, and if anyone is interested a quick google search can get you his email...

https://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/07/28/american-dentist-said-to-have-paid-55000-to-kill-cecil-lion/

The guy's website is down and his business is getting hammered on Yelp

https://www.yelp.com/biz/palmer-walter-j-dntst-minneapolis

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
that yelp link may have some NSFW material in some of the "reviews".  I saw something that looked questionable and immediately closed the window.  Click at your own risk.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #417 on: July 28, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »
Travel at light-speed from the Sun to Jupiter

I actually watched the whole thing. Spoiler alert: Make a sandwich and get a drink.
While cool for scale, I thought it was going to show us the visual affects of special relativity. :(

...ok, I found something. Read about it, but never thought to look for a demonstration before.

https://www.snotr.com/video/8149/Optical_effects_of_travelling_close_to_the_speed_of_light

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: July 28, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »

The guy's website is down and his business is getting hammered on Yelp

https://www.yelp.com/biz/palmer-walter-j-dntst-minneapolis

And I'm sure many feel that's a good thing.   If he did something illegal, let the courts decide.  Until they do, this is mob rules.   :tdwn

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #419 on: July 28, 2015, 06:04:55 PM »
Why are you giving the thumbs down to people voicing their discontent on a site specifically meant for that purpose?
How is it different from people writing a review saying "guy was a jerk when I was there, will never go there again"? Here it is "guy is morally despicable, will never go there again".