Author Topic: The science and nature thread v. We tried this before  (Read 63297 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The science and nature thread v. We tried this before
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2014, 05:58:38 AM »
I actually found most interesting the sound it made. I would expect an eruption sound to be a prolonged rumble, but I never expected this sharp SMACK! sound.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »
All these years of seeing the granite cut of the highway here in NH, I finally saw the process and it is amazing how they break down the rock to make a flat wall and you're right about the sound.  It's a large smack when they break the rocks into smaller pieces.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2014, 01:53:17 PM »
I actually found most interesting the sound it made. I would expect an eruption sound to be a prolonged rumble, but I never expected this sharp SMACK! sound.
I think not all eruptions make that sound. This particular one did because it was an actual explosion, because the magma had nowhere to go.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »
That reminds me of an AMAZING episode of Macgyver, called "Trumbo's World", where Macgyver has to fight an army of killer ants that can kill and eat people very quickly. The episode is basically stock footage of ants mixed with people screaming. I'd highly recommend it. :lol

You know, for science.

I think that's that last episode of MacGyver I ever saw, and the only one I remember.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline jasc15

« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »
https://www.nowykurier.com/toys/gravity/gravity.html

This is so much fun.

That's sick

I'm trying to make a sun-earth-moon system, but my moon keeps flying into the sun, or off into space.

Edit: It would be nice to enter numerical values for speed, rather than just vector lengths.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:40:54 PM by jasc15 »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #252 on: September 08, 2014, 03:21:24 PM »
That is sweet.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jasc15

« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »
Square orbit!

Offline jasc15

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »
Wow. That's freaking wild.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
^ That. Pretty amazing stuff. Slightly unnerving and creepy too, looking at that picture.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2014, 10:00:47 PM »
^ That. Pretty amazing stuff. Slightly unnerving and creepy too, looking at that picture.

Creepy was my first thought. I didn't even know it was possible for someone to be born and survive without a cerebellum, however rare, let alone go this long without realizing.
The human body is a weird and wonderful and weird thing. Yes, weird was needed twice.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »
God fuckin' damn it..  :'( :'( :'( :'(

That's amazing though, I thought the first picture of him was the most recent and when I read that he lived three entire years without a brain, I was stunned. It's heart crushing though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #260 on: September 12, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »
That's crazy. I have a question though. The article said "Without a brain, Nickolas couldn’t speak, eat or walk and frequently suffered from debilitating seizures.". How does one have seizures if all they have is a brain stem?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #261 on: September 12, 2014, 12:47:10 PM »

This is so much fun.

I got six tiny spheres into an elliptical orbit around an OMG sphere for about 10 minutes before they were finally absorbed. One was on a really huge orbit that went off-screen, and it kept disrupting the others just enough to keep them circling on each of it's returns. Pretty cool.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »

This is so much fun.

I got six tiny spheres into an elliptical orbit around an OMG sphere for about 10 minutes before they were finally absorbed. One was on a really huge orbit that went off-screen, and it kept disrupting the others just enough to keep them circling on each of it's returns. Pretty cool.

That could have been the most fun I've had wasting a half hour ever!! What a blast....I stuck with one OMFG sphere as the main source and had at one time a mix of 11 spheres orbiting but I couldn't keep all 11 going for long...they just interfered with each other.  I liked the tracking feature that traced the orbit...that was pretty cool.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: September 24, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »
"That's pre-post-ero-us":
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2014, 04:45:39 PM »
There are no such things as black holes.

Sweet.

Just read another article about this, and another researcher didn't exactly mince words about the paper. Apparently papers claiming that black holes don't exist have a long history, and they all misunderstand Hawking radiation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #266 on: September 24, 2014, 07:44:20 PM »
I dunno WTF that is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2014, 04:23:23 AM »
There are no such things as black holes.

Sweet.

Just read another article about this, and another researcher didn't exactly mince words about the paper. Apparently papers claiming that black holes don't exist have a long history, and they all misunderstand Hawking radiation.
The paper the article is about says that when doing a particular simulation taking into account both QM and GR, when a massive star comes to its end the remains after the supernova or whatever will never have a radius larger than the Swarzschild radius (which is needed for the star to become a black hole).
So either black holes don't exist, or this particular way of combining QM and GR does not work. I'll go for the latter.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #268 on: September 30, 2014, 07:30:03 PM »
Super cool: Alcohol droplet finds its way through a maze.

https://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/researchers-make-self-moving-alcohol-droplets

Great example of how a simple physical process achieves what on the surface requires intelligence.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2014, 02:36:05 AM »
That's pretty cool indeed!

Offline jasc15

« Reply #270 on: October 02, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »
It seems like the salt gradient would be too localized; not large enough in the vicinity of the alcohol drop.  Does the salt (or any other substance) begin spreading out quickly, and in enough concentrations to create a "noticeable" gradient at large distances?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #271 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
Well, if you put detergent into water, the change in surface tension travels super fast. So, I could see it traveling reasonably fast too.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #272 on: October 02, 2014, 11:43:53 AM »
Well, if you put detergent into water, the change in surface tension travels super fast. So, I could see it traveling reasonably fast too.
But surface tension is a property of the water that's changing, not the actual transport of a substance, right?  This seems like the latter.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #273 on: October 02, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
But surface tension is a property of the water that's changing, not the actual transport of a substance, right?  This seems like the latter.

But I think the surface tension would dictate the rate at which the substance travels. The more the surface tension is disrupted, the easier it is to travel through it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #274 on: October 02, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »

To my understanding, the traveling drop simply simply absorbs salt, and so it gets pulled into the direction of greater salt concentration in the water. The question is simply how fast the salt gradient can travel through water.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #275 on: October 02, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »
I guess this is related to how a shark can smell a single drop of blood from 2 miles (or something similar).  I always wondered how that was possible, and how long it would take to diffuse through a 2 mile radius sphere of water.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2014, 04:57:04 AM »

But I think the surface tension would dictate the rate at which the substance travels. The more the surface tension is disrupted, the easier it is to travel through it.
??? That's not true I think. Rumborak just means that the chance in surface tension caused by detergent travels super fast, so maybe this salt can diffuse fast enough as well.
I don't think the speed at which the diffusion happens matters very much. The concentration will always be lower the further you are from the salt droplet (within a reasonable time range of course, far longer than the alcohol droplets needs to travel to the salt droplet). The video is also definitely sped up.

I guess this is related to how a shark can smell a single drop of blood from 2 miles (or something similar).  I always wondered how that was possible, and how long it would take to diffuse through a 2 mile radius sphere of water.
This used to confuse me as well. I think it just means that sharks can detect extremely low concentrations of blood, it would surprise me if they actually instantaneously knew what direction it was coming from as well. They just smell it and keep swimming around until the smell gets stronger.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2014, 06:33:28 AM »
This used to confuse me as well. I think it just means that sharks can detect extremely low concentrations of blood, it would surprise me if they actually instantaneously knew what direction it was coming from as well. They just smell it and keep swimming around until the smell gets stronger.
Well, if they can follow the gradient, then they would know what direction it was coming from. 

In a more general sense, the same goes for any other hyper-sensitive sensing, biological or otherwise: I can understand being sensitive enough to pick up signals that low, but at that point how can the signal be much different and be distinguished from background noise?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2014, 02:46:43 AM »
Well, if they can follow the gradient, then they would know what direction it was coming from. 

In a more general sense, the same goes for any other hyper-sensitive sensing, biological or otherwise: I can understand being sensitive enough to pick up signals that low, but at that point how can the signal be much different and be distinguished from background noise?
I meant that when they pick up trace amounts of blood, instead of just swimming on like they would, they will swim around the area in random directions until by chance the smell gets stronger (and they can follow the gradient to actually get there).

I don't know about biology, but with electronics there are some "tricks" you can use to look for extremely tiny signals. For example a Lock-in amplifier can detect signals of a given frequency with extremely tiny amplitudes relative to the noise.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »
Frankly, I think that statement about sharks is myth. In fact, I have a vague recollection of Mythbusters testing it, and it's nowhere near true.