Author Topic: Mens Health - Mostly Fogey issues  (Read 8693 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Mens Health - Mostly Fogey issues
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »
The tricky part of figuring out a lower prilosec dose is the tendency towards a rebound. When I got to one every 3 days I started feeling pretty crappy and went back to two, but I can't say for sure that it wasn't just a temporary rebound.

And I'll check with my docs about H2 blockers. I think that's what they initially put me on after the transplant but after I called an bitched that it wasn't working they said to give prilosec a shot. However, at that point I was taking 6x the amount of prednisone. Now that I'm on a relatively small maintenance dose the H2 blocker might work better for me. I've never been all that comfortable taking the omeprazole long term.

Just curious, what's your maintenance anti rejection regimen. Cyclosporine? Tacrolimus?, Mycophenolate?, azathioprine?

The only reason I ask, is that PPI's can decrease your Tacrolimus level. Not that you can't take a PPI, its just that consistency is usually encouraged. That's one thing to consider if you are in fact on Tac.

And that's just a good rule in general for all men reading this thread. H2 blockers like zantac or PPI's like prilosec can effect absorption of other medications, so its usually encouraged to separate them from taking of other drugs by 2 hours.

PPI's really shouldn't be used chronically, despite that fact that a majority of people are, unfortunately. If people are experiencing acid reflux AKA heart burn, then a change of diet is encouraged (or moderation at the very least) and also its recommended not to lie down for at least 45 mins after eating. I am guilty of that one, but staying upright after eating a heartburn inducing meal will help.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:57:15 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »
I'm on tacrolimus and mycophenolate sodium (Myfortic). As I understand it each transplanting network has its preferred regimen and that's Baylor's. My cousin had hers done in Cali and she's on cyclosporin and mycophenolate mofetil (cellcept). Suppose it could also be a difference in the time frame. She had her transplant 5 or so years ahead of me and the newer meds might not have been as accepted. In any case, I'm a relatively small dose of tacrolimus and tested pretty regularly. They don't let me go more than 4 months without coming in to get tested, and usually lobby for 3. Just raised me from 4 to 5 mg qd the other day, in fact.

And your point is why I'm pretty cautious about changing my meds. There are other counteractions, as well. One of my blood pressure meds has also been known to be problematic. Don't recall if it's an interaction or renal toxicity, but there was some issue. And of course in one of the great ironies, renal toxicity is one of the side effects of tacrolimus. I've pretty much got cirque de sole going on in my blood stream at any given moment.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2017, 06:39:52 AM »
And that's just a good rule in general for all men reading this thread. H2 blockers like zantac or PPI's like prilosec can effect absorption of other medications, so its usually encouraged to separate them from taking of other drugs by 2 hours.

So THAT'S why my erection only lasted about two hours, not four.   Dammit. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
Type 2 Diabetes for me, controlled with diet, exercise, and metformin (generic for glucophage).  Of course, I don't get enough exercise and my diet is borderline atrocious.

Also, my eyesight is about as bad as it can be without being legally blind (I have astigmatism).  Most people don't know because I usually wear contacts.  My glasses are like Coke bottles.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »
Also, my eyesight is about as bad as it can be without being legally blind (I have astigmatism).  Most people don't know because I usually wear contacts.  My glasses are like Coke bottles.

I was horrifically nearsighted, probably as bad as you are, but without astigmatism. Wore glasses for 21 years, practically lived in contacts for 15 years. However, I had LASIK in 2009 and it was one of the single best things I've ever done for myself.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2017, 08:47:21 AM »
This is my situation as well. I've actually gotten to the point where the brand of contacts that I wear doesn't make toric lenses with a strong enough prescription for me, so my vision isn't perfect. Hopefully my eyes don't get any worse for a while, because right now it's not enough of a difference to be a big deal, and I like my contacts (and the price). I'm still waiting for the costs to go down on some of the newer types of eye surgery, because my doctor said that's what they would recommend for my eyes, as opposed to the traditional LASIK procedure.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »
I'm a few years shy of 40, but I'm already discovering that my body doesn't work like it used to when I was younger.  Sitting with bad posture or a lot or bending over and using muscles that don't often get used (i.e. doing yardwork) will wreak havoc on my lower back.  It then takes a few days to let the stiffness subside. 

Stretching would probably help, as would more frequent exercise (I sit for 12 hours each weekday, between my actual desk job and a total of 3 hours commuting), but that's tough with a baby in the house.

Getting older sucks.  :tdwn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
Anyone ever use - I don't know what they're called - "bifocal" contact lenses?  I'm at the point where I don't wear my contacts as much because the switching from near to far takes too much conscious effort.   

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »
So like a few others, I seem to have developed a bit of an acid reflux problem as of the last month or two. I'm almost certain it's directly related to putting on a few extra pounds lately. Overeating or drinking a decent amount of water when there's any food in my stomach seems to really set it off. I'm sipping on some water with baking soda right now and seeing what that does for me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »
Anyone ever use - I don't know what they're called - "bifocal" contact lenses?  I'm at the point where I don't wear my contacts as much because the switching from near to far takes too much conscious effort.   
I don't think I'd ever wear contacts, but the near-far thing really drives me up the wall at this point. I really have no idea how the hell to see things anymore. Maybe I'll look into bifocals that are uncorrected/readers.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »
I'm just at the "buying reading glasses" faze right now.  I fell like my eyes are drier than ever before.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2017, 08:46:45 PM »
So like a few others, I seem to have developed a bit of an acid reflux problem as of the last month or two. I'm almost certain it's directly related to putting on a few extra pounds lately. Overeating or drinking a decent amount of water when there's any food in my stomach seems to really set it off. I'm sipping on some water with baking soda right now and seeing what that does for me.

Get some Omeprazole and take it once a day; you can get it over the counter.  I always take it before what will be my biggest meal of the day, and I have had almost no issues in the last month (see page 2 of this thread for my issues).  Worth a shot, and it is considered a pretty safe pill to take (and has had no side effects with me).  Just make sure you take it about 45-60 minutes before you are going to eat (not after).

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2017, 07:22:36 AM »
The risks with Omeprazole are over long term use I believe. It's not meant to be taken everyday forever.

For my reflux I am trying hard to determine what foods to avoid so I can hopefully avoid having heartburn that way. I spent two weeks eating nothing but vegetables, fruit and meat with nothing processed and I had virtually no heartburn. I also avoided spicy and acidic foods and drank no alcohol. As a fun side effect I lost 8 lbs in those two weeks as well. Now I'm slowly adding things back in to see what gives me heartburn. So far so good. I haven't added wheat, alcohol, sugar or processed food back in yet. I'd really like to avoid taking a drug, but I want to make sure I'm able to enjoy eating as well. Those two weeks were basically eating for nutrition only and it kind of sucked.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2017, 07:27:38 AM »
Has anyone with frequent heartburn tried treating themselves for low stomach acid? It seems counter-intuitive, but apparently low stomach acid can cause heartburn and is fairly common. You can buy HCl capsules to take before a meal. If you take them and it helps your reflux, you have low stomach acid. If it makes your reflux worse, that's not your problem. It didn't work for me, but I've heard of it working for others. Worth a try if you have reflux and want to avoid drugs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2017, 07:29:47 AM »
The risks with Omeprazole are over long term use I believe. It's not meant to be taken everyday forever.

For my reflux I am trying hard to determine what foods to avoid so I can hopefully avoid having heartburn that way. I spent two weeks eating nothing but vegetables, fruit and meat with nothing processed and I had virtually no heartburn. I also avoided spicy and acidic foods and drank no alcohol. As a fun side effect I lost 8 lbs in those two weeks as well. Now I'm slowly adding things back in to see what gives me heartburn. So far so good. I haven't added wheat, alcohol, sugar or processed food back in yet. I'd really like to avoid taking a drug, but I want to make sure I'm able to enjoy eating as well. Those two weeks were basically eating for nutrition only and it kind of sucked.

Right, I have no intention of taking it all the time forever.  I am working on losing a few lbs (still around 205 and want to get down to about 190-195), and then I will see if I can get away with not taking it that much.  I hate taking any kind of medicine, too, but while going through this phase of trying to get down a little bit of weight to get rid of the hiatus hernia, I will deal with taking this once a day for the time being.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2017, 07:35:16 AM »

Right, I have no intention of taking it all the time forever.  I am working on losing a few lbs (still around 205 and want to get down to about 190-195), and then I will see if I can get away with not taking it that much.  I hate taking any kind of medicine, too, but while going through this phase of trying to get down a little bit of weight to get rid of the hiatus hernia, I will deal with taking this once a day for the time being.
I think I'm in a very similar boat to you. I think I have hiatal hernia as well, though never officially diagnosed. Losing a few lbs seems to help and I'd like to lose 10 more (I'm also at 205 and would like to be 195). It's certainly not a bad idea to do the 2 week Omeprazole treatment and see if you can heal things enough down there to make things better afterwards, especially in conjunction with other lifestyle changes. I've done that in the past and it helped for a bit, but the heartburn always came back since I never kept up the with the lifestyle changes I initiated. Good luck to you!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »
I don't think I'd ever wear contacts, but the near-far thing really drives me up the wall at this point. I really have no idea how the hell to see things anymore. Maybe I'll look into bifocals that are uncorrected/readers.

Kind of the same issue here, I got progressive bifocals (without the line) and after a few weeks of getting used to them, they're working wonderful. My eye issue is breakdown of lens flexibility, combined with one of my eyes being a bit better than the other with the struggle between the two causing headaches.

As to the acid reflux thang, I'm on a medication (too lazy to go to the bathroom and find out which) that is a slightly stronger prilosec that I take daily.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »

I think I'm in a very similar boat to you. I think I have hiatal hernia as well, though never officially diagnosed. Losing a few lbs seems to help and I'd like to lose 10 more (I'm also at 205 and would like to be 195). It's certainly not a bad idea to do the 2 week Omeprazole treatment and see if you can heal things enough down there to make things better afterwards, especially in conjunction with other lifestyle changes. I've done that in the past and it helped for a bit, but the heartburn always came back since I never kept up the with the lifestyle changes I initiated. Good luck to you!

Thanks, you too!

There actually had been a day here and a day there where I didn't take the Omeprazole (usually if I know I am going to eat healthy and not something that I think will aggravate the issue), so as I slowly lose more lbs, my hope is too slowly take it less and ween myself off of it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
The PPI in the short term to get things under control is totally fine. It absolutely is the long term that causes the problems, and the guidelines only recommend for short time use.

For anyone not wanting to take a drug. Here are the recommended "Life style modifications" which can help

1. Weight loss, which is probably the most effective.
2. Cut back on the following foods: Chocolate, caffeine, Acidic/spicy food, and carbonated drinks.
3. avoid eating meals with high fat content at least 3 hours before going to bed
4. Don't lay down after eating for at least 40 mins
5. They make bed wedges, that will elevate you while sleeping, so you are not completely on your back. (if you are a back sleeper)

*Also, one last piece of pharmacist snapple facts. Do not ever take nexium or prilosec with Plavix (clopidogrel), which is a blood thinner drug. The prilosec and nexium prevent the plavix from working. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
I've been getting a lot less acid reflux since i quit sugar and bread and cut down on coffee after 6pm...

But I found the best thing to fight it is Soda Water. Antacid liquid doesn't always touch it - even if I knock it back.

I found that carbonated water - especially if it has Bicarbonate in - is the best thing.

- - - - -

In other news - I was using Deep Heat Spray on my leg for a sprained ligament and after a few weeks I got an allergic reaction - my first one in my entire life.

It was a rash all around my waist and half way up my sides.  :o

So I quit the spray and doc gave me some skin cream and Anti-Histamine instead. Massaging it into my waist seems to help with the sprained ligament ache too.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »
Its been pretty much beaten to death by now how much the PPI's are terrible for you on a long term basis, but I just wanted to add one more thing I came across while reviewing today.

They decrease your absorption of Iron and B-12, so you can actually get Iron deficiency or B-12 deficiency anemia from their chronic use as well. Which will make you feel fatigued, and possibly short of breath and just generally feel like crap.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:33:51 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
I found out that - since I hurt a ligament in my groin - that I can't wear any jeans which are too tight or i'll ache like f-k for days afterwards.

If I wear really loose or stretchy clothes around the clock - then the ache is minimal to non existent.