Author Topic: Mens Health - Mostly Fogey issues  (Read 8701 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Mens Health - Mostly Fogey issues
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
Being a middle aged man with some health issues, I thought that I would share and provide some insight:

Enlarged Prostrate - Symptoms can be trouble urinating and in my case feeling like my prostrate had a vice grip on it.  I experienced this a decade ago before the RX meds, so after all of the tests I decided to try Saw Palmetto.  Have been using it for years and it really does work for me.  A buddy of mine at work got to talking one day and he mentioned taking the RX meds and they did not work too well.  I mentioned the Saw Palmetto and he now takes it daily and ditched the RX.  If anyone decides to try it, be sure to get the Standardized Extract.  Not sure if we are allowed to mention brands, etc. so if anyone wants to know the brand I use PM me.

Ok, now let the jokes begin.  I can take it. ;D
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mens Health - Mostly Fogey issues
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:44:35 AM »
Hmmm...you should never talk about your prostate and say "I can take it" in the same post..... :omg:..... :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 02:48:04 PM »

My prostate was givin me fits!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
May I ask how old you are? I'm 39 and luckily have not had any of the classic old-men issues yet.

Interestingly apparently an enlarged prostate only in very rare cases leads to prostate cancer. It's one of those things (like breast cancer) where they're slowly scaling back the extreme measures they used to take.
My old fogey issues currently are acid reflux. Ugh.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 03:48:48 PM »

This is my soapbox issue Rumby.  I'm recovering from Esophogeal cancer caused by acid reflux.  Hell...I never KNEW heartburn could cause cancer.  If you've had it with any kind of persistence over time, get an endoscope. PLEASE!!

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »
What's a prostrate? Is it anything like a prostate?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
I'm 43 and my prostate is still in good shape.   But I did have to have a kidney stone procedure a couple of years ago, and I wouldn't wish that in my worst enemy. 

I've got the acid reflux thing...had it for almost 10 years actually.   But a prilosec a day keeps the acid at bay.    I went to a gastrowheveralist a few months ago just to make sure everything was ok, and he said not to worry, and that he'd probably want to see me from both ends (an endoscopy and colonoscopy) when I hit the big five oh.   

Thaaaaaannkkksss...  :-\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 05:32:33 PM »

Well, one is where you're down with your rear end stuck out, the other is stuck in your rear end, so...you take it from there,   :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »
 :rollin

Offline mike099

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
Hmmm...you should never talk about your prostate and say "I can take it" in the same post..... :omg:..... :lol

That is true.  I can hardly take the annual digital exam.   :o

Offline mike099

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 06:54:25 PM »

Oops! Sorry for the spelling.  I typed the initial post after being in the sun all morning doing yard work.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »
It's weird that they call it digital even though their finger goes in your analog.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline sueño

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »

Oops! Sorry for the spelling.  I typed the initial post after being in the sun all morning doing yard work.

So...you were pretty much prostrate after your busy morning, eh?   :angel:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline mike099

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »
May I ask how old you are? I'm 39 and luckily have not had any of the classic old-men issues yet.

Interestingly apparently an enlarged prostate only in very rare cases leads to prostate cancer. It's one of those things (like breast cancer) where they're slowly scaling back the extreme measures they used to take.

I am 55, but the issue came about  in my early 40's.  Agree with Crimson about the test if you have persistent reflux.  Crimson , hoping you have a 100% recovery.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
Agreed on the acid reflux.   

My DR had sent me to the gastrowhateveralist because the DR was concerned about some studies suggesting that Prilosec (Omeprezole) being the cause of bone deterioration if taken for more than 5-7 years straight.    But when I went to the gastro DR, he said that the studies were rare, inconclusive, and in the worst case scenario, could be counteracted by boosting intake of Calcium.  (which I needed to do anyway, because my Vitamin D levels were in the toilet)   So he basically put it to me that my choices were a) a slight risk of osteoarthritis which could be avoided or b) a more definite risk of esophageal cancer if the acid reflux was not kept under control.   

So that was a bit of a no brainer.   I have already been on Omeprazole for 3 years, and the gastro DR gave me an RX to fill out a whole nother year.   

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
Enjoy sleeping through the night while you still can, cuz them days is about over.  :lol

I get the occasional bouts of acid reflux, but because of the CKD I have to take NaHCO3 daily. I keep a jug of water/baking soda in the fridge, and a small glass of that will pretty much nip that problem pretty quickly.

And I thought DRE's were supposed to be a thing of the past. Last I heard, that particular form of cancer was so slow progressing that they had decided invasive predictors weren't worth the hassle.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 07:18:50 PM »
Sleep has been a bit more evasive lately....but I've chalked that up to stress at work. 

I'm telling you, if you don't take it all the time (because you can build a tolerance to it) Ambien is a miracle drug for sleep.

Offline sueño

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »
Agreed on the acid reflux.   

My DR had sent me to the gastrowhateveralist because the DR was concerned about some studies suggesting that Prilosec (Omeprezole) being the cause of bone deterioration if taken for more than 5-7 years straight.    But when I went to the gastro DR, he said that the studies were rare, inconclusive, and in the worst case scenario, could be counteracted by boosting intake of Calcium.  (which I needed to do anyway, because my Vitamin D levels were in the toilet)   So he basically put it to me that my choices were a) a slight risk of osteoarthritis which could be avoided or b) a more definite risk of esophageal cancer if the acid reflux was not kept under control.   

So that was a bit of a no brainer.   I have already been on Omeprazole for 3 years, and the gastro DR gave me an RX to fill out a whole nother year.   

Vitamin D deficiency is not uncommon to those living in less sunny climes like the PNW.  A regular supplement will help that and you might be amazed at how it helps your mood.   It's no coincidence that the sun makes people feel better.  It's not just the light, tho -- it's the vitamin D it helps our body manufacture.

Sunny D!!!!   :metal    :P

Offline mike099

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
Sleep has been a bit more evasive lately....but I've chalked that up to stress at work. 

I'm telling you, if you don't take it all the time (because you can build a tolerance to it) Ambien is a miracle drug for sleep.

I take a Benadryl(generic) and it really puts me out.  Of course if I drink too much coke or water, I will have to get up and go.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
I get maybe 6 hours of sleep.
I've got acid Reflex.
I've got this nasal drip that makes me cough all the time. (Seeing a nose ear and throat doctor and an allergist next month)
And I need to lose a ton of weight.

Crap.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 08:24:15 PM »
Crapping does help to lose weight...  :angel:

I'm all over that Vitamin D now.  At first, they had me on 50,000 units a week for 3 weeks just to get my levels back to normal.   Now I just take a Calcium/Vit D supplement every day.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »
Enjoy sleeping through the night while you still can, cuz them days is about over.  :lol.

37 here....about the past six months or so I started the whole taking a leak at least once during the night. I am really settling in to this whole 'Dad' thing I guess. I remember as a teenager when I was staying up all night just laughing that my dad would get up and pee two or three times a night. Now......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
when I was in grad school I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.  Felt like I had to pee all the time - right after I had already gone, as soon as I would lay down in bed, etc.  Drove me freaking crazy.  The had me cut out all caffeine and try to some relaxation exercises (apparently stress causes that area to have issues).  It must have worked because it eventually went away and hasn't returned, thank goodness.  I just chalk it up to being stressed out doing grad-work.

Yeah, the exams . . . they are not fun.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
Epic bump!!

Had an endoscopy done this week...the procedure itself was as easy as I was told it would be.  They put the round thing in your mouth (that the tube into your stomach goes through), hit you with the anesthesia through the IV they had put in a vein on top of your hand, and then next thing you know, you are waking up in recovery. 

Anyway, I went because I have had nausea off and on for much of the last year, like that feeling you could throw up, although I never do. I can barely eat and my stomach will feel full and bloated.  No ulcers, but I have a small hiatus hernia, which they said can be easily treated by losing some weight (I fluctuate between a 10-15 lb difference, and am currently on the higher end of that right now, so there's the extra incentive I needed). I don't have acid reflux, but apparently the acid does build up in my stomach, which causes the nausea sometimes, and that can be treated by taking Omeprazole once or twice a day shortly before eating. Hopefully, those do the trick.  :coolio

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 07:02:58 AM »
I'm 49, and it seems like I hit the f*****g wall.   :)

This year, I had my first kidney stone (like most of you, I poo-poo'ed it too - "it can't be THAT bad" - until I found myself at 3:00 in the morning, lying on the bathroom floor on my side with a cold tile on my cheek, one bathmat under my torso, a thin strip of cold tile on my lower side, then more bathmat under my hips and thighs, and just moaning in agony and saying to myself "I'll never do this again... wait, what the f*** did I even DO?"   Thank god it passed shortly after.

I have the heartburn, but since I quit coffee cold turkey about a month and a half ago, it has pretty much gone by the wayside.   An occasional Prilosec (I've take ONE since the coffee left) takes care of bidness.

I too have to lose about 15 pounds.  After quitting the coffee, believe it or not I dumped about 10 pounds in about three weeks (no Pop tarts or other carbs in the morning with the coffee is my guess, because I didn't do anything else!)

But not to be too personal here, the BIGGEST pain in the ass is - literally - the dreaded hemorrhoid.  I've had them before, apparently mild, and short, but it seems like it's been a constant friend dropping by (again literally) for a visit every couple weeks or so.  I had a colonoscopy about a year or so ago, but I'm going to try to get to my doctor (who's a male) this month and have a look see.  I've hesitated, because the last time I had the "finger" it was there, but it was one of his PA's, and she was really cute (in a Cote de Pablo/Gal Gadot kind of way) and I was EXTREMELY self-conscious about that.   Sorry, TMI - Too Much Ick.   :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 07:22:08 AM »
Kidney stones is one of those things I pray I never get.

I tried to get myself like to coffee, but it didn't take. Probably a good thing.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 07:24:54 AM »
My bladder sucks. When I wake up, no matter what time I have to go and then I have a hard time getting back to sleep
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 07:29:44 AM »
If I have to get up and pee in the middle of the night, I find it best to not look at the clock, that way, I don't start thinking about it, in which case I will then never back to sleep, since, for example, if it's 3, for example, I went to sleep at 11 and have to be up at 7, I will start thinking, "OMG, if I don't get back to sleep, I will have to work tomorrow on 4 hours of sleep," and then I'll just lay there tossing and turning and thinking about it.  I just pee, crawl back into bed and fall back asleep.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 07:33:01 AM »
It's always less than an hour before I have to wake up and then work takes over my thoughts.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »
I'm 52 and take Simvistatin for my Cholesterol and Nexium OTC for my Barret's  disease.
So not horrible for my age. Beyond medicines, I really have no nagging aches or pain so I'm fortunate in that respect.
And my prostate is normal says the two fingers that go up my ass.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »
I have a lot wrong with me, and I'm predisposed to a lot of things thanks to genetics. I apologize for not really being comfortable going into it in detail, but suffice it to say, I've been on meds for ages and will be forever. And I'm not really that old.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 08:56:15 AM »
It's always less than an hour before I have to wake up and then work takes over my thoughts.

Less than an hour isn't bad.  I had a night like two years ago where I woke up at like 2:30 a.m. and could never get back to sleep. That is when I started the "never looking at the clock" thing, which works most of the time.

And my prostate is normal says the two fingers that go up my ass.

:tup :tup (pun intended)

I have a lot wrong with me, and I'm predisposed to a lot of things thanks to genetics. I apologize for not really being comfortable going into it in detail, but suffice it to say, I've been on meds for ages and will be forever. And I'm not really that old.

Damn.  I try my best to not take any meds - there is nothing I take regularly, although I guess the Omeprazole will be now, but fortunately I have been told there are basically no side effects - but I know that for many people, they have no choice, since the alternative is way worse.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
Eh, I don't like being on meds, but I need then. Doc thinks so, aind if it keeps me healthy longer, I'll do it. Necessary for me. Mind you none of it it "abnormal" or particularly heinous. Just stuff I don't feel like talking about. Figure id commiserate even if enigmatically.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 08:59:17 AM »
Well, doctors are almost always going to way their patients on meds ($$$), but yeah, it is sometimes necessary.

Offline mike099

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
If you are 50 or over, I advise getting a colonoscopy.  I had one at 50 and just had another one at 59.  Clean except for a few polyps.

A guy I know waited and he had colon cancer that had already attached to the bladder- age 58.  They got it all and he just finished his last round of chemo. 

Check you insurance before you get one.  For some insurance companies, the first one is free.  My second one was not since I had polyps on the first one.