The PPI in the short term to get things under control is totally fine. It absolutely is the long term that causes the problems, and the guidelines only recommend for short time use.
For anyone not wanting to take a drug. Here are the recommended "Life style modifications" which can help
1. Weight loss, which is probably the most effective.
2. Cut back on the following foods: Chocolate, caffeine, Acidic/spicy food, and carbonated drinks.
3. avoid eating meals with high fat content at least 3 hours before going to bed
4. Don't lay down after eating for at least 40 mins
5. They make bed wedges, that will elevate you while sleeping, so you are not completely on your back. (if you are a back sleeper)
*Also, one last piece of pharmacist snapple facts. Do not ever take nexium or prilosec with Plavix (clopidogrel), which is a blood thinner drug. The prilosec and nexium prevent the plavix from working.