Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379707 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #5110 on: October 25, 2017, 07:17:39 AM »
Click the play button next to the song on that setlist link.

Never noticed this either, I should start linking my youtube videos to setlist.fm.... this video isn't good quality so hard to tell about the performance.  Seems off, but the sound is already really muddy and missed the beginning of the song. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5111 on: October 25, 2017, 07:18:07 AM »
Why in the name of all that is holy would they have Robert sing like half the verses? Het could easily sing that himself, I mean he sang the verse to That Was Just Your Life on the DM tour.

The rest of it wasn't bad, James' voice sounds really good on it, Lars has the usual Lars issues.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #5112 on: October 25, 2017, 07:43:56 AM »
Man, Master of Puppets (album) just never ceases to amaze me. Like it hasn't aged a day. Such a thrilling record from start to finish.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5113 on: October 25, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
Man, Master of Puppets (album) just never ceases to amaze me. Like it hasn't aged a day. Such a thrilling record from start to finish.

It’s IMO the greatest album of all time.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Art

« Reply #5114 on: October 25, 2017, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5115 on: October 25, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUShg-c8qog

:rollin

I love the look on his face about 3:00 minutes in where he realizes that this is all there is.  It doesn't get any better than it already has.  :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5116 on: October 25, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »
That was hilarious. I loved jumping ten or twenty minutes ahead again and again and just watching his expressions and poses changing.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5117 on: October 26, 2017, 02:32:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXTzr358o_0 The official live video for Spit Out the Bone

Really not understanding Rob's vocals, but the performances isn't terrible overall.  Lars aint the best, but that's expected.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5118 on: October 26, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXTzr358o_0 The official live video for Spit Out the Bone

Really not understanding Rob's vocals, but the performances isn't terrible overall.  Lars aint the best, but that's expected.

If they had James just sing the verse like they do in pretty much every other song in their catalog, it would be miles better. Completely baffled by the decision to have Rob sing half the verses. The rest wasn't bad, like you said Lars is Lars. He's skipping double bass work and fills, I'm not sure if he just can't play that stuff anymore or feels that he'll screw it up so he chooses not to. Also, it sounds like Kirk is coming in a split second late during his solo consistently, like every time the riff resets on one, he's behind.

But, overall I'm glad they played the song, and hope to see them play it more and get more comfortable with it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5119 on: October 26, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »
Nowhere near as bad as I'd have expected, and I bet live it came off very well. A 350kw sound system will cover a multitude of sins. I kind of see what they were going for with the vocals, but they lost the ability to do that when Newsted split. Barring that, they should have swapped halves. Some lines can be shouted but others need some tone. Hetfield really needed to handle "bleeding through your fragile skin," etc. The bigger problem was with the bridge verse, though. There's no way for them to pull off the "stop breathing" part without sequencing. Trujillo will never be a proper background singer.

Still, it's cool people got to see it, and you could hear how much they appreciated what was coming up.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5120 on: October 26, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
I see a couple reasons why they did that with the verse 1) to give James a breather for a few seconds and 2) to do a kind of call-and-response kind of thing, only it doesn’t work cuz Robert’s vocals are dreadful.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5121 on: October 27, 2017, 06:49:39 AM »
Nowhere near as bad as I'd have expected, and I bet live it came off very well. A 350kw sound system will cover a multitude of sins. I kind of see what they were going for with the vocals, but they lost the ability to do that when Newsted split. Barring that, they should have swapped halves. Some lines can be shouted but others need some tone. Hetfield really needed to handle "bleeding through your fragile skin," etc. The bigger problem was with the bridge verse, though. There's no way for them to pull off the "stop breathing" part without sequencing. Trujillo will never be a proper background singer.

Still, it's cool people got to see it, and you could hear how much they appreciated what was coming up.

I generally agree, to one of your specific points though, having Jason on this song would have been fantastic.

I see a couple reasons why they did that with the verse 1) to give James a breather for a few seconds and 2) to do a kind of call-and-response kind of thing, only it doesn’t work cuz Robert’s vocals are dreadful.

Eh, I honestly still don't get it. He has faster vocal lines he's performed in other songs that give him less time to breathe and he's pulled it off nicely. Additionally, the riff they are playing it over isn't that complex either it's mostly just chugging on the E.

I'll put it to you this way - singing the verses of Sad But True while playing that heavy guitar part is much harder, just in a different way. Not kidding, try it sometime. It's  actually really tricky.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5122 on: October 27, 2017, 06:57:26 AM »

Yup, at the end of the day the band performed a song really liked on the album.  Got to give credit where it's due and that is that Metallica is playing a lot of these new songs and continuing to live debut them awhile after the albums release.  It may not be perfect, but that's OK with me.  I'm sure like you said, it sounded fine in the arena that night and that's all that really matters.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5123 on: October 27, 2017, 07:03:39 AM »

Yup, at the end of the day the band performed a song really liked on the album.  Got to give credit where it's due and that is that Metallica is playing a lot of these new songs and continuing to live debut them awhile after the albums release.  It may not be perfect, but that's OK with me.  I'm sure like you said, it sounded fine in the arena that night and that's all that really matters.

No doubt, and don't mistake my nitpicking for anything other than that, nitpicking. Overall, it sounded pretty good, I'm sure with Big Mick slaughtering folks with kick drum and bass guitar low end, it was a religious experience in the room.

I totally love the amount of new songs they are playing on this tour. Their last couple sets in Europe have like 6 or 7 songs from Hardwired. That's awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5124 on: October 27, 2017, 07:06:25 AM »
Yea, its a shame NA didnt get these more interesting and rotating set lists.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5125 on: October 27, 2017, 07:07:27 AM »

The cons of a stadium show for sure. Hopefully they do another US run next year and play arenas like they are currently across the pond.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5126 on: October 27, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »
Setlist seems the same format as it was from the beginning. Twelve fixed slots and six rotating. The rotating slots all fit into a theme, usually down to a specific album. The only difference I saw looking at some random gigs of late is that Bellz has been replaced with S&D in the third slot. Aside from that any recent gig could be exactly the same as what I saw twice.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5127 on: November 05, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
So for some reason it just dawned on me that the members of Metallica spent their 20's writing their first 5 albums, which are some of the most iconic records in history.

How did we spend our 20's? Crazy stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5128 on: November 05, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
So for some reason it just dawned on me that the members of Metallica spent their 20's writing their first 5 albums, which are some of the most iconic records in history.

Kill 'Em All was released before James and Lars even turned 20.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5129 on: November 05, 2017, 04:06:44 PM »

Kill 'Em All was released before James and Lars even turned 20.

:angry:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5130 on: November 12, 2017, 07:26:35 AM »
I think it's a matter of being at the right place at the right time around the right people, I think the most creative people that ever existed are complete unknowns cause they didn't have that perfect line up of circumstances. But it's also being willing to take the risk and put your whole self into your passion, which is something most people would deem impractical, I never did and never would, for fear of failure and time waste.
And Trujillo's back vocals are true killers of musical boners.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5131 on: November 12, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
I think it's a matter of being at the right place at the right time around the right people, I think the most creative people that ever existed are complete unknowns cause they didn't have that perfect line up of circumstances. But it's also being willing to take the risk and put your whole self into your passion, which is something most people would deem impractical, I never did and never would, for fear of failure and time waste.
And Trujillo's back vocals are true killers of musical boners.

It could be worse. Have you ever heard Kirk sing?

-MirrorMask

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5132 on: November 12, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
Yes, and back then I said "It can't get worse than that!!", until I heard Trujillo barking :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5133 on: November 14, 2017, 06:26:04 AM »
It's Electric: Lars x Metallica Revisit Master of Puppets

That was interesting hearing the producer and the band sharing stories about the recording.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5134 on: November 14, 2017, 07:13:01 AM »
That was really interesting, thanks.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5135 on: November 14, 2017, 07:29:25 AM »
It's Electric: Lars x Metallica Revisit Master of Puppets

That was interesting hearing the producer and the band sharing stories about the recording.  :tup

Really cool! Thanks for posting!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5136 on: November 14, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »
WOW.  I love that tidbit about Sanitarium's intro being in mono, then kicking over to stereo.  I just put it on and listened with earbuds and it's so true.  The sound really does just envelope around you as the song kicks in around 0:32/0:33.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #5137 on: November 18, 2017, 08:17:26 AM »
I've been playing MoP a lot lately, man is it good! I'm still in love with this record.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5138 on: November 18, 2017, 02:22:32 PM »
I've been playing MoP a lot lately, man is it good! I'm still in love with this record.

To me, it’s the closest and album can get to being perfect. My all time favorite album and a collection of songs that has helped me through some really tough times. The first song I remember hearing is the title track so this album has been there for me for as long as I can remember.

-MirrorMask