Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379720 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #5075 on: August 31, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »
I think most people would buy the version that gets them all the live stuff.

Well, that's me.  99 times out of a 100 (Genesis was an exception) I don't give a crap about the "remaster" itself.  I'm not a snob about "brickwalling" (for the most part, I think that is over-rated), and almost always buy "remasters" for the added material.  I'm something more than a "casual" Metallica fan - I have the entire catalogue ecept for "Kill 'Em All" - but less than a "fanatic", completist Metallica fan, so I don't know.  If this was Maiden, Genesis, Kiss, DT, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, etc. I'd be scraping together change to buy the Super Deluxe version (though I'm still not keen on the vinyl; I wish that show was on the CD as well).
This is the first of these Super Deluxe sets I'll be getting.  It's my favorite Metallica album and is probably in my Top 20 albums.  I picked up the "Back To The Front" book they put out last year commemorating the album's 30th anniversary - pretty awesome.  The MoP Super Deluxe edition will be a welcome addition to my collection.  For the money, it's a pretty good collection of material.  Although, if you're not into vinyl, I can see how not having that show on CD would be a bummer.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5076 on: August 31, 2017, 12:10:17 PM »

Well, that's me.  99 times out of a 100 (Genesis was an exception) I don't give a crap about the "remaster" itself.  I'm not a snob about "brickwalling" (for the most part, I think that is over-rated), and almost always buy "remasters" for the added material.  I'm something more than a "casual" Metallica fan - I have the entire catalogue ecept for "Kill 'Em All" - but less than a "fanatic", completist Metallica fan, so I don't know.  If this was Maiden, Genesis, Kiss, DT, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, etc. I'd be scraping together change to buy the Super Deluxe version (though I'm still not keen on the vinyl; I wish that show was on the CD as well).
This is the first of these Super Deluxe sets I'll be getting.  It's my favorite Metallica album and is probably in my Top 20 albums.  I picked up the "Back To The Front" book they put out last year commemorating the album's 30th anniversary - pretty awesome.  The MoP Super Deluxe edition will be a welcome addition to my collection.  For the money, it's a pretty good collection of material.  Although, if you're not into vinyl, I can see how not having that show on CD would be a bummer.

The deluxe box thing is pretty sweet, that's for sure. I've been meaning to get the Back to the Front book - how is it?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5077 on: August 31, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »
The deluxe box thing is pretty sweet, that's for sure. I've been meaning to get the Back to the Front book - how is it?
If you're a fan of the album and enjoy learning all the minutiae about a band of which you're a fan, I'd highly recommend it.  I haven't finished it or even gotten to when they've completed the album.  But, I'd say it's definitely worth getting.  The collection of photos inside is pretty awesome.  A lot of time and effort was definitely put into the making of this book.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5078 on: August 31, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »
^Cool, looks like it's only like $30 on Amazon, I might just have to pick it up.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5079 on: September 01, 2017, 06:25:29 AM »
^Cool, looks like it's only like $30 on Amazon, I might just have to pick it up.
That's a deal.  And, eligible for Prime shipping, too.  Totally worth it.  The book has some weight to it.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #5080 on: September 01, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »

having everything on CD woulf be better, but the live vinyl and cassette both come with download codes so you can hear both of those (and rip them to a CD)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #5081 on: September 05, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »
Just listened to the remastered Disposable Heroes on Spotify. Unneeded EQ'ing and compression. I'm not against remasters and obviously it gets celebrated, but this is a good example of an album that doesn't need adjustments at all. It's Master of Puppets, it's supposed to sound like that.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5082 on: September 05, 2017, 07:10:58 PM »
Just listened to the remastered Disposable Heroes on Spotify. Unneeded EQ'ing and compression. I'm not against remasters and obviously it gets celebrated, but this is a good example of an album that doesn't need adjustments at all. It's Master of Puppets, it's supposed to sound like that.

Ugghhhh!  Say it ain't so...this is exactly what I feared they would do.

Remember the days when re-masters (here's looking at you mid-90's ozzy) were released to correct for shitty initial pressings?  Perhaps to even out some volumes and that was it???

Why compress and re-EQ an album that I have been listening to for 30 years???

I suppose as long as the original remains available I won't get too upset...what Mustain did with the Megadeth catalog is simply inexcusable.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5083 on: September 06, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »
Moth Into Flame live in Copenhagen - they changed up the stage production for the arena run in Europe, they are using drones as effect lighting, looks pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWq-kMUeb-s

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5084 on: September 06, 2017, 08:21:21 AM »
Remember the days when re-masters (here's looking at you mid-90's ozzy) were released to correct for shitty initial pressings?  Perhaps to even out some volumes and that was it???
Don't forget about the Ozzy 2002 remasters where Mike Bordin and Robert Trujillo came in to re-record the bass and drums on BoO and DoaM.  Disgraceful!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5085 on: September 06, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
Moth Into Flame live in Copenhagen - they changed up the stage production for the arena run in Europe, they are using drones as effect lighting, looks pretty cool!

This is awesome

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #5086 on: September 06, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »
It's Master of Puppets, it's supposed to sound like that.

Yea no need to remaster MOP, it sounds good as it is. The only Metallica album that needs remastering is Death Magnetic which is way over modulated. Maybe RTL as well.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5087 on: September 06, 2017, 09:01:44 PM »
The MoP announcement post on facebook came with a Comment option so I apparently I've been unbanned from Metallica's fb page.

I suppose as long as the original remains available I won't get too upset...what Mustain did with the Megadeth catalog is simply inexcusable.

I know I'm in the smallest minority on this one but I disagree guys. Compression and EQ play, crispiness and loudness are exactly what I need from a remaster of 80's metal records. Because these records deserve an explosive in-your-face treatment to satisfy the new settings I've been listening in, the last 10 years or so; car and gym. I wanna listen to these songs without having to raise the volume absurdly in these places.
Sure, if I want to enjoy a more sonic-ally wholesome experience, I'd listen to the original pressings. They're still available and I own them all. But I can tell you all original pressings of Megadeth albums have not set foot out of my old room in my parents house since the remasters came out. I absolutely love the Megadeth remasters, crisp and loud without clipping, what not to love.
Metallica's KEA & RTL remasters haven't done it for me though. Whatever Mustaine did in his remasters, they didn't do.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5088 on: September 11, 2017, 08:04:12 PM »
Not directly Metallica, but I found this and thought it was super awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGc5in2F_Rg
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5089 on: September 12, 2017, 08:32:29 AM »
The MoP announcement post on facebook came with a Comment option so I apparently I've been unbanned from Metallica's fb page.

I know I'm in the smallest minority on this one but I disagree guys. Compression and EQ play, crispiness and loudness are exactly what I need from a remaster of 80's metal records. Because these records deserve an explosive in-your-face treatment to satisfy the new settings I've been listening in, the last 10 years or so; car and gym. I wanna listen to these songs without having to raise the volume absurdly in these places.
Sure, if I want to enjoy a more sonic-ally wholesome experience, I'd listen to the original pressings. They're still available and I own them all. But I can tell you all original pressings of Megadeth albums have not set foot out of my old room in my parents house since the remasters came out. I absolutely love the Megadeth remasters, crisp and loud without clipping, what not to love.
Metallica's KEA & RTL remasters haven't done it for me though. Whatever Mustaine did in his remasters, they didn't do.

Very interesting as I place my disdain for the Mega-remasters above almost all else.  What are your thoughts on the re-recorded vocals/solos and tempo changes that took place (RIP is the worst offender)?  For me, this was sacrilege.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5090 on: September 12, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »

Wow, that was fantastic.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5091 on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »

Very interesting as I place my disdain for the Mega-remasters above almost all else.  What are your thoughts on the re-recorded vocals/solos and tempo changes that took place (RIP is the worst offender)?  For me, this was sacrilege.

I know! I've actually never talked to anyone who likes the remasters :lol
I don't remember tempo changes but that's maybe cause I haven't heard the originals in so long.
I didn't mind the re-recorded vocals. I actually love the remastered Five Magics, the "Possessed with hellish torment" section and the demonic vocals that repeat the lines are way more intense in the remastered. I'm very aware of how sacrilege this is but I can't help it heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5092 on: September 12, 2017, 09:57:19 PM »
I love the Megadeth remasters.............. Because I've never heard the originals.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5093 on: September 22, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »
Video breaking down the live guitar rigs for the summer US tour -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6k2ghtbhoU

Interesting to note they are totally 100% AxeFx now.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #5094 on: September 26, 2017, 12:01:10 AM »

That was cool!
If you're into that sort of playing, I can recommend you this: https://youtu.be/vqHj1WiGc-s
He's a young musician from my city.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5095 on: September 26, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »
Only Kirk would need 5 damn wah pedals on one stage.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5096 on: September 26, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »

And off stage it seems. I’ve seen a few videos of him playing a way solo but his feet aren’t anywhere near a pedal, which means someone else is off stage controlling it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5097 on: September 28, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »

And off stage it seems. I’ve seen a few videos of him playing a way solo but his feet aren’t anywhere near a pedal, which means someone else is off stage controlling it.

Yeah his tech has one off stage in case he needs one for a part but isn’t near one. Seems silly but the stadium summer tour stage was massive, even with several on stage he still might find himself pretty far away from one.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5098 on: September 28, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »
Just trying to imagine a dude sitting in a chair, smoking and reading a magazine while begrugingly doing Kirk's wah back stage.

I'm pictured Marc Maron.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5099 on: September 28, 2017, 10:40:20 PM »

Great idea. Poorly executed. Moths en masse fly in seemingly random patterns. That was just a bunch of circling lights. I'd love to see them get that right.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5100 on: September 28, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »

Yeah his tech has one off stage in case he needs one for a part but isn’t near one. Seems silly but the stadium summer tour stage was massive, even with several on stage he still might find himself pretty far away from one.
Yeah, it sure seemed like they put more than five out, and they were still pretty widely spaced. A rough estimate is 250-300 linear feet of running room for that stage. He could certainly find himself 30' away from a pedal at any given time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #5101 on: September 28, 2017, 10:59:05 PM »

Great idea. Poorly executed. Moths en masse fly in seemingly random patterns. That was just a bunch of circling lights. I'd love to see them get that right.

At times, definitely for the beginning. If you go near the end, they're all going randomly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5102 on: September 29, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »

At times, definitely for the beginning. If you go near the end, they're all going randomly.

Definitely room to grow the gimmick, pretty cool first attempt though.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5103 on: September 30, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
I love the Megadeth remasters.............. Because I've never heard the originals.
:lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5104 on: October 24, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »
Killer setlist from night 2 in London. Wish I was there to see it 😕

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2017/the-o2-arena-london-england-73e32659.html

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5105 on: October 25, 2017, 12:25:44 AM »
Oh, apparently they debuted Spit Out The Bone.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5106 on: October 25, 2017, 12:27:36 AM »
Oh, apparently they debuted Spit Out The Bone.

Horribly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5107 on: October 25, 2017, 12:31:09 AM »
You've seen footage?

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #5108 on: October 25, 2017, 02:00:38 AM »
Click the play button next to the song on that setlist link.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5109 on: October 25, 2017, 02:19:28 AM »
Ah. I never use that feature.