Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 381338 times)

Offline krands85

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #5040 on: June 08, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
1. The Four Horsemen
2. Creeping Death
3. Master of Puppets
4. One
5. Enter Sandman
6. The Outlaw Torn
7. Fuel
8. St. Anger
9. The Day That Never Comes
10. Spit out the Bone
11. Am I Evil?
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #5041 on: June 08, 2017, 02:33:40 PM »
I'm listening to 'Fight Fire With Fire' now, and I suddenly realised something. This song is extremely fast. I'm almost 100% positive the snare is always on the 2nd and 4th beat in this song. Yet, every time I listen to it, I'm hearing the snare at the 1st and 3rd bar as soon as the vocals kick in. It's due to both the sheer speed of it and the barely audible kick drum. Anyone else have this 'problem'?
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5042 on: June 08, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »
I'm listening to 'Fight Fire With Fire' now, and I suddenly realised something. This song is extremely fast. I'm almost 100% positive the snare is always on the 2nd and 4th beat in this song. Yet, every time I listen to it, I'm hearing the snare at the 1st and 3rd bar as soon as the vocals kick in. It's due to both the sheer speed of it and the barely audible kick drum. Anyone else have this 'problem'?

I have that problem with Battery, always inverting the beat when I hear it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5043 on: June 08, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
Kindof like Blackened when he inverts the break down on purpose?   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5044 on: June 09, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »
Why is that a "problem"? 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5045 on: June 09, 2017, 09:03:48 AM »
Why is that a "problem"?

No idea about Blackened, but it's a problem for me because I know I'm hearing it wrong. I have no idea why, it's been 20 years that I've been listening to Metallica, and still can't hear Battery without inverting it.

Thanks Obama!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5046 on: June 13, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »

Even with the vocals, I still hear the snare on 1 and 3.  It's not just that the song is fast, but the riff accents the off beats just enough to throw off the feel of the song (made worse by the vocals accenting the same beats).  That said, I love the song, and I think it has one of the best harmony guitar solos I've heard.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5047 on: August 23, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5048 on: August 24, 2017, 07:10:01 AM »
^ Awesome! Is this all of them now?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5049 on: August 24, 2017, 07:33:25 AM »

Not Lords of Summer, but besides that, yeah
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5050 on: August 24, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »

Not Lords of Summer, but besides that, yeah

Ah, I forgot about Lords of Summer, good call!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5051 on: August 30, 2017, 05:02:07 AM »
Remastered 'Master Of Puppets' coming November 10.

https://www.metallica.com/store/master-of-puppets

"We promised to keep mining the vaults to bring you each Metallica album remastered for the most advanced sound quality possible along with special deluxe editions including previously unreleased audio and video recordings. Today we are excited to announce that we are one step closer... 'Master of Puppets (Remastered)' is here! Visit Metallica com for more information (and with three pieces of vinyl, ten CDs, two DVDs, and so much more in the Box Set alone, we promise you'll find more information!). And don't forget to stop into the Met Store to pre-order your copy and find some 'Puppets' favorites on sale now! Release date is November 10th."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5052 on: August 30, 2017, 07:23:44 AM »
Another remortgage coming up to be able to afford the Deluxe Edition here in the UK.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5053 on: August 30, 2017, 08:08:11 AM »
A lot of the live stuff on that box set says its incomplete recordings.  Seems odd to release that stuff, but that's still one heck of a lot of content.  The 3CD disc looks like what I'd buy, but I'm probably not going to get it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5054 on: August 30, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »
A lot of the live stuff on that box set says its incomplete recordings.  Seems odd to release that stuff, but that's still one heck of a lot of content.  The 3CD disc looks like what I'd buy, but I'm probably not going to get it.

There is a ton of content that's for sure. I'd guess they are cool with releasing the incomplete stuff just because they want these reissues to be as comprehensive as possible, so they are throwing everything in there, complete or not.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5055 on: August 30, 2017, 08:30:23 AM »

There is a ton of content that's for sure. I'd guess they are cool with releasing the incomplete stuff just because they want these reissues to be as comprehensive as possible, so they are throwing everything in there, complete or not.

The shows are incomplete?   The only songs that seemed incomplete looked like a tape ran out at the end of one song and wasn't restarted till midway through the next song.   

I don't mind the incomplete shows, but I didn't see the Aragon Ballroom show on CD, only vinyl.  The vinyl is wasted on me, so...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5056 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:44 AM »

The shows are incomplete?   The only songs that seemed incomplete looked like a tape ran out at the end of one song and wasn't restarted till midway through the next song.   

I don't mind the incomplete shows, but I didn't see the Aragon Ballroom show on CD, only vinyl.  The vinyl is wasted on me, so...

On the 10 disc set there are some incomplete shows.  They look like it's mostly all there, but there are a few notes like:

*Note: Someone didn’t hit record until after we started playing.
*Note: The tape ran out before we finished the song.
*Note: Filming cuts during the guitar solo.

And yea, I agree, it's just them getting what they have in the vaults out to people which is cool, I just can't recall bands releasing incomplete concerts like this before.  You'd have to be a pretty big fan to buy that set though so it's still pretty cool to get that stuff in the hands of the fans.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5057 on: August 30, 2017, 08:45:53 AM »
On the 10 disc set there are some incomplete shows.  They look like it's mostly all there, but there are a few notes like:

*Note: Someone didn’t hit record until after we started playing.
*Note: The tape ran out before we finished the song.
*Note: Filming cuts during the guitar solo.

And yea, I agree, it's just them getting what they have in the vaults out to people which is cool, I just can't recall bands releasing incomplete concerts like this before.  You'd have to be a pretty big fan to buy that set though so it's still pretty cool to get that stuff in the hands of the fans.

Yeah, I assume the target market for this (the box that includes everything) are the absolute die-hard fans that need to collect everything Metallica.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5058 on: August 30, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
Very tempted by the 3CD just for dem live tracks.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5059 on: August 30, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
Master of Puppets sounds great as it originally sounded in 1986. I see no need for this in my collection.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5060 on: August 30, 2017, 09:40:16 PM »
I may spring for the digital edition.  I bought the remastered KEA single cd for $5.00.  Still haven't picked up RTL, and I think I have an early version of Puppets that was remastered in the late 80's or 90's, according to the back of the cd.  But a new version with some live songs from 86/87?   :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5061 on: August 31, 2017, 06:54:46 AM »
Master of Puppets sounds great as it originally sounded in 1986. I see no need for this in my collection.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5062 on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:12 AM »
So you guys have already heard the new remaster to make that assessment?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5063 on: August 31, 2017, 07:06:42 AM »

Of course not, but Master Of Puppets, as is, sounds excellent. I'm not sure why I should buy the thing again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5064 on: August 31, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »

Of course not, but Master Of Puppets, as is, sounds excellent. I'm not sure why I should buy the thing again.

My thoughts as well. I listened to the sample of Disposable Hero's and didn't really notice that big of a difference to warrant another purchase.  I may spring for a re-mastered AJFA with some bass sounds.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5065 on: August 31, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »

My thoughts as well. I listened to the sample of Disposable Hero's and didn't really notice that big of a difference to warrant another purchase.  I may spring for a re-mastered AJFA with some bass sounds.

I think they've already commented that they wouldn't mess with AJFA, which is disappointing. I think they should release a 2 disc version with a remaster of the original album, and then a remixed version with bass.
I haven't heard the samples from MOP yet, but the previous two weren't bad.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5066 on: August 31, 2017, 08:26:31 AM »
Very tempted by the 3CD just for dem live tracks.
That's where I'm at.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5067 on: August 31, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »

I think most people would buy the version that gets them all the live stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5068 on: August 31, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »
I think they've already commented that they wouldn't mess with AJFA, which is disappointing.

Remastered 'Master Of Puppets' coming November 10.

https://www.metallica.com/store/master-of-puppets

"We promised to keep mining the vaults to bring you each Metallica album remastered for the most advanced sound quality possible along with special deluxe editions including previously unreleased audio and video recordings. Today we are excited to announce that we are one step closer... 'Master of Puppets (Remastered)' is here! Visit Metallica com for more information (and with three pieces of vinyl, ten CDs, two DVDs, and so much more in the Box Set alone, we promise you'll find more information!). And don't forget to stop into the Met Store to pre-order your copy and find some 'Puppets' favorites on sale now! Release date is November 10th."

Says in this quote they promise to do each album?   It would be ridiculous if they remastered MoP but not AJFA.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5069 on: August 31, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »
Says in this quote they promise to do each album?   It would be ridiculous if they remastered MoP but not AJFA.

I meant them remixing it, not remastering. Can't remember where I read the quote on that specifically, since that was a while ago now.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5070 on: August 31, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
Ah true, yea theres a difference I missed that.  So lame.  But yea, I'm with the group that doesn't really have much interest in the remasters anyway besides a redo of AJFA really.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5071 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm 100% fine with the versions I've had forever, especially TBA, Load and Reload. The only thing I've ever wanted is a listenable version of AJFA, because I love the album, but I just can't listen to it any more in its current state. No remaster will fix that.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5072 on: August 31, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm 100% fine with the versions I've had forever, especially TBA, Load and Reload. The only thing I've ever wanted is a listenable version of AJFA, because I love the album, but I just can't listen to it any more in its current state. No remaster will fix that.

Yeah, from a sonic perspective, it's going to be pretty hard to improve on TBA and the Loads. Say what you will about the songs on those records but the production is fantastic.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5073 on: August 31, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »

I think most people would buy the version that gets them all the live stuff.

Well, that's me.  99 times out of a 100 (Genesis was an exception) I don't give a crap about the "remaster" itself.  I'm not a snob about "brickwalling" (for the most part, I think that is over-rated), and almost always buy "remasters" for the added material.  I'm something more than a "casual" Metallica fan - I have the entire catalogue ecept for "Kill 'Em All" - but less than a "fanatic", completist Metallica fan, so I don't know.  If this was Maiden, Genesis, Kiss, DT, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, etc. I'd be scraping together change to buy the Super Deluxe version (though I'm still not keen on the vinyl; I wish that show was on the CD as well). 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5074 on: August 31, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
Well, that's me.  99 times out of a 100 (Genesis was an exception) I don't give a crap about the "remaster" itself.  I'm not a snob about "brickwalling" (for the most part, I think that is over-rated), and almost always buy "remasters" for the added material.  I'm something more than a "casual" Metallica fan - I have the entire catalogue ecept for "Kill 'Em All" - but less than a "fanatic", completist Metallica fan, so I don't know.  If this was Maiden, Genesis, Kiss, DT, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, etc. I'd be scraping together change to buy the Super Deluxe version (though I'm still not keen on the vinyl; I wish that show was on the CD as well).

Yup, I'm assuming that's the real appeal of Metallica going back through the catalog and doing this - the bonus material. I mean check out all this stuff -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhZWUD6hEj4

I'd wager to say the remastered CD of MOP is probably the least interesting thing in there. If you are going to drop all that money it's because of everything else.