Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379708 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1435 on: April 26, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
Replace Lars with Portnoy.

I want Portnoy in Megadeth. Not Metallica.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1436 on: April 26, 2015, 08:56:02 AM »
Replays Kirk with Mustaine.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1437 on: April 26, 2015, 11:17:30 PM »
Replace Lars with Portnoy.

I want Portnoy in Megadeth. Not Metallica.

I want Portnoy in DT.

Replays Kirk with Mustaine.

:D tbh I never thought Mustaine could be that good a fit in Metallica, at least solos wise.  It'd be interesting to see how he would've approached solos in later albums had he been around.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1438 on: April 27, 2015, 07:09:13 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1439 on: April 27, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1440 on: April 27, 2015, 06:43:44 PM »
Brilliant.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1441 on: April 28, 2015, 01:16:16 AM »
Love the eggshaking chops!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: April 28, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »
Listening to Death Magnetic.

Yes I know it's bloated and it's brickwalled but I still love it.

I just have to make sure to turn the volume down during the opening to That Was Just Your Life and I'm set :tup
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: April 28, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »
*tiny heartbeat noise*

:) Bit quiet - i'll turn it up....

DUN !!! DUH DUH DUN DUN !!!!

:dangerwillrobinson: ITS OK. I DIDNT LIKE HEAVING EARDRUMS ANYWAY.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: April 28, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »
*tiny heartbeat noise*

:) Bit quiet - i'll turn it up....

DUN !!! DUH DUH DUN DUN !!!!

:dangerwillrobinson: ITS OK. I DIDNT LIKE HEAVING EARDRUMS ANYWAY.
:rollin

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1445 on: April 28, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »
The good parts on Death Magnetic pretty much start and end with That Was Just Your Life.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: April 28, 2015, 12:02:47 PM »
The good parts on Death Magnetic pretty much start and end with That Was Just Your Life.

Yes. With Garage Inc Disc 1 production that song would be amazing.

Offline TL

« Reply #1447 on: April 28, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »
Death Magnetic is a good album with bafflingly terrible production.

Like, even on non-brickwalled versions (the Guitar Hero version and such), it feels like it's just missing a certain something. I think I said this earlier, but in my opinion, it sounds like a demo.
I would be legitimately interested to see what Death Magnetic would sound like with better production work. Like, if the exact same material had been recorded in the same way as Ride the Lightning, or the Black Album, how would it have been received?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1448 on: April 28, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »
Death Magnetic is a good album with bafflingly terrible production.

Like, even on non-brickwalled versions (the Guitar Hero version and such), it feels like it's just missing a certain something. I think I said this earlier, but in my opinion, it sounds like a demo.
I would be legitimately interested to see what Death Magnetic would sound like with better production work. Like, if the exact same material had been recorded in the same way as Ride the Lightning, or the Black Album, how would it have been received?

Production and sound might be a big villain, but I still think it would have been disappointing. Most of the songs just feels like they threw 40 riffs into the mix and wrote a song out of it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: April 28, 2015, 01:35:49 PM »
The songwriting on DM was a huge step up from Saint Anger. If they can step up by the same amount on the next album it could be great.

Although Lords Of Summer isn't exactly Master Of Puppets.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1450 on: April 28, 2015, 02:06:31 PM »
The songwriting on DM was a huge step up from Saint Anger. If they can step up by the same amount on the next album it could be great.

Although Lords Of Summer isn't exactly Master Of Puppets.

We will never get another Master of Puppets. We just need an album on the level of Kill Em All.

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: April 28, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
Even if the next album is Death Magnetic part 2 but with the production of Ronnie Rising - that will be somewhat of a victory.

I think that's the best we can hope for at this point.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1452 on: April 28, 2015, 05:00:08 PM »
We will never get another Master of Puppets. We just need an album on the level of Kill Em All.

We will never get another Kill Em All  :P
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1453 on: April 28, 2015, 05:04:21 PM »

Amen, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: April 28, 2015, 07:13:15 PM »

Good

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1455 on: April 28, 2015, 09:57:21 PM »
Production and sound might be a big villain, but I still think it would have been disappointing.

Agreed. I only listen to the GHIII version of DM, which sounds good (it lacks some punch, and it's raw sounding, but it's still refreshing to listen to after most modern albums), so that only accounts for part of the albums failings. The songwriting is contrived and bloated. I think the album has a lot of great ideas on it, but most of the songs have sections that drag them down, and a lot of the ideas needed further refining.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1456 on: April 29, 2015, 02:53:54 AM »
Too bad this band has lost the plot in such a bad, bad baaaaaaadd way. I mean make some bad decisions along the way, ok, but at each and every turn? I say muzzle Lars and Kirk, grow a fucking spine!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you΄re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: April 29, 2015, 06:30:26 AM »
^ I agree 110%. They haven't made one good decision since the year 2000.

As I've listed earlier in this thread. They stopped making great albums *at least* 15 years ago depending on how you feel about the Loads...

( I like them and think they're under-appreciated )

It seems that Jason was the one keeping them together because since he left they can't do a thing right it seems.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1458 on: April 29, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »
They've made a few good decisions. Getting Rob on bass,  The idea to release a SBD recording of every gig. The you never know what you are going to hear setlists (more so during the album tour not summer festival tours), the Fillmore gigs. They are doing things many top bands don't do...is it hurting the music though? Maybe, maybe not.

One thing I think DM suffered from was no layered vocals. Just took the punch out of the vocals. Also there is the problem, which was a similar issue with SA, that being many songs feel cut and pasted. All the riffs were good. It's just they didn't always seem to fit where they were.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1459 on: April 29, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »
I think All Nightmare Long and My Apocalypse are classics as far as songs go (not production, though it doesn't bother me).  I love the changing of riffs and speeds of the album. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: April 29, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »
That Was Just Your Life. All Nightmare Long & The Day That Never Comes are all great songs ruined by production and tempo.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1461 on: April 29, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »
Have to agree with getting Rob on bass.   Even though I have loved Jason all the way back to his Flotsam and Jetsam days, I truly believe that Rob is a better fit for Metallica than Jason.  He's just a freakin BEAST.   

In fact, I will go so far as to say that Jason was Metallica's "Shaun Alexander" and Rob is their "Marshawn Lynch".....(in case you're wondering, that would make Cliff "Curt Warner" LOL  But you'd have to be a Seahawk fan to get any of this, so I might just be talking to myself)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1462 on: April 30, 2015, 08:02:01 AM »
Have to agree with getting Rob on bass.   Even though I have loved Jason all the way back to his Flotsam and Jetsam days, I truly believe that Rob is a better fit for Metallica than Jason.  He's just a freakin BEAST.   

In fact, I will go so far as to say that Jason was Metallica's "Shaun Alexander" and Rob is their "Marshawn Lynch".....(in case you're wondering, that would make Cliff "Curt Warner" LOL  But you'd have to be a Seahawk fan to get any of this, so I might just be talking to myself)

I got the reference as well. The problem with being the bassist of Metallica is that you'll always be living in the shadow of Cliff Burton. Jason came in at a bad time because James, Lars, and Kirk really should have taken more time off after the accident to heal. Instead, they went right back into it with Jason and never got a chance to put their heads in the right place. This lead to them treating Jason like it was his fault. They tormented him and limited his creative input from the moment he joined to the moment he quit. It's a shame because Blackened and My Friend of Misery are amazing songs. With Rob, they had time to recover after Jason quit and James' stint in rehab gave him a clearer perspective of things. Metallica realized their mistakes from last time and unlike Jason, Rob is treated like a full member and a friend. Still, the issue of living up to Cliff remains, but I think both have held their own in that regard. I feel that Jason's stage presence worked better for Metallica and he was the best backup vocalist they ever had, but Rob's playing style is a much better fit. Hopefully the next album (whenever they decide to finish it) will have production that doesn't wreck the songs so that we can get a studio effort that allows us to appreciate Rob even more.

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: April 30, 2015, 08:18:49 AM »

Hey, no disrespect to Curt Warner please, from a PSU alumn  :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1464 on: May 02, 2015, 12:34:28 AM »

Hey, no disrespect to Curt Warner please, from a PSU alumn  :biggrin:

None intended.  Curt was our first "star"...it's just that most modern fans don't remember him anymore, and that's a shame.   I can't begin to tell you how much joy and elation he broght to this team. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1465 on: May 02, 2015, 12:53:15 AM »
Ground Chuck ITT
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1466 on: May 10, 2015, 12:58:18 AM »
Watching the Rock in Rio Vegas stream atm.  Crowd has been more than ready for this.  Also, they just started friken played King Nothing.  I was hoping they played a song that I hadn't heard in the other three live streams I watched last year.  I got it here.

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/rock-in-rio-usa-rock-weekend-day-two

I'm just going to list the setlist as I go.

Fuel
Master of Puppets
King Nothing
Disposable Heroes
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) with a Kirk solo as a prelude.
Lords of Summer (Don't know why they are playing it now, but at least, they are playing it in the US the 1st time).
The Unforgiven
Cyanide (I don't mind this track and all, but do they have to play at every live stream as the token Death Magnetic song?  I wouldn't mind something like All Nightmare Long or That Was Just Your Life.)
Sad But True
Turn The Page with a Rob solo as prelude (I don't mind this one.  Haven't heard it on a stream I watched yet.)
One (I miss it when they do the heavy pyro before the song.  I guess with all the people in the background, which I don't know why they are there, it's a no go.)
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters with another Kirk solo before it
Enter Sandman

Whiskey In The Jar (I think they teased a little with bits of the intro of The Frayed Ends of Sanity.  I wouldn't been all "No way, they are going to play it here," if they actually did play it.)
Creeping Death (Crowd reaction is not as strong here.  Could have been a lot stronger if it was at the intro though for sure.)
Seek & Destroy (Never in doubt as the closer)

Well, overall, it's a little over two hour Metallica show.  Of course, it's good.  I thought if they give me one song that I did not hear in the other three live streams I watched (Rock AM Ring, Glastonbury, Blizzcon), I would be happy.  They gave me three, so I'm pleased with the overall result.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 02:50:24 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1467 on: May 10, 2015, 03:35:49 AM »
It's funny how 95% of the Metallica setlist has been the same songs since 2003 or so, with a few songs being switched around. If I saw that setlist, I would probably consider King Nothing a highlight, because it's at least slightly rare.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1468 on: May 10, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
It's funny how 95% of the Metallica setlist has been the same songs since 2003 or so, with a few songs being switched around. If I saw that setlist, I would probably consider King Nothing a highlight, because it's at least slightly rare.

Well Metallica will never play a show without Master of Puppets, For Whom the Bell Tolls, One, Seek and Destroy, Enter Sandman, Sad But True, or Nothing Else Matters. Fuel and Creeping Death are also almost always played. They usually play 18 songs. So with the above songs accounted for, that leaves room for 10 songs to be shuffled. When they play something from Death Magnetic, it's either Cyanide or All Nightmare Long. The only song they really play from St. Anger anymore is Frantic. Blackened, The Unforgiven, Ride the Lightning, Fade to Black, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Hit the Lights, and The Four Horsemen will sneak their way in from time to time and if you're lucky (like I was at the Yankee Stadium Big 4 show) you'll get Orion. The difference between Metallica and a band like Dream Theater is that Metallica has actual "hits" that the fans expect to hear. DT fans are spoiled in terms of the rotating setlist (see the general disappointment because of the static setlist). I will say that the four times that I have seen them, I have gotten a rare gem (And Justice For All, Orion, Escape's live premiere along side The Call of Ktulu, My Friend of Misery).

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: May 10, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
What do YOU Want from a new Metallica album ?

• No Forced Thrash.
• Just Great Songs - I'd much rather they just write and keep all the best ideas rather than shoving 10 riffs in a song and playing it as fast as they can.
• Great Production - for their first album of the 21st century that's actually listenable.
• Composed solos from Kirk - no more play whatever nonsense. you're not Kerry King.
• Vocal harmonies - These were sorely missed on Death Magnetic. They always make James voice sound better.
• Another instrumental would be good but it has to be better than Suicide & Redemption.