Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 382412 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1365 on: March 30, 2015, 06:07:49 AM »
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
And Justice For All
Kill Em All
St Anger
Lulu
The Black Album
Load
Reload
Death Magnetic
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1366 on: March 30, 2015, 06:27:55 AM »
Boy, is it really that time again already?!

1. ...And Justice for All
2. Load
3. Master of Puppets
4. Metallica
5. Death Magnetic / Beyond Magnetic
6. Ride the Lightning
7. Reload
8. Kill 'Em All
9. St Anger

Everything down to and including Reload is at least good, and KEA is decent as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1367 on: March 30, 2015, 07:04:01 AM »
1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightning
3. And Justice For All

4. Death Magnetic
5. Metallica
6. Kill Em All

7. Load
8. Reload
9. St. Anger
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1368 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
1. Master of Puppets
2. The Black Album
3. Ride The Lightning
4. Kill 'Em All - used to be really low, but I've grown quite fond of it over the years
5. ...And Justice For All
6. Load
7. Re-Load
8. St. Anger
9. Death Magnetic
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: March 30, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightning
3. And Justice For All

4. Death Magnetic
5. Metallica
6. Kill Em All

7. Load
8. Reload
9. St. Anger

I'll go along with this if you're ranking based on your actual enjoyment of those albums and not because " Load, Reload & St Angry R SHIT LOLOL "

Load & Reload are bloated but they both have some killer songs on like Fixxxer, Devil's Dance, Wild Things, Carpe Diem, The Outlaw Torn, Bleeding Me, Wasting My Hate, Mama Said, Hero Of The Day.

p.s. let's NOT do " post your Load/Reload compilation". :p

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1370 on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightning
3. And Justice For All

4. Death Magnetic
5. Metallica
6. Kill Em All

7. Load
8. Reload
9. St. Anger

I'll go along with this if you're ranking based on your actual enjoyment of those albums and not because " Load, Reload & St Angry R SHIT LOLOL "

>:( :censored >:( :censored :censored >:( :censored >:( :censored >:( :censored

Bloody hell, man! Why else would they be at the bottom? Real people don't pretend to hate stuff just because it's the popular opinion. Gah! You know what? Where's the paddle? I've had enough of you. Turn around.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: March 30, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »
 :police: spank me !

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1372 on: March 30, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »
I'd rather listen to Nickelback for 5 hours than having to sit through Death Magnetic once.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: March 30, 2015, 10:52:27 AM »
I'd rather listen to Nickelback for 5 hours than having to sit through Death Magnetic once.

I don't mind it. But I'd never rank it *above* The Black Album or Load.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1374 on: March 30, 2015, 12:36:56 PM »
Ride
Justice
Master

Black
Death
Kill

Load/reload

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1375 on: April 01, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
If anybody blamed Lars for selling out because he cut his hair in 96`, they may take a look at how he looks with long hair (in a pony-tail) now:

:lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1376 on: April 01, 2015, 11:30:52 PM »
Lars Townsend as Ziltoid the Impotent
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #1377 on: April 02, 2015, 12:33:05 AM »
Lars Townsend as Ziltoid the Impotent
:tup

Haven't listened to a Metallica album in years. Hm. I can work off memory.

1. And Justice for All
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Master of Puppets
4. Kill 'em All
5. Death Magnetic
6. Load
7. Black Album
8. Reload

9. St. Anger

Put on St. Anger while writing that list. Couldn't make it halfway through Frantic.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: April 02, 2015, 01:36:10 AM »

Haven't listened to a Metallica album in years. Hm. I can work off memory.

1. And Justice for All
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Master of Puppets

4. Kill 'em All
5. Death Magnetic
6. Load
7. Black Album
8. Reload

9. St. Anger

Great minds think alike
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: April 13, 2015, 07:09:36 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1380 on: April 13, 2015, 07:14:31 AM »
"Metallica are '25 percent' done with new album".

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/metallica_are_25_percent_done_with_new_album_says_kirk_hammett.html

I love their pic for the news  :P

I wonder if they just don't include Kirk much in the song-writing? Lars keeps saying they have like 20 songs written. Lol.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: April 13, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
I think Kirk has aged great considering the bandmate/s he's had to hang around. I'd say he's around 25% done with the new album and 75% done with Metallica.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: April 13, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
People on the Metallica board are speculating that either they're being deliberately obtuse or Lars means they are finished *writing* whilst Kirk means they're 30% done with the entire process - including tracking through release.

Kirk didn't say they were 30% done *writing*.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: April 13, 2015, 08:31:03 AM »
posted on Apr 13, 2015 08:58 am  #
Maybe not, but it definitely will be if they try to pretend they're just coming off ...And Justice For All again. Death Magnetic was so forced.

+2
 Sebo
posted on Apr 13, 2015 10:05 am  #
Please enlight us with your riffs and songwritting that are better then what is on Death Magnetic.

Worst argument ever. Nothing you could write could possibly be better than Metallica because you're not Metallica.

Because Metallica only write Solid Gold Grade A material 100% of the time! ::)

I read once "Every thing Metallica does is 10/10. Even Lulu because it's still METALLICA \m/"

There's being a fan and then there's rabid obsession.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1384 on: April 13, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »
Fanboyism to that extreme level is always the worst type of fans, no matter what band or artist it is. They act like its a heresy to say something even remotely negative about one band. It's especially annoying when people try to praise the whole discography and say shit like "Even their worst album is still better than 95% of the music out there", which doesn't come off as praise, but rather them sounding ignorant because they probably have a very limited music taste. Sure, some bands have better discographies than others, but at least try to have some nuances to how you view things, even things you like. I feel passionate about some bands in the same way other people does, but that still doesn't mean I can't prefer one album over the other or have negative things to say. There's several bands that I really love who have had plenty of misfires, and it's honestly no big deal.

But speaking of a new Metallica album, I wish I could care at this point, but I honestly don't. I was a huge fan back around 2006-2008, but after getting basically nothing since then, and Death Magnetic being a major disappointment (and my least favorite Metallica album by far, which is saying something in a discography with St. Anger), I just don't feel much interest in it. Some things doesn't change, other things change. Metallica have tried so hard to stay relevant and be that same band they were in the 80s, and they even released an album desperately clinging onto their former selves. While I liked what Metallica was, I can say that I am not the same person that I was those years ago, so it would probably require something fresh and exciting for me to get interested in a new album. Another re-hashed "glory to the 80s" album will just sound tired & forced as far as I'm concerned.

Offline TL

« Reply #1385 on: April 13, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
So not particularly meaningful, but I just realized that this has been the longest stretch they've ever had between new albums. Also, that they released their first four albums in a shorter span of time than the span between Death Magnetic and the followup.
I remember reading years ago that basically, James would rather they record way more often, but that 'other band members' (Lars) kind of keep that from happening. It's a bit of a shame if that's true. I think a slightly quicker pace with album releases, especially if some of the band members want it, could give their writing a bit of momentum, and would let them try out more things without the burden of expectation that comes with releasing one album every half decade or so.
Also, the fact that Rob has been in the band for, what, twelve years? And he's only recorded one Metallica album with them? That's a bit nuts.

As for how eager I am for new Metallica, I'd say that I'm not necessarily on the edge of my seat, but I'll certainly check it out with some interest when they actually get around to releasing it.

Admittedly, because of when I started listening to the band, I feel like I have weird Metallica opinions as far as what I think of past material. Obviously I really like the classic albums, but then with their later output, I'm able to just see that as separate eras and enjoy it for what it is. Load and Reload are obviously very different from what they were doing in the '80s, but I find I'm able to approach them knowing that, and I think there's a lot to like there. It may actually help that, before hearing them for the first time, everything I'd heard about them was extremely negative. So when I actually gave them a listen, and it was just a very different style, a lot of the material exceeded my expectations.

Heck, even with St. Anger I feel like there's a decent album buried in there somewhere, and that a few tweaks with arrangement and production would do wonders.

With Death Magnetic, I like it overall, but the production just isn't there. You either have the brickwalled version that sounds like garbage, or the more dynamic version that, while better, lacks a bit of punch. For lack of a better explanation, I find that Death Magnetic sounds like a demo tape. Like "Hey, there's some good stuff on here. I can't wait to hear the finished product! What? ... Oh...".

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1386 on: April 13, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »

+2
 Sebo
posted on Apr 13, 2015 10:05 am  #
Please enlight us with your riffs and songwritting that are better then what is on Death Magnetic.

Worst argument ever. Nothing you could write could possibly be better than Metallica because you're not Metallica.

I hate this argument so much. So fucking stupid. Especially with movies. "Let's see your movie". Piss off. Did Roger Ebert make movies? No he didn't. Shut the fuck up. People don't seem to know what critiquing is. I have no musical talent, but that doesn't mean I don't know when someone is playing a guitar sloppily, or when an actor isn't that great or horrible even. I don't need acting skills to point out that Jayden Smith is a shitty actor.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1387 on: April 13, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »
I just realized that Metallica's last album is barely 2 years older than Tool's last album. Sure, Tool hasn't been on tour as much as Metallica, or has released any live album or something like Gods of Summer and... Well... Lulu; but it's still a long time coming and their DM material has slowly gotten a bit stale. I don't want to hear Day that Never Comes and/or Cyanide ever again in a concert or Live DVD, for God's sake.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1388 on: April 14, 2015, 04:30:35 AM »
It's so weird. After Death Magnetic was so popular and they restored a lot of faith in people after St. Anger - they went on a highly successful world tour and.......

.... They just let all that momentum and renewed interest in the band just... ebb away...and the band just ground to a halt.

When they should have taken a year off - then taken two years and made another album.

Someone else said it - but it's mad that Trujillo joined in 2003 and he's only done ONE studio album of

original Metallica material. Crazy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: April 16, 2015, 02:43:58 AM »

I made a playlist of all the "ballady" songs from the Loads. They should do something like this instead of trying to write another And Justice for All

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1390 on: April 16, 2015, 04:35:29 AM »
I don't mind a mix of both, but the most important thing is that they write something from the heart. That's what mostly killed Death Magnetic for me, it didn't feel genuine. It didn't feel like "this is the album we want to make", but rather it felt like "this is the album the fans want to hear". I remember people talking about Load and ReLoad and Metallica "selling out" with those albums, but I think that's wrong. They tried something different, they tried doing whatever they wanted to do at that time, and like it or hate it, that's a reason for making an album that I can support. But making an album that feels almost exclusively like a nod to the fans, an album that doesn't feel like it's coming from the heart, that's selling out to me.

It didn't help that Death Magnetic had one of the worst productions ever. Boy, talk about a flat-sounding record.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: April 17, 2015, 04:44:39 AM »
Metallica are proof that the biggest bands on the planet can still have the worst sounding albums.

Also with modern technology - you can get better sounding albums from home recording gear than in a big studio.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: April 17, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
Listened through a few songs from Justice For Jason.

Made me really wanna pick up mah bass.

But instead I went to bed.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: April 17, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
:JayOctavarium:

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1394 on: April 19, 2015, 10:07:26 AM »
So Kirk was on Jamey Jasta's podcast this week. Jamey asked him something about Halloween and Kirk mentioned that Metallica would likely be in the studio recording then... So we're looking at an early 2016 release for new music? Pretty crazy that it will have been 8 years at that point.  :o

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:46 AM »
Late 2016 I'd imagine.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: April 19, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: April 19, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »
Late 2016 I'd imagine.

Early 2017

Who cares ;D. The next mastodon and Dream Theater albums will be out before their album and will both be better. :cool:

Offline TL

« Reply #1398 on: April 19, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
Their new album will be delayed so that they can focus on their "Death Magnetic 10th Anniversary Tour" first.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1399 on: April 19, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon