Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379924 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1295 on: July 26, 2014, 08:40:09 AM »
I agree the songs are more emotional, but the delivery seems cold and unfeeling to me compared to say NEM.  Whatever, it's just something I noticed.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1296 on: July 27, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »
I think Mama Said is very emotional, and Fixxxer also.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1297 on: July 27, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
They need to play Fixxxer live. It's time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: March 03, 2015, 06:30:35 AM »
So Lars has told Rolling Stone that they're pretty much in "pre-production" mode.

I assume this means that all the material for the album is written and they're demoing all the finished songs to see what needs tweaking / if there's an overall theme /

nailing the vibe of the album / deciding on producer.

However - even after Pre Production - Death Magnetic still took 18 months to come out so don't hold your breath :lol

At least it's *something*.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1299 on: March 03, 2015, 07:22:20 AM »
Yeah. I'm now at the point where I no longer bother to see whats going on with it.

If it ever comes out I'll find out, bot for now I AM THE TABLE

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: March 03, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »
In other news, the band has announced that their No Life 'Til Leather demo will be officially released.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/legendary_metallica_demo_tape_to_get_official_release.html
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: March 03, 2015, 07:31:10 AM »
Yeah. I'm now at the point where I no longer bother to see whats going on with it.

If it ever comes out I'll find out, bot for now I AM THE TABLE

I'm that way with TOOL as well. 9 years since 10,000 Days which wasn't anywhere near as good as Lateralus despite taking 5 years itself.

May 2006 - just think back to what you were doing then and everything you've done / achieved in that time and TOOL have been working on one album the whole time.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03:29 AM »
This got me thinking if that No Life 'Til Leather release would have happened two years back, Dave Mustaine would have been inducted with them in the Hall of Fame since the HoF committee said he wasn't cause he never appear on an official Metallica release.
Somewhere Mustaine heard this news and went "D'Oh!" heh
But it's cool they're releasing it, I was just recently thinking of digging my old mp3's of it up for a listen but now I'll just wait for the -hopefully- better quality release.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:18:34 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1303 on: March 03, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
:lol

That sucks
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: March 04, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
So Lars has said that they've "pretty much" finished writing - have close to 20 songs completed and will enter Pre-Production within a month.

I guess that's *something*. I'd never expect a concrete update like that from TOOL.

I still don't expect the album before Sep 2016 at the earliest. But hey ho.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1305 on: March 04, 2015, 05:37:38 PM »
So Lars has said that they've "pretty much" finished writing - have close to 20 songs completed and will enter Pre-Production within a month.

I guess that's *something*. I'd never expect a concrete update like that from TOOL.

That would be 8 years between full studio albums. Insane. I remember back in the 80s long before the internet you would just constantly check the record stores hoping to see a new release. Good thing my favorite bands didn't take 8 years in between albums back then.  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1306 on: March 04, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »

That would be 8 years between full studio albums. Insane. I remember back in the 80s long before the internet you would just constantly check the record stores hoping to see a new release. Good thing my favorite bands didn't take 8 years in between albums back then.  :lol

Were there no announcements on the radio, TV, or magazine?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: March 04, 2015, 05:44:20 PM »
Back in the day - like early 90s - you'd learn of new albums in music magazines.

I don't think i've ever gone into a record store and just seen one of my favourite bands has a new album out without knowing about it.

RE : Metallica. I'd prefer nothing for ages then an update saying exactly where they are instead of years of vague half-truths and blatantly false information.

Metallica have done this too but i'm thinking specifically of other bands.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1308 on: March 04, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »

I don't think i've ever gone into a record store and just seen one of my favourite bands has a new album out without knowing about it.

Usually the way you found out about new albums was on the radio. There'd be a new single or a video on MTV.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: March 04, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »

Usually the way you found out about new albums was on the radio. There'd be a new single or a video on MTV.

Yes this too. I'm not old enough to be into music before a time when it was all over the TV.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1310 on: March 04, 2015, 06:54:37 PM »
I'm old enough to remember the 80's.   If you hung around your local record store often enough that they knew you on a first name basis, the guy behind the counter usually had a couple of months notice from the local record reps.   

If you wanted to know, there were always ways to get a heads up. 

Sometimes, if I thought a band was due, I would just call the local reps myself.    Every record company had a local distribution center in most major metropolis areas.    I would call local reps myself out of the phonebook, and sometimes they had heard about things that were on the horizon *several* months in advance. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1311 on: March 04, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
I worked in a record store in the 80s and we did know what was coming inside a couple of months, and had a coming soon board for releases about a month out. You still could wander into a store and be shocked by what you found, but that was gone for me at least by the mid-80s.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1312 on: March 04, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »
Most of my favorite bands would just send a carrier pigeon to my house with the title/track listing/release date of their upcoming albums. Musicians were so polite back then.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1313 on: March 05, 2015, 07:55:37 AM »
I worked in a record store in the 80s and we did know what was coming inside a couple of months, and had a coming soon board for releases about a month out. You still could wander into a store and be shocked by what you found, but that was gone for me at least by the mid-80s.
Right. Most stores had a "Upcoming New Releases" board hanging up.

And there were still ways to follow a band. Kerrang had a great news section, that was very up to date.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1314 on: March 05, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »
After St. Anger and Death Magnetic,  I'm expecting audiophile recording and mixing this time. Stop fooling around.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: March 05, 2015, 11:48:27 AM »
After St. Anger and Death Magnetic,  I'm expecting audiophile recording and mixing this time. Stop fooling around.

At least the band have addressed Death magnetic's sound in a negative fashion. They know it sounds bad.

I can't imagine the next album will sound as bad.  Lou Reed aside - Lulu actually sounded nice sonically. Fat guitars and drums.

Also their Ronnie Rising medley. The next album needs to sound like those. Bring back that signature Hetfield CRUNCH.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1316 on: March 05, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
Right. Most stores had a "Upcoming New Releases" board hanging up.

And there were still ways to follow a band. Kerrang had a great news section, that was very up to date.

Kerrang's distribution in the US was pretty spotty in the 80s, but in keeping with the thread Kerrang was how I found out when Master of Puppets was coming out.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: March 20, 2015, 05:15:27 PM »
How is this even possible?
https://bravewords.com/news/metallica-have-lost-more-money-than-theyve-made-according-to-authors-of-into-the-black

Is touring the US a losing money scenario for them?  Why don't the do a US arena tour?   (I stole that from one of the commenters) If IM can do it and be successful, why isnt Metallica doing this?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: March 20, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »
https://bravewords.com/news/metallica-have-lost-more-money-than-theyve-made-according-to-authors-of-into-the-black

2 x Orion Festivals which lost money.

1 x Lulu album which nobody bought

1 x 3D Concert movie which flopped badly

Honestly - the stupidest thing they did was - after releasing a well received comeback LP and successful  tour in 2008 -

they did nothing to follow it up and maintain that new momentum. They stopped dead in their tracks and let it all grind to a halt.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: March 20, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »
One thing I don't quite understand though...

Metallica as a business lost all that money but Metallica the individuals are still set for life.

Where does the money for the "business" side come from if the guys in the band don't pay for it ?

How do they seperate personal royalties from business funds ?

Anyone business minded care to help me out ?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1321 on: March 20, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
One thing I don't quite understand though...

Metallica as a business lost all that money but Metallica the individuals are still set for life.

Where does the money for the "business" side come from if the guys in the band don't pay for it ?

How do they seperate personal royalties from business funds ?

Anyone business minded care to help me out ?

Just an educated guess, but aren't business loses a tax write off?   The Metallica company keeps its members on the payroll, so they still get a check, but if the Metallica company loses money, there are ways to protect it financially.

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1322 on: March 21, 2015, 05:32:32 AM »
I expect the Metallica business to have built up fairly substantial reserves from past successes.

I'd also point out that the article only says "it's likely" that the business has lost money. They don't know for certain, as it's only based on the fact that there have been some financial disasters, but they won't know the details of how much money their successes have made. I imagine that, other than the Orion festival, most of their touring is quite profitable.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1323 on: March 21, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »

2 x Orion Festivals which lost money.

1 x Lulu album which nobody bought

1 x 3D Concert movie which flopped badly

Honestly - the stupidest thing they did was - after releasing a well received comeback LP and successful  tour in 2008 -

they did nothing to follow it up and maintain that new momentum. They stopped dead in their tracks and let it all grind to a halt.

I will add, on top of this, that them buying out their record rights, and the fact that they have HQ has to contribute. That place is insane, so to pay for that place, the staff, and all the gear in there cannot be cheap either.
---

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1324 on: March 21, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »
I expect the Metallica business to have built up fairly substantial reserves from past successes.

I'd also point out that the article only says "it's likely" that the business has lost money. They don't know for certain, as it's only based on the fact that there have been some financial disasters, but they won't know the details of how much money their successes have made. I imagine that, other than the Orion festival, most of their touring is quite profitable.

Their touring should be profitable.  Here are the boxscores of their last South America tour last year.

Metallica Estadio do Morumbi Sao Paulo, Brazil March 22, 2014 $5,701,630 61,742 / 63,347 1 / 0 $257.68, $77.30 T4F-Time For Fun

10 Metallica Estadio Unico Ciudad de La Plata Buenos Aires, Argentina March 29-30, 2014 $4,719,390 76,407 / 79,038 2 / 0 $124.87, $31.22 T4F-Time For Fun

12 Metallica Parque Bicentenario Quito, Ecuador March 18, 2014 $3,877,959 32,257 / 32,257 1 / 1 $225, $30 Evenpro Group/Move Concerts

15 Metallica Estadio Monumental Santiago, Chile March 27, 2014 $3,508,790 43,296 / 43,296 1 / 1 $170.18, $48.37 T4F-Time For Fun

18 Metallica Parque Simon Bolivar Bogota, Colombia March 16, 2014 $2,857,030 30,974 / 34,137 1 / 0 $156.23, $73.23 Evenpro Group/Move Concerts

21 Metallica Jockey Club Asuncion, Paraguay March 24, 2014 $2,256,140 28,277 / 32,200 1 / 0 $223.81, $40.29 Evenpro Group/Move Concerts

26 Metallica Estadio Nacional Lima, Peru March 20, 2014 $1,925,090 27,858 / 31,600 1 / 0 $164.23, $18.95 Evenpro Group/Move Concerts

https://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/139175/billboard-boxscore-04-12-14

At the very least, they are not certainly playing in front of half-emptied crowds in South America and they always going to be a huge draw in any European Summer festivals, no matter what kind of tour they want to do. 

It's just the other ventures that are the problem.  I mean sure, they probably want to do all of this (Lulu, Orion Festival, Through the Never Movie) because they feel like doing it and can afford to do to take a hit if it doesn't do well financially.  The problem is just that the fans just don't care as much.  The fans just want a new album out and an arena tour where they don't have to pay as much money for a ticket as a festival or a stadium shows.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1325 on: March 21, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »
I finally bought Load. It was $5 at Walmart. So was Master of Puppets, but I already have that. I think by next year Walmart wont have CDs anymore. Their CD section is more gutted than Target. In fact, every major store's CD section is shrinking more and more. It makes me sad. Fry's Electronics is selling most of their CDs for $5 too, but I haven't been there in a while so they could all be gone by now.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1326 on: March 21, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
It's a sad state of affairs, to go off topic for a moment, when a Barnes & Noble has more CDs in it than Best Buy. And right now, in a suburban area with about 300,000 people in it, there's only ONE dedicated music store, a FYE in a mall that's showing the classic early signs of retail death. I suspect in five years if I don't want to order a CD from online stores, I'll have to go to a really big city.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1327 on: March 21, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »
Yeah even FYE is dropping their prices a bit. I never liked that store though because of the prices. $20+ for a CD when everywhere else is charging $12 to $14 max. Get out of here with that shit. I don't plan on living in AZ forever so the biggest hit for me is not being able to go to the local record store, Zia, which there are many locations. I want to move back to Florida, and there isn't anything like Zia over there. I usual buy online anyway, but it's nice when you don't have to pay extra for shipping.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: March 23, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »
Record stores have been dying a slow painful death for awhile now and its spread to electronic stores that also sold music.  Oh well, that is life.  Eventually a CD will be a novelty the way records are today, people will still buy them but only the really hardcore music fans and audiophiles.  I personally stopped buying CDs a long time ago.  Amazon with instant MP3 downloads ended that for me.  CDs also take up space.  Its just the way of evolution.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1329 on: March 23, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
But it's beautiful, beautiful space.