Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379822 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1225 on: May 16, 2014, 02:47:42 AM »
Only good sounding Rick Rubin album I owne is Blue Garden by Masters of the Universe.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1226 on: May 16, 2014, 04:59:50 AM »
He's responsible for so many amazing albums in the past, it's not even funny.   There was a time when anything the guy touched was guaranteed to be fantastic.   I have no idea what happened.   Everything after Blood Sugar Sex Magic has been awful.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1227 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
He's responsible for so many amazing albums in the past, it's not even funny.   There was a time when anything the guy touched was guaranteed to be fantastic.   I have no idea what happened.   Everything after Blood Sugar Sex Magic has been awful.

That record itself is amazing though.. weird.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1228 on: May 16, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Everything after Blood Sugar Sex Magic has been awful.
Say what you want about the sound quality(which I think sounds fine) but the Red Hot Chili Peppers are still amazing. I'm With You was amazing as were the all of the b-sides they released.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: May 16, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »
Everything after Blood Sugar Sex Magic has been awful.

No, just No. Californication and By The Way are AMAZING.

Hell I even like One Hot Minute quite a bit.  Not a super fan of anything after By The Way, though. 

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1230 on: May 16, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure jammin is talking about the sound quality of the albums, not necessarily the overall quality of the songs or the albums.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1231 on: May 16, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »
The Sound for I'm With You has always sounded just fine to me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: May 28, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
Here you go. Frayed played live for the first time ever.

Not bad sound .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuZ7gJS6hk

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Toy soldiers off to war!
« Reply #1233 on: May 28, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »
Very well done. Lars even appeared to nail the all-important drum fill or if it was off in any way it was virtually unnoticeable. Maybe this'll give 'em the motivation to drag some more shit out of the closet like Where the Wild Things are.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: May 28, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
They said they've been practicing more obscure stuff recently like Unforgiven 2.

They're playing St. Anger this tour too. I'm interested in hearing that with Lars new abilities and James now voice.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1235 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
Very well done. Lars even appeared to nail the all-important drum fill or if it was off in any way it was virtually unnoticeable. Maybe this'll give 'em the motivation to drag some more shit out of the closet like Where the Wild Things are.

The fill was a tad late and slower, but I'm happy he actually did it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1236 on: May 28, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
It's kinda funny, but all the Germany shows are going to have St. Anger on it.  Was that track a major hit there?  Hopefully, there will be a proshot/live stream on it as well as the entire Rock AM Ring festival show and other band performances like A7X and Alter Bridge.  I would not leave that stream at all during that day if there is one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1237 on: May 28, 2014, 11:23:03 PM »
That wasn't bad. They played the whole song, and attempted everything as it was on the album. As usual, Lars wasn't that tight, but he kept the right tempo without going fast, and didn't screw up too badly. Hammett did a decent job on the solo, and Hetfield was good as usual.
I still don't think the song is that great, but I'd like to see them play the rarer stuff a bit more.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1238 on: May 28, 2014, 11:43:47 PM »
Fixxxer or Low Man's Lyric would be nice as would Carpe Diem Baby.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1239 on: May 29, 2014, 12:44:13 AM »
That was great! Lars was a lot better than normal, especially during 'THE fill'. Kirk wasn't really tight with the solo, but whatever. Overall the song sounded great and I'm surprised at how good James' vocals are getting.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1240 on: May 29, 2014, 03:31:45 AM »
I still don't think the song is that great, but I'd like to see them play the rarer stuff a bit more.
I can't really see that happening with this By Request thing they're doing now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1241 on: May 29, 2014, 09:17:41 AM »
Yeah, the fill was a tad slower but I'm still stoked he actually played it and that he was so faithful to the drum parts.

I'm actually happy their playing some St. Anger stuff, if only to bring some diversity to the sets. They sorely need it!

Also, a few days ago The Black Album crossed the 16 million records sold line it's officially the biggest selling record of the SoundScan era.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:23:56 AM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1242 on: May 29, 2014, 09:30:07 AM »
Apart from a few minor changes it really feels like they have played the same setlist for the last 10 years or so. I know the casual fans are probably the biggest part of their fanbase, and it makes sense to play mostly classics, but it would be fun seeing them bring out some oddballs from Load/ReLoad or even St.Anger.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1243 on: May 29, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
The St. Anger songs would be pretty energetic live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1244 on: May 30, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »
That Frayed Ends performance was pretty damn good except for the solo. One of my favourite songs from AJFA, cool to see it finally played live in its entirety.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1245 on: May 30, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
That Frayed Ends performance was pretty damn good except for the solo. One of my favourite songs from AJFA, cool to see it finally played live in its entirety.
If Kirk were to practise a lot more, and if he were to be able to nail the solo, Metallica would be really fun to see live again. I mean, Lars nowadays isn't a very good drummer still, but he is a lot better than he was 10 (or even 5) years ago. James is only getting better and Robert is always good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: May 30, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »
While I have never seen Metallica live before, If I were to see them, Id hope they wouldnt too their standard tour and actually play some different tunes.  I have a few of the DVDs and Blu Rays so I dont really have an interest in seeing all the same stuff they always play.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1247 on: May 30, 2014, 03:52:48 PM »
^True that, I've seen them once but I'd only go see them again if the setlists were less 'standard'.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1248 on: May 30, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »
Wouldn't count on it for now. Bread and butter is bread and butter with them it seems. Not griping either cuz their setlists are really quite fantastic and are only weighed down by redundancy, not content.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: May 30, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »
When people say " You hate hearing Sandman live until you go and see Metallica - then you want them to play it "

Nope. If I saw Metallica live for the first time and they didn't play Nothing, Sad, Sand or Seek - i'd be a very happy bunny.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: May 30, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »
I'd be pissed off if I'd paid ~$170 (it was around that when I saw them) and didn't get to see a lot of those known songs. I do like surprises too, but stick them in other slots (such as instead of the chunk of DM they played). But I want to hear Enter Sandman, Seek and Destroy, Master of Puppets etc. Seeing a live clip on Youtube a hundred times is not the same as being there live.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1251 on: May 30, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »
Word. I saw them for the first (and only) time on the St. Anger tour and this was the setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2004/new-orleans-arena-new-orleans-la-33d6dc8d.html

Blackened
Fuel
Harvester of Sorrow
No Leaf Clover
Wherever I May Roam
The Unforgiven
The God that Failed
St. Anger
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
Battery

Encore:

Sad but True
Nothing Else Matters
Master of Puppets
One
Enter Sandman

Encore 2:

Disposable Heroes
Seek & Destroy

It fucking ripped my dick off with its awesomeness. I got white girl wasted off of piss and my neck hurt for the next four days from headbanging like a PCP-fueled harlot sucking dick for her next fix. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: May 30, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »
This was the setlist when I saw them-
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2010/acer-arena-sydney-australia-43d55b1b.html

With a back catalogue like Metallica's, do they even have bad setlists?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1253 on: May 30, 2014, 11:23:15 PM »
Nigga, you got to see Through the Never...AJFA........

...AND Motorbreath?!?!?!?!?!?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1254 on: May 30, 2014, 11:38:44 PM »
Here's the setlist I got when I saw them:

:sadpanda:

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1255 on: May 30, 2014, 11:53:23 PM »
Sad Panda's a misunderstood, grandiose epic. Stop being a spoiled bitch and eat your porridge.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: May 31, 2014, 12:08:28 AM »
I think the thing that makes the live staples fun for me is the energy of the crowd.  When a band plays a deep cut from a one of their less popular albums, there are going to be people in the crowd who love it, but there are also going to be people in the crowd who hate it, as well as people who just don't give a fuck about it, and potentially even a few people who have never even heard it.  On the other hand, when a band lays a live staple and traditional fan favorite, yes, there are going to be some people who are sick of it, but the vocal majority are going to be singing along and rocking the fuck out, and that energy makes for a great experience. 

For example, when I went to see Iron Maiden, I know there were people in the audience who had been to hundreds of Maiden concerts and were sick to death of hearing Fear of the Dark.  You know what I would say to those people?  'Tough shit.'  It was my first time seeing them, and I would have been severely disappointed if I didn't get to experience FotD.  There's a reason they keep playing that song - it's an amazing audience participation song, and it makes for a wonderful live atmosphere. 

Same thing goes with some of the Metallica staples for me.  Even if they aren't necessarily my favorite songs, I'm going to love the experience, because I'm going to be surrounded by a sea of people who are loving it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1257 on: May 31, 2014, 12:42:37 AM »
I really wish they'd switch up the set closer. Cuz Seek & Destroy, while a great song, is getting EXTREMELY boring and predictable at the end.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1258 on: May 31, 2014, 12:58:40 AM »
Seek is, at best, a good to pretty good song. Nothing great. The intro is really the only noteworthy thing about it and much of it is bland. I'd easily consider all of these KEA tracks better:

The Four Horsemen
Motorbreath
Jump in the Fire
Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)
Whiplash
Phantom Lord
No Remorse

So basically, I only consider it better than Hit the Lights (as far as KEA goes) and might enjoy Metal Militia more than it on any given day.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: May 31, 2014, 01:00:36 AM »
I think the thing that makes the live staples fun for me is the energy of the crowd.  When a band plays a deep cut from a one of their less popular albums, there are going to be people in the crowd who love it, but there are also going to be people in the crowd who hate it, as well as people who just don't give a fuck about it, and potentially even a few people who have never even heard it.  On the other hand, when a band lays a live staple and traditional fan favorite, yes, there are going to be some people who are sick of it, but the vocal majority are going to be singing along and rocking the fuck out, and that energy makes for a great experience. 

For example, when I went to see Iron Maiden, I know there were people in the audience who had been to hundreds of Maiden concerts and were sick to death of hearing Fear of the Dark.  You know what I would say to those people?  'Tough shit.'  It was my first time seeing them, and I would have been severely disappointed if I didn't get to experience FotD.  There's a reason they keep playing that song - it's an amazing audience participation song, and it makes for a wonderful live atmosphere. 

Same thing goes with some of the Metallica staples for me.  Even if they aren't necessarily my favorite songs, I'm going to love the experience, because I'm going to be surrounded by a sea of people who are loving it. 

Good points. :tup
The band may have played the same song live at every single show, but most of the audience is only seeing that one show, so they want to hear that song. And the audience response is a part of the live experience, for better or worse.
Luckily, Metallica is one of those bands that could play just about any random mixed setlist, and I'd probably be happy. They don't just have a couple of "hits" per album, and then some obscure filler; they have multiple classic albums of strong material that would almost all be great to hear played.