Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379754 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1050 on: March 19, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
James does sound awesome on that. Hearing the song clearer, it's not that good, but not bad. There's potential there though. After all, it's just a demo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1051 on: March 19, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »
I think I like it more after hearing the Studio Demo version... Cool song, nothing revolutionary for them, but I dig it.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
Pretty good song. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1053 on: March 19, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »
Video not available in Germany :censored #3#&6!0

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: March 19, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »

try changing "www." to the word "boo"

as in "booyoutube.com/blah blah blah

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: March 19, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »
The fact that they released the demo confirms that this song is not gonna touch the new album with a 10 foot pole, just like the last time they played a new song such a long time before they finish writing the album.
Cool song though, I like it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1056 on: March 19, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »

Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLSdUjeyi_4

They should keep the guitar melody that was supposed to appear at 6:27 (the one from the live version).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: March 19, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »
The band have hinted they may play a second new song this tour.

Hope so. Along with the Ronnie James Dio medley - that'll be three new 'tallica songs in as many weeks.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1058 on: March 19, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »

Offline TL

« Reply #1059 on: March 19, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
After a few listens, The Lords of Summer seems pretty promising. Nothing groundbreaking for them, but pretty solid.
A few tweaks, and they could really have something. James sounds fantastic. I think the bass could have stood to be a bit higher in the mix though.

If this is a sign of things to come, and they actually get around to making a new album, it could very well end up better than Death Magnetic, and I liked Death Magnetic.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1060 on: March 19, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »
Sounds very promising, If this is a sign of whats to come it should be great. Just keep Rick Rubin the hell away from it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: March 19, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »
Sounds very promising, If this is a sign of whats to come it should be great. Just keep Rick Rubin the hell away from it.

I don't know what artists see in Rick Rubin. Out of the albums he's worked on that I've heard, I don't think any of them were great. Actually, the two recent ones that come to mind both just sound like stripped back clones of their former selves.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1062 on: March 19, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »

I don't know what artists see in Rick Rubin. Out of the albums he's worked on that I've heard, I don't think any of them were great. Actually, the two recent ones that come to mind both just sound like stripped back clones of their former selves.

Licenced to Ill from the Beasties is a classic.   And the first two albums he did with Slayer were un-freakin-believable.    Bloodsugarsexmagik was pretty good.   But after that, I haven't heard a single thing I thought was good.    I had such high hopes for his collaboration with AC/DC, and I was really underwhelmed.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1063 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:32 PM »

Red Hot Chili Peppers, I mean even if you don't like their music, their albums sound great.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1064 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »
Oh yeah...and the stuff he did for both Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond were both pretty good.    At least he got them to just stop being corporate musicians and just write music the way they used to.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: March 19, 2014, 11:46:53 PM »

Licenced to Ill from the Beasties is a classic.   And the first two albums he did with Slayer were un-freakin-believable.    Bloodsugarsexmagik was pretty good.   But after that, I haven't heard a single thing I thought was good.    I had such high hopes for his collaboration with AC/DC, and I was really underwhelmed.

I'm not into Beastie Boys or Slayer, so I can't comment on those. Blood Sugar Sex Magik was really good, but that's also over 20 years ago now. I was more focused on his more recent output.
Out of his recent ones, I just don't much like his approach. Going back to Bob Rock probably wouldn't be a good move for them given their later work with him. I'd like to see them with Kevin Shirley, but to be fair, I'd like to see every band with Kevin Shirley. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: March 20, 2014, 02:18:45 AM »
Funnily enough as soon as you started talking about Rubin - Kevin Shirley came to mind as someone who seems to generate a similar response ("hands off my band") from a whole heap of people I know ,more so in recent years.  I don't follow who produces what close enough to comment .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: March 20, 2014, 03:09:55 AM »
I don't generally follow that kind of thing aside from certain bands and certain producers, especially when an album is either exceptionally good or exceptionally bad.
It also depends on the band. Certain producers will work with certain bands better than with others, but in terms of the sound of the instruments and mixing, I pretty consistently love Kevin Shirley's work. Rick Rubin's recent output (as far as my musical interests go) hasn't wowed me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: March 20, 2014, 06:26:08 AM »
Rick's System Of A Down albums sounded good but I don't think he's done anything good since then.

Most of the time - he gets artists to write decent songs again - but then he fucks up the audio.

Luckily Metallica are well aware of the furore surrounding Death Magnetic's audio and they won't let it happen again.

Rubin's albums are too dry too.

I'd like Brendan O Brian or Kevin Shirley or Steven Wilson ( a Metallica album like Watershed ?! ).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: March 20, 2014, 06:45:42 AM »
Luckily Metallica are well aware of the furore surrounding Death Magnetic's audio and they won't let it happen again.

Did they say that? Hopefully they go all the way on that and release a really dynamic album.
I agree that DM was too dry, and raw. It was a very well recorded album though, shame about the brickwalling.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: March 20, 2014, 06:58:36 AM »
Well they have commented on it in an apologetic way.

They said they weren't there for the mastering and they wouldn't do that again.

The next album will probably sound better just by comparison.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: March 20, 2014, 07:01:12 AM »
It will sound better if for no other reason than the fact it could not possibly sound any worse without literally being white noise. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: March 20, 2014, 07:05:54 AM »
Plus the fact that up until then - Metallica studio albums had god mastering.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: March 20, 2014, 07:17:24 AM »
I think the infrequency of their albums this millennium would be a big part of that. Everything before that was before the loudness war was as bad as it is now, so albums before that generally had better mastering anyway.

That said, Load/Reload/Garage Inc/St Anger all have a dynamic range of around 6, which is borderline. They're about as good sounding as DR6's can be though, and I have no problem with the mastering on those albums. I'd be content if the new album sounded as good as any of them. DM was absolutely unlistenably bad.

Offline TL

« Reply #1074 on: March 20, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
It was definitely fortunate that Death Magnetic happened to end up as a full album feature in Guitar Hero around that time, and that due to the mixing/mastering process for that game, there exists a version of the album that isn't completely brick walled.

The original release has an overall DR rating of about 3. The Guitar Hero version is about 12/13, with a low point of 11. It's night and day.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: March 20, 2014, 09:28:55 AM »
It was definitely fortunate that Death Magnetic happened to end up as a full album feature in Guitar Hero around that time, and that due to the mixing/mastering process for that game, there exists a version of the album that isn't completely brick walled.

The original release has an overall DR rating of about 3. The Guitar Hero version is about 12/13, with a low point of 11. It's night and day.

That's the only version I've listened to since it came out. Thanks god for those games giving us unmastered versions of these songs, plus stems.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1076 on: March 20, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »

Eh, while I admit the Guitar Hero version is slightly better, it still isn't that great.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1077 on: March 20, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »
Finally got around to listening to the new song. Has potential. Kind of hope they edit it down to about six and a half minutes, it's a couple of minutes too long as it stands now. James sounds phenomenal though. 
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: March 20, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »
I wanna know how James sounds so good.

His voice has been pretty good since 2012 but this is something else.

Plus Lars doesn't appear to be rushing on this song. Unless they're recording to a click - which I doubt since it's only a demo...

It sounds like they're all trying to up their game. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: March 20, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »
Just listened to the new song........hmmm.......not really digging it at all to be honest.

I will say some of the riffs and the middle instrumental section has a lot of King Diamond influence.  That part was pretty cool.  But Kirk's solo sucks as usual.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: March 21, 2014, 01:13:19 AM »
I wanna know how James sounds so good.

His voice has been pretty good since 2012 but this is something else.

Plus Lars doesn't appear to be rushing on this song. Unless they're recording to a click - which I doubt since it's only a demo...

It sounds like they're all trying to up their game. 

Even for a demo I think it's very possible they're using a click, although he also kept a lid on the tempo live too, so maybe not. He's definitely sounding more solid, I have to give him that much. I'm hearing an improvement from every member.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: March 21, 2014, 04:47:08 AM »
James has said that he's been " working on his voice " and Lars says he practices more nowadays to music on his headphones in his downtime...

It reminds me of when they'd put out St Anger and all that time playing in the studio - they were as tight as f***

which makes me wonder if they've been in the studio a lot more than they are letting on.

Still - it's nice to hear them actually put some effort in.  For a long time it seemed like they couldn't care less about keeping their chops up.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1082 on: March 21, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
MetOnTour's live video of the premier of Lords of Summer in Bogotá:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8u6Ww1ZGeU

Pretty cool, multi camera, HD video of the song's live debut!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1083 on: March 22, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
I just watched the MetOnTour video of them playing Blackened in Colombia - it sounded quite good actually! It really does look like Lars has been practicing lately. Too bad they still skip the last bit of the solo though :/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: March 22, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »
James has definitely put more effort into his live voice than Mustaine ever has / will.