Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379866 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #980 on: March 17, 2014, 06:19:17 AM »
Me love Lars long time  :-*

That song actually sounds quite decent  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: March 17, 2014, 06:41:21 AM »
The arrangement is pretty much exactly what I was expecting but the music and performances were way better.

Offline YOWspotter

« Reply #982 on: March 17, 2014, 08:13:17 AM »
Nice, solid rocker.  I can't wait to hear the sound board version.

If this is the direction they're heading for the new album, I approve.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #983 on: March 17, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »
I enjoyed that song, was it amazing? Not really, but it was definitely a pretty solid rocker.  Lars was playing much better in that clip too, which is good to see.

Hearing that song makes me look forward to hearing more new music from them, who knows how long that will take but, they successfully peaked my interest again with that tune.

The big question for me will be how that song ends up translating on the album, meaning, will the production help or hurt the song itself?  Honestly if they took that song exactly like they just performed it, same arrangement, same parts, same vocals, and recorded it with Black Album quality sonics, I would buy it in a heartbeat and rock out to it hard!  :metal

On the flip side, if recent albums are indicators of the sonic treatment this song could receive in the studio, the finished product would be much less exciting, to me at least.

Overall though, I liked the song and it is a promising move forward for the band, I just hope a solid song doesn't get hurt by sub-par recording, mixing, and mastering.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #984 on: March 17, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »
WHERE IS LARS AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH HIM!!!

Song sounds real good but the biggest surprise is Lars for sure!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #985 on: March 17, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
Woah. I was definitely surprised by Lars' performance. Like others have said, pretty solid.

I think it was pretty alright. I especially liked the instrumental section. I've heard them go on record saying that it sounds very much like a continuation of DM, and if this is the direction they're going for, you won't hear any complaints from me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #986 on: March 17, 2014, 11:18:05 AM »
It's a good Metallica song.   

If I have an issue with it, it's the same issue I've had with Metallica since 1989.   

Metallica almost single handedly invented a new genre with KEA.   Then perfected and created *the* template for almost every thrash metal album that would ever after it with RtL.   Heck, it worked so well that they repeated the format twice themselves.   The famous trifecta albums all follow a nearly identical format that would be copied by very nearly EVERYONE.   

But by the third album with that format (AJFA) Metallica was becoming "Metallica by the numbers".    I wanted them to change.   I DIDN'T want Ride the Lightning - Part 4.    I knew that the next album was either going to have to break new ground, or Metallica was dead in the water.   I just didn't want them to commercialize.    They could have shortened the songs and gone MORE brutal.   They could have streamlined ideas and pursued different influences to incorporate into the speed metal they were already putting out.    They had been inspired, and practically invented a new style of music...couldn't they push themselves into unexplored territory and invent *something else* that was new?    Nope, instead they just decided to simplify, commercialize, and just release a really good Judas Priest album.   And it made them metal legends, and millionaires.   

Then they went grunge/alt-rock/country-western and people went nuts.   So now they figure they have to go back to "Metallica by the numbers" and release that "Ride the Lightning Part 4" that everyone (but not me) seemed to want.     I'm glad it's working for them.   Looks like the new album will be "Ride the Lightning Part 5", and people are really digging that.    I'm happy for them and their fans.   

It is a good Metallica song....but I've heard it.    It's like a new Motorhead song.   I haven't heard it yet, but I have heard it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #987 on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
How was AJfA... by the numbers?
Each Metallica album has it's own identity, each one with a different aesthetic feel to it, I don't see how you could say any were by the numbers, except for DM which is still a great album if you ask me.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:31:22 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: March 17, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
Death Magnetic was probably the first album where they deliberately set out to sound like an older version of themselves.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #989 on: March 17, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
Start with a thrasher - FFWF, Battery, Blackened
Epic title track - RtL, MoP, AJFA
Mid tempo anthem - FWtBT, TTTSNB, EOTB
Ballad becomes thrasher - FtB, WHS, One

The side 2's of each album rearrange slightly, but the pieces are all there.

Mini-epic anthem - CD, DH, FEOS
Mid tempo bouncer - Escape, LM, (then AJFA has two of these on side two with SS and HoS)
Instrumental - CoK, Orion, TLiTD
Thrasher - TUI, DI, DE

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: March 17, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »
my biggest problem with Metallica is the best albums (KEA-AJFA) they were angry, drug using alcohol swilling musicians and it came across in the agressive nature of the albums. They got older, sober and starting having families and the anger/agression disappeared
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #991 on: March 17, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »
my biggest problem with Metallica is the best albums (KEA-AJFA) they were angry, drug using alcohol swilling musicians and it came across in the agressive nature of the albums. They got older, sober and starting having families and the anger/agression disappeared

Agreed.  That's the thing about Metallica's style of music (which they helped to invent).  In order to really do it well, you kind of have to be pissed off and messed up to convey the proper attitude to go along with the music.  As you mentioned, in the early days they had that attitude, now not so much.

I would argue that as far as their live shows are concerned, that period of anger, drug use, etc... lasted way past the AJFA days, personally I think their Black Album tour was their peak as a live act, but I still agree with your point.  The tricky part is that you can't really wish their lives to go back to that, just so they can make great songs again.  I would never wish any of them, especially James to go back to that lifestyle, they are happy now and thats great, the reality is that their music will just probably never capture that aggression and anger again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: March 17, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »

Mid tempo bouncer - Escape, LM, (then AJFA has two of these on side two with SS and HoS)
Thrasher - TUI, DI, DE

They tried to go back to this arrangement on DM too. Albeit with 10 songs and not 8

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #993 on: March 17, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »
You guys, you don't have to be a messed up, angry person to write aggressive music. Check out Sockweb, a grindcore duo consisting of a dad and his 7 year old daughter. Some heavy as fuck music, and they're just having fun.

I attribute the change partially just due to the music being very demanding to play, especially as you get older.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #994 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:26 PM »
You guys, you don't have to be a messed up, angry person to write aggressive music. Check out Sockweb, a grindcore duo consisting of a dad and his 7 year old daughter. Some heavy as fuck music, and they're just having fun.

I attribute the change partially just due to the music being very demanding to play, especially as you get older.

Sure I guess anybody could write heavy guitar riffs and put double bass drums to them, whether those people are happy or not doesn't really matter.  For me it came down to the attitude of the riffs and drums on early Metallica stuff, it had a different vibe to it because of the emotion behind it.  I just googled Sockweb quickly because I had never heard of them before and listened to a song. It had heavy guitar riffs and really fast drumming but didn't convey any emotion to me at all, keep in mind I only listened to one song.  Early Metallica stuff, to me, was great because of the emotion and attitude behind each riff.

I guess I'm not saying that is a general rule for every heavy band out there, I love a bunch of heavy rock/metal Christian bands who aren't angry or on drugs but make great music.  I was just saying that it seems like my favorite Metallica material was created when the band had that lifestyle and attitude, so maybe for Metallica and some other bands similar to them, is it something to be considered.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #995 on: March 17, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
The thing is, and this is just the process of life, is that Metallica back in the 80s had probably an Us vs Them mentality with those guys being US against everything (including glam metal, I believe) and once they pretty much conquered all there is left to conquer, what is there left to do?  Now we are in the 10s and they are now the them in the us vs them mentality.

A better way to address this is that Metallica used to be underdogs of sorts and now they are no longer underdogs and that they don't that chip in the shoulder anymore and quite honestly, this was by no means their fault.  It is just how life is.  So if they go ahead release an album like DM within x amount of years, that's fine.  I can't really ask for anything more than that from them, these days. 

Honestly, if all four guys are content with their lifestyle, they don't really have to push the envelope creatively.  I mean, obviously, we want them to that and make some compelling songs in the process, but they don't have to fulfill any obligations of that sort.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »
The thing is, and this is just the process of life, is that Metallica back in the 80s had probably an Us vs Them mentality with those guys being US against everything (including glam metal, I believe) and once they pretty much conquered all there is left to conquer, what is there left to do?  Now we are in the 10s and they are now the them in the us vs them mentality.

A better way to address this is that Metallica used to be underdogs of sorts and now they are no longer underdogs and that they don't that chip in the shoulder anymore and quite honestly, this was by no means their fault.  It is just how life is.  So if they go ahead release an album like DM within x amount of years, that's fine.  I can't really ask for anything more than that from them, these days. 

Honestly, if all four guys are content with their lifestyle, they don't really have to push the envelope creatively.  I mean, obviously, we want them to that and make some compelling songs in the process, but they don't have to fulfill any obligations of that sort.

Yes. All that. But - just jam and write - try not to re-write Metallica or Master of Puppets or And Justice For All. Just jam and see what happens.

Music is best when it flows out of you - not when it is rigidly forced into a certain style or genre.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #997 on: March 17, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »
FUCK I DIDN'T GO TO THE CONCERT KILL ME NOW JUST FUCKING KILL ME

Lords of Summer seems like another step in the right direction after Beyond Magnetic. Good Track.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #998 on: March 17, 2014, 06:36:53 PM »
Lords of Phantom
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #999 on: March 17, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »

Thrasher - TUI, DI, DE

Thanks for ruining Metallica for me.

Just kidding, but damn, they are pretty formulaic aren't they?

Didn't care for the new song, but I didn't care for DM either.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1000 on: March 17, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »

Thrasher - TUI, DI, DE

Thanks for ruining Metallica for me.

Just kidding, but damn, they are pretty formulaic aren't they?

It's accurate, but I think that it understates these albums quite a bit and gives them less credit than they deserve.

Structurally, they might fall into formula, but actually listening to them gives different moods and atmospheres altogether.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1001 on: March 18, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
DM was the first time they stopped progressing as a band and basically became a nostalgia act. DM was throwing a bone to the stubborn thrash fans who won't accept anything that isn't mindlessly thrashing an E string at 200bpm. And DM proved that that is literally all those fans wanted, because that album wasn't even worthy of tying TBA's shoes.

Christ dude. We get it. You're incapable of accepting that some people didn't like tba/Loads for what they were, not just because they were shit albums in some folks' opinions so you insist on being a generalizing, condescending snob toward them even though many of us don't even have thrash in our top five favorite genres.

As for mixing it up? Any significant change is mixing it up. It still was way simplistic, bland, and mediocre to many of us. I can't change the fact that those three (two, really) albums came out but if some people liked them then I'm glad someone got something out of 'em.

Basically DM provides for many of us the much-needed relief from Load-SA that tba provided for you from the golden three though you probably like the golden three a lot more than the Load-SA dissentors liked that era yet instead of realizing that both sides of this argument have similar gripes, you act like there's some kind of objective basis for your viewpoint and that the others are some Exodus shirt-wearing neanderthals.

:chill

Well, you're always using that "mindlessly thrashing" phrase and it just doesn't fit. It takes much more skill and "mind" to play the stuff on AJFA than the stuff on TBA. Talk about mindless - the same plodding bass/snare beat in every single song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1002 on: March 18, 2014, 09:49:06 AM »
I could make the same generalization about the thrash albums all reusing that same fast metal drum beat (Blackened, Shortest Straw, Damage Inc, Disposable Heroes, Battery, Metal Militia, Whiplash, Motorbreath, Hit The Lights etc etc), so that's a hypocritical argument to start with. TBA has plenty of creative drum fills and patterns, more creative than double kicker and a big tom fill. Let's face it, Lars has never been the most creative drummer in the world, so he's not a great example.
Doesn't seem to be any more "mind" to it at all (whatever that even means). Faster =/= better. The songwriting on TBA is much more skillful, involving more well crafted melodies and harmonies.

And I also made my opinion without the angry personal attack like b_f did. There's that......
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1003 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
Yeah, anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge fan of mindless thrash. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

FYI, The Black Album is a little better than Death Magnetic*, but the latter is miles better than Load and ReLoad.  HTH.

*Thanks to the non-radio cuts like Don't Tread On Me, Of Wolf and Man, The God That Failed and My Friend of Misery.  The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters both still make me want to vomit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »
I'd take the entire 90 - 00 Metallica over the 00 - 10 Metallica any day   

Metallica - Load - Reload - Garage inc - S&M

Vs

St. Anger - Some kind of monster - death magnetic - lulu - through the never.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1005 on: March 18, 2014, 09:58:49 AM »

Is that even a competition? :lol
But what would you take between '80s Metallica and '90s Metallica? I know most people would consider that a no contest, but that would be a tough call for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1006 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:50 AM »
Yeah, that's no contest.  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1007 on: March 18, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
The Black Album is actually a really good album, but I would be fine with never hearing Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters ever again.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1008 on: March 18, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »
I think I am the only human being on earth who would actually prefer 00-10 over 90-00. Oh well.  :angel:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1009 on: March 18, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
Load could be Metallica's best album.

Get at me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: March 18, 2014, 01:21:23 PM »

Get at me.

I prefer it to and justice for all :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: March 18, 2014, 01:23:26 PM »

Is that even a competition? :lol
But what would you take between '80s Metallica and '90s Metallica? I know most people would consider that a no contest, but that would be a tough call for me.

Kill Vs Metallica ? I Take Metallica

Ride Vs Load ? I take Ride - but just barely

Master Vs Reload ? Master - no contest

Justice Vs Garage Inc ? Garage for sound quality but Justice for the songs.

However - i'd take Load and Reload over Kill and Justice too.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: March 18, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »

Get at me.

You're not alone.  For me, it's a close call between Load and Ride the Lightning.  I can't really pick a definitive favorite between the two at this point, but they are definitely my top two, with Master of Puppets taking third place. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1013 on: March 18, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
Master is easily their best. A masterpiece start to finish with AJFA close behind. Then I would say Ride is third, while TBA and Load are pretty great as well, so overall, nothing beats '80's Metallica.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: March 18, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »
AJFA is probably sixth or seventh in my rankings, personally. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa