Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379818 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #945 on: January 31, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
I did and he didn't give much new info away.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: January 31, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
I bet Lars doesn't play that awesome drum bit at the 4 minute mark.
It's really short, but that is one of my favourite drum fills in any Metallica song.
There's a similar drum fill in Rebel Of Babylon - albeit played with much less precision.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: February 20, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
New Kirk Hammett interview in Kerrang! this week.

" We still have not started ".

JFC. Does anyone really even care anymore ?

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #948 on: February 20, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »
Yes.  But the waiting always sucks. :tdwn

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #949 on: February 20, 2014, 09:57:51 PM »
New Kirk Hammett interview in Kerrang! this week.

" We still have not started ".

JFC. Does anyone really even care anymore ?

Well, I'll still listen to anything new from Metallica when they are good and ready although they should have been good and ready for about the last, let's say, three years or so.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:10 AM »
If they'd started in 2011 when they originally planned to instead of doing the movie which nobody went to see - the album would be pretty much out now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: March 16, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »
Metallica are playing a brand new song at their gig tonight.

It should be all over the net tomorrow but i'm not holding out much hope of it being any good.

"Death is Not the End" was slightly better than St Anger material but they chopped it up and made two better songs out of it.

And " Vulturus" was laughable.

I think either it will be short-ish and punchy like Cyanide or really too long like All nightmare Long or Death is Not the End.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #952 on: March 16, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »

It should be all over the net tomorrow but i'm not holding out much hope of it being any good.

::) ::) ::)  Yep, let's start the pre-judging and hating BEFORE they even play the new song.  There's no possible way it could be any good....   ::)

Frankly, I appreciate that they try new stuff out and then refine it based on how it feels live and how the crowd reacts.  Not many bands of that size would do that.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #953 on: March 16, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
I'm with Rick. Kotowboy, I wonder what enjoyment you get out of listening to Metallica or posting in this thread since upwards of 90% of your posts regarding them are blatantly negative.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #954 on: March 16, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »

::) ::) ::)  Yep, let's start the pre-judging and hating BEFORE they even play the new song.  There's no possible way it could be any good....   ::)

Frankly, I appreciate that they try new stuff out and then refine it based on how it feels live and how the crowd reacts.  Not many bands of that size would do that.

Basically this. I know regardless they're gonna get shit but before we've even heard the song, that's ridiculous.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #955 on: March 16, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »
We'll see how it goes. I'm expecting DM rehash pt 2. I think they're past the point of surprising us any more. They're settled into their rut.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #956 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:41 PM »
In my opinion, the rut somewhat began on the black album and has continued to the present. DM was at least throwing a bone to those whom never acquired the taste of the Loads or SA.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: March 16, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »
Only if you mistake "rut" for "music I don't like". That was actually the period where they mixed it up the most.
RTL/MOP/AJFA were all very samey, as good as they were. They really needed to break it up at that point, and TBA did that very successfully. Then they threw a curveball with Load and Reload instead of just making TBA pt 2. Then they did an orchestral live album. They were still doing what they wanted at that point, and doing unexpected things. And then they did SA, which while it sucked, was still starkly different in many ways.

DM was the first time they stopped progressing as a band and basically became a nostalgia act. DM was throwing a bone to the stubborn thrash fans who won't accept anything that isn't mindlessly thrashing an E string at 200bpm. And DM proved that that is literally all those fans wanted, because that album wasn't even worthy of tying TBA's shoes.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #958 on: March 16, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
Found a small clip of it.  Sounds promising but I'm sure some of you will find something to nitpick at it that makes it look unsatisfying to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ3f176wFZM

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
I can't judge a song from that short a clip, especially with no chorus or vocal sections at all, but I liked what I heard. It sounded more neutral/natural in style for Metallica, and not forced.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #960 on: March 16, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
DM was the first time they stopped progressing as a band and basically became a nostalgia act. DM was throwing a bone to the stubborn thrash fans who won't accept anything that isn't mindlessly thrashing an E string at 200bpm. And DM proved that that is literally all those fans wanted, because that album wasn't even worthy of tying TBA's shoes.

Christ dude. We get it. You're incapable of accepting that some people didn't like tba/Loads for what they were, not just because they were shit albums in some folks' opinions so you insist on being a generalizing, condescending snob toward them even though many of us don't even have thrash in our top five favorite genres.

As for mixing it up? Any significant change is mixing it up. It still was way simplistic, bland, and mediocre to many of us. I can't change the fact that those three (two, really) albums came out but if some people liked them then I'm glad someone got something out of 'em.

Basically DM provides for many of us the much-needed relief from Load-SA that tba provided for you from the golden three though you probably like the golden three a lot more than the Load-SA dissentors liked that era yet instead of realizing that both sides of this argument have similar gripes, you act like there's some kind of objective basis for your viewpoint and that the others are some Exodus shirt-wearing neanderthals.

Offline adace

« Reply #961 on: March 16, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
Liking what I hear in that short clip. Can't wait to hear the whole thing. :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: March 16, 2014, 09:10:49 PM »
......and a big hello to all you Exodus fans - if you can read this  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #963 on: March 16, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
Are we really dissing Exodus in here? Exodus are so rad. :I

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: March 16, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »
Are we really dissing Exodus in here? Exodus are so rad. :I

I'm not ..............was just having a bit of fun with what black_floyd said at the end of his post.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: March 16, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »

Christ dude. We get it. You're incapable of accepting that some people didn't like tba/Loads for what they were, not just because they were shit albums in some folks' opinions so you insist on being a generalizing, condescending snob toward them even though many of us don't even have thrash in our top five favorite genres.

As for mixing it up? Any significant change is mixing it up. It still was way simplistic, bland, and mediocre to many of us. I can't change the fact that those three (two, really) albums came out but if some people liked them then I'm glad someone got something out of 'em.

Basically DM provides for many of us the much-needed relief from Load-SA that tba provided for you from the golden three though you probably like the golden three a lot more than the Load-SA dissentors liked that era yet instead of realizing that both sides of this argument have similar gripes, you act like there's some kind of objective basis for your viewpoint and that the others are some Exodus shirt-wearing neanderthals.

:chill

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #966 on: March 16, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
In other news...

I'm digging what I hear in that clip. It's far too early to give a solid opinion, not to mention from a 15 second clip, but not bad.

Offline adace

« Reply #967 on: March 17, 2014, 01:02:55 AM »
Here's the whole song (best quality I could find):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rh_eL9Jlc

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #968 on: March 17, 2014, 01:26:04 AM »
I quite like that song.

EDIT: It's a bit on the long side though.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #969 on: March 17, 2014, 01:29:21 AM »
Well, it definitely sounds like a Metallica song, I'll give them that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:08 AM »
That was a good quality recording.

The song definitely had potential. It was a bit bloated in the intro riffing, and the vocal melodies were back to very simplistic, but it had some really good riffing, and the instrumental section sounded very AJFA to me, with the guitar harmonies followed by the solo.
And I was impressed with their performance. Lars was downright solid, so the riffing was super tight, Hetfield was sounding good, and Hammett's soloing was ok too.

It sounds like the album might be going in the right direction. But what is a lord of summer? That doesn't sound very threatening or metal. It sounds like someone's about to throw a beach party.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #971 on: March 17, 2014, 04:52:09 AM »
I liked the song, pretty much what I expected from Metallica at this point.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: March 17, 2014, 06:00:26 AM »
Actually pretty decent.

Everyone seemed to be on top form especially Lars who was SOL-ID.

James sounded strong too. The high notes were powerful and he didn't sound like his voice would go at any second . He really has been getting help.

Looking forward to hearing the soundboard in a few days.

--And yes - i'd rather listen to Load than Death Magnetic too.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #973 on: March 17, 2014, 06:00:40 AM »

:iagree:  I'll give that a thumbs up -- definitely heading in the right direction there.  :tup They often take a new song idea and then carve it into a couple other pieces or whittle it down by the time it makes it to a CD, so I'm sure there will be more refinements.  I'm pleased.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #974 on: March 17, 2014, 06:02:03 AM »
The instrumental section is good, especially if compared to DM. The rest is average.

It sounds like the album might be going in the right direction. But what is a lord of summer? That doesn't sound very threatening or metal. It sounds like someone's about to throw a beach party.

Lord of [Insert menacing word] would be too generic  :lol
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: March 17, 2014, 06:04:05 AM »
My theory is that it could be a plea for the Gods to bring the "summer" of your life...i.e to move on from the "winter".

A plea to get out of a bad patch of your life ?

But then again it could be just a song about touring as they usually tour spring / summer time.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #976 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:23 AM »
On their Facebook post Metallica refer to the song as "a brand new song title (for now) "The Lords of Summer." "  So we'll see if the name sticks....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:41 AM »

:iagree:  I'll give that a thumbs up -- definitely heading in the right direction there.  :tup They often take a new song idea and then carve it into a couple other pieces or whittle it down by the time it makes it to a CD, so I'm sure there will be more refinements.  I'm pleased.

Yeah and this is *already* fuck loads better than Death Is Not The End. It doesn't sound so pieced together. It is long but it flows and you don't really notice it's 8 minutes long -

- whereas DINTE was just *long*. - So glad they chopped it up and made two better songs out of it. And really glad they ditched "Vulturus" altogether ! ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: March 17, 2014, 06:06:27 AM »
The instrumental section is good, especially if compared to DM. The rest is average.

Lord of [Insert menacing word] would be too generic  :lol

Then it would fit the music. :P
Lords of Winter could have worked, but seasons just aren't otherwise threatening. They should call it Lords of Time, and make it about Doctor Who!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: March 17, 2014, 06:16:05 AM »
I can see the YouTube comments :lol

"Lords of metal have returned. We wait Indonesia. Love you james rob Kirk Lars greatest band world "