Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379819 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #875 on: January 26, 2014, 06:20:03 AM »
I watched the first half hour of Through The Never yesterday with my girlfriend, only because we were waiting for an other movie to finish. It seemed pretty cool though. The only problem being Lars' drumming. My girlfriend is no drumming/rythmic fanatic at all, but she complained about the bad drumming right away. The opening staccato riff of Creeping Death.. why can't Lars actually 'count' the rests that are supposed to be in there? He can't even get it right for the official Metallica 3D movie.. geez.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: January 26, 2014, 06:25:18 AM »
He does tap the hi hat - but he usually just does it too fast.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #877 on: January 26, 2014, 06:28:43 AM »
It's such a shame because Metallica are basically legends. The rest of the band still plays well, but Lars just drags them down. The worst part is, that the rest of the band actually go along with the 'let's time every accent way too fast' style of Ulrich.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #878 on: January 26, 2014, 07:26:08 AM »
St. Anger is kickass. I'v been listening to it a lot lately. I'm not gonna start this argument again, I just want to express how much of a shame i feel it is that it's reputation is as a joke. I really hope in the years to come there will be more respect for it. I don't even think the band plays any of the songs live, do they?

Although I do wonder how a live performance of Invisible Kid would be. I'v never watched them play it. I'm gonna go look and see if there's a video.
I like St. Anger.  It's what I would call a "grower" because I like it more over time than I did initially.  And I agree that it's reputation will grow with time.  I tend to give it a spin in the CD player more often than "Load" or "Re-Load."  It's biggest problem is that Bob Rock didn't do his job by bothering to edit or curtail the band from going overboard with Pro Tools -- songs that are OK on St. Anger at 8 minutes long could've been really popping if trimmed to 5.5 minutes.

During the course of that tour and subsequent tours and one-off shows they've played most of the songs from the album at one point or another, but not "Invisible Kid," "Shoot Me Again," "Purify" or "My World."  The original release of "St. Anger" came with a DVD of them playing the whole album live in the studio, so clips from that are your only place to see "Invisible Kid" performed "live" at this point.  In time I suspect they'll play the remaining songs on tour somewhere -- those four "St. Anger" songs are the only songs they have left that they haven't played live at some point.

The one played the most was "Frantic" but it had certain modifications live -- trimmed slightly live and a guitar solo added by Kirk.  Here's the breakdown of the rest:

"Frantic" and "Dirty Window" were last played during the 30th anniversary Fillmore shows in 2011.
"St. Anger"  hasn't been played since 2006.
"Sweet Amber" was only played 9/4/04 in Lubbock, TX
"Some Kind of Monster" was last played 8/27/04 in Chicago (it's only been played 3 times).
"Unnamed Feeling" was last played 3/14/04 in Fresno, CA (it's only been played 5 times).
"All Within My Hands" was only played at the two Bridge School Benefit shows in 2007.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: January 26, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »
Lars has actually improved recently but still speeds up. Kirk however can barely play a solo accurately.

Back in 2004-2006 kind of time you would listen to them live just waiting for Lars to completely screw up - but he barely messes up these days - just plays a bit fast whereas Kirk can hardly play a solo.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #880 on: January 26, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »
I disagree. I think Kirk has a very cool soloing style. He tends to be a little sloppy, he's certainly no JP/Satriani/Vai kind of player. I mean, Page was sloppy as well but rocked nonetheless. I think the same can be said for KH.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: January 26, 2014, 08:44:32 AM »
Listening to Kirk solo - he goes way off the tempo and just faffs until he can accent on a downbeat. he does it all the time.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
I'm with kotowboy on this one (how the fuck do we not have an easier, abbreviated nickname for you by now?!) Kirk seems to shoehorn groups of notes which are played in threes either into a triplet feel when they aren't or vice versa (never sat down with it to figure it out) he bends notes sourly, and is pretty badly awkward with a wah pedal for someone who's probably used one since the late 70s.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:45:20 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #883 on: January 26, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
I'm with you guys. Is the problem here just not practising, just like with Lars? It'd be awesome if he could nail things like the solo from The Struggle Within again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: January 26, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »
Lars has said he's been practicing to music recently - and I think the 2012 tour at least shows.

The Black Album Anniversary shows were a big improvement for him.

I'm with kotowboy on this one (how the fuck do we not have an easier, abbreviated nickname for you by now?!)

K.B.  or Dave.

Offline Onno

« Reply #885 on: January 26, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »
That's true. I still don't like his fills (especially compared to the 80s-early 90s) and his timing/speeding up is still bad, but at least he's got some speed back.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #886 on: January 26, 2014, 12:33:31 PM »
I'm surprised how Kirk Hammett gets little credit as a guitarist. He's not as popular as Lars or Kirk.

Dave Mustaine is considered a guitar legend, or will be. But none of the Metallica guys have a reputation like that. And they're the more popular band.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #887 on: January 26, 2014, 01:08:06 PM »
I'm surprised how Kirk Hammett gets little credit as a guitarist. He's not as popular as Lars or Kirk.
:lol
I'm assuming you meant James, but I'd agree that Kirk of today is not as popular as Kirk of thirty or even twenty years ago.  Compared to Lars, I'd disagree that Lars is more popular. Nevermind, forget that. No matter how much crap Kirk may get, Lars is still the more popular punching bag of Metallica.

Dave Mustaine is considered a guitar legend, or will be. But none of the Metallica guys have a reputation like that. And they're the more popular band.
I guess it depends upon whom you talk to, but I don't know if I'd consider him to be a guitar legend. In his glory days, I'd say Dave was infinitely more innovative and interesting as a guitarist, but I don't think I'd place him up with Jimmy Page, Dave Gilmour, Tony Iommi, Alex Liefson or any other legends that could be named.

As for their popularity, well, I guess that just speaks to how popularity and quality do not always go hand-in-hand.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: January 26, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »
I'm assuming you meant James, but I'd agree that Kirk of today is not as popular as Kirk of thirty or even twenty years ago.  Compared to Lars, I'd disagree that Lars is more popular. Nevermind, forget that. No matter how much crap Kirk may get, Lars is still the more popular punching bag of Metallica.

You people are confusing the hell out of me.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #889 on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »

You people are confusing the hell out of me.   :lol
:facepalm: :lol

It sounded fine in my head!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #890 on: January 26, 2014, 01:29:50 PM »
Kirk came from Exodus. Exodus is still around, right? Haven't listened to them. Are they a thrash band? When I hear Exodus mentioned I think of them as a death metal band.

I never really hear or read any positive comments about Kirk. I often hear things like: he's mediocre, his solos are bland, not original. I'm curious about how much of Metallicas songwriting can be credited to him. And is he the only one that gets to play guitar solos, on recordings and live?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #891 on: January 26, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
James plays a couple solos, I can think of 3 or 4 but its mainly Kirk.  Kirk just has terrible intonation, which is the main reason I can't stand his incessant, incoherent wankfests.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #892 on: January 26, 2014, 02:55:58 PM »
James is not spoken of highly as a lead guitarist because that's not what he is.  However, he is pound for pound one of the best rhythm guitarists out there and gets much love for that from fans, fellow musicians and critics alike.   :metal

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #893 on: January 26, 2014, 02:58:36 PM »
60% of the time, his solos are better than Kirks.  Every time. 

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #894 on: January 26, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »
60% of the time, his solos are better than Kirks.  Every time.
:rollin :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: January 26, 2014, 03:58:37 PM »
James is much better at soloing than Kirk - he may not be technical or fast or shreddy but he plays for the song and it's always tasteful.

I had a thought recently. Since James recorded *all* rhythms for The Black Album and recorded the Nothing Else Matters solo - that means that

Kirk is not even on that song at all :lol

Some of James' best solos :

• Nothing Else Matters
• First half of Master Of Puppets
• First half of Suicide & Redemption

There's a comprehensive list on the net of all James' solos and you'd be surprised which ones are his.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #896 on: January 26, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
Kirk came from Exodus. Exodus is still around, right? Haven't listened to them. Are they a thrash band? When I hear Exodus mentioned I think of them as a death metal band.
Exodus is doing better than ever these days, and you aren't completely off with the Death Metal thought. With the addition of Rob Dukes, their already visceral sound is the complete package.

But there older stuff is definitely thrash.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #897 on: January 26, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »
James' solo on To Live is To Die is probably one of the best Metallica solos of like, ever. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #898 on: January 26, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »
Exodus is doing better than ever these days, and you aren't completely off with the Death Metal thought. With the addition of Rob Dukes, their already visceral sound is the complete package.

But there older stuff is definitely thrash.

I have not heard a lot of their stuff with Dukes, but what I have heard is *VERY* impressive. 

I have a difficult time listening to really aggressive music any more....but I know the style so well from my youth that I can tell when it's being done well.   I heard a few tracks from Shovel Headed Kill Machine and Exhibit A, and I was pretty blown away.    Mostly, I was just surprised that they didn't get a Souza clone...that probably would have been the better business decision.   But I've never been a fan of "the smart business decision" when it comes to music.    I think integrity is more important, and right now I think Exodus has it in spades.   

He actually sounds a bit more like Baloff to me.   Maybe that's what they were going for.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #899 on: January 26, 2014, 11:34:50 PM »
trying to remember who said no one's ever accused metallica of being artsy.
i thought they were insta-artsy as soon as the UIS video dropped.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #900 on: January 27, 2014, 12:55:23 AM »
Was listening to Lulu. For the most part the sound of the guitars, drums etc. have the same 'sound' as DM. Seems like that's where they're comfortable. I will say that I kinda hope on the next one they write in a way thats less reliant on compiling a bunch of riffs from demos into a song, and go more with, you know, Feeling, so that the songs flow better. I like DM a lot, and that's my only complaint. I feel like the thrash side played a big part in DM because they feel some pressure, but they still did stuff like Unforgiven. You know, the 'commercial' stuff people hate so much. I hope they go about the next one in a similar way.

BTW, what Metallica album would you guys say DM is the most similar to?

Offline Ruba

« Reply #901 on: January 27, 2014, 03:40:06 AM »
I just listened to ...And Justice for All. I had forgotten how great it is. There are three songs I don't like that much, but that are good nevertheless (The Shortest Straw, Harvester of Sorrow, The Frayed Ends of Sanity). The remaining six songs are awesome. Easily better album than TBA. I wish they'd written more songs like on this album, with lengthy and melodic instrumental passages. TBA's melodic content is by far inferior. One thing about bugs me though. Lars plays very often something slightly off-beat.

Eye of the Beholder is a real kick-ass song. Why haven't they played in its entirety since Damaged Justice tour?

I can't really rank albums, since I haven't heard all of Kill 'Em All. I haven't listened to Ride the Lightning as an album, only the individual songs. But since I don't care about thrash metal anymore, those albums aren't exactly my thing. KEA is pretty much Diamond Head played 20% faster. Ride the Lightning has awful production and worst James vocals IMO. I have heard St.Anger only once and haven't listened too much to Death Magnetic either. But some kind of ranking could be:

Master of Puppets
Load
...And Justice for All
--------------------------
ReLoad
Metallica
--------------------------
Ride the Lightning
Kill 'Em All
St. Anger

No Leaf Clover and -Human are great IMO, but I don't like I Disappear. It has awesome chorus, but rest of the song is quite bad.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #902 on: January 27, 2014, 03:51:41 AM »
Heyyyy hey HEY!

FatAlbertcore :metal

Man, they really didn't work out that piano collab with Ken Jeong at the Grammy's tonight. It's like stepping on some grapes with your dirty bare feet and immediately pouring the juice into a glass and calling it cabernet.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #903 on: January 27, 2014, 04:17:19 AM »

I think of DM as the missing link between AJFA and TBA.  It seems like a 'perfect' melding of the two. 

Offline Onno

« Reply #904 on: January 27, 2014, 04:28:56 AM »
Heyyyy hey HEY!

Man, they really didn't work out that piano collab with Ken Jeong at the Grammy's tonight. It's like stepping on some grapes with your dirty bare feet and immediately pouring the juice into a glass and calling it cabernet.
I gotta say, the collab not working out was mainly due to the complete lack of tempo stability (mainly Lars' fault). If they would have played it tight and not too fast, it would have been great. The concept was pretty cool anyway. I really liked Lang Lang nailing the guitar solo :P

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #905 on: January 27, 2014, 04:54:26 AM »
Heyyyy hey HEY!

I gotta say, the collab not working out was mainly due to the complete lack of tempo stability (mainly Lars' fault). If they would have played it tight and not too fast, it would have been great. The concept was pretty cool anyway. I really liked Lang Lang nailing the guitar solo :P

I'm watching it now, and I totally agree with you. 

Offline adace

« Reply #906 on: January 27, 2014, 05:05:45 AM »
It was a bit better than I was expecting as far as the band's performance goes. But I don't think the piano part jived with the song at all for the most part.

Still, it's great to have an actual metal band perform at the Grammys and hopefully get more people interested in metal.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: January 27, 2014, 05:10:34 AM »

I think of DM as the missing link between AJFA and TBA.  It seems like a 'perfect' melding of the two.

Yeah somewhere between there. If DM had the production of the black album it may have ben one of their best.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: January 27, 2014, 05:15:06 AM »
Just watching the Grammy performance. James sounds good and no facial hair ! :P

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #909 on: January 27, 2014, 06:06:23 AM »
OH LOOK, RANKINGS ON DTF, MAKES A CHANGE.

I love it though.

1. ...And Justice For All
2. Master of Puppets
3. Load
4. Metallica
5. Death Magnetic
6. Ride the Lightning
7. Reload
8. Kill 'Em All
9. St. Anger

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.