Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379918 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #840 on: January 24, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
So I was thinking of watching Through the Never, should I proceed with that thought?

If you have two hours where you weren't doing anything fun anyway, why not?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #841 on: January 24, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »
So I was thinking of watching Through the Never, should I proceed with that thought?

If you have two hours where you weren't doing anything fun anyway, why not?
:lol That really didn't convince me at all.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #842 on: January 24, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »

It is actually a pretty fun movie. The storyline makes absolutely no sense at all, but does have some interesting visuals, and the concert portion is your typical Metallica show with a couple extra things (no big deal really, though), so it is a pretty fun watch.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #843 on: January 24, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »

It is actually a pretty fun movie. The storyline makes absolutely no sense at all, but does have some interesting visuals, and the concert portion is your typical Metallica show with a couple extra things (no big deal really, though), so it is a pretty fun watch.
Yea I pretty much had that figured out. :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #844 on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
The concert scenes are great; the story scenes are nonsensical, self-important, faux artsy foolishness.  And I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
And I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. :hat

I used to be but since 2001 it seems everything they've done has been detrimental to how they are perceived.

Death Magnetic and Beyond Magnetic are the two positives in almost 13 years of WTF-ery.

Metallica love doing the unexpected - which is ironic since right now - nobody expects them to do a new album. 

When it comes out I will listen to it - but i'm not expecting it to be any good.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #846 on: January 24, 2014, 09:04:30 PM »
When it comes out I will listen to it - but i'm not expecting it to be any good.

I really don't understand this sort of mindset. I'd much rather go in with no expectations than negative ones. There's really no way to know how it'll turn out and how it'll sit with the fanbase for that matter until we give it a listen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »
Well - considering they were trying their absolute best on Death Magnetic & that album was "good" at best - I don't see how they can better it in their early 50s.

The best thing they could do is put out another "Reload" - full of decent mid tempo & ballady songs that they can actually play live.

But anything with good audio would be a step up from DM.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #848 on: January 25, 2014, 02:55:20 AM »
hey kotowboy, dude....come on

I'm so tired of all these people bagging on Metallica. Even on albums that don't even exist yet. There's so many going into their new albums with already very negative ideas, looking for stuff they don't like and can complain about. I see this type so goddamn much. I know there is NO way they will say they enjoy a new Metallica record, even if it has everything they enjoy. Because it's Metallica. There are people that just fucking hate DM, even though it has what they've been saying what they want Metallica to do again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: January 25, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
hey notepad, dude...come on

I said Death Magnetic was "good".

There's the *other* type of Metallica fan that thinks everything they do is 10/10 just because it has their name on the front.

When a band says " we've done everything we can think of to NOT do this album - but now we're out of excuses " ( exact quote ) - then you know they're only doing it for

the sake of it and the result could only be half-assed at best.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:32:39 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #850 on: January 25, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »
When a band says " we've done everything we can think of to NOT do this album - but now we're out of excuses " ( exact quote ) - then you know they're only doing it for the sake of it and the result could only be half-assed at best.
Holy out of context Batman!!  I think you missed the joke -- it's called sarcasm.

And only half-assed at best?   ::)  DM kicks major ass.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: January 25, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »
I didn't say DM was half-assed - I in fact said they tried their best on that album if you actually read my post.

And it may be sarcasm but it's one of those "we joke but it's actually the truth" type things.

They have been doing everything but starting work on a new album.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #852 on: January 25, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
I read your post ... and in addition to demonstrating an inability to understand sarcasm by Lars it said -- and I'll quote you since precision is important to you -- that "the result could only be half assed at best."   ::)  You said that, not me.  You want to say such inane things then say them, man, but own it -- and don't blame me if you get called out for it.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: January 25, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »
Which was directed at the next album. Not DM.

What else ya got ?  :heart

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #854 on: January 25, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »
Nothing but love, Kotowboy.   :biggrin:

They've procrastinated for every album since "Justice"  ... while some might disagree on certain albums, I wouldn't call all of those results half-assed just because they're a band that seems to take forever to put out new music each time.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #855 on: January 25, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »

I'm so tired of all these people bagging on Metallica. Even on albums that don't even exist yet. There's so many going into their new albums with already very negative ideas, looking for stuff they don't like and can complain about. I see this type so goddamn much. I know there is NO way they will say they enjoy a new Metallica record, even if it has everything they enjoy. Because it's Metallica. There are people that just fucking hate DM, even though it has what they've been saying what they want Metallica to do again.

there's also a ton of fan-boy's that will blindly like a new metallica album no matter what they release. surely much of the fanbase that liked st anger upon its release fall into such a category.

and just cuz DM 'has what fans have been saying they want metallica to do again' doesnt mean it was well executed. i mean, i wouldnt actually know as i stopped spinning Tallica in '06 and thus havent heard it, but it seems a commom sentiment (and has been [re]referenced in just the most recent pages of this thread).

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #856 on: January 25, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »

there's also a ton of fan-boy's that will blindly like a new metallica album no matter what they release. surely much of the fanbase that liked st anger upon its release fall into such a category.

and just cuz DM 'has what fans have been saying they want metallica to do again' doesnt mean it was well executed. i mean, i wouldnt actually know as i stopped spinning Tallica in '06 and thus havent heard it, but it seems a commom sentiment (and has been [re]referenced in just the most recent pages of this thread).

That portion of the fanbase is either incredibly minuscule or more soft-spoken about their thoughts then. Really, there's fans like that in any fanbase.

I personally think DM was well executed (save production). A lot of the songs themselves are excellent and kick-ass, though if you've listened to the Beyond Magnetic EP, I could think of a couple of songs on DM that should have been swapped out for some of the stuff on the EP.

Either way, I think it's important to not just dismiss everybody who happens to actually like Death Magnetic, or even Load, Reload and St. Anger as just mindless fans.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: January 25, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »
I'm in no way a massive Metallica fan and I prefer Load & Reload to St. Anger & Death Magnetic.

It may be a straw man argument but I didn't blindly accept SA & DM " because at least dey woz methulz "

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #858 on: January 25, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »
It may be a straw man argument but I didn't blindly accept SA & DM " because at least dey woz methulz "

And that's perfectly fine. I didn't blindly decide I was going to like DM after I heard news that "it would be Metallica going back to their roots". I think most fans genuinely enjoy what they had to offer on that album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: January 25, 2014, 05:13:26 PM »
DM is a decent album. it's not up there with the first 5 by any means. I think people loved it so much just because it wasn't as bad as St. Anger.

if the next album is DM part 2 and has good production then people will be all over it just because it doesn't sound as bad as DM.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #860 on: January 25, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
I'm not a diehard Metallica fan by any means, I only own Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All.

And personally, I thought Death Magnetic was pretty decent, production issues aside.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #861 on: January 25, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »
I'm in that boat. DM is good, though not up there with the first 5. If they fix the production issues, then that's already a step up.

And well, if the next album ends up being better than DM, then of course people will generally be more kind towards it. Isn't that just a given?

I don't see the need in making up excuses for why people might like certain albums.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #862 on: January 25, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
Death Magnetic is pretty good, they're excellent live.  These songs come alive more live than in the studio, but their are songs like that from many bands.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #863 on: January 25, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »
And I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. :hat

I used to be but since 2001 it seems everything they've done has been detrimental to how they are perceived.

Death Magnetic and Beyond Magnetic are the two positives in almost 13 years of WTF-ery.

Metallica love doing the unexpected - which is ironic since right now - nobody expects them to do a new album. 

Just 13 years?  ;D
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #864 on: January 25, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »
Judging from what the band members have said recently, they realize that DM was in the right direction and will be heading further that way with the next album. Funny how the way St Anger and DM were described by press releases before they were released described each with pretty much the same words and phrases.

St. Anger is kickass. I'v been listening to it a lot lately. I'm not gonna start this argument again, I just want to express how much of a shame i feel it is that it's reputation is as a joke. I really hope in the years to come there will be more respect for it. I don't even think the band plays any of the songs live, do they?

Although I do wonder how a live performance of Invisible Kid would be. I'v never watched them play it. I'm gonna go look and see if there's a video.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #865 on: January 25, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »
Judging from what the band members have said recently, they realize that DM was in the right direction and will be heading further that way with the next album. Funny how the way St Anger and DM were described by press releases before they were released described each with pretty much the same words and phrases.

St. Anger is kickass. I'v been listening to it a lot lately. I'm not gonna start this argument again, I just want to express how much of a shame i feel it is that it's reputation is as a joke. I really hope in the years to come there will be more respect for it. I don't even think the band plays any of the songs live, do they?

Although I do wonder how a live performance of Invisible Kid would be. I'v never watched them play it. I'm gonna go look and see if there's a video.

Ah man, it will never happen... People hate this album, and they have plenty good reasons for it, trust me,i know you like the album but it's not just blind hate.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:35:02 PM by Outcrier »

Offline NotePad

« Reply #866 on: January 25, 2014, 11:53:58 PM »
Most of the criticism of Load/Reload/St. Anger come from people heavily into metal. I mean, from what I'v seen and read and people I'v talked to, mostly online.

Back around when St. Anger came out I was in high-school. I remember a lot of friends and classmates who really liked it. Most of them weren't really into metal, most of them being more into popular rock(and metal) bands and rap. That says something about the quality of the songs; they judged St. Anger on it's own, not in comparison to their other albums or heavy metal bands. Most Metallica fans/critics love Metallica for their older and thrashier albums. So it's no surprise they are negative about St. Anger.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #867 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:04 PM »
I like metal. I like rap. I like prog. I like folk, post-rock, djent, death metal, grunge, black metal, pop rock and power metal.

The dislike of St. Anger isn't because it's "not metal".

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #868 on: January 25, 2014, 11:58:52 PM »
Most of the criticism of Load/Reload/St. Anger come from people heavily into metal. I mean, from what I'v seen and read and people I'v talked to, mostly online.

I agree that these albums have more backslash than they deserves (like saying they're some of the worst albums ever, that isn't true) but there's plenty of people that didn't enjoy them simply because they don't like them as music, nothing to do with change of genres or styles.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #869 on: January 25, 2014, 11:59:19 PM »
The dislike of St. Anger isn't because it's "not metal".

That's it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #870 on: January 26, 2014, 12:38:20 AM »

St Anger is fast, angry metal, so I don't see that as a problem. The problem is just that it's an overall weak album imo. And I don't mean that as empty bashing, as I do think it has a few good tracks, and some good ideas, but overall people just dislike it because it's not well written, or well performed, or well produced. Maybe it gets a little bit more hate than it deserves, but not by much.

It does play more of a part with Load/Reload, especially with metal fans who were into the band prior to that, and then had the curveball of some blues hard rock. That said, there are also plenty of people who dislike those albums because there are a lot of dud songs on there, and was essentially one album of writing padded out to a double album.
I do think a lot of songs on Load and Reload are among Metallica's best, and hugely underrated, so I do agree there are a lot of diehard thrash fans who hated those albums merely on principle (even here on DTF), but I'm also not going to discount that a lot of people gave those albums a fair chance and just didn't think they were good.

I listen to Metallica's non-thrash stuff like TBA, Load and Reload a lot more than I do the first 4 albums these days, so I'll always defend those albums, but everyone's got their own valid opinion. :)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: January 26, 2014, 12:44:11 AM »
I think Metallica is much better than And Justice For All.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #872 on: January 26, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »
It's my favourite Metallica album by a fair margin, so I'd agree. But AJFA would be my favourite of the thrash era albums, but unfortunately the shitty production stops me from ever listening to it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: January 26, 2014, 01:18:46 AM »
If I was to rate them chronologically - for me they'd go :

Kill < Ride < Master > AJFA < Metallica < Load = Reload **  > St. Anger < Death Magnetic.

** ( still can't decide which I like more )

For such a huge band - They really have got way too many awful sounding albums.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #874 on: January 26, 2014, 01:51:04 AM »
It's my favourite Metallica album by a fair margin, so I'd agree. But AJFA would be my favourite of the thrash era albums, but unfortunately the shitty production stops me from ever listening to it.

AJFA is my fav overall but i never enjoyed Metallica that much even when i was into thrash metal.