Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379752 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #805 on: January 13, 2014, 10:39:35 PM »
The meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs was the first SUPAH COLLIDAH !!!

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #806 on: January 13, 2014, 10:46:26 PM »
jason > cliff

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: January 13, 2014, 11:00:28 PM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #808 on: January 13, 2014, 11:07:43 PM »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #809 on: January 13, 2014, 11:29:31 PM »
jason > cliff

I love Jason...but I can't believe I just read this.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline NotePad

« Reply #810 on: January 13, 2014, 11:38:44 PM »
Metallica vs Megadeth

Metallica is much better. Just sayin'. Saw Super Collider mentioned....

Super Collider is not very good.......it's like Megadeth lite. Not like Mustaine can't do full on Megadeth anymore. No, he can. But he tried something different and failed. I was gonna say he should take a page out of Metallica's book and experiment more with their sound, but he did experiment with this album. Just not in the right direction.

I hear people saying Super Collider is more of a rock album rather than a metal album. I don't think so. It's been a month since i listened to it, but i remember it sounding heavy, a lot heavier than what should be branded 'rock'. But then again, maybe my definition's of 'rock' and 'metal' are messed up, because I don't notice these things a lot. Apparently Edguy's newer stuff is more hard rock, but i still hear metal- power metal. I was listening to part of Porcupine Tree's album Deadwing i think it's called, and was thinking 'This isn't really metal. It' more rock'. I hear Porcupine Tree put into the category of progressive metal. I hear rock. Progressice rock actually.

Sorry, i go off on tangents sometime. What were you guys talking about? Bass. Jason Newsted.

Do you think if Newsted stayed in the band, would they have done St. Anger? Do you think the album would be a lot different then St Anger, or very similar? I read the article recently where he said he wasn't a fan of St. Anger. I find it funny, because i bet if he decided to stick it out in Metallica, he would've been playing bass on that exact same album. I think this because it doesn't sound as if he had much musical input with the band, this of course because the guys apparently didn't care much for him...

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #811 on: January 13, 2014, 11:43:22 PM »
I think, musically, Megadeth are far more interesting.  Better riffs, better solos, better writing in general.

I think if Newsted hadn't left, he would've been sacked.  He wasn't ready to ride the self improvement train, so I don't see the rest of the guys having any other option. 

Newsted is awesome tho.  He wrote Blackened.  So there.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #812 on: January 13, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »
Did he write many Metallica songs? Cuz they seem more like a band that writes collaboratively. Some bands write songs individually and compile them into an album, and that often results in a lack of flow. Metallica's albums always flow well and have an overall sound or feeling.

And yea, I don't think he would have cooperated with what they were doing with St. Anger. He clearly had enough of Metallica. Rockstar Supernova was a bad move. Well, musically. But in other ways it may have been good that he put himself out there. Anyone ever listen to the Supernova album? Goddamn terrible. The best song was the one written by the singer, you know, the guy who won the contest....i wonder what happened to that guy. He had talent.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #813 on: January 14, 2014, 12:03:12 AM »
AFAIK he wrote riffs for Blackened and My Friend of Misery.  Metallica don't usually write 'collaboratively' per se.  Kirk and James (and I guess whoevers on bass) record their riff ideas to tape and Hetfield/Ulrich sift through the riff tapes and form songs from the ideas.  Then Hetfield writes the vocal parts.  At least thats how they used to do it.  St. Anger was the exception, which they address in SKOM.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #814 on: January 14, 2014, 12:24:26 AM »
Pardon the drop in post, but:

Pantera > Megadeth/Metallica

Bye now.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #815 on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:44 AM »
Phil and I share a hometown but NO. They had exactly two good albums (CFH, VDoP) and everything else was merely dotted with good songs. Metallica has the golden three, TBA (better than any post VDoP albums), and KEA (far behind the first two but far beyond FBD.) As for Megadeth, RIP is as good as anything put out by the three bands and PSBWB is a hair better than CFH/VDoP and a hair below the level of the golden three. Megadeth's shit albums mortally stomp Metallica and Pantera's shit albums imo.

It's cool to have this debate though since these are my first three metal bands I ever got into and this is the first time I've ever had the chance to compare and discuss them all at once on this forum.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:26:11 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #816 on: January 14, 2014, 12:50:49 AM »
I prefer the two Peaces over any Metallica album, i just enjoy them more.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #817 on: January 14, 2014, 12:51:25 AM »
Megadeth's shit albums mortally stomp Metallica and Pantera's shit albums

Well said.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #818 on: January 14, 2014, 12:53:23 AM »
AFAIK he wrote riffs for Blackened and My Friend of Misery.

Where the Wild Things Are too.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #819 on: January 14, 2014, 12:54:59 AM »
Oh yeah I wasn't sure.  I don't think I ever bothered with that song lol.   2 outta 3 aint bad.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: January 14, 2014, 03:35:46 AM »
Mastodon are the current champs. 5 studio albums, an instrumental EP and 1 mini-LP so far and they've yet to mis-step.

I'm confident their new album will be awesome and they'll have put out 6 albums in a row which are all great.

New Mastodon album in 2014 means 7 full length releases in 14 years. Which is pretty good going.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #821 on: January 14, 2014, 06:57:41 AM »
Oh yeah I wasn't sure.  I don't think I ever bothered with that song lol.   2 outta 3 aint bad.

Hey, that's a good one.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #822 on: January 14, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
Mastodon are the current champs. 5 studio albums, an instrumental EP and 1 mini-LP so far and they've yet to mis-step.

I'm confident their new album will be awesome and they'll have put out 6 albums in a row which are all great.

New Mastodon album in 2014 means 7 full length releases in 14 years. Which is pretty good going.

What about Opeth? They've put 8 amazing albums in a row.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #823 on: January 14, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »
In before Orchid/Morningrise haters.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #824 on: January 14, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »
In before Orchid/Morningrise haters.
Also in before My Arms, Your Hearse haters (how do these exist?!?!)

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #825 on: January 14, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »
back to jason. that guy was shit on way too much for way too long. fuck hetfield.

i'd honestly say jason is was the most 'metallica' member of metallica. what other member adored them before becoming a member? sure he was held back in the writing and in the studio, but that fucker brought it live more than anyone else and connected with the audience more than ayone else(?).

as for megadave vs metallica. its too convenient to shit on dave post super collider. i stopped listening to metallica 8 years ago ("so what are yuo doing viewing/posting in this thread!?") but only stopped listening to megadave after 4 spins of the super collider leak the week before its release (surely that wasnt enough to stop me forever?! we'll see).
was pretty funny though how TBA sold more copies the second week of june than did super collider (as i think was mentioned maybe in this thread or in the megadave thread)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #826 on: January 14, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
jason > cliff

jason>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cliff (at being alive)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #827 on: January 14, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
Don't know if I should laugh at that....

:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: January 14, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »
it's been nearly 28 years.

Laugh away.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »
back to jason. that guy was shit on way too much for way too long. fuck hetfield.

According to Jason - the hazing was only for like 6 months and that was before he was even officially in the band. After he was asked to join full time and not just to finish the tour - it tailed off.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #830 on: January 14, 2014, 09:29:28 PM »
I think the hazing went on a little longer actually, considering they didn't let him play on ...And Justice For All.

:neverusethis:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #831 on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:08 PM »
On the A Year and a Half in the Life of VHS, I think he mentions it as a current thing and that came out in '92 or '93.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #832 on: January 15, 2014, 12:34:31 AM »
like he didnt ALWAYS have hetfield standing there, arms crossed, staring him down as he recorded his parts.

and he probs had enough beer bottles thrown at him when trying to bring forth an idea during a jam to learn best not do that.

the unexaggerated kicker is how he was strictly forbid from releasing music with other musicians.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #833 on: January 15, 2014, 01:21:54 AM »
Interesting to think that neither Lars no Hetfield have done other projects. At least none that i know of. I assume that, since that was one reason for kicking out Newsted.

Instead, if anyone has any idea for other musical ventures that are off the beaten trail, they have to do it together. As Metallica. Therefore Lulu was born.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #834 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »
Shit, they made a 27-song Load, St. Anger, and Death Magnetic over a 14-year stretch and followed that with 5 years of vaguely worded stall tactics. It ain't surprising that they ain't trying to cook for the whole neighborhood when they can't even finish a meal in their own house.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:13 AM »
Shit, they made a 27-song Load, St. Anger, and Death Magnetic over a 14-year stretch and followed that with 5 years of vaguely worded stall tactics. It ain't surprising that they ain't trying to cook for the whole neighborhood when they can't even finish a meal in their own house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SIk6YgUwhY&t=47s  :p

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #836 on: January 15, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »
Interesting to think that neither Lars no Hetfield have done other projects. At least none that i know of. I assume that, since that was one reason for kicking out Newsted.

Instead, if anyone has any idea for other musical ventures that are off the beaten trail, they have to do it together. As Metallica. Therefore Lulu was born.

Just to make sure, I think Newsted quit the band.  Though, something like the whole "Lars and/or James does not allow side-projects or something like that" led to him quitting.  Either way, I think he was bound on his way out anyway.

Now to show this video, since seeing Lars act like a douchbag pleases me for entertainment reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_8E3FOU4s

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #837 on: January 15, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »

Just to make sure, I think Newsted quit the band.  Though, something like the whole "Lars and/or James does not allow side-projects or something like that" led to him quitting.  Either way, I think he was bound on his way out anyway.

Now to show this video, since seeing Lars act like a douchbag pleases me for entertainment reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_8E3FOU4s

I find the immense Lars hate even more amusing. Not that it's not grounded, but these are essentially people giving the current Lars shit for what he's said 10 years ago.

But on that note, Some Kind of Monster is a great watch.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #838 on: January 24, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
Just wanted to clarify something I said earlier about TBA. There are a couple of other huge reasons why I don't consider it a great or classic album - Lars plays the same exact drum beat in every song, and Kirk plays pretty much the same wah solo in every song. That's so lazy compared to their respective efforts on the previous album.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #839 on: January 24, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »
So I was thinking of watching Through the Never, should I proceed with that thought?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls