Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379727 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #735 on: January 06, 2014, 08:12:56 PM »
Hardcore longtime Metallica fans don't view the Black Album as a classic, they view it as the one that broke them to the mainstream.  I agree with Tom that the first four albums are a whole different level.

That's because longtime Metallica fans hate anything that isn't thrashing the E string at 500bpm for 8 minutes straight.

Agreed, it's not in the same level as the first 4 albums but is a classic anyway.

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #736 on: January 06, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
Hardcore longtime Metallica fans don't view the Black Album as a classic, they view it as the one that broke them to the mainstream.  I agree with Tom that the first four albums are a whole different level.

That's because longtime Metallica fans hate anything that isn't thrashing the E string at 500bpm for 8 minutes straight.

Agreed, it's not in the same level as the first 4 albums but is a classic anyway.

I am one of those people that viewed the Black Album as a big let down.    But NOT because it was different.    After three VERY similar albums, it was obvious that a change of some sort was needed.

What bothered me (an many Metallica fans at the time) was that they had come as far as they had by breaking new ground and doing what they wanted to do.   No radio airplay, no music videos (until One)...they were playing metal like it had never been played to the public before.   What they were doing was unprecedented.

The first four albums (yes, even KEA *at the time*) was breaking new ground.    But The Black Album turned Metallica from trend setters, to trend followers.   TBA, while being a extremely good and listenable metal album, was pretty cliched.   It was nothing that hadn't been done before.      Yes it was catchy.   But you could almost dance to it.   That really seemed to go against everything Metallica had built up to that point.

I wanted change, but I wanted something that would continue to piss off most people.    Even if they would have simplified and released some form of early groove album...but made it even heavier.    Can you imagine James Hetfield singing on something more akin to Sepultura's Chaos AD???    Now *THAT* would have been Grammy worthy. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #737 on: January 06, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »
I'm pretty spotty on Metallica history and that stuff, but at that point in time, would have even been capable of singing like that?

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #738 on: January 06, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »
We'll, he was much more of a thrash vocalist, not a "singer" per se, during the first 4 albums.  He totally ragged out his voice during the AJFA tour and subsequent Black Album recording and that was when he first started with vocal lessons to teach him to use his voice properly and preserve it because at that point he was on a collision course for wrecking it permanently.

Thereafter, he became more of a "singer."  So I'd say his singing ability really was just developing at that point.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #739 on: January 06, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »
Dancing to TBA? What the hell kind of dance would that be?! :lol It's a straight up headbanging metal album, just as the first 4 were.
TBA was actually more complex than the first four albums, it was just more concise and accessible at the same time, in the perfect blend. It had more layered guitars and vocals, additional instruments, better vocal lines, more variety, mixed with strong songwriting and amazing production. To me it was pretty much the peak of the mountain for Metallica, sloping off on both sides.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: January 06, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »
What jammindude wrote about the Black Album could easily be applied to Queensryche's Empire - I remember both albums getting exactly the same response from diehard fans,  but as they released more and more shite albums , most fans came to appreciate what they had in those two albums.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #741 on: January 06, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
Well, Chaos AD is like an equivalent (for each band discography) if compared to the Black Album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #742 on: January 06, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
I was just randomly listening to Death Magnetic after no listening to it since probably a couple of months after it came out.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like some of the songs.  It's really just the production that keeps me from listening to it.  I'm not overly sensitive to overly hot mastering in many cases, but this is one of those albums where it definitely stands out and hinders my enjoyment significantly.  But the songs themselves are actually really good. 

So that prompted me to listen to St. Anger.  I may be the only person who had never previously heard St. Anger before.  Now I have.  Now I understand the criticism.  So, so bad.  I only listened to the first two songs in their entirety and got part way through Some Kind of Monster before having to turn if off (although that song was a step up from the first two). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #743 on: January 06, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
I've only heard Frantic. I enjoy it, but mostly for lols.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »

I use Frantic as my alarm clock, because if that noise doesn't get you out of bed and hitting the alarm, nothing will. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #745 on: January 06, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »
MY LIFESTYLE

DETERMINES MY DEATHSTYLE

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: January 06, 2014, 08:57:35 PM »

I use Frantic as my alarm clock, because if that noise doesn't get you out of bed and hitting the alarm, nothing will. :lol

Haha..........as a teenager I had a similar thought and used some Nitro as my alarm.  Never once late for uni from that point.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #747 on: January 06, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
MY LIFESTYLE

DETERMINES MY DEATHSTYLE

Epic lyrics detected  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: January 06, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »

Haha..........as a teenager I had a similar thought and used some Nitro as my alarm.  Never once late for uni from that point.

:rollin I'd rather not wake up with the feeling I'm about to get mauled by a pack of pissed off cats. I'll stick to waking up with the feeling that a Danish midget is banging a trashcan against my head.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #749 on: January 06, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
I'll stick to waking up with the feeling that a Danish midget is banging a trashcan against my head.

Quote from: Ben Roethlisberger
THAT'S FUNNY BECAUSE LARS IS DANISH.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #750 on: January 06, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »
And coincidentally he looks like another Ben. The youngest kid on Growing Pains.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #751 on: January 06, 2014, 09:54:10 PM »
The thing that made me lol most about Some Kind of Monster (song) are that the "Yeah!"s that James uses.  It may be the most laughable ones ever incorporated.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: January 06, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »
The thing that made me lol most about Some Kind of Monster (song) are that the "Yeah!"s that James uses.  It may be the most damage ever incorporated.

:neverusethis:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #753 on: January 06, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »
The thing that made me lol most about Some Kind of Monster (song) are that the "Yeah!"s that James uses.  It may be the most laughable ones ever incorporated.
Yeah.

:neverusethis:

Offline NotePad

« Reply #754 on: January 08, 2014, 12:39:56 AM »
So today i finally gave Lulu a good listen. Only the first half so far. I still stand by all i said earlier.

But i must admit that while listening to it alone in my car i laughed multiple times. What made me laugh was some of Lou Reed's lyrics. They are pretty outrageous at times. At other times though i really loved his lyrics. I don't like the monotony of his voice reading them. I don't listen to any other Lou Reed stuff so i don't know if this is his usual style or if he was just doing something different here. I'm sure the guy can carry a tune so i wish at times he had more melody and actually sang. To me, this is the major downfall of Lulu. I love his poetry, i love Hetfield's vocal parts, and the music was great. Very interesting. As i'v heard said before, there are Black Sabbath-like riffs in parts that i really enjoyed. And Lars was good as he usually is IMO.

But yea, it's fuckin weird. And I love it. There is no other band like Metallica and i don't think there ever will be. They're #1 and do something like Lulu. I can't see another band having this happen to them.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #755 on: January 08, 2014, 12:42:51 AM »
Listen to Metal Machine Music later, you will love it  :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #756 on: January 08, 2014, 12:54:52 AM »
So today i finally gave Lulu a good listen. Only the first half so far. I still stand by all i said earlier.

But i must admit that while listening to it alone in my car i laughed multiple times. What made me laugh was some of Lou Reed's lyrics. They are pretty outrageous at times. At other times though i really loved his lyrics. I don't like the monotony of his voice reading them. I don't listen to any other Lou Reed stuff so i don't know if this is his usual style or if he was just doing something different here. I'm sure the guy can carry a tune so i wish at times he had more melody and actually sang. To me, this is the major downfall of Lulu. I love his poetry, i love Hetfield's vocal parts, and the music was great. Very interesting. As i'v heard said before, there are Black Sabbath-like riffs in parts that i really enjoyed. And Lars was good as he usually is IMO.

But yea, it's fuckin weird. And I love it. There is no other band like Metallica and i don't think there ever will be. They're #1 and do something like Lulu. I can't see another band having this happen to them.

If you haven't heard the last track (Junior Dad) yet....please do.   Even most people that hate Lulu admit that it's the highlight of the album.   And those that CAN tolerate Lulu (like me) say it's one of Metallica's best tracks. 

Offline NotePad

« Reply #757 on: January 08, 2014, 01:24:07 AM »
Yea i heard about that one. Apparently an interview (a famous one i hear) with Metallica reveals their love for Junior Dad.

And of course, i listened some more to....you guessed it: St. Anger! The drums i like. I find it refreshing. I'm surprised thrash fans/fans of old and super thrashy Metallica hate on it so much. It's definately the band that made MoP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: January 08, 2014, 06:51:54 AM »
I know some fans won't include Metallica with the first four albums but I don't see Kill Em All as all that great.

It's a reasonable debut as best - not great sound quality and has one or two songs on it that wound up as classics.

They had to erase a whole section out of The Four Horsemen later to make it good as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #759 on: January 08, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »
I know some fans won't include Metallica with the first four albums but I don't see Kill Em All as all that great.

It's a reasonable debut as best - not great sound quality and has one or two songs on it that wound up as classics.

They had to erase a whole section out of The Four Horsemen later to make it good as well.

Agreed.  I love Whiplash, and Seek and Destroy is pretty great, too, but everything else is just a blur to me.  It doesn't help that I am not a fan of speed metal, so the furious nature of the debut is not really my thing.  I'd definitely take The Black Album over it.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #760 on: January 08, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
Yeah, Kill 'Em All is a solid debut but not much more for me. The classic albums are without a doubt Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and And Justice For All. While I do like Load, it's really the only album after And Justice.. that I revisit, and even then it's not that often. But yeah, those three classic albums alone are so good that the fact that they became pretty lame afterwards doesn't matter that much.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #761 on: January 08, 2014, 08:18:14 AM »
Wow, I cannot believe the what I'm hearing about Kill "Em All.
It's pretty raw, but the album is absolute genius and the foundation for everything that came after it. I rank it as one of the most important metal albums of all time.

Oh well, I guess if you don't like listening to it, so be it. I hate the Beatles! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: January 08, 2014, 08:25:15 AM »

I don't like it as much as TBA, AJFA, or MOP, but it's a much more solid album than RTL imo, and I really like it as an album.
There is some saminess with the filler songs, but they're still enjoyable, and there's not a track I dislike on it (aside from the few minutes of random bass noise in the middle), and I think the production is actually quite good considering (again, better than RTL).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #763 on: January 08, 2014, 08:27:31 AM »
I've always considered RTL as my least favorite of the original four, and even TBA, but it has really grown on me.  It feels rushed. But RTL has some of Kirk's best solos. Very melodic and memorable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #764 on: January 08, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »
Wow, I cannot believe the what I'm hearing about Kill "Em All.
It's pretty raw, but the album is absolute genius and the foundation for everything that came after it. I rank it as one of the most important metal albums of all time.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #765 on: January 08, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »

What?  That part is awesome.  Also, they had to ADD it in to the original to stop it being exactly the same as Mechanix, musically :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: January 08, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
The Four Horsemen > > > > > > > The Mechanix.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #767 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
The Four Horsemen > > > > > > > The Mechanix.
This.  :clap:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #768 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »

What?  That part is awesome.  Also, they had to ADD it in to the original to stop it being exactly the same as Mechanix, musically :lol

Exactly my thought. KEA is virtually bereft of melody so any kind of melodic part is more than welcome on it. The fact that it's actually a pretty damn good part makes it an even sweeter contrast.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jammindude

« Reply #769 on: January 08, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »

I don't like it as much as TBA, AJFA, or MOP, but it's a much more solid album than RTL imo, and I really like it as an album.
There is some saminess with the filler songs, but they're still enjoyable, and there's not a track I dislike on it (aside from the few minutes of random bass noise in the middle), and I think the production is actually quite good considering (again, better than RTL).

It's only been in the last year (and ONLY in prog rock forums) that I've ever heard any dislike for Anesthesia.   When i was 14, and that album was new...I knew SO MANY GUYS that wanted to play the bass *JUST* because of that song.    Everyone I knew thought it was absolutely amazing.    As teens, we thought it was the "Eruption" of the bass.    It may not be as technical, but it was so freaking awesome that it made a whole generation of longhairs want to pick up a bass instead of a six string.